• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is a more controversial statement - "I just came out as gay" or "I'm now a Trump supporter"

dragonfart28

Gab Ambassador
Jun 12, 2009
'I just came out as gay' isn't controversial.

And saying you're a Trump supporter will just get you ignored now.

Last edited:

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
Which one do you think would have more negative responses in general?
Hard to tell since I'm not in the US but I guess the Trump one given the current context?

Maybe if the other is shouting "I will undergo a sex change!". That would be more controversial nowadays than the gay one.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Nymphae

CDiggity

Jan 3, 2014
Entirely depends on where you are. Probably a different result here than if you did that experiment in, say, Russia.

I think the more interesting thought experiment would be "Which would be more controversial, a high profile Trump supporter coming out as gay, or a high profile member of the gay community coming out as a Trump supporter?"

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Entirely depends on where you are. Probably a different result here than if you did that experiment in, say, Russia.

I think the more interesting thought experiment would be "Which would be more controversial, a high profile Trump supporter coming out as gay, or a high profile member of the gay community coming out as a Trump supporter?"
One already got his head bashed for that. In pride month. By fascists.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Jun 15, 2013
It really is bizarre that a country would look down on those supporting their leader.

I think a lot of this would depend on the state a person resides in, but it’s horrifying to think of the hate somebody would receive in some areas of the country.

Reactions: Kingwingin

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
It really is bizarre that a country would look down on those supporting their leader.

I think a lot of this would depend on the state a person resides in, but it’s horrifying to think of the hate somebody would receive in some areas of the country.
It's a bit crazy but much better than looking down on those not supporting their leader.

Bolivar687

Jun 13, 2014
USA
If I came out as gay in my workplace, I would be showered by praise and commendation for the bravery of my example.

But if I came out as a Trump supporter, they would be jumping over and throwing eachother out of the way to mutilate my body until it was unrecognizable.

I was once in a meeting where a woman said she hoped the entire Trump family got done in like the Romanovs. I've never in my life seen someone say something with such a deadpan, stone cold seriousness.

Iorv3th

Jan 16, 2013
Depends on where you are located and your community?

And who's saying it...

Most people in my community are trump supporters so they won't give a shit.

However if I came out as gay they would be just as shocked as my wife.

Super Mario

Nov 12, 2016
Being gay = So you are so brave, beautiful, and more normal than anyone else. Literally, this is the best announcement you could have ever made

Trump supporter = You are the biggest piece of shit. How dare you not celebrate every fake identity politic issue while simultaneously denouncing your whiteness

Reactions: haxan7

CeroFrio996

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2019
What point is being made when making such a false equivalence?

Are we really trying to say that coming out as a Trump supporter is the same as coming out as being gay? Or worse, that coming out as gay is actually easier?? I haven't heard any stories about children being kicked out of their homes for being a Trump supporter.

Supporting a politician is a personal choice, and at least to some degree says something about what kind of person you are.

That’s the point lol

Jonirenicus

Jun 23, 2019
What point is being made when making such a false equivalence?

Are we really trying to say that coming out as a Trump supporter is the same as coming out as being gay? Or worse, that coming out as gay is actually easier?? I haven't heard any stories about children being kicked out of their homes for being a Trump supporter.

Supporting a politician is a personal choice, and at least to some degree says something about what kind of person you are.

Barnabot

Oct 16, 2018
What if one person come out as a gay and also a trump supporter in the same line? :pie_thinking:

All is forgiven then?

Edit :assuming being a trump supporter is a bad thing.

Last edited:

Gargus

Oct 1, 2018
No one cares if you're gay anymore. That's old news now, gays are boring. It's all about being a tranny now.

Dec 22, 2007
I haven't heard any stories about children being kicked out of their homes for being a Trump supporter.
That's because the people who kick children out of their homes are Trump supporters. :messenger_winking:

Being gay is definitely still more taboo than being a Trump supporter. Supporting Trump has only been taboo for a few years, whereas being gay has been bashed for literally centuries.

Oct 26, 2018
Goes like this:

"I'm gay!"

Dinner time talk with parents: "WTF did you say Brad?"

Saying it in public: Dead stares as nobody cares. Or they give a "we support you" vibe to do what you want

"I'm a Trump supporter!"

Dinner time talk with parents: Dead stares as nobody cares. Or they give a "we support you" vibe to do what you want

Saying it in public: "WTF did you say Brad?"

Last edited:
Reactions: haxan7

AfricanKing

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2017
So you agree that homosexuality is accepted by the majority people in first-world cultures, and thus gay people are not oppressed?

But it's not isit. And why limit it to just the first world when most of the Worlds population live in third world countries with some carrying the death penalty for being gay

Last edited: