• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which PC game digital distribution services have you used in the last 12 months?

Which PC game digital distribution services have you used in the last 12 months?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The Faceless Master said:
i got Bejeweled 2 for free from Popcap!!! that's "other", right?

Yeah, Other would generally be stuff like EA Store, Blizzard Store, Popcap, Telltale, etc.

Just STEAM and GOG.

I used to like the idea of Impulse but even though they started as a very promising platform, their games catalog is pathetic and on top of that, a great number of their games are only available to the US/Canada.

as far as Steam goes, i'm gonna bring up an ages old story... i played and loved the AudioSurf beta, and the only reason i never bought the game was because it requires Steam (it has Steamworks). not like that was in the past 12 months anyway...

EviLore said:
Yeah, Other would generally be stuff like EA Store, Blizzard Store, Popcap, Telltale, etc.
Ok, cool.

Only Steam and during big sales when I can get digital copies of games I already own for cheap. I like to buy physical copies of all of my games, but I cannot deny the ease of re-installing a game with just a few clicks.

Steam only, but i have only just got a gaming PC again, and i am going to use GOG soon. Haven't even heard/looked at the others.

undu

Steam, Battle.net (sc2 beta and classic games) and he popcap shop.

I cannot vote, is it because I'm a junior?

Steam - For about 90% of the titles that I've purchased in the last 12 months.
Direct2Drive - Purchased The Chronicles of Riddick and Saints Row.
Good Old Games - Purchased Postal and Rainbow Six.
Green Man Gaming - Purchased Alpha Protocol, Necrovision, and World of Goo.
Battle.net - Purchased Starcraft 2 and World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.
Impulse - Tried to download Prometheus.

Nert

Just Steam here (the sales are crazy); when I have some more free time, I plan on getting into GOG and finding older games that can run smoothly on my netbook.

I still go retail if the game has no DRM/a more favorably DRM than STEAM. Otherwise for DD,

STEAM- Pretty much everything but really it's the library/sales that keep me consuming from Valve.

GOG- Planescape: Torment, Broken Sword 2, Europa 1400- I plan on using the service more.

Impulse- I've used them once for Sins of a Solar Empire for $3.50. That's been pretty much it.

Out of the 3 that I've used, GoG is my favorite as a service b/c it's nonintrusive and just works. I don't expect publishers to ever flock to the service with new releases but I hope down the line this service is still around so that 5-10 years from now, we can get games released in this current era compatible with the next OS and DRM free for $10-$15.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Only steam, I am looking into using GOG in the future though.

Edit: Wait, I should of put down other also, I do have bought some stuff right from Telltale. My guess is other is going to be under represented.

Steam - mainly for sales, not so much full priced games, they're usually cheaper online - Amazon or Play.com
D2D - Got Supreme Commander 1 w/ Expansion in a sale
GOG.com - Got Fallout 1

I go where the sales and food games are, as long as the DRM isn't insane (which isn't a problem on any of the major services anymore). I've used Steam the most of course, direct2drive for enough sales that I have about ten games, Impulse for Stardock games and rarely anything else, Battle.net for obvious reasons, and GOG for older stuff. Of all of them, GOG and Steam are the standouts. I would never use just one -- I'm not that kind of consumer -- but if I was to narrow it down to keep things simple, those would be the ones I basically couldn't live without.

Mooreberg

None, but I used Steam quite a bit when I did play PC games. I'm getting more into rentals and trading games in now that every game is more expensive and has some kind of DLC attached to it to further boost the price.

LegatoB

Whoops, can I get a mulligan? I think I forgot to check Other -- I did get Metro 2033 from the THQ store, though I plugged the key into Steam right afterward. Otherwise, it's the usual story -- mostly Steam purchases, but I've used Gamersgate and D2D at least once each this year, for sales or games not on Steam at the time.

Instro

Steam, D2D and GoG. Like 90% of my DD purchases are through Steam though. Amazon added a DD service recently, anyone tried it out?

twdnewh_k

Only steam. I'm more than happy.
I only bought 2 Pc games in the last 2-3 years outside steam. Starcraft 2 and black ops. Black ops only cuz d2d had a promo code for $15 off, and I prolly wouldn't have done it if it weren't a steam works game

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
GOG is it for me. I do not have a gaming PC, so it's a great place for easy access to classic games that I can actually run on my "rig".

Personally I think the options in the OP are rather poor.

Blizzard's online store is bigger than Impulse and Gamersgate going by all previous data, so it should be in the OP. As should EA's and GFWL.

Isn't GFWL a digital distribution store? You can buy full titles for $$ and DLC with Microsoft points. It is getting rebranded soon to position it against Steam.

edit. Oh okay Other it is, for a bunch of stores that people probably used for one off deals.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Nemesis121 said:
Steam 99.9% of the time, I used Windows live once to get Batman:AA for $13 back in March.
Same here. I forgot about that. I forgot I even owned the game.

I used Steam for, well, lots. D2D had a strategy game sale (SupCom, WiC, CoH), I bought Red Faction from Impulse, Titan Quest from Gamersgate and Sacrifice from GoG. I even bought Splinter Cell from Ubi during the $1 fire-sale.

brain_stew said:

Blizzard's online store is bigger than Impulse and Gamersgate going by all previous data, so it should be in the OP. As should EA's and GFWL.

If that is true for GAF members, "Others" category should end up high on the list eventually.

MirageDwarf said:
If that is true for GAF members, "Others" category should end up high on the list eventually.

The problem with having an "other" category is that people can quite easily miss it out. Simply have a store's name specifically listed means that people are more likely to remember using it, I forgot to tick "other" myself but I'd have ticked a dedicated GFWL box if it was there.

What's the maximum number of entries for a GAF poll? That should have been maxed out and if it was, well I don't think the op has the best options. Like I said before, all previous data has put stores like Impulse and Gamer's Gate below the likes of EA and Blizzard's store.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
brain_stew said:

Weren't enough poll options for things like EA Store and Blizzard Store to have separate selections, and I felt the focus of the poll should be on services with games from multiple publishers, i.e. replacements for brick and mortar, given the poll limitations.

GFWL On Demand has to be the worst DD service ever conceived, as it doesn't actually have a storefront. It's just an option to click on in certain game pages on the GFWL site.

kuYuri

Steam and some GOG.

I have a Battle.net account with Starcraft + BW and Diablo II, but otherwise it's Steam majority of the time.

EDIT: Oh damn, forgot GFWL Marketplace.

Boonoo

Woops. Forgot about the Blizz store. But I almost don't count that, since there's almost no difference between buying there and buying in a store.

Other than that it's all Steam. I'm too tied to the convenience now.

EviLore said:

Crap, I forgot to check off "Other" for the free Popcap download. :(

I have used Telltale but not in the past 12 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom