• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is Your Favorite Final Fantasy trilogy?

Favorite Final Fantasy Trilogy ?

• Total voters

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
This is hard. I have a lingering affection for all of them. I think it all comes down to the PlayStation trilogy for me.

Final Fantasy 7 was the first non text and not side scrolling RPG I ever played. I logged hundreds and hundreds of hours on that game. It was (at the time) the most amazing game I had ever played. Just the ability to dive deep into side quests and ignore the main story was amazing. I went from Mario Kart and Golden Eye on the 64 to FF7.

Now FF8… I also (sorta) fell in love with. This game was an initial disappointment, but replaying through it several times now made me appreciate how excellent the music, characters, and draw system truly were. A gun blade? What an awesome concept of a weapon.

FF9 is an absolute favorite. I love the characters, the story… Vivi had such an emotional impact on me. Monkey Boy was more of a sidekick than a hero and I liked that. I'm sorry, every single playthrough I've named him Monkey Boy. I don't even remember his real name. When I tried to replay it before it was remastered, I was super frustrated with the endless fights every two steps and wondered why I loved it.

What is your favorite Final Fantasy trilogy and why?

Kimahri

Banned
Never got through I-III.

IV through VI are great, but mostly in that nostalgic sense. I have fun playing them now, but they don't blow me away.

I love Final Fantasy IX to death, I think VIII is great, but I struggle with finding VII pretty dull to play through. I started it up before remake, and I'm still playing. Can't manage to put more in than an hour tops at a time. Dunno what the deal is. So that hampers that trilogy.

X and XII are two of my favorite games of all. My heart melts just thinking about FFX.

And then I had way more fun than I probably should with the whole XIII trilogy. The music gives me feels.

think I'll have to say X - XII.

HE1NZ

Banned
Probably NES trilogy. 1 is really cool and 3 was comfy on DS. Didn't like any others (that I've played).

Graciaus

The junction system in 8 kind of ruins it but 7 and 9 are both amazing.

4, 5, and 6 are a more balanced pick but I didn't chose them. But what they did for mainstream JRPGs can't be denied.

royox

Hard take.

4,5,6 has 6 that is Top3 FF of all times but 5 that is one of the weakest classics and 4 that was Good but not "wow"

7,8,9 has 9 that is another Top3 FF of all times but it has 8 that was shit and 7 that is "fan favourite" but let's not fool anybody, it wasn't THAT good.

10,11,12 have the first online that i never played, 12 that is one of the weakest FF in the whole saga and 10 that is just Ok

13,14,15 has the same problem. 14 is obviously top3 FF of all times but XV doesn't even count as a complete game and 13 was just ok but also feels not a whole product.

Hard pick. Will vote 4,5,6 just not to vote the with the mainstream herd of "First FF babies" that will vote FFVII.

Best FF trilogy is 6,9 and 14.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
7c6.jpg

sephiroth7x

I dont think this is going to be even remotely close.

The Playstation trilogy was a three game run of perfectionism. However, if you had asked me to put a run of three in a row - I would have said FFVI, FFVII and FFVIII (plus I would have happily added FFIX in there too). All great games though. Love me some FF.

XIII, XIII-2, and LR (XIII-3). I'm not really a huge fan of XIV, but it is a good game. And I don't really like XV.

If I had to pick off your list, I'd go for X, XI and XII. XI is a shockingly underrated game, and X and XII are masterpieces.

SilentUser

PSOne Final Fantasies, followed closely by the SNES titles. 6 impressive titles by all means. PS2 titles were great, too, just not as much.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I go back and forth between the SNES and PS1 trilogies, although I'm not the biggest fan of the middle title in each of those. Might have to give the edge to the SNES trilogy simply due to the significance it had on me.

SkylineRKR

VII, VIII and IX. The most stunning aspect of this is that these released within 3 years or so. IX was only a year after VIII.

VIII gets a lot of shit. Junction (thus using magic) and leveling sucks ass, agreed. But it was a good way to break the game early if you knew what you were doing. Personally I think its fun to be OP with Lionheart etc when I just entered Deling City. You can play it casual though, and still see it through. Though its likely one of the harder FF if you ignore junction completely.

But I think the OST is Nobuo's finest hour (come the fuck on; Force your Way, Find your way, The Landing, Fithos lusec), the intro is one of the best ever, the world is one of the biggest with lots of secrets and some of the best places such as FH. I think the game is at its best during disc 1, and disc 2 post-prison is pretty good too. From there it jumps the shark again, only to have the best fucking final dungeon in the franchise period. But still, I had a ton of fun with the remaster. And Triple Triad is goat minigame.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
It is definitely between SNES and PS1. I personally think FFVIII is not a good game and VI is the best in the franchise, so I'll go with SNES.

Reactions: Isa

Fbh

Pretty close between SNES and PS1.
Overall I like the Ps1 era better. IX is still my favorite and I'd rank 7 pretty high too. VIII isn't in my top 5 but I don't think it's quite as bad as everyone says.

With that said, the SNES ones probably hold up a bit better. As much as I like IX I do think it's rather slow and playing it without the modern speed up options can be a bit of a slog while something like VI can be played in the exact way it was at launch and it still holds up well.

7, 8, 10

9 would've made it, but I couldn't stand the childish characters, and the Disney ripoff aesthetic, same reason I can't stand KH.

Tactics was a great srpg.

4 and 1 were great old school rpgs.

Am I forgetting anything else? No, I don't think I am.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

John Day

Hard to choose generations as a whole here for me 🤣

Shit, i’d go for PS era. Then again I truly loved VI... and XII. And with all it’s shortcomings, and they are so many, I loved XV a lot too.

Pejo

In a vacuum, FFXI is probably my favorite gaming experience of all time, but when I think about what "final fantasy" means to me, it's 4 and 6, so I went with SNES. The PS1 games were great except for 8, but 4 likely won't be topped for me personally. It shaped my gaming tastes for like 15 years. Funny enough, it was FFXIII that pretty much got me away from the franchise with how bad it was.

TheContact

Can't beat the PSX era. The time it in which it was released, the pre rendered backgrounds, and the amazing music. I replay more PSX FFs than any other. FFX was the last good FF though (excluding XIV)

Tschumi

I can't complain with the one that's winning handily, but to me the best FF was 12 so I had to vote for PS2. <3

kunonabi

SNES easily. The NES games were awful, especially 1 and 2, and the PS trilogy was also ass outside of FFIX and even that mostly got by on the characters since the gameplay was bleh.

I suppose an argument could be made for the PS2 trilogy if you're into MMO crap.

The less said about FFXIII-FFXV the better.

Nehezir

Banned
the one that ends most mercifully and tries to ignore the others.

So probs VII-IX, tho XIV is my favorite game in the franchise.
Why are the GB titles left out?

FF Legend 1-3 were great. :lollipop_grinning:
I'm pretty sure legends series were Secret of Mana titles, right?

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

the one that ends most mercifully and tries to ignore the others.

So probs VII-IX, tho XIV is my favorite game in the franchise.

I'm pretty sure legends series were Secret of Mana titles, right?
Turns out they're rebranded SaGa games which is still different than the Mana series.

Final Fantasy Adventure was a rebranded Mana game.

Last edited:

TexMex

The Playstation ones were really special events. I also think that they're the 3 highest quality overall.

PS2 has a case to make with X and XII, but I really can't get into the MMO games.

yurqqa

It would've been better to call it "Eras", not "Trilogies".

If we count all 3, then definitely 7,8,9, although 6 is just as great.

For my taste the ultimate trinity would be 6,7,12 (never played online installments and didn't get into 9's setting for some reason).

Nehezir

Banned
Turns out they're rebranded SaGa games which is still different than the Mana series.

Final Fantasy Adventure was a rebranded Mana game.
ahh! thank you! I knew it wwas something like that but this info comes up MAYBE once a decade for me in conversation so I didn't have it memorized quiet well enough.

sublimit

Banned
Very hard to choose between Playstation and Playstation 2.It's almost impossible.

VII,IX,X and XII are some of my favorite games ever.

From the pre-playstation era IV (DS version) is my favorite.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
FFVII-IX were always my favorite games from the series. X didn't age well, at least on the Vita version I last played. Then again, I haven't really been able to get back into the series at all when I tried this summer and I don't know why.

Top Bottom