• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is more fun - Resident Evil Remake or The Last of Us?

Which game is more fun to play?

• Resident Evil HD Remake

• The Last of Us

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vawn

Banned
I'm not sure how it came up, but I was arguing with my friends that I found the original Resident Evil Remake's style of adventure/3D Metroidvania gameplay more enjoyable than The Last of Us, despite TLOU having a better story and cutscenes.

They said I'm crazy. So how crazy am I? For those who have beaten both, which did you enjoy more?

A.Romero

Personally, The Last of Us. The gameplay mechanics are way more refined and shooting is not a pain in the ass like in most RE games.

I wouldn't compare them directly though, while RE is survival horror I would say that TLoU is more like an action/stealth game or even an adventure game.

EDIT

I’m an idiot and thought we were talking RE2R not REmake

Short answer: RE2R

Damn, good question.

I guess it would be a copout to pick a tie.

I guess if I had to strictly pick pure fun factor.....I mean it’s close, but probably RE2R.

That’s overall fun factor not including TLOU multiplayer, which was awesome. I consider TLOU a better overall experience, but not strictly more fun

I know some people don’t find backtracking in RE2 fun, and I know some people find the “walking slain” portions of TLOU not fun but neither of those things hurt my experience either excellent title. TLOU had me immersed, almost to a fault

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
theres good and bad things in both games

Last of us, you can make your own weapons, the game never makes you stay in the same place, like RE remake does, aka the mansion for most of the whole game. While last of us takes you to different places. The combat in last of us is better also, since RE combat is only point and shoot. Though I like both games

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
After beating LO 3 times, I would say RE remake.

LO story is superb and the atmosphere is great...but the gameplay mostly resolves in "stealth", which ends up making every part a drag to pass(and taking too much of your time). Also looking everything for stuff turns out boring since on higher difficult levels you barely find anything. I felt like "what am I doing?"

RE remake(the first one) is fun because resolves more in backtracking and facing or not zombies. You can beat them and burn their corpses, so you wont have trouple later. Also, exploring is more rewarding even on high difficulties.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The Last of Us have better gameplay.

RE2R has better horror moments.
I LOVED Last of Us but hell no. RE2Remake combat and gameplay so much better. RE2Remake has much, much better level and enemy design in my opinion.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I LOVED Last of Us but hell no. RE2Remake combat and gameplay so much better. RE2Remake much, much better level and enemy design in my opinion.
The Last of Us gameplay is one of the best TPS ever made... it shines more in the MP but it is pure perfection.

Everything you do matter there (every small movement)... the RE2R falls behind in terms of gameplay.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Since I can play RE2 Remake in Ultrawide resolutions and with mods and uncapped framerate, screw TLOU 1 and 2.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
REmake is the superior game. Better atmosphere, gameplay, and replayability. After I beat TLoU I had no want to immediately hop back in, nor did any of the levels stick out to me as actually memorable. The characters were also unlikable compared to any of the characters of REmake.

The Last of Us gameplay is one of the best TPS ever made... it shines more in the MP but it is pure perfection.

Yea, no. Last of Us is a fun game, but one of the best third person shooters ever made? Not even close to the likes of RE2R, Gears of War, or even Splatoon.

ethomaz

Banned
Yea, no. Last of Us is a fun game, but one of the best third person shooters ever made? Not even close to the likes of RE2R, Gears of War, or even Splatoon.
Better than any of these listed.

Maybe MGS5 have better TPS gameplay this gen... that is why I said one of and not the best.

Danjin44

Everything you do matter there (every small movement)... the RE2R falls behind in terms of gameplay.
I guess agree to disagree. I played Last of Us both in survival and grounded difficulty and I’m currently playing RE2Remake on hardcore difficulty and god damn RE2Remake feels sooooo much better.

Meh3D

I think they're both fantastic in their own ways. Too different to not play one because you played the other..

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
But that renders the thread pointless.

They are clearly both great games.

It does, neither is objectively better. TLOU possibly nudges ahead due to emotional resonance and far better acting.

Edit: im comparing REmake, not RE2make, but the answers the same.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
TLOU is a weird case where the most difficult the better the gameplay... it shines against others players... it is superb.

Danjin44

TLOU is a weird case where the most difficult the better the gameplay... it shines against others players... it is superb.
I don't care about MP. I only care about survival horror gameplay for each game and for me personally RE2Remake is much, much better.

Z..

Not even close. Soild gameplay but clearly and markedly inferior to genre peaks like Vanquish or MGS5. Naughty Dog never fails to deliver good games but their gameplay is consistently second tier. It's what makes them so great, to be honest. Everything they make is a Solid A-/B+ in every category, where as most great games are A+ in one or two categories and C- in everything else. They never deliver A+ in anything, though.

brian0057

Banned
Resident Evil Remake. Easy.
Uncharted 2 is the closest to a good game Naughty Dog has made since their superior Crash Bandicoot output.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I'm just glad we live in a world where both are options for me to play when I feel like it. Both are incredible games, there doesn't need to be a winner between the two.

I'm just glad we live in a world where both are options for me to play when I feel like it. Both are incredible games, there doesn't need to be a winner between the two.

It’s not like the point is one of them is bad. Comparing the pure fun factor between two great titles seems innocent and fun.

Afro has taught ye well.

Except it would likely be Tlou vs. Gears of war if he made it but eh. :)

As for the OP, I dont really see either as horror games and both as action games. I guess RE theme sits better with me.

Danjin44

Afro has taught ye well.

Except it would likely be Tlou vs. Gears of war if he made it but eh. :)

As for the OP, I dont really see either as horror games and both as action games. I guess RE theme sits better with me.
RE might not be horror game similar to Silent Hill or Siren but it has horror atmosphere and intense encounters. Again If someone ask me which one is better "survival Horror game" Last of us or REHDRemake/RE2Remake? I would say RE.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
RE2 sadly gets old, really quick.

Ghost Survivors needs to add something because the game is way too samey to have any real durability. Once you realize all 4 campaigns are basically the same, and every achievement is based on speed-running/avoidance regardless of difficulty setting, there's not much impetus to go back to it.

Its not a great, emotionally resonant story, its not mechanically deep and tactically varied, the action isn't exciting and empowering, Its basically figure out an optimal path and run through to the end as quick as you can. Everything is preset and predictable to the extent that it essentially boils down to working through a checklist in order.

Yes, this is a harsh and reductive take, but its not untrue and its not unfair.

Its a great experience for the first week or so, I loved it. But as an overall package its seriously lacking in my opinion.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The Last of Us.

They're all fun, but for different reasons.

The gameplay mechanics in both Resident Evil 1 and Resident Evil 2 far more basic than the Last of Us. Even though that's the case, what makes it really enjoyable is figuring out puzzles, backtracking and surviving enemies that you encounter along the way. Mr X in Resident Evil 2 remake is designed to make things unpredictable. You may beat the game 2 or 3 times, but you're still a bit on edge because you're not always sure where he is at that exact moment.

As for the The Last of Us, the gameplay works well through the mode AND online competitive play. The melee combat is more enjoyable because you can take someone down with a bat, crowbar or even your fists. The hand-to-hand combat seems brutal and satisfying, something you don't see in Resident Evil 1 and 2 (and I wish they would keep it that way). The infected are far more harder to fight than the zombies, lickers, dogs, hunters you find in Resident Evil games. But on the other hand, Resident Evil 2 boss fights are more difficult compared to the Bloater and David. It's also very satisfying sneaking behind enemies and taking them out with a shiv, either offline or online.

sainraja

Short answer: RE2R

Damn, good question.

I guess it would be a copout to pick a tie.

I guess if I had to strictly pick pure fun factor.....I mean it’s close, but probably RE2R.

That’s overall fun factor not including TLOU multiplayer, which was awesome. I consider TLOU a better overall experience, but not strictly more fun

I know some people don’t find backtracking in RE2 fun, and I know some people find the “walking slain” portions of TLOU not fun but neither of those things hurt my experience either excellent title. TLOU had me immersed, almost to a fault

Back-tracking is what I loved about the previous games. Loved re-visiting areas or being able to go back to a previously explored location. I don't really like it when developers intentionally block you from going back (unless there is a specific reason for it.)

Danjin44

The infected are far more harder to fight than the zombies, lickers, dogs, hunters you find in Resident Evil games.
I don't really agree with that. Most of the time you can easily one shot stealth kill most of the infected. I'm currently playing RE2Remake on hardcore and Zombies don't go down easily.

Why is everyone talking about RE2R when the topic is clearly about the original REmake?

Well, speaking just for myself, because I’m an idiot who lacks reading comprehension

Yikes.

I completely jumped the gun.

TLOU over REmake, for me

giphy.gif

Fbh

I'm not too much into survival horror gameplay so I enjoyed TLOU more for its story and characters.
Also had a ton of fun with the multiplayer

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I don't really agree with that. Most of the time you can easily one shot stealth kill most of the infected. I'm currently playing RE2Remake on hardcore and Zombies don't go down easily.

The infected are run towards you when they either hear you or see you. Zombies are a bit quicker in Resident Evil 2 Hardcore mode, but this really happens when you're in close proximity. You can easily take them out from a distance, which is easier to do when you know what their current location is. The zombie types that are the most difficult to take down are the crimson head zombies. They run faster and attack faster than the regular ones.

DrNeroCF

I enjoyed REmake, but it still felt like 'classic' gameplay. TLOU felt modern but more soulless. I'd say RE4 is the perfect combination of both.

Lol at people mentioning remake 2.

Personally, tlou. But i do love playing remake. Its so so so good. Perfect window into what gaming was.

Hobbesian

Banned
I'm one of the biggest TLoU fans ever. If it were down to just gameplay alone, I'd have to go with Resident Evil R2. But this game owes a lot to The Last of Us, however.

But, overall, it'd have to be The Last of Us. The atmosphere and attention to detail is simply too rich and stimulating. The gameplay premise, coupled with the narrative and characterizations is simply too incredible. It's a watershed experience the same way the original Resident Evil 2 was all those years before it.

God, I can't wait for The Last of Us 2.

Last edited:

Hobbesian

Banned
Tlou also has MP. One of my favorite Multiplayer.

Never played it but it definitely looked dope as hell. I remember people on GAF used to swear by it before the schism. My friend won't stop bugging me to try it.

Seems like the kind of thing that a sequel is going to completely ruin by trying to fiddle with it too much.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Never played it but it definitely looked dope as hell. I remember people on GAF used to swear by it before the schism. My friend won't stop bugging me to try it.

Seems like the kind of thing that a sequel is going to completely ruin by trying to fiddle with it too much.
Im not too happy about the addition of a jump button to tlou2. That has me worried the most.

Re2 remake gameplay and level design is amazing. It has lot of replayability as well.

Also new Claire and Ada are hot asf XD

Tlou wins in story telling.

Chill out.
I'm one of the biggest TLoU fans ever. If it were down to just gameplay alone, I'd have to go with Resident Evil R2. But this game owes a lot to The Last of Us, however.

But, overall, it'd have to be The Last of Us. The atmosphere and attention to detail is simply too rich and stimulating. The gameplay premise, coupled with the narrative and characterizations is simply too incredible. It's a watershed experience the same way the original Resident Evil 2 was all those years before it.

God, I can't wait for The Last of Us 2.
Owe to Tlou? It owes shit to Tlou.

You do realise Tlou copied RE4 n all.

Tlou copied every survival horror game n movie in existence . So stfu

Top Bottom