• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is the better game - Halo: Combat Evolved or Metroid Prime?

Halo: Combat Evolved or Metroid Prime?

• Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)

Votes: 176 46.3%
  • Metroid Prime (GameCube)

Votes: 204 53.7%

• Total voters

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's arguable that without Halo, the OG XBOX would have been a wet fart out of the gate which doesn't lead to the 360.

Exhumed/Powerslave is better than Prime IMO. You can't really compare Halo to Prime as their level design and gameplay are really different (just because they share the same viewpoint means little)
I think both Halo and Prime are brilliant and so different from each other, both were worth getting.

Metroid Prime is phenomenal in first person adventure genera, Halo was the father of FPS on controllers, just saying. It's like comparing FF12 to Morrowind, both are RPGs, but they're vastly different.

Returnal just released on PS5, taking a lot of cues from Metroid Prime which was released almost 20 years ago.

I’d say Metroid Prime has just as much, if not more, lasting impact as Halo.

Metroidvania was perfected long before Prime arrived on the scene. Again, not disputing that Prime is a masterpiece. I repeat--I LOVE that game. It sustained me when almost all other Nintendo exclusives were underwhelming or not what I wanted or thought was exciting at the time.

But there's no real argument to be made about the lasting impact of each game on the industry, financially or in FANDOM (ever go to any CON?). Seriously, if we're evaluating that aspect, it's a lopsided victory. Mind you, I did say that may be slightly beyond the purview of a 'pure' discussion on which game is "better"

Metroid Prime is phenomenal in first person adventure genera, Halo was the father of FPS on controllers, just saying. It's like comparing FF12 to Morrowind, both are RPGs, but they're vastly different.
It gets little credit but Alien Resurrection did the dual twin sticks before most. I thought what was so amazing about Halo was the vast open levels and how its seamlessly blended 1st person combat and 3rd person vehicle combat in one game with the best AI going at that time

It gets little credit but Alien Resurrection did the dual twin sticks before most. I thought what was so amazing about Halo was the vast open levels and how its seamlessly blended 1st person combat and 3rd person vehicle combat in one game with the best AI going at that time

It's sad how little credit both that game and film get. Alien Resurection was a fun film that was certainly better than the trash we get now.

It's sad how little credit both that game and film get. Alien Resurection was a fun film that was certainly better than the trash we get now.
I quite agree, more so on the game. To think was it Gamespot or IGN marked the game down for the dual stock controls :(. I also think Aliens 3 (the film) isn't half as bad as it's made out.
I quite enjoyed it in the cinema back when it came out

the_master

- Didn´t make standard as Doom 3, HL2, CS, MoH AA, RTCW, didn´t have this. Even Halo CE does not have rechargeable health.
-CS did limited weapon inventory before.
-Aliens isolation set control scheme before. And aim assist is a pathetic thing for baddies that also came before Halo.
-True
-Never heard of any physics advancement Halo did.
-100% subjetive.
-100% subjetive.
-a what?
-90% of modern action games have it today. Halo CE inteoduced it even thouh had some health buffer that later on disappeared
-But halo made it a standard, also had balanced weapons.
-Halo CE was the first xbox fps and set the controls for the rest, not sure what controls alien had (isolatiin was it called?)
-agreed
-one of the first games to have a proper physics engine, first of the type in console I think, was great at the time. The level of interactionwas great but still far from what was to come.
-subjective but also consensually
-samwe, there is a consensus
-we spent years hearing about the next Halo killer, set the standard for fps from then forward and was a system seller, few games have been more impaactful in videogame history

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
-90% of modern action games have it today. Halo CE inteoduced it even thouh had some health buffer that later on disappeared
-But halo made it a standard, also had balanced weapons.
-Halo CE was the first xbox fps and set the controls for the rest, not sure what controls alien had (isolatiin was it called?)
-agreed
-one of the first games to have a proper physics engine, first of the type in console I think, was great at the time. The level of interactionwas great but still far from what was to come.
-subjective but also consensually
-samwe, there is a consensus
-we spent years hearing about the next Halo killer, set the standard for fps from then forward and was a system seller, few games have been more impaactful in videogame history
-tons of games still have health bar. Doom, UT, Quake Champions, PUBG...
-didn't make anything standard more than CS did before.
-not sure than why you think if has Halo that set standard? Halo "copied" the Alien Resurrection controls
-Games like HL and CS and Quake and UT did't have proper physics engine?
-Halo killer talk = console warriors in a bubble talking about FPS and their sales.

Plus its the first FPS that shamefully doesn't let me disable all the fucking pathetic aim assists.

Last edited:

the_master

-tons of games still have health bar. Doom, UT, Quake Champions, PUBG...
-didn't make anything standard more than CS did before.
-not sure than why you think if has Halo that set standard? Halo "copied" the Alien Resurrection controls
-Games like HL and CS and Quake and UT did't have proper physics engine?
-Halo killer talk = console warriors in a bubble talking about FPS and their sales.

Plus its the first FPS that shamefully doesn't let me disable all the fucking pathetic aim assists.
Are you talking about halo pc?
That was a bad port. Aim assist is absolutely necessary for gamepad, and halo did a great job.

Edit: alien resurrection control scheme is nothing like halo. On that game you used the left triggers to swap weapons.
After halo most fps and tps games had the same control scheme down to fire, grenade, jump, reload and swap weapons. Not an incredible feat but it shows how halo was a reference and inspiration for other games.

I mean, argue what you want, but halo is one of the most influential games ever, it is the equivalent of mario 64 at the time, how the latter set standards for camera, levels and 3d platformer and adventure games.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Are you talking about halo pc?
That was a bad port. Aim assist is absolutely necessary for gamepad, and halo did a great job.

Edit: alien resurrection control scheme is nothing like halo. On that game you used the left triggers to swap weapons.
After halo most fps and tps games had the same control scheme down to fire, grenade, jump, reload and swap weapons. Not an incredible feat but it shows how halo was a reference and inspiration for other games.

I mean, argue what you want, but halo is one of the most influential games ever, it is the equivalent of mario 64 at the time, how the latter set standards for camera, levels and 3d platformer and adventure games.
The only bad about the port is some graphic effects missing and the bullet magnetism that we can´t turn off. And lol at aim assist being necessary. Necessary for the baddies and casuals. Tons of games on controller let you disable every assist and people play more than fine. Only Halo and Destiny (fuck you Bungie) gives you obligatory soft lock + bullet magnetism. Pathetic.

And Mario 64 didn´t set any standard for camera, thank god. The camera control on the C buttons is mediocre.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Two greats, but it's Metroid Prime imo... You'd have to be a very frat'y xboxer to think Halo has a patch on MP for depth... Technically 60fps superhigh polygon MP is pretty stunning on the GCN.

Havoc2049

Game of the Year Awards

Halo
BAFTA: 2002 Console Game of the Year (Also won a BAFTA for best Multiplayer game of 2002)
Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences: 2002 Game of the Year
DICE: 2001 Game of the Year
EGM: 2001 Game of the Year
IGN: 2001 Game of the Year
Spike TV: 2003 PC Game of the Year

Metroid Prime
GDC: 2002 Game of the Year
Edge: 2002 Game of the Year
EGM: 2002 Game of the Year
Gamespot: 2002 Game of the Year

Each won a ton of Xbox and GameCube GOTY awards respectively.

As for the music, the Halo CE soundtrack sold 40,000 copies in just the United States. Rolling Stone magazine gave it the award for best video game soundtrack, the year it released. The two volume Halo 2 soundtrack is the top selling video game soundtrack of all time in the United States. Volume 1 sold more than 100k copies and is the only video game soundtrack to enter the Billboard 200 (162).

the_master

The only bad about the port is some graphic effects missing and the bullet magnetism that we can´t turn off. And lol at aim assist being necessary. Necessary for the baddies and casuals. Tons of games on controller let you disable every assist and people play more than fine. Only Halo and Destiny (fuck you Bungie) gives you obligatory soft lock + bullet magnetism. Pathetic.

And Mario 64 didn´t set any standard for camera, thank god. The camera control on the C buttons is mediocre.
Aim assist is great on controller and that is why the best games have it, and how it was one of the pillars of making FPSs popular on consoles, or how Halo paved the way for the era of FPSs that came.

Mario 64 set a before and after on 3d games, with free 3D movement and camera. Sure the camera controls on 64 today are not great, but they where the stepping stone for modern games to evolve, similar to what Halo did, for example with health. Halo CE did not had the final regenerative health system in place but it applied the idea and took the first step.

BlackTron

These games have nothing to do with each other, other than being played in a first-person perspective. But OK.

I really liked both. Metroid's campaign aged better, but Halo had a multiplayer that I spent more time (and fun) playing than both single player campaigns combined.

But today, Metroid Prime has outlived both Halo's campaign and multiplayer.

levyjl1988

Banned
I prefer Halo.
Metroid is tiring with the constant scanning for 100% journal on enemies and items, if you miss one opportunity then you can't 100% it. Also the reticle is too damn big and so are the volleys, I like the precision of a small to medium reticle and precise bullets like the DMR and BR. Playing Metroid is like playing Splatoon in a way and you have to consider the trajectory almost and it moves slow for energy balls, it feels flat and without impact in the sound department. Perhaps because I was comparing it with the wii compared to the 360.

JCK75

Depends on what you're going for
Single Player -Metroid all day every day
Sitting around with friends and beers, Halo.

Synless

As a single player experience? Metroid. I’ve argued it for years, since the release to be honest.

even hotter take: Metroid kicked Halos ass graphically/artisticly.

Last edited:
Metroid has never been a better or a stronger franchise than Halo, NEVER.

I've never seen in my entire life a Metroid game as the most anticipate game, or having the impact of Halo for the video game industry, it's not a system seller either.

HALO was such a huge monster while his first golden trilogy. Metroid will never reach that level (hype, community, success, sales, impact...).

Last edited:

skit_data

Metroid has never been a better or a stronger franchise than Halo, NEVER.

I've never seen in my entire life a Metroid game as the most anticipate game, or having the impact of Halo for the video game industry, it's not a system seller either.

HALO was such a huge monster while his first golden trilogy. Metroid will never reach that level (hype, community, success, sales, impact...).
Can Master Chief even do stuff like this?

VED2ZRM.gif

sinnergy

As a single player experience? Metroid. I’ve argued it for years, since the release to be honest.

even hotter take: Metroid kicked Halos ass graphically/artisticly.
Last part, true , prime 1 was mind blowing imo, to see it for the first time on the Cube was transformative

Top Bottom