• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Simpsons season/episode should I start on?

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Now that they have all the seasons of The Simpsons ok Disney+, I thought I could introduce my kids to The Simpsons.

But where to start? I feel like the first season is a little too dated. But the newer episodes are awful. Which episode do you think I should start someone who knows nothing about the Simpsons?

Kagey K

Banned
I started with S1 E1 with my son and he enjoyed them fine. If you are that concerned about it being dated I’d start with Season 3 and if your kids are enjoying it you can go back to S1 and 2.

The great thing about the Simpsons is that in the early seasons there are no bad episodes so you are safe to start pretty much anywhere.

If you want to be safe, start with season 4 and then if they really like it, move back to season 3 and then forward from there. Eventually swing them back to at least season 2 though, else they'll be missing some good stuff.

Though depending on the age of your kids they might like season 1 and 2 just due to them being animated comedies. They're not bad seasons either, they're just different from what we've come to expect from the show.

Nymphae

Banned
The first few seasons aren't that bad, it's just more quaint, but it still tells some decent stories think. It's worth it to watch, particularly to understand how the show has changed over the years. I bought all of the available DVDs a few years ago, and I think I never made it past season 13.

I don't think it gets into undeniably classic status until maybe season 4, but there's a lot of good moments in the first 3 seasons. At ~20 min a pop, why the hell not.

Watch everything, otherwise you'll miss the introductions of characters. Easily the best comedy that's ever been on television.

Start at 2 (season one us badly animated and focuses more on morals) and stop at 10. Basically, when the simpsons drive acros the new york bridge and homer is pelted with medical waste, that's them driving away forever.

Not saying other episodes aren't funny, but those seasons are god tier writing.

DKehoe

"Troy of Lemon" is at this point my favorite episode ever. S6E24.

however i think the best season overall is season 4. Mr. Plow, Monorail, Last Exit to Springfield, Duffless, Wacking Day, so many classics.

Yeh 4 is probably the best place to start if you want to go with the prime Simpsons right away. You can always then come back around to the even earlier stuff which is good but is still finding its feet.

belmarduk

Season one is not so great. I would start with season two and its good up until about season ten. There are some really great episodes after that but they are kind of few and far between.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Though depending on the age of your kids they might like season 1 and 2 just due to them being animated comedies. They're not bad seasons either, they're just different from what we've come to expect from the show.
yeah the early seasons are really raw, not only do they look rougher, the emotions are that much more raw. this is one thing i remember from the early shows, they weren't afraid to pull some punches. Bart being upset about his homework or finding out he's not really smart or whatever, they showed him dealing with angst or depression in a pretty realistic way. i really related to that when i watched these as a kid. then again all the strong emotions do a lot of work in making the whole family feel like it really cares about each other.

also i remembered having friends whose parents wouldn't let them watch the show. does anyone else remember that? the show was dangerous for a long time, even called out by the then-President.

Last edited:
Season one is not so great. I would start with season two and its good up until about season ten. There are some really great episodes after that but they are kind of few and far between.

Is there a list of decent episodes past season 10? There has got to be at least 10 worthwhile episodes past season 10.

belmarduk

Is there a list of decent episodes past season 10? There has got to be at least 10 worthwhile episodes past season 10.

Well, that would be pretty subjective but my personal favorite episode is S13E16 - Weekend at Burnsie's.

The Treehouse of Horrors episodes are consistently good.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Season 3 to season 7 are the best seasons to me but 8 to 10 still definitely had some episodes I liked. There are even some good ones in the later seasons but harder to find. For example the fat Tony episode with his son Michael who wants to be a chef I thought was hilarious.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Do you want them to like The Simpsons because you like The Simpsons? I see no value in introducing children to that show. If you think there is some value in your children understanding popular culture with staying roots, then your best bet is to introduce them to The Wonder Years.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Watch seasons 1 through 8. Then watch all treehouse of terror episodes. Then stop because you're done.
My thoughts exactly, but I was going to say seasons 1-7.

Something odd happened to the show.

Season 1 was rough as it was one of Fox's first shows back in the late 80s. Still funny. They get a gimme for an honest attempt on a low budget.

Seasons 2-7 were hilarious.

I found season 8 totally different and unfunny. It's like something happened and maybe all the writers got fired or something. Tried to watch some episodes here and there of seasons 9 and 10 too to see if it got better. Never did to me. So I quit watching.

I dont know if the show ever got better in the past 20 seasons.

Last edited:

Doom85

Watch Seasons 1-10 in order.

However, if one of your kids does something bad and needs to be grounded, do the following during the grounding period: have them home as soon as school lets out. They finish their homework and eat dinner, and then until bedtime they are to watch Seasons 11 and onward in order. It won't take too long before the kid will never misbehave again.

Okay, that's an exaggeration, Seasons 11 and after aren't THAT terrible, just mediocre save for the occasional good episode, and it really just hurts seeing the show limp along in a period of mediocrity that has gone on for FAR longer than the actual solid era of the show.

Doom85

I found season 8 totally different and unfunny. It's like something happened and maybe all the writers got fired or something. Tried to watch some episodes here and there of seasons 9 and 10 too to see if it got better. Never did to me. So I quit watching.

Ah, that's a shame, I mean you do you, but while I do think 9 and 10 were a bit weaker (though still great), I think 8 is still on par with the previous seasons. I mean, personally the episode The Itchy, Scratchy and Poochie Show is my 2nd favorite episode after Cape Feare. Then you got the one where Homer meets Hank Scorpio, the one where Rodney Dangerfield guest stars, the one where Homer goes on a hallucination journey, the one with Mulder and Scully, the one where Homer and Mr. Burns are stranded on a mountain, the one with Mr. Sparkle, and of course the one with Frank Grimes. Just plenty of great episodes and moments in my book.

Dark Star

Seasons 1-7 are classics. Watch those.

Everything after 7 is a huge dip in quality because many of the original writing staff quit and left the studio by then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom