• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Is playstations most disappointing generation?

Which is Playstation’s most disappointing generation?

• PS4

Votes: 72 21.8%
  • No ps3 was

Votes: 216 65.5%
  • No ps2 was

Votes: 22 6.7%
  • No ps1 was

Votes: 20 6.1%

• Total voters

Lort

Banned
With all the debate about the failure of the Ps 3 generation its time to make your choice!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No, not for me. I’m big fan of Japanese games and single player games and PS4 delivered on that beautifully.

Last edited:

DonJimbo

Its 50 50
There are good games and there are bad games
We had games like Horizon and know Detroit and God of War 2018 that are the pinnacle of that what sony studios can do
The PSN hacks are the worst

nowhat

The PSN hacks are the worst
Unless you mean the DDoS attacks (which are not hacks, and something that cannot necessarily be easily subverted), the PSN hack (where user accounts were compromised) occurred in April 2011. Quite a bit before this gen.

Last edited:

Orpheum

No not for me. I pretty much enjoyed every single exclusive so far and i'm very happy that they keep pushing single-player story focused experiences.

If the question was "Is this gamings most disappointing generation" then my answer would have been yes!

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Let's see... A console that is selling like water vs a console that people struggle to develop and the competition was at double the sales...

The Shepard

Not at all. I think all sony consoles have been great minus the ps3 early years, they come back strong from that time to now. Vitas probably had it the roughest and that's probably because it didn't sell well.

Also we have god of war out this week with Stella reviews, so probably not the best timing with this 😂

bosnianpie

Definitely not disappointing, I don't think we've ever had this many quality games being released on a Sony console before. That doesn't necessarily equal memorable experiences or games that break new ground, that's for the future to decide. However, if I could start gaming all over again I would rather play on a PS4 than a PS1, despite all the nostalgia for the good ol' days.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Hard to say. It's a toss up between 3 and 4 IMO. 3 did some things better, 4 does other things better. In terms of quality level of exclusives they're very similar.

MoogleMan

I'm gonna be the odd man out here and say the PS1 was the worst of the PS generations. 2, 3 and 4 all had plenty of games I'd easily pick over the best ps1 games save a few like the final fantasy games.

VertigoOA

Banned
Y’all friggin insane. One of the best generations ever and arguably the best playstation, because at this point it is my favorite.

YoshiMax

PS4 is the PlayStation I owned and played the least so for me yes it absolutely is. £60 big budget SP only titles don’t do much for me anymore I’d always rather play online.

Potentially, but it's hard to say. It's up in the air between 3 and 4 for me. Hardware-wise and stuff 4 is a LOT better though. Clearly it would be, but I mean in terms of like, you don't need to update and install 5 million things before you can actually play a fucking game. But games-wise....yeah, dunno just yet. We'll have to see at the end of the generation. PS3 also had that where it started weak but ended really strong. PS4 still has that potential.

With Xbox the picture is much clearer to me, there's just no coming back for the Xbone whereas the 360 was a fucking wrecking-ball throughout most of it's lifespan.

Ar¢tos

I can't consider Ps3 disappointing. It gave us Uncharted, Demon's Souls (+ Dark Souls I and II by extension). I loved Puppeteer and LBP and all the amazing indies like Journey, Flower, Flow, Rain, etc.
Ps4 has been great too with Bloodborne, Horizon, Infamous SS DLC (didnt care for main game, but loved the stand alone "DLC") and all the upcoming great games like GoW and Dreams (and Detroit for those that care for David Cage "experiences").
Ps2 was the gen that i had a hardest time connecting too. Crash sequels were crap, Spyro sequels were crap. FFX was a "corridor" game (after the greatness of IX, it sucked) and FFXII was a star wars world clone rpg. Jak and Dexter / Ratchet and Clank didn't appeal to me. I basically only enjoyed God of War I and II from the 1st party/exclusives that gen.
(Note: I arrived late at the Ps2 party, Ps3 was released the same year i got the PS2, that might have dulled the experience for me)

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
The most disappointing things for me were the fact that online multiplayer now costs money and the lack of backwards compatibility with the PS1 and 2. If it had those then it would have been my favorite Playstation system ever. Guess my PS3 spoiled me with that kind of stuff.

GenericUser

This is how I would rate each Playstation generation

PS1 (FF7, MGS, Gran Turismo) > PS4 (Bloodborne, God of War) > PS2 (Jak and Daxter, FF10, FF12, GT4) > PS3 (Demon's Souls, all the good CoDs)

JaffeLion

Banned
For sure.

Arrogant Sony is back.

- No BC
- Online is shit and even costs money now
- No more PS3 titles soon with Plus, still the same price
- mostly only single player exclusive games, I dont play those games, so not worth it for me
- Pro is a joke compared to xbox one x

sublimit

Banned
The PS3 gen was the only one that was kinda disappointing to me due to many Japanese developers being left behind in terms of technical progress and due to not willing to invest big budgets on their games (thanks to the Japanese console market getting smaller) but there were also Japanese exclusive games like Demon's Souls,Valkyria Chronicles,Yakuza 3-5,Ni no Kuni that redeemed Japanese developers for me and made the PS3 a must have console.

So for me there has never been a disappointing Playstation generation. Too bad the OP choose to not include that option in his poll.

Fbh

Nah, Ps3.
The early years were terrible. The console was too expensive and hardly offered anything to justify the price. Multiplatforms had a tendency to perform worse on Ps3, it was reportedly a pain in the ass to work with and on the more subjective side the exclusives also felt lacking compared to the 360.
It definitely had a massive improvement over the years, multiplat devs became more used to working with it and it did end up giving us some amazing exclusives like Uncharted 2-3, TLOU, GOW3, Valkiria Chronicles (Not exclusive anymore but it was for a long time), Journey, Infamous 2, etc.
But overall I still think it was the most disappointing. Not to mention that they went from being the absolute market leader to having to really struggle to catch up with Microsoft.

Ps4 has been great so far IMO. The first year was also lacking in terms of games but so was the competition and at least this time around they had the advantage of the Ps4 not only being cheaper but also having slight performance advantages in various multiplatform games. The hardware also felt better from day 1 with lots of cool features and devs having a much easier time working with it. Exclusives have also been great, Bloodborne, Yakuza 0, Horizon, SOTC Remake, The Last Guardian, Uncharted 4 and Persona 5 have all been fantastic and based on reviews God of War is shaping up to be among the best.

If there's 2 things I haven't like from the Ps4 it's:
- Paid multiplayer
- The Pro is, IMO, pretty disappointing. I own one but I look at the X1X and really feel like that is what I would have like the pro to be.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I honestly and at this point can name just one first party game i wan't to play on PS4 which is actually a lot different than any of their games from the previous generation, so yeah, definitely most disappointing... so far.

Last edited:

base

Banned
PS3 gave us some new IPs. PS4 gave us many great games but also many remasters. This is the first generation which produces so many remasters. I know people want them but come on, get something new.

Ar¢tos

PS3 gave us some new IPs. PS4 gave us many great games but also many remasters. This is the first generation which produces so many remasters. I know people want them but come on, get something new.
What makes you think that the remasters are the reason you are not getting new games?
You expect Bluepoint to produce a new IP when their market is remasters?
How many of the remasters this gen were made by a AAA studio? As far as i can recall, it was only TLOU and ND used it as a way to get to know the Ps4 hw better.
The existence/amount of remasters is completely unrelated to the lack of new IPs. You don't have new IPs because games cost more to make and take longer to create, making them a bigger risk than last gen.

Not at all. PlayStation has always been about the quality exclusives - Yakuza, God of War, Mark of Kri, Sly Cooper, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter.

Lort

Banned
The ps1 i liked because it felt original.. the ps2 i didnt like as much because i felt pc games could do better but it had a lot of good games that were coded for it and got around the limitations. Ps3 felt like it was over promoted and under delivered. Ps4 was at least targeted well and focused on games and delivering good experiences rather than specs and blue ray.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Notice the Xbox has a straight "no" answer but this poll is a "no but the other PlayStation was"
I think in general last gen was disappointing as a whole for all consoles. But there was some gems on all consoles

PS1 was the best.

PS2 meh okay

PS4 meh okay

PS3 is just a waste of everyone’s time - Gabe Newell

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
It depends, i.e. PS Plus is way worse now than on ps3 ('free' indies instead of AAA & online hidden behind a paywall), likewise Sony's own first party titles are hit & miss depending upon 'what' people want. I happen to love Killzone & Uncharted, ergo when Horizon replaced the former & Uncharted was retired after a somewhat grim dark story I was disappointed.

Drake's marital problems in 4 was an awful way to end his story & Elena's constant nagging/treasure hunting shaming was totally out of character, i.e. she's the one who pushed Drake to continue searching for the El Dorado treasure in Uncharted 1 despite the fact Drake said "it wasn't worth dying for"!!!

But I did like the Crash Bandicoot remake.

Lort

Banned
Yes it's a loaded question that only results in a disappointing answer.

I reported the post to the mods hoping they can reset the poll with a more honest set of questions.

There is by definition a most dissapointing generation.. why wouldnt we ask which one was in the same pole?

There is nothing dishonest whatsoever about this pole.

Valonquar

There needs to be another option for "No, Sony has never let me down with a game console... unless you count handhelds."

Lort

Banned
There needs to be another option for "No, Sony has never let me down with a game console... unless you count handhelds."

Theres no such option in the xbox poll? By definition you have a favourite and least favourite generation .. sure go ahead and get both polls wording changed so as to protect your feelings if you must.

Last edited:
Right now, April 16, 2018 yes. By the end of next year, when the gen will actually be over, it will be tied with the PS3 at a minimum.

That said, every Playstation console has been more than worth it several times over.

MDSLKTR

Playstation never had a disappointing generation for me ever. But if I had to choose the best it would be the ps2 one when gta3/mgs2/silent hill 2/Jak & daxter came out within months of each other, absolutely broken lineup.

It's a tough call for me to choose between the PS3 and PS4. The PS3 in it's original incarnation was unreliable, overly expensive and technically inferior to the competition. But it had decent BC support (very important to me). The PS4 on the other hand has a complete disregard towards BC but improved on the shortfalls of previous generation. I'll stick with the PS3 for now as hardware failure really grinds my gears.

DonJimbo

Unless you mean the DDoS attacks (which are not hacks, and something that cannot necessarily be easily subverted), the PSN hack (where user accounts were compromised) occurred in April 2011. Quite a bit before this gen.
Yeah i meant the DDoS Attacks ;)

Petrae

PS3 “wins”.

— The hardware came out of the gates at an exorbitant price point.
— The 360 often had better versions of multiplatform games than the PS3.
— PS3 was the first console to require game installations for many of its titles, leading to quickly-filling hard drives and “fridge-cleaning”.
— Sony was late to the party in implementing its own achievement system, leaving a number of games that never had them.
— There was the Great PSN Outage of 2011, which happened during the PS3 era.

There were some decent games for the platform, but these weren’t enough to overcome its problems. In my eyes, it’s easily Sony’s worst console.

SDCowboy

I'd honestly have to say PS2. That era as a whole wasn't the best, IMO.

While the volume of this current gen may be lower, the quality if off the charts.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I'm going to have to say PS4 but I it is mostly because of the lack of games this gen. The ps4 could blow the ps3 out of the water eventually but this gen is not gonna last long enough for that to happen. Everything has just taken a lot more time to release this time around it feels like, so even with all of the hiccups that the ps3 had they still had a ton of games.

DonF

ps3 by far, was such a disappointment. Delays and overhyped games. LAIR, MAG and heavenly sword come to mind. The console was expensive, slow, had worse graphics, lacked features such as online party chat and so on. Yes, it had some great games, but as an overall product it was the worst playstation.

dolabla

PS3 started out rough and is no doubt Sony's roughest start, but it ended up turning into a really awesome machine. And it had real backwards compatibility. Something Sony is completely foreign to now. I definitely enjoyed PS3 more than I do PS4. Last generation was just a better overall generation imo than this generation.

This is is why the Xbox One X is so appealing to me right now is because the backwards compatibility of a generation that had so many good games. And not only is it just backwards compatible, but some of them are backwards compatible 4k enhanced.

Top Bottom