• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which 'moments' have to be recaptured in the FF VII remake?

Zukuu

Banned
There are many truly iconic moments in Final Fantasy VII and one I share with many others, is when you first leave Midgar and realize that after 10+ hours you have seen NOTHING of the world yet and your journey has just begun.
mzjEX.png

FFVII%20-%20Overworld%202-620x.jpg
It was mind blowing at the time and is still a feat nowadays. Many other games are long over after 10 hours, FF7 just begins. Just look at the tiny dot of the map.

There are many other, but I want to limit myself to one (except the obvious above):
Rocket Town / Cid's backstory.
The flashback you have about Cid realizing his dream to visit the stars are once again shattered during the last seconds:
Along with the heartwrenching music, fittingly called "Sending a dream into the universe", it gives me chills and gets me teary every time. Just listening to the theme makes me incredibly melancholic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukIY4A6cMHM
It was clear right away, that this will be my funeral music.
(Midi version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqJijjcgSuk)

This is one of the most emotional scenes in gaming history to me (along with Aerith's scene and some scenes in NieR) and I hope they can reenact that without being overly dramatic / cringey ala FF13. It wasn't visual impressive or fast cut, it worked through the sheer understanding of a man's biggest wish being crushed.

What are your FF 7 moments?
edit: Post pics / music!

Leaving Midgar and climbing down that cable was amazing.

The only feeling I can equate it to in my adult life is quitting a job I didn't like.

DarkKyo

How about when the crew is locked in the Shinra tower, and when they make their escape they see the walls slathered in blood?? That's gonna be a sweet scene on PS4, almost horror movie-ish.

There are many truly iconic moments in Final Fantasy VII and one I share with many others is, when you first leave Midgar and realize that after 10+ hours you have seen NOTHING yet of the world and your journey has just begun.

It was mind blowing at the time and is still a feat nowadays. Many other games are long over after 10 hours, this one just begins. Just look at the tiny dot of the map.

There are many others, but I want to limit myself to one (except the obvious above):
Rocket Town / Cid's backstory.

The flashback you have about Cid realizing his dream to visit the stars are once again shattered in the last seconds:

Along with the heartwrenching music fittingly called "Sending a dream into the universe" gives me chills and gets me teary every time. Just listening to the theme makes me incredibly melancholic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukIY4A6cMHM
It was clear right away, that this will be my funeral music.
(Midi version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqJijjcgSuk)

This is one of the most emotional scenes in gaming history to me (along with Aerith's scene and some of NieR's) and I hope they can reenact that without being overly dramatic / cringey ala FF13. It wasn't visual impressive or fast cut, it worked through the sheer understanding of a man's biggest wish being crushed.

What are your FF 7 moments?

Just everything ;(
If you wanna do a remake, stay true to the original.
There's a reason why this game has such a huge fanbase.
Remake it with modern technology, bigger/real worlds, more details, more effects, etc. but let it be Final Fantasy VII, dammit.

bigkrev

Honeybee Inn scene, the date with Barrett at the Golden Saucer, and the Crossdressing Scene.

The original had lots of less serious moments, and I'm scared they will take all of them out and make the game even more #grimdark.

Miang

The whole Cosmo Canyon section.

The beautiful location, learning about the lore of the Planet, the section in the observatory with Bugenhagen explaining the Lifestream (imagine that in HD!) exploring the Gi cave (that could be super creepy in the remake), and Seto's redemption with DAT MUSIC

mLa7GwE.jpg

And also the whole fucking game.

Still can't believe it's real. We are in a universe where this is happening.

danthefan

Tbh I had middling hype for this game but after just looking at the screens in the OP...

Holeeee fuck I want it right now.

Came to say both examples posted in the OP, actually.

So I'll go with another one: Crossing the sandy area right before the cave just outside of Kalm only to find the Midgar Zolom you've been trying to avoid completely skewered by Sephiroth.

FFVII-MidgarZolom_Death.jpg

Say what you want about the character himself, but goddamn does the game do a great job of building him up over the course of the game, starting with the Shinra building massacre.

Fairly certain it's going to be there, for plot's sake, but I can't wait to see the Nibelheim flashback with Sephiroth and the mansion. That's going to look terrifying.

Oh and Golden Saucer.

Skeff

The beautiful location, learning about the lore of the Planet, the section in the observatory with Bugenhagen explaining the Lifestream (imagine that in HD!) exploring the Gi cave (that could be super creepy in the remake), and Seto's redemption with DAT MUSIC

mLa7GwE.jpg

Seto's redemption is going to be emotional. Very emotional.

Zukuu

Banned
How about when the crew is locked in the Shinra tower, and when they make their escape they see the walls slathered in blood?? That's gonna be a sweet scene on PS4, almost horror movie-ish.
Yeah, that is another favorite. I remember how that made me fear Sephiroth. Coupled with the dominating theme it was a great way to introduce him. (MGS copied this scene btw)

He became even more intimidating after seeing this:

Afterwards I was scared shirtless whenever he was on screen, like when he was chasing you in the Temple of the Ancients.

Shabad

So many...

The obvious ones would be Aerith's death, the church fall, essentially every single scene in Nibelheim, ... But I think the one I am looking for the most is the Gold Saucer. I want to be blown away by that.

ghostlobby.jpg

Every scene that happens in the Ghost Hotel of the Gold Saucer. That place should look really nice in HD, though I wonder how they will treat the cartoony ghosts. They may look out of place surrounded by all the realistic human models.

ampere

Crossdressing

Honestly the voice acting is big though, capturing the same feel with voice acting for the whole game will be tricky.

Cidd

I hope square take a few tips from Hideo Kojima and the MGS series. MGS is a serious game with serious consequences but damn if it doesn't have some hilarious scenes lol.

Zukuu

Banned

mLa7GwE.jpg

Another scene where I always get goosebumps²³²³²³. Cosmo Canyon /Red's theme are so great.

Foolworm

The cutscene where they try to walk into Cloud and collide.

The training room with the girl's limit break.

Chocobo incest.

Top Bottom