• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Is playstations most disappointing generation?

Which is Playstation’s most disappointing generation?

• PS4

Votes: 72 21.8%
  • No ps3 was

Votes: 216 65.5%
  • No ps2 was

Votes: 22 6.7%
  • No ps1 was

Votes: 20 6.1%

• Total voters

kunonabi

PS1 was superb, but I was all about the Saturn back then.
PS2 was insane.
PS3 was mediocre.
PS4 is pretty damn good again.

So PS2 > PS1 > PS4 > PS3

That's my order too although I think I actually have more favorite PS1 titles than I do PS2. I'd also argue that the PS1 is the only of the 4 that felt like it had an identity of own.

My problem with the PS4 is that it doesnt have much in the way of all-time great /platform defining titles. If you ask me to make a PS4 top ten it's basically Yakuza 0, MGSV, a multiplatform title, and World of Final Fantasy. Anything else I put on that list is mostly filler.

PS3 had a similar problem but also didnt run multiplats as well as the competition and most of the games I did enjoy on it got ported to the PS4 anyway.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
No one. The Playstation give me a huge great game list.

But i admit that the PS3 Dont have the same strength of a ps2 or ps1.

Hudo

For me it is a pretty steady decline, overall it is PS1>PS2>PS3>PS4, but when considering the competitor consoles and the hardware itself, PS3 and PS4 switch places, because unlike PS3, PS4 is a competently designed hardware that stands strong against its direct competitor.
I agree with the steady decline. Additionally, I feel that the overall build quality of the PS4 is severely lacking. It doesn't help that the original PS4 and the PS4 Pro are pretty noisy as well... (The PS4 slim is borderline OK). I'm also not thrilled about Sony's stance on backwards compatibility. They've started so well (Which wasn't really that hard, I mean the original Xbox One launch event was basically one of the best Sony events ever, lol) and now they annoy me more and more.

So, next gen will be interesting.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
The point of the thread though is the most disappointing Sony gen, not about consoles aging. PS1 out sold Nintendo 64 and dreamcast, and even DC had better gfx then both. The best looking games for ps1 were, parasite eve, res evil 2, res evil 3, ff7, MGS, wipeout 3 and XL, legend of legaia, jade cocoon, megaman X4, silent hill, guilty gear, Dino crisis, legend of dragoon, Tenchu 1 and 2. Theres a lot of games on ps1 that even looked better then n64 games.

The only bad Sony gen was ps vita, even ps3 outsold xbox 360 and Nintendo wii

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
PS3 gen is the most disappointing by far. Most of the best PS3 games were ported to PS4 as well.

My order is probably

PS1>PS4>PS2>PS3

Last edited:

PhineBuyM3

PS1-3 were all dope, PS4 has been disappointing as shit for me.

Years back I thought I was gonna see:
Metal Gear Rising 2 when Kamiya and Hideo were posting pictures on twitter together
Vanquish 2
Dragon's Dogma 2- Since the producer was surprised by the success of DD.
Gundam Extreme Vs Maxi Boost On. Instead w got that piece of shit Gundam Versus instead.
Sengoku Basara 5- Capcom held a festival for the franchise(that they hadn't done since 2013) and didn't announce a new game
what.png

Tekken is what usually prompts me to get a new system and I've never felt ripped off by a Tekken game before until I bought 7.

Last edited:

Airola

Loved PS1.

Was disappointed with PS2 like I was disappointed with every other console at that time.

Haven't had expectations for the later systems so haven't been disappointed either. Haven't really been interested on the later systems either though.

So I chose PS2.

TheWatcher

Banned
Big fan of the PSOne, PS3, and PS4. Even though the PS2 had a dynamite line up I found the hardware to be very underwhelming, especially after the Xbox came out.

Brofist

Probably the PS3. I don't own or plan to ever buy a PS4, but at least it seems like it's had way less issues than the 3.

leo-j

PS3 had the best first party ip next to PS4, one can argue the 3rd party ip weren't as good as the ps2 era..... and ps1 just doesn't compare to the others.

Lastyou1

Banned
I respect everyone's opinion, but how could someone possibly vote anything other than ps3 in this poll is beyond me and, probably, beyond human comprehension.

PS1 was great, it had the Final Fantasies, Metal Gear Solid, Crash Bandicoots and Resident Evils, Tekkens, Gran Turismos, etc plus its hidden gems Medievil 1 and 2, Parasite Eve, Fear Effect 1 and 2, but it also had overhyped, overrated series/games (Syphon Filter, Ridge Racers, Tomba, Heart of Darkness, Shadowman, Akuji the heartless,) and unplayable/unwatchable turds (C-13, MK Special Forces and Mythologies, The Crow coa, Bubsy 3d) and shitty pc ports (Rainbow Six).

The ps2 era is the better generation with ps4 being a close second.

Top Bottom