• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which member had the best exit on GAF Or: A Very Happy GAF History Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The_Technomancer said:
Wait, I'm sorry, you said you're drinking 8-10 cans of Mountain Dew a day?

Jesus dude I think you spend twice as much a week on soda as I do on food

1360-1700 calories, 368-460 grams of sugar, just from soda each day. You're going to be type 2 diabetic if you aren't already, your liver is going to be cirrhotic if it isn't already, and cutting that out completely you'd lose a pound like every two days for quite some time without even doing anything else.

This thread is awesome. My favourite GAF moment is probably the FFXIII Megathread that Kagari made the years prior to the launch of the game. So many disappointed posters...

i look back on a lot of the choices my parents made when i was growing up with genuine hostility, but sweet jesus am i thankful they didn't ever buy soda pop.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
EviLore said:
1360-1700 calories, 368-460 grams of sugar, just from soda each day. You're going to be type 2 diabetic if you aren't already, and cutting that out completely you'd lose a pound like every two days for quite some time without even doing anything else.

Yeah, about 5 years ago when I switched from drinking normal soda to diet soda, I dropped 10 pounds in the first month without changing anything else about my diet or exercise.

xbhaskarx

jakncoke said:
8-10 cans mtn dew for like 5 years now. Its hard for me, specially when i love the taste of mtn dew
8-10 cans of Mountain Dew per day??
TheExodu5 said:
That's 1800 calories in Mountain Dew a day...
EmmanuelMunoz said:
Have you ever tried switching to something else? Something without that much sugar?

Forget about the calories and even the sugar, I wonder if he knows all the ingredients in Mountain Dew:
In its primary market of the United States, the ingredient composition of Mountain Dew is listed as: “carbonated water, High-fructose corn syrup (in much of the U.S.), concentrated orange juice, citric acid, natural flavors, sodium benzoate, caffeine, sodium citrate, erythorbic acid, gum arabic, calcium disodium EDTA, brominated vegetable oil, and yellow 5.”[10]

sodium benzoate
Benzene in soft drinks
brominated vegetable oil
Yellow 5
calcium disodium EDTA

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
-Eddman- said:
Damn, it's weird to say this, but I would like to use some of your experiences as motivation to gain weight. I'm in the opposite side, I'm way too skinny for my own good but I can't find the time/motivation to eat 5 or 6 times a day and go to the gym.

I would like to see some "I was a bonesack but then I got ripped" stories :)
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program#Practical_Programming_Novice_Program:

Use that for starting out (1-2 months, then move onto more involved routines). Stretch/warmup before workouts. Always lift till failure (having a spotter helps), or the limits of what feels safe for you.

I've only being doing it for 2 weeks and I'm already seeing a difference.

Have some wholemeal bread with peanut butter pre-workout (half an hour before) and a protein shake IMMEDIATELY after the workout.

eat big (plenty of protein), drinks lots of milk, get plenty of sleep

i'm still a "bonesack", but that's nothing compared to what I used to be... seriously. i was scarily skinny.

TheExodu5

Banned
butter_stick said:
People drink that much non-diet drinks?

Wow.

I doubt infusing your body with tons of aspartame can be too good for you either. I'm just going to play it safe and go down to water and tea, as suggested.

(with the occasional alcoholic beverage, of course)

NewFresh

blame space said:
i look back on a lot of the choices my parents made when i was growing up with genuine hostility, but sweet jesus am i thankful they didn't ever buy soda pop.

My parents used to buy it all the time, they still do. I made a choice to avoid it, the rest of my family did not

I used to drink about 6 Pepsi max a day. Cut down to three now, though the wife is trying to get me to one.

I stopped drinking alcohol one day, and only really ever missed the social aspect of it (and Cognac when sick).. but giving up Pepsi Max seems a bridge too far :(

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
butter_stick said:
People drink that much non-diet drinks?

Wow.
Honestly even diet drinks in that scale surprise me. Usually every day its one bowl of milk at breakfast and nothing but water throughout the rest of the day. I drink soda once a week if that, although I know that's weird.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
TheExodu5 said:
I doubt infusing your body with tons of aspartame can be too good for you either. I'm just going to play it safe and go down to water and tea, as suggested.

not really a soda/fizzy drinks drinker... but they had some Diet Sprite on sale in the local super market was a six pack was only £1 felt like buying some.. two cans in and I started to get a really strange headache...I swear Apsartame does that to me all the time...anytime I chew any Sugar free chewing gum or have any diet drink (such as low sugar cranberry jucie etc) I check the pack for that ingredient...

jesus christ. I don't think I've drank 10 cans of mountain dew in the past 15 years. I would be ridiculously fat if I drank that much soda in a day! fuckkkk. I have maybe 2 cans of soda a week.

TheExodu5

Banned
OttomanScribe said:
I stopped drinking alcohol one day, and only really ever missed the social aspect of it (and Cognac when sick).. but giving up Pepsi Max seems a bridge too far :(

I've done it before...I just lapsed.

Honestly, I remember it only being hard for a week or so. After that, you get used to water and even develop a craving for it. You lose all soda craving.

siddx

I can't stand water, I find the flavor repulsive. I'd rather drink juice than diet soda but there is too much sugar in Juice.

siddx said:
I can't stand water, I find the flavor repulsive. I'd rather drink juice than diet soda but there is too much sugar in Juice.
crystal light, mio, various other options. Find one you like. It's better than sugarwaterbomb soda.

TheExodu5 said:

'the weight of existing scientific evidence indicates that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a non-nutritive sweetener'

Magnuson BA, Burdock GA, Doull J, et al. (2007). "Aspartame: a safety evaluation based on current use levels, regulations, and toxicological and epidemiological studies". Critical Reviews in Toxicology 37 (8): 629–727

TheExodu5

Banned
siddx said:

You seriously get used to it pretty quickly. Give it a week.

I'm starting again tomorrow.

Zeliard

TheExodu5 said:
I've done it before...I just lapsed.

Honestly, I remember it only being hard for a week or so. After that, you get used to water and even develop a craving for it. You lose all soda craving.

It's true. The thought of drinking a soda becomes almost repulsive.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The_Technomancer said:
Honestly even diet drinks in that scale surprise me. Usually every day its one bowl of milk at breakfast and nothing but water throughout the rest of the day. I drink soda once a week if that, although I know that's weird.

Yeah, even if he would switch to 8-10 diet cans a day(which is fucking nuts), that still isn't good. I used to drink nothing but pop, maybe like 3-4 cans a day, switched to diet for awhile while drinking the same amount, dropped it for water and lost 25 pounds doing nothing else to my diet. If I drink any now I usually get a headache if I go over one can.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
My parents used to buy it all the time, they still do. I made a choice to avoid it, the rest of my family did not

did you make that choice as a kid? that's really impressive if so..

i mean familiarity breeds habit.. i find it weird that there are now 20-somethings who were soda households like there used to be smoking households.

my mom tried her darndest to get me hooked on on shame, religion, and vitamins but i avoided all that shit like the plague.

siddx said:

you are delusional because water does not have taste

i come from a soda and fast food household, made eating hard a lot as a kid because i abstain from that stuff. my family scrambles around like chickens on various diets trying to stay healthy. i feel bad

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
zerokoolpsx said:
It got derailed a few pages back.
how can you derail if there is no track

philosaptor-47.jpg

siddx

elrechazao said:
crystal light, mio, various other options. Find one you like. It's better than sugarwaterbomb soda.

I don't like that stuff. And it isn't. In fact I'd rather drink plain water than water with all that junk in it. I enjoy the taste of diet soda. I will keep drinking it.

If we want to keep this thread positive we should really steer away from this topic. Every thread about soda ends up being swarmed by condescending bullshit about how stupid people who drink soda are.

Esch

Banned
Zeliard said:
It's true. The thought of drinking a soda becomes almost repulsive.

Heh, i wouldn't say that much but i definitely notice that.. cloying HFCS taste in a lot of food now that i've gone mostly toward natural stuff.

sidd, i dont think you're stupid but damn, i just dunno how ya can't enjoy a tall glass of clean water with some ice. sogood.gif

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I need to get some Ito En Oi Ocha now. I'll try and see if they are at the Whole Foods near my new place.

I always wondered what happened to RubxQub for him to get banned. He was a pretty good poster from what I saw and didnt seem like the type to do something to get banned.

blame space said:

i mean familiarity breeds habit.. i find it weird that there are now 20-somethings who were soda households like there used to be smoking households.

my mom tried her darndest to get me hooked on on shame, religion, and vitamins but i avoided all that shit like the plague.
A little shame might have been good for you.

Alpha-Bromega said:
you are delusional because water does not have taste
Yes, it does in fact have a taste, because nothing you drink is 100% water. Water as we obtain it tastes of various minerals and other additives that are in it. Saying water has no taste is pedantic, because h20 in it's pure form has no taste obviously, but nobody drinks pure h20.

NewFresh

blame space said:

Avoided all the stuff that you mentioned as well, but i do take vitamins.

I started slowing down once I hit highschool. Once i was a senior I had completely stopped and have not had any since.

siddx

elrechazao said:
Yes, it does in fact have a taste, because nothing you drink is 100% water. Water as we obtain it tastes of various minerals and other additives that are in it. Saying water has no taste is pedantic, because h20 in it's pure form has no taste obviously, but nobody drinks pure h20.

Correct, I find bottled water tastes like plastic, and the tap water here (we have a well) is way too tangy.

Esch

Banned
i've had deionized water before. overrated.

siddx said:
Correct, I find bottled water tastes like plastic, and the tap water here (we have a well) is way too tangy.

solution: brita filter? or move to closer to the mississippi where you get amazing water(coming from a guy that's always lived close to it in STL and Memphis). Godly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom