• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which of the Three Big Shooters Will You Get This Year?

Which FPS are you looking forward to the most?

• Total voters

VN1X

Banned
So now that we've had chance to test-run all three big shooty shoot games which one(s) are you going to be playing the most? Call of Duty, Halo or Battlefield?

For me it's a resounding "none of the above" as I'm afraid they all left me cold. Aside from all the performance issues on (my) PC with these titles they just didn't grab me at all. As a long time player of all three series (from the very first games no less) I'm disappointed that in the one year they all release new entries simultaneously my hype has plummeted through the floor. They might all turn into (very) good games a year after launch or so (especially Halo and Battlefield I'd imagine) but I'm definitely not getting any of these on day one. That said, Halo's multiplayer is supposed to be free to play so even if it's meh I'll still check it out every now and then to see if there's anything that can get me excited. The other two have a whole lot of work ahead of them if they want to me to put down 50eu though. Those 'betas' came in hot to say the least lol.

Anyway, what say you GAF? Am I wrong because I'm a stupid head and you will therefor get all three just to spite me? Or do you agree and take a stand against this digitized crack known as "videogames" and vote with your wallet (and time)!

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

BF: 2042 and Infinite, here. Still debating on Vanguard. What I played of the beta performed better and felt better in some ways that Cold War IMO. But I dunno, I still think it may be time for another COD break.

I think that Infinite is going to feel like the biggest breath of fresh air. Not because we haven't experienced it before, but because we haven't had a Halo that played like that in, what? A decade? Where as COD is every year, and BF is basically every couple.

I really wish we'd see more innovation. I'm tired of all these games just feeling so "safe."

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I'll probably play Halo Infinite's campaign in a few years, but the upcoming shooters that have me excited are S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl and Atomic Heart. As far as multiplayer goes, I really only like games with free community-run servers, and tons of user-made gamemodes and maps, like Valve's games.

Fredrik

It’s not my genre to be honest but I finished Halo 5 recently and came off it wanting more so Halo Infinite is my choice. Plus realistic war games is so not my thing.

Kupfer

None.
Technically, FPS is still my favourite genre but games, MP titles in particular, became somewhat shallow and boring in the last decade.
Hell Let Loose is my surprise FPS of the year.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
giphy.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Halo is a given as it's a Game Pass freebie. I'm not even a Halo gamer at all, but surprisingly I had more fun with it than Vanguard or 2042 even though I had no idea what I was doing. I found the test play to be super smooth and crisp playing.

I put Vanguard too. Not confirmed, but chances are good me or my buddy who I do home sharing with will get it eventually.

After playing the 2042 beta No thanks. Vanguard isnt great either, but I like WWII settings, even though this game has an odd mix of WWII and modern gun attachments. If my buddy gets it all the better. I'll just leach off his purchase.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

None for me, though my friend is threatening to buy me Battlefield.
CoD beta turned me off this years game and with it being another WWII from Sledgehammer... Easy skip.
I have no faith in DICE making a game that isn't a buggy mess at launch and being able to produce new maps that don't take 2 years to release.

Antwix

I picked none because all of them aren't really super appealing to me anymore. I did just start playing BF beta yesterday and while I did have fun, I know I won't be sucked in like in the past. COD is a pass for me nowadays. However, I maybe will play Halo here and there due to it being on Game Pass.

None. But I get Halo for free so I'll be trying out the campaign. First one I've played since part 1, which I did buy for the OG Xbawks.

Halo Infinite completely surpassed my expectations in those two flights.

Battlefield 2042 completely dashed my expectations in the beta.

Only Halo this holiday.

manfestival

BF2042 is the only one getting my money but I will be playing Halo for the f2p MP. I mean it is a quality triple A f2p shooter effectively. Seems like a no duh sorta thing.
Really enjoyed my time with friends in BF2042

Certinty

Honestly, I love the campaigns in Call of Duty games. Some are not great but they always manage to be fun.

Halo Infinite I’ll give a go purely to play with friends and it’s on Game Pass anyway.

I have zero interest for Battlefield.

i didn't try COD Vanguard

i tried Halo and BF. I haven't bought a Halo game since i got Reach used a couple years back. I don't have to buy Infinite since i have gamepass and the multiplayer is free anyway. But after that Halo beta....its the one i would buy if i had to choose. I thought halo 4 and 5 multiplayer sucked. So i was pleasantly surprised by how much fun i had playing Infinite.

BF 2042 made me want to just go back to playing BF4. Halo Infinite didn't give me that feeling of "this sucks let me go play the old one to cleanse my palate". Instead i was thinking oh wow i can't wait to play that again

GymWolf

after playing the battlefield beta the only one i'll be buying is Halo.

so you'll let others judge it and tell you what to buy? maybe you should try playing games yourself and making up your own opinions instead of being spoon fed and having your handheld.
What the hell are you talking about? i'm gonna judge by myself by watching trailers, gameplay, some streams etc. like i do with every game, you REALLY picked the wrong guy on this one dude.

I never cared about reviews in the last 10-15 years or so, i only read them for info like number of levels, weapons, enemy variety, pc optimization etc. and sometimes they even get this stuff wrong, so...

At best i'm gonna use feedbacks from people with similar taste to mine that i know well in here or other forums, but my opinion remain the most important one.

Since they showed jack shit, it's probably not gonna be a day one purchase unless they release some loooong campaign footage before release date.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
i didn't try COD Vanguard

i tried Halo and BF. I haven't bought a Halo game since i got Reach used a couple years back. I don't have to buy Infinite since i have gamepass and the multiplayer is free anyway. But after that Halo beta....its the one i would buy if i had to choose. I thought halo 4 and 5 multiplayer sucked. So i was pleasantly surprised by how much fun i had playing Infinite.

BF 2042 made me want to just go back to playing BF4. Halo Infinite didn't give me that feeling of "this sucks let me go play the old one to cleanse my palate". Instead i was thinking oh wow i can't wait to play that again
COD Vanguard can be summed up as this:

- It's COD, so you'll be familiar with it right away
- WWII aesthetics and guns + modern era attachments
- Recoil seemed noticeably more than modern warfare kinds of games
- Graphics were meh. Hi res, but could had been mistaken for a 2015 COD game
- The worst audio I've ever heard in a COD game. I'd put 360 era COD games with more impactful sound

Unless you got a desperate itch for COD WWII (because you dont want to play the 2016 game and World at War servers must be dead by now), you can skip Vanguard.

Mr Hyde

None. Can't honestly think of more boring games than this trifecta. Happy for you who's enjoying them though. Three in a row makes for one hell of a holiday.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Call of Duty Vanguard. I like Call of Duty campaigns and this one looks really good

I couldn't care less about MP

Top Bottom