• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is more fun - Resident Evil Remake or The Last of Us?

Which game is more fun to play?

• Resident Evil HD Remake

• The Last of Us

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shifty

Surprised the comparison being made is the original REmake rather than RE2make given the common camera angle, but Resi takes it on both counts as far as gameplay fun factor goes.

Last of us is a well-told story with standard TPS mechanics and a touch of stealth, RE is a resource managing, route planning, enemy strategizing survival game with a ton of replay value and cool unlockable stuff. I know which one I'd take with me to a desert island.

Owe to Tlou? It owes shit to Tlou.

You do realise Tlou copied RE4 n all.

Tlou copied every survival horror game n movie in existence . So stfu
There is definitely a counter-argument to be made to H Hobbesian 's point.

But this isn't it.

wenaldy

Not joining the vote since i havent played RE2R but I bought TLOU:R solely for MP only. Smooth 60 FPS with less wonky aiming compared to the original. IMO the MP/ Factions is the best MP i've ever played on PS4.

mejin

Remake is extremely fun. I had to beat the campaign 7 times to get my platinum and I loved it.

Of course game is relly short which helps a lot.

TLoU is a complete different experience and that's what it makes so damn special. Overall, it is a better game than remake in every aspect, but I would say to make this thread later this year cause TLoU2 will come in 2019 imo.

Well ,story ,atmosphere and gameplay TLOU is superior,visually RE2 remake looks better ,but I can't say its impressive,TLOU still looks good for a game that old

ruvikx

Banned
Probably Resident Evil, TLOU too movie-ish for my tastes.

Resident Evil (whether the first remake or RE2 Remake) is also a lot more of a game, with tighter mechanisms & strategies required to get past obstacles. TLOU is Uncharted with stealth & zombies. It's linear, there are no puzzles, Joel's controls are not as tight as Resident Evil's & it aims to be a sort of cinematic journey, rather than a RE type experience. Where are the key items? Where's the maze like level design with doors & "choose your path wisely" type gameplay? It's not there.

Some people might prefer that, I don't. The big events in TLOU are scripted, whereas RE's more dramatic moments (i.e. barely scraping by an encounter & finding a green herb/ink ribbon just in time) are dictated by the player's choices & playstyle, not the devs shrieking abracadabra & making the drama happen for us.

Considering that TLOU has one of the best multiplayer campaigns ever and that even Today their online is active it's save to say that TLOU is the more fun. Resident Evil HD is fucking great but "fun" is not one of the words that would describe it.

Tank controls, slow movement and fix camera against modern controls? Not even close. This applies to most old games versus modern ones. Gameplay has improved massively.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Resident Evil (whether the first remake or RE2 Remake) is also a lot more of a game, with tighter mechanisms & strategies required to get past obstacles. TLOU is Uncharted with stealth & zombies. It's linear, there are no puzzles, Joel's controls are not as tight as Resident Evil's & it aims to be a sort of cinematic journey, rather than a RE type experience. Where are the key items? Where's the maze like level design with doors & "choose your path wisely" type gameplay? It's not there.

Some people might prefer that, I don't. The big events in TLOU are scripted, whereas RE's more dramatic moments (i.e. barely scraping by an encounter & finding a green herb/ink ribbon just in time) are dictated by the player's choices & playstyle, not the devs shrieking abracadabra & making the drama happen for us.

I think this game really exposes the people who claim Naughty Dog games lack gameplay.

You said before that the large amount of time spent playing Uncharted 4 was not gameplay. So based on your criticism of Uncharted 4 alone, you wouldn't consider Resident Evil having much gameplay at all.

Three

They are two different styles of games even though they both have undead in them. RE is about exploration and more like a point and click adventure type game with shooting. It has a darker more scary atmosphere. The last of us is more a stealth action adventure type game with better shooting. So it depends which of those you like I guess.

Hobbesian

Banned
U expect better comment to that fanboyish post?

Only who started playing games on ps3 will say such nonsense

You adolescent gatekeeping idiot.

RE2 REMake undoubtedly looked at what TLOU did to improve their characterization and atmosphere in the same way TLOU undoubtedly looked to the original RE series to mine the same well. The characters appropriately mutter to themselves during tense moments, the written dialogue in the series has improved by orders of magnitude since that game's release, and some of their cutscene work has been truly outstanding (Kendo Gunshop immediately comes to mind). These games aren't made in a vacuum.

Maybe it's fair to say REMake didn't crib "a lot" but you can easily feel the standards that TLOU have set for the genre present in this game. The biggest reasons why RE2 maintains a more "gamey" feel in certain aspects in relation to TLOU is because it's a remake of a 20 year old video game. That's REMake 2's biggest gift and biggest curse.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
I think this game really exposes the people who claim Naughty Dog games lack gameplay.

You said before that the large amount of time spent playing Uncharted 4 was not gameplay. So based on your criticism of Uncharted 4 alone, you wouldn't consider Resident Evil having much gameplay at all.

Apples & oranges. Resident Evil (the remakes) is a tactical & strategic progression through a monster infested location, with unlocking routes with key items, puzzles & managing resources the primary elements. All the slow walking in RE is for a good reason (literally, such as sneaking past lickers in RE2 remake). Uncharted 4 meanwhile in a checkpoint based linear chapter game in which "slow walking" segments are forced for no reason other than insert narrative exposition into gameplay instead of cutscenes.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Apples & oranges. Resident Evil (the remakes) is a tactical & strategic progression through a monster infested location, with unlocking routes with key items, puzzles & managing resources the primary elements. All the slow walking in RE is for a good reason (literally, such as sneaking past lickers in RE2 remake). Uncharted 4 meanwhile in a checkpoint based linear chapter game in which "slow walking" segments are forced for no reason other than insert narrative exposition into gameplay instead of cutscenes.

Here's the problem with your argument. You literally just said that both remakes are more of a game than The Last of Us. You consider "progressing through a monster infested location" gameplay.

Well, guess what you do in the last of us in this linear areas? Progressing through a monster infested location and there's way more in the Last of Us.

The Last of Us requires you to plan your stealth routes or how to fight and make your way through a monster infested location. This require planning, which is considered gameplay and there's a lot more in the Last of Us than there is in the Resident Evil games.

RE2 REMake undoubtedly looked at what TLOU did to improve their characterization and atmosphere in the same way TLOU undoubtedly looked to the original RE series to mine the same well. The characters appropriately mutter to themselves during tense moments, the written dialogue in the series has improved by orders of magnitude since that game's release, and some of their cutscene work has been truly outstanding (Kendo Gunshop immediately comes to mind). These games aren't made in a vacuum.

Maybe it's fair to say REMake didn't crib "a lot" but you can easily feel the standards that TLOU have set for the genre present in this game. The biggest reasons why RE2 maintains a more "gamey" feel in certain aspects in relation to TLOU is because it's a remake of a 20 year old video game. That's REMake 2's biggest gift and biggest curse.

You are a moron, a 10 yr old kid who started playing few years ago on ps3 and became a fanboy of their exclusives.

From no angle RE Remake feels or looks like Tlou. RE game already had great atmosphere and gameplay mechanics Capcom added in recent remakes are similar to classic RE games, from gameplay to level design to inventory management, everything feels like classic RE. Absolutely nothing is copied from that overrated Tlou

Tlou itself a copy of RE nothing more.

You ND fanboys willstart saying that UC invented cover system or Gears copied UC.

Last edited:
Resident evil 2 is an great game with an ok story. Last of us has ok gameplay with an amazing story. Both are good so thats not a knock on either

Vawn

Banned
Did I word the OP in a confusing manner? I never said Resident Evil 2.

The point of our discussion was the fact that these two great games (The Last of Us and Resident Evil ONE Remake) were NOT similar. Neither is trying to be the other, but I personally found the adventure style horror gameplay with corny, throwaway story of RE more fun than TLOU's survival stealth with a serious story.

Shifty

Did I word the OP in a confusing manner? I never said Resident Evil 2.

The point of our discussion was the fact that these two great games (The Last of Us and Resident Evil ONE Remake) were NOT similar. Neither is trying to be the other, but I personally found the adventure style horror gameplay with corny, throwaway story of RE more fun than TLOU's survival stealth with a serious story.
It's the current GAF zeitgeist. RE2make is so recent that it's where the mind goes when someone says "Resident Evil Remake".

That, and posters not reading the OP. Business as usual.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Last of Us bores the hell out of me. RE2 is far more engaging to replay and speed run even if the randomness drives me up a wall sometimes. It's only real weaknesses are the bosses and the worse A/B scenario system.

CuNi

Wait so are we talking about re 1 remake or re 2 remake now? Thread and poll differ heavily from discussion...

If it's re2 then I prefer re2make. I just couldn't get myself to like the enemies and ending from tlou but that's my opinion and I had my fair share of discussions with friends about this.

hecatomb

Banned
OP never said RE2 remake, as much as I like RE1 remake, its still fun to play from time to time. Though its combat is just point and shoot. It doesn't have any manual aim, it doesn't have upgrades, it doesn't have a way to make its own weapons like last of us does. Though its not really fair to compare games since both of them are good, and years apart.

Last edited:

MrRogers

REmake, its a title that I can go back to again and again. Last of us, is a one and done, with maybe a second playthrough on a different difficulty. The gameplay in RE has depth and replayability. Last of Us is a typical Naughty Dog joint where character, story and cinematic gameplay comes first. Although the gameplay in the Last of us is still quite good, I prefer the lighter on story, beefier mechanics of RE. The level design in particular in Remake (1 or 2) destroys TLOU linearity and point A to B progression

scalman

Nothing can beat tlou. Story and emotions wise its even better then new uncharted 4. I mean that kinda dad and doughter relationship is just wow there. And you cant play it without going deep in it better alone listening and reading everything and taking your time.
Re2 just take for couple min to shoot zombies and drop it. But then instead re2 i would take dying light. Thats my open worl RE.

Y2H

REmake is easily superior. It gets better each time you play and rewards you with more ways to play it. The Last of Us is a good film for the first playthrough, then it's a chore every other time. Plus TLoU is the most overrated game of all time.

Shifty

It'd be interesting to find out how many people who voted Last of Us never played REmake, or vice-versa.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Played em both, many times.

If you like REMake more than TLOU that's a fine and legit opinion to hold. But if you want to compare the two point-for-point technically and creatively its simply no contest because TLOU is superior in every possible aspect.

RuhRo

Played em both, many times.

If you like REMake more than TLOU that's a fine and legit opinion to hold. But if you want to compare the two point-for-point technically and creatively its simply no contest because TLOU is superior in every possible aspect.

It’s an apples to oranges comparison. Personally, I find REmake more compelling.

Last edited:

wzy

See, I knew that Kendo scene was idiot bait. The first thing I said to my friend when it finished was "oh, this is for the game journalists."

It's completely awful and out of character for the series and it has nothing to do with the original or anything that came before or after; the kind of pointlessly dark foray into "man is the biggest monster of all" town designed to protect Walking Dead's audience from feeling guilty about not having read a book since high school. I'm sure it was written by a white dude, in other words, because it was pure RE7 middlebrow slop. Just like every minute of TLOU.

Last edited:

Dunki

I never found Last of Us actually fun to play. t was depressing and exhausting but I loved every minute of it^^

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It’s an apples to oranges comparison. One’s a nonlinear exploration heavy puzzle game with virtually no combat (except as a self-defense/resource management element) and the other is a story driven linear roller coaster/movie-game experience that mainly relies on combat and stealth. Saying one outstrips the other “technically and creatively” and “point for point” is a little silly when the points are so wildly different as to defy comparison.

Personally, I find REmake vastly more creative (and compelling) from a level design and gameplay standpoint.

Come to think of it, I’d love to see Naughty Dog graft their cinematic storytelling and worldbuilding onto the puzzle-box nonlinear design of something like REmake.

I wouldn't exactly call them apples and oranges in terms of linearity; they both are story based games with clearly defined beginnings, middles and endings its just that the non-linearity in TLOU comes mainly from combat sandboxing not exploration. Its not a corridor shooter, its pretty much a series of set-piece confrontations where the player is able to choose an approach of their choosing.

The thing is TLOU has a lot more mechanics and thus options available at all times. The choice of which is made meaningful by the extended range of difficulty settings and accumulating weapon and ability growth.

I like Resident Evil's gameplay a lot, and I do think it works really creatively within its numerous self-imposed restrictions. The truth is though if you were set a task of bettering the two games. making a better TLOU is a far tougher proposition than making a better Res Evil because there are so many more moving parts to contend with.

The problem I have is really this. If you want to put REmake over TLOU you need to ignore/dismiss all the aspects that ND's game excels in as being important. Which I really cannot do, because I have a ton of respect for the amount of talent and effort that it requires.

Mingen

This comparison is very stupid, in The Last of Us invested 5 years of development, soul, very legendary and diverse plot. Yes RE4 is also a good game, but not so much

Well, in my opinion, The Last of Us is one of the best games ever made. I only play it a few times a year, because playing a game way too much can make one bored, and it devalues the experience. The remake of the first Resident Evil game is still one of the genuinely scariest horror games ever made, and it looks amazing even without playing the newer HD version on the current consoles. They didn't really remaster it, though. They just zoomed in with the camera so it is stretched out on the screen, and they updated the graphics a bit.

Top Bottom