• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which had the best overall fighting game library, Saturn or Dreamcast?

Which platform had the best fighting game library?

• Saturn

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Dreamcast

Votes: 13 59.1%

• Total voters

Kazza

Thread inspired by today's video on the same topic from Sega Lord X:

The same youtuber already did separate videos listing his top 10 fighting games for both the Dreamcast and Saturn.

As he says, although he tried to be fairly objective, his own personal experiences inevitably influenced his judgement. Video in summary:
- 3D fighting games goes to the Dreamcast, no contest (only VF2 and Fighters Megamix can really mix it with the best of the Dreamcast)
- for SNK fighters the Dreamcast just pips it in terms of being closer to the NeoGeo originals, but the Saturn has a greater number and variety
- Saturn wins hands-down in terms of quirky fighting games, such as Astra Superstars (a kind of flying 2D fighting game)
- Saturn had the best Mortal Kombat games
- Capcom is too close to call

Overall, the Saturn just about wins out for SLX for the size and variety of its library.

Dreamcast definitely had the better 3D fighting games, but you can't argue with the Saturn's controller and that all illusive ram cart when it comes to 2D fighters.

Guess it depends on if you 2D or 3D :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Vandole

If you prefer 3D fighters, Dreamcast wins without any kind of debate. Even if you prefer 2D fighters, Saturn has an overall larger library of great ones, but Dreamcast still has 3rd Strike and MVC2 so it makes up in quality what it lacks in quantity.

Neff

Dreamcast and it isn't even close.

I love the Saturn but Dreamcast was on another level entirely. I'd even say it's Sega's best console full stop.

Neff

Even if you prefer 2D fighters, Saturn has an overall larger library of great ones, but Dreamcast still has 3rd Strike and MVC2 so it makes up in quality what it lacks in quantity.

Dreamcast had just about every 2D fighter I could want, with unbeatable load times for an optical console at that. The only reasons I never went back to Saturn was to play Alpha 2, CotA and MSH. Dreamcast had far better arcade sticks available as well.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

The Dreamcast has every iteration of Street Fighter III, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Last Blade 2, KOF 98, Soul Calibur, and Power Stone. This covers all bases.
Case closed.

Last edited:

Manji Uzuki

The two are beasts for fighting games, but Dreamcast is my favourite. The two CVS games, the SFIII saga, Jojo, Mark of the Wolfs, some of the best KoF versions, DOA2, Soul Calibur... Its hard to top

cireza

For 3D Fighters, I would pick Dreamcast any day mainly because of Soul Calibur, Project Justice and Dead or Alive 2. Saturn still had some great games in this category, I really like Zero Divide. I would have loved to see how Virtua Fighter 3 ran on Saturn, too bad it was cancelled.

For 2D, I prefer how Saturn displays its games. It also has a much better controller. CPS2 games look strange on Dreamcast, as if they applied some filter to the sprites to try to accomodate to the inner resolution of CPS2 to stretch it into 4/3. All games look a bit weird, slightly blurry. However, the console got KoF 99 Evolution (brilliant port), Last Blade 2, MotW, Guilty Gear so there is a lot to look for, even though these are not always great ports. Last Blade 2 and MotW are shit ports though, that will destroy your lens, I would avoid playing these as much as possible.

Saturn fails a bit on some CPS2 and SNK (SamSho 4) ports sadly, and only got excellent near the end for CPS2 (still feels a bit strange as far as framerate is concerned in games like XvsSF or MvsSF). Saturn has many hidden gems, like Groove on Fight to name one.

Overall, I would still pick Saturn for 2D as there are many excellent ports, I just find the KoF offering a bit lacking. I would have loved to have KoF99 Evolution on Saturn and SVC Chaos on Saturn/Dreamcast (I know it's a 2003 games).

Last edited:
Top Bottom