• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which member had the best exit on GAF Or: A Very Happy GAF History Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Devolution said:
I have the opposite problem of most people, my metabolism is so fast I have to work to keep weight on. Drinking coffee and soda makes it worse too lol.
I knew a kid back in school who only ever ate little debbie snacks for lunch because he couldn't keep weight on. It was kind of frightening. So many star crunches...

I don't have an amazing metabolism, but I've yet to have to worry about weight. I'm dreading it in the next couple of years. 125-130lbs depending on what time in the day.

Geez....I take a shower and have a nice dinner and wham! This thread is just an orgy of hugs and weight-loss. Not that I'm complaining.

Amir0x said:
Three pronged approach.

1. 30 minutes of tailored exercise each day with 3 days being for an extra hard 1.5 hour-ish workout. Each day we'd work on different muscles, and of course early on tons of cardio.

2. Changed the diet. Water only, I was a big soda drinker before. Now I love water and can barely stand to drink soda. Calories of 1700 per day until I got to a certain goal weight (225lbs), then I changed it up to 2100 calories per day but with more intensive exercise.

3. Lots of support from the family who really engaged me during this time and participated. I would invite my sister over to go running with me a lot, for example. Support is a big part of it.

I can do 1. and 2. pretty easily but I don't have 3. at all. When I was at my thinnest, both mom and dad encouraged me to eat more, even though I was way healthier at the time. When I'd go on a diet, my mother would actively try to sabotage it by buying me potato chips and leave them on my door when I was out. True story.

I've gained some in the past few years and although I'm going to the gym, it's getting hard to lose weight. :(

Londa said:
What if a mod linked your facebook into your tag. Would you do something crazy to get banned?

To be perfectly honest, I've thought a forum like that would be a good experiment. I remember reading a study years ago that as anonymity goes up, aggression and hostility also go up. It follows that if you remove the anonymity, aggression and hostility would go down. Then again, based on "detective GAF", you'd probably have creepers abuse that policy somehow. Still, wish I knew of an online forum like that just to see how it is.

spiderman123 said:
My sister is 29 and she won a fitness/bodybuilding competition in Ontario recently. I feel emasculated.

You shouldn't, unless she beats you up. If that's the case, you really need to make a thread about it immediately.

TheExodu5

Banned
Zapages said:
@Evilore, what would you recommend for someone living in US? Is Snapple's green tea any good?

He's in the US. I've seen plenty of drinks like that around in Canada. I'm sure you can find something similar in your local grocery store, at least in the foreign canned goods isle or something.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Zeliard said:
Well if you were formerly landscaping or whatnot and start living a more sedentary lifestyle, nearing your 30s, you can see those pounds pile on relatively quickly. It's only due to the fact that I still try to eat well despite lack of exercise that it hasn't happened to me.

Yeah its mostly this. I went from having a job that required me to run up and down stairs 9-10 hours a day that burnt so many calories I was eating everything I could get my hands on and was still losing weight to spending every other day in the garden landscaping...to sitting in a classroom/at home studying and not having time to do anything. And then add on quitting smoking and suddenly feeling the urge to shove food in my face 24/7 (I'd seriously wake up in the middle of the night feeling hungry), and the weight came on before I even realized it. I'm not obese or anything,and I don't feel gross, but I definitely need to reduce my weight.

I don't remember, what was OMGLemur/Lemurs' exit from the board like. Considering the content of her time here, I suspect it was pretty good.

My favorite stage-right was Serafitia. The manner in which it came to light, the baiting, the destruction of a 2nd part for a good amount of time... It was all just so fun to watch explode, then implode, then explode again.

LaserBuddha said:
HATE YOU
just kidding!

Hah my friends say that shit too since I can eat whatever the fuck I want without consequence. They told me I have to build a machine that allows them to eat stuff using my metabolism.

ampere

spiderman123 said:
Love me some of that Arizona Green Tea with Ginseng and Honey. The real GT
I think he was recommending calorie-free drinks lol

TheAzRim said:
Oh, it's getting close I can smell it. We're about to see some gaffer pictures.
Flip back a few pages :p

Salazar

TheAzRim said:
Oh, it's getting close I can smell it. We're about to see some gaffer pictures.

There's a thread full of them.

That said, there are probably a heap of folks who have never posted a pic.

spiderman123 said:
Love me some of that Arizona Green Tea with Ginseng and Honey. The real GT

I love that stuff too but it's hardly calorie free. Probably as bad as soda.

keeblerdrow said:
I don't remember, what was OMGLemur/Lemurs' exit from the board like. Considering the content of her time here, I suspect it was pretty good.

My favorite stage-right was Serafitia. The manner in which it came to light, the baiting, the destruction of a 2nd part for a good amount of time... It was all just so fun to watch explode, then implode, then explode again.

The last time I remember Lemurs posting, she dropped the bomb that she had Cystic fibrosis. After that, nothing.

jakncoke said:
Did you drink 8-10+ a day?
3-4 bottles, equaling roughly 5-7 cans. I need major dental work though, so that was a major motivator. I had to leave Miller Park because of an infected tooth which resulted in a migraine, vomiting and cold sweats.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Zapages said:
I have been busy with school, so I have not been able to frequent the forums as before. Although I wish I could create topics on some cool music and on the gaming side. *sigh*

@Evilore, what would you recommend for someone living in US? Is Snapple's green tea any good?

He made some topic about some Moe Moe~ Modern Warfare game and was posting NSFW pictures.

siddx

Seeing my father's side of the family is probably the biggest thing keeping me from just ballooning up. Every single person on that side of family is morbidly obese and my father has spent a decade working his as off to lose weight...but is still very overweight. I was blessed with their genes of course, and seem to gain 5 pounds eating half a cookie. Wish I had gotten my mom's side's genes, they are all crackhead skinny. But everytime I feel like having ice cream, I think about my dad's family and either put it back or take a 1/4th of what I originally planned to eat.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I need to start the weight loss..
aint posting any pictures but got a text from a work friend saying they found my doulbe in the paper and got a picture of Kevin Smith..

aint complaining, would ilke to look like a thinner keinv smith (actually I am thinner but you get my drift)

night shift and only 2 hours sleep I am losing the power to type/spell and be coherent..yeah yeah I am old also..

jakncoke

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
3-4 bottles, equaling roughly 5-7 cans. I need major dental work though, so that was a major motivator. I had to leave Miller Park because of an infected tooth which resulted in a migraine, vomiting and cold sweats.

That's why i contemplated stopping.

siddx said:
Seeing my father's side of the family is probably the biggest thing keeping me from just ballooning up. Every single person on that side of family is morbidly obese and my father has spent a decade working his as off to lose weight...but is still very overweight. I was blessed with their genes of course, and seem to gain 5 pounds eating half a cookie. Wish I had gotten my mom's side's genes, they are all crackhead skinny. But everytime I feel like having ice cream, I think about my dad's family and either put it back or take a 1/4th of what I originally planned to eat.

Tbh get yourself tested for hypothyroidism and I being sincere about this. A lot of men suffer from it and don't know. If you find out after the blood test, the regime the doctors recommend makes a HUGE difference.

edit: the reason I saying this is b/c sounds like most of your fam is overweight so it may be a possibility

Az

okay okay I will post one from my vacation
RyqeD.jpg

The Shadow said:
I love that stuff too but it's hardly calorie free. Probably as bad as soda.

The last time I remember Lemurs posting, she dropped the bomb that she had Cystic fibrosis. After that, nothing.
I can't remember what she was banned for. She was like... 15 at the time and a huge drama whore as you would expect from someone that age. Hope she isn't dead! The other dude with CF on these boards is doing ok, right?

Esch

Banned
I tried that tsatsouline naked warrior shit for strength: works and is effective. Being able to do those pistol squats and 1hand pushups is weird. even though ive been in better shape, arguably i've never been stronger. Ive been adding HIIT sprints and distance in the morning too. Hope to be cut as hell by the summers over. I'll be able to start up boxing again too.

siddx

spiderman123 said:
Tbh get yourself tested for hypothyroidism and I being sincere about this. A lot of men suffer from it and don't know. If you find out after the blood test, the regime the doctors recommend makes a HUGE difference.

edit: the reason I saying this is b/c sounds like most of your fam is overweight so it may be a possibility

I'll try to remember to ask about it next check up, thanks for the recommendation.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Zapages said:
sounds like an account suicide or a stupid move.

Don't think it was account suicide (I think icecream just got back from a ban before getting banned again due to that thread), it was just icecream being icecream :p

xbhaskarx

jakncoke said:
I tried to stop, made it to 27 hours and went back. I might attempt sometime again. Dunno.

Really, you can barely make it a full day without drinking soda?
It's not really some hardcore addiction, you're probably not trying very hard.

blame space said:
i'm so glad this thread is still bumped tonight

the positiveness is inspiring me

Maybe in the future, we can all collectively pee on injustice and hate. This thread is where it will all start.

Zapages said:
does anyone know why amMortal, shag_187, and ice cream got banned?
Seach ice cream's thread. It's a no brainer.

Green tea, Jasmine, Black Tea or water. I live on that stuff now. Before I would be chugging soda on every lunch break working in the office. The pounds just add on. Not til someone mention how much weight you gain, do I realize, oh shit. Opened a gym membership since then, but I'm getting lazy again.

Esch

Banned
I just realized that JBaird's thread isn't archived. It absolutely needs to be. One of the most insane threads I have ever read anywhere.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Zapages said:
I have been busy with school, so I have not been able to frequent the forums as before. Although I wish I could create topics on some cool music and on the gaming side. *sigh*

You can get Ito En Oi Ocha in the states, and that's the best I've tasted so far, by far. Lots of brands of bottled unsweetened green tea available though, just check what the stores near you have. Do you have a Whole Foods? If so, you should be able to find Ito En and Tazo and so forth. Some supermarkets will carry specialty brands like that, and if not you should be able to find more mainstream brands like Honest Tea. If you have a Trader Joe's, they have a pretty good concoction of green tea + white tea + a hint of mint.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Amir0x said:
this thread is more of a community exercise in togetherness at this point

join in and hold hands

Seriously fuck this thread. Someone tell Amirox what you really think of him! Come on... he's right there! And everyone will see you and think you're a big shot.

siddx

TheAzRim said:
Gatlinburg, TN

You can tell I've been in Florida for too long.

The people in Tennessee terrified me, but the state itself was beautiful.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
The Shadow said:
Maybe in the future, we can all collectively pee on injustice and hate. This thread is where it will all start.
We've been doing it for months in the Pony thread.

Bunch of Johnny-come-latelys.

Borgnine said:
Seriously fuck this thread. Someone tell Amirox what you really think of him! Come on... he's right there! And everyone will see you and think you're a big shot.
Amir0x is responsible for Opiate, so he's on The List in perpetuity.

NewFresh

EviLore said:
You can get Ito En Oi Ocha in the states, and that's the best I've tasted so far, by far. Lots of brands of bottled unsweetened green tea available though, just check what the stores near you have. Do you have a Whole Foods? If so, you should be able to find Ito En and Tazo and so forth. Some supermarkets will carry specialty brands like that, and if not you should be able to find more mainstream brands like Honest Tea. If you have a Trader Joe's, they have a pretty good concoction of green tea + white tea + a hint of mint.

Trader Joes is great and my local one is cheaper than the whole foods for tea. Online is also a good place to get some quality tea.

Also to the people with a bad soda drinking habit, I used to be the same. Only way I could stop was cold turkey. Right out of highschool I switched to only water, tea, and coffee.

Zeliard

Cutting out soda, coffee, etc was one of the easiest things for me, personally. Water is lovely. Tea in general is also a treat. It got to be where at some point soda started tasting somewhat bad to me. I mean I'll still snag one here and there when I grab the rare fast food meal, even though I shouldn't, but it actually tastes differently ever since I cut sodas and such almost completely out of my diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom