• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which PC game digital distribution services have you used in the last 12 months?

Which PC game digital distribution services have you used in the last 12 months?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edbrat

I'm not a huge pc gamer at all but would quite like to get more involved, need to upgrade my PC but have no idea how and whenever I ask someone who has the smarts its gets v complex v quickly :lol But it is good enough to play Football Manager and SC2 (on crappy settings) - only installed steam because it came with last year's FM, then added a few other games because of steam's insane sales and I still haven't even tried LFD2 but it was just so cheap. Will purchase this year's FM through steam if i can afford to nuke a fortnight of my life over xmas. Even though I don't use Steam much it is unobtrusive and helpful enough to not piss me off.

edbrat said:
I'm not a huge pc gamer at all but would quite like to get more involved, need to upgrade my PC but have no idea how and whenever I ask someone who has the smarts its gets v complex v quickly :lol But it is good enough to play Football Manager and SC2 (on crappy settings) - only installed steam because it came with last year's FM, then added a few other games because of steam's insane sales and I still haven't even tried LFD2 but it was just so cheap. Will purchase this year's FM through steam if i can afford to nuke a fortnight of my life over xmas. Even though I don't use Steam much it is unobtrusive and helpful enough to not piss me off.
Check out the "I need a PC!" 2010 topic. They'll lay it out in easy to understand terms and links. I just ordered a brand new build thanks to help from that topic.

gotee12

Just made my first Amazon DD purchase. Didn't even know they offered that service. Bought Majesty 2 for $6.16 from Amazon while I was price checking the game there against Impulse's weekend deal of $7.50.

Mostly Steam. Bought Civ 5 on D2D because of a discount code. Tried to use GoG earlier in the year but it the purchase kept failing. I'll have to try again sometime after the website revamp. Used EA once when they had the pax promo code that I used for Dragon Age:Awakenings.

So to summarize, I use Steam unless there's a better deal somewhere else. So if people want to stay in business with Steam, promo codes are the way to go. Everyone I know picked up Civ5, a steamworks game, on D2D because they saved 10 bucks. D2D didn't even need to use their bandwidth, they just gave out Steam codes for preorders.

RustyO

Steam and Good Old Games here.

Not even aware / haven't even looked at other sites/suppliers. (tbh I didn't know some of them existed)

I'm not a heavy pc gamer, but have about 30 odd games on Steam and a few on GoG.

I mainly get things on sale/impuse (Half-Life pack, Indie game pack, L4D2), or if highly recommended by friends/NeoGAF (Witcher / Staker / Amnesia).

I think I have one "big" name title that I brought shortly after release, that was Civ V. And I only got because a fellow gaffer made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Good Old Games for awesome stuff like Jagged Alliance and Freespace 2. Will be buying a few more before the end of the year. (Planescape, Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale etc)

RustyO said:
744 voters and not a single vote :lol
I've got a couple of games from gamesplanet, but got those 3-4 years ago. metaboli are really bad at advertising that they've actually got the gamesplanet site. although I'm not sure people who subscribe to metaboli are really even interested in paying for single games, no idea. it's mainly popular in france, had some hype in the uk a couple of years ago but not sure it's very visible there anymore.

Asparagus

Steam and GoG for most stuff, picked up a few games on sale from D2D, Sins of a Solar Empire on sale from Impulse and took advantage of some price mismatches on the EA store.

STEAM!!!!!!!

And we're blessed that the owner has no need for cash. Steam is bloody close to an unstoppable force with Gabe's MS cash and VC cash should he ever hand over the reigns/try to cash out.

We've got a year or two of DD hammering stores... After that, who knows?

Chris R

Mostly Steam (95%), but I did buy a few games off D2D during their last big sale (as well as CivV because it was cheap with the deal they had prior to its launch and was a "steam" version of the game anyways) as well as a game or two off GoG for gifts for friends.

starsky

None. I don't like to be tied up.

I registered all my Blizzard games on their digital service though, dunno if that counts or not.

Kabouter

Steam (Lots), Impulse (Corporate Machine for like 80 cents plus last Sins of a Solar Empire mini-expansion), Gamersgate (A few point & click adventures)

Rufus

Konosuke said:
Steam only. Don't know any others and I'd imagine it would be a clusterfuck using various DDplatforms.
Nah, why would it be? You just need to be a little organized (instead of not at all), so as not to buy a game twice because it's on sale but you forgot that you already have it in your backlog on service X.

ampere

This year I have purchased Mass Effect 2 on Steam and Planescape Torment on GOG. I know I bought some Steam games during the holiday sale at the end of 2009 as well.

I've only ever used Steam, GOG, and Blizzard for PC digital game purchases.

Gassey

Banned
Purchasing direct from the developer should probably go up there in the options. I try and buy direct from the developers where I can. ie... "Machinarium".

Steam and Blizzard only for me. I bought a game from GoG and the customer service or should I say lack there of made Valve look like the greatest customer service and speedy service to boot. Yea, it was that bad.

Diebuster

Steam most of the time. I'll buy from the publisher if there's a good deal/screw-up at the time (like Ubisoft and $1 games) though.

I like having most of my games under one spot.

Ydahs

What's up with the poll results? More specifically, the percentages...

Anyway, Steam for me all the way. Simple and widely used in Australia. In fact, I personally don't know of anyone else using any other digital distribution service.

mclem

Steam, GoG and Telltale's store (Which I only remembered after entering the poll, so you might want to mentally +1 to 'other'). Technically I've used the EA store, too, for Bring Down The Sky and Pinnacle Station, but I didn't pick up any full games.

mclem

Ydahs said:
What's up with the poll results? More specifically, the percentages...

It's a multiple-choice poll, so the percentages reflect the number of responders who answered yes to that response. As such, they don't need to total 100.

I've used steam, good old games, impulse, and direct 2 drive. My least favorite is d2d easily, best is steam. Impulse is alright and gog is good but I just don't buy much from them.

kswiston

Had to go through my Gmail history for this.

Steam is by far my most used DD service. I have close to 200 games through them. The only reason I will use another DD service over steam is if the game is not available or if the sale is really good.

After Steam, GoG and D2D are my most used services. I have over a dozen games on each. GoG is probably my second favorite DD site. Tons of DD exclusives, great pricing, and a lot of bonus materials thrown into their releases. I use D2D mostly for the sales. Every once in awhile they will have a game not available on Steam (Sims 3, Neverwinter Nights 2). They are also better than Steam for offering discounts on Brand new titles because they will sometimes offer generic coupons (like 25% off 49.99 or more) that are applicable to many or all games on the service.

I also checked off Impulse and Gamersgate, although I rarely use either. I have around 5 games from each. On Impulse I have Dragon Age Origins and a bunch of Stardock titles. DA:O was purchased there because I had a coupon for 20% off at launch. However, I was really disappointed with how the launch was handled (no pre-download, and the game didn't even work at first. Had to find a replacement file buried in their forum). Probably won't buy new from there in the future. Some of their sales are alright, but typically they offer 20-50% off when other services routinely offer 33-80% off. Gamergate has a lot of DD exclusives, and I would like to support them more, but their download speeds are horrendous (at least they were last time I used the service about 10 months ago).

Finally I checked off the other category. I have used the EA store, Blizzard's store, Telltale games' store and a few other generic DD services in the past year. Typically for a single purchase.

Do you get access to more indepth data Evilore?

It'd be interesting to see how many people use Steam exclusively or whether most of those that make use of the other services use Steam as well.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
brain_stew said:
Do you get access to more indepth data Evilore?

It'd be interesting to see how many people use Steam exclusively or whether most of those that make use of the other services use Steam as well.

Naw, wysiwyg

Acosta

Steam, Impulse and GoG here. Steam is my main store with big difference, but I got a nice deal in Impulse for Majesty 2 and Space Rangers 2, so I got it (I use the service to play Stardock games anyway). About GoG, I have got like a dozen of games in last months, now I have my eye on Shadow Magic and TOEE.

Edit: Meh, I forgot I used Blizzard store this year to buy Diablo2's expansion, so that's four for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom