• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which video games made you discover, or become fan of music artists or even genres?

I already knew Oribtal's classic called Chime, but I wasn't into a lot of electronic music at the time. Wipeout's inclusion of their P.E.T.R.O.L. made me want to seek out more of their stuff... The Chemical Brothers would become a favorite later on.

5fejnTQ.png

Discovered the great electronic band Fluke through Wipeout 2097, alongside the then-Drum & Bass artist Photek. Was already a fan of The Prodigy at that point in time.

YuwHkBO.png

Most recent example I can mention was exploring the stuff by Solar Fields after playing through Mirror's Edge.

tJmeNbB.png

What did you discover, become fan of? Bet lots of young people became fan of 80s music after playing Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

zenspider

I probably owe my enjoyment of electronic music to games, and nowadays a lot of 70's rock and 80's New Wave that influenced the blerp-bloops I adore.

Most of the classical and world music from JRPGs I enjoy stays in the world of games, and as much as I enjoy it, I need some context from gaming for it to really move me.

Naked Lunch

I would say videogames in general, particularly of the 80's and 90's, instilled a love of electronic music in me. Leading to the holy trinity of Aphex, Boards of Canada, and Autechre and everything else stemming from there - including creating my own electronic compositions.

GreyHorace

Mass Effect introduced me to Faunts and their brilliant song for the end credits, M4 Part 2.

GTA 5 gave me Twin Shadow and his song Old Love New Love.

And while she didn't produce music for the game, I adore Malukah and her Skyrim covers.

The most famous example though, has to be Christpher Tin, with the song Baba Yetu for Civilization 4.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I could sing along at a Silent Hill concert. That’s about as much as I listen to the OST’s. I love listening to Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.

I remember booting up BioMetal on SNES and thought the BMG was Sandstorm. I remember always searching for techno songs that sounded like Sandstorm. I’d sit there listening to that BMG for days on end. It probably wasn’t Derude either. Lol

I definitely have an ear open for orchestrated music because of Final Fantasy and Chrono Cross. Dark Souls has gotten me into classical music. Every song reminds me of a boss fight or a distant fantasy world.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All I know is the best video game tunes I remember always come from Konami (Contra, Castelvania, Axelay) or Streets of Rage 1 and 2.

Poordevil

Playing the MMO Age of Conan got me into the Robert E Howard short stories. Also Frank Frazetta's art work was brought to my attention. Before AoC the only exposure to Conan I had were the Schwarzenegger movies. Reading the Howard stories really broadened the game's appeal for me. The game was actually very careful to be faithful to the source material.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Alan Wake introduced me to Poets of the Fall, which is now my favorite band, and music artist(s) in general. So that's quite an exceptional discovery, really.

Poordevil

Ah... I misread the thread title as music, artists or genres. But Age of Conan also had an award winning musical score. The music in the game was really pretty good. Good enough that I researched to see who was responsible. Composer Kunt Haugen won an award for best song in a video game for his music in Age of Conan, and there was this woman I never heard of before, Helene Boksle, who was belting out these haunting songs. There was some great music in that game.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
From recent years:
Hotline Miami opened me up to artists like M|O|O|N and Pertubator.
Forza Horizon allowed me to discover Nero.
Generally speaking I've opened up to a lot more of electronic music.

Final Fantasy VII and Sequels made me a late fan of Nobuo Uematsu... Damn, every now and then the full FFVII soundtrack lands on my to go playlist!
The free Giveaway of the Soundtrack of Assassin's Creed Syndicate made me aware of Jesper Kyd and his past and ongoing work (especially on the Batman animated Series).
Although, I only really listen to his TLOU-Soundtrack, I really love the weird music writing (there was a mini documentary about it) of Gustavo Santaolalla.

So yeah, orchestral/classical music (not counting Santaolalla) got me a lot more hooked through those guys.

Deft Beck

I got a lot of my pop taste from Lumines I and II.

I got into Japanese hardcore music through the BEMANI series of games.

Paasei

The Fallout series made me fan of 50s - 60s music. Eventhough I usually tend to listen to all kinds of metal music, this is a genre that I started to really enjoy that is very far from the metal I listen to.

Pantz

Gold Member
Not too many. I had older brothers and sisters and friends all very into music so I didn't discover too many things through games. Most stuff from games I would hear on the radio or see on MTV when they used to actually play music.

Return Fire - learning how exhilarating it is playing any kind of war game while listening to the classical music included with the game like Ride of the Valkyries and In the Hall of the Mountain King.
Twisted Metal Black - Paint it Black. Seems like it was part of a movie trailer at the time too. Hard to avoid getting into both versions of the song.
Guitar Hero 3 - For Dragonforce! I never actually owned the game but I saw them do a performance on Attack of the Show! and they became my favorite band.
Tropico Series - I can stomach Salsa music now.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Two recent ones (that seem to be pretty common) are Hotline Miami and Hohokum. I love instrumental music and both of these games had a lot of bands I'd never heard of.

A third would be DJ Hero, not only for the songs themselves but also for the mix artists who assisted FreeStyleGames.

lock2k

Banned
Alan Wake introduced me to Poets of the Fall, which is now my favorite band, and music artist(s) in general. So that's quite an exceptional discovery, really.

Poets came up to me as a Spotify suggestion. Damn, what a GREAT band.

They sound INCREDIBLE live.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
GTA: San Andreas introduced me to a lot of deep cuts. also some songs by bands i already liked that i hadn't gotten into yet. "Somebody Up There Likes Me" by David Bowie is so dope. "Eminence Front" by the Who is so dope. two songs i kind of ignored before for some reason.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

The original Project Diva on PSP got me into Vocaloid. Combining that with my already established love for Electronic music the natural next step was ovbiously going to be electronic voices. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
Road Rash series introduced me to SEVERAL great bands:

Celldweller, Paw, Big Wreck, The Tea Party, Sugar Ray (before they turned to shit), Pushmonkey, Blacklight Posterboys, Chevelle, Swervedriver, Monster Magnet.

I was always a big rock'n'roll and metal fan and these games made me discover several new bands at the time. Fucking awesome.

Garnox

I’d definitely say Final Fantasy got me into “classical”/orchestral music.

Skateboard games definitely got me into punk rock music. Goldfinger - Superman is tops.

I was already into EDM, but that’s one of the reasons why I looooove Rocket League. It pairs so well.

Stimpak

Playing DDR a lot as a kid got me into robot music genre.

I’m a huge fan of Jack Wall’s work on Mass Effect and Jade Empire.

Surprised no one has mentioned Mick Gordon yet for Killer Instinct and Doom. Where my metal heads at?!

Also, great thread OP. Made my morning.

Also, edited because I sinned and forgot about the entire Witcher 3 OST. Can brush teeth to any track.

Last edited:
Tony Hawk is pretty important for music introduction.

SSX I would also attribute as being very influential for helping build the basis of my skiing soundtrack.

I've heard Fifa has good soundtracks?

Whitesnake

Banned
GTA games are where I heard quite a bit of music for the first time.

The radio stations in newer Fallout games get me hooked on old music, especially New Vegas. I love me some Big Iron.

WWE 2K15 was a shit game, but it was the first place I heard Mystery Skulls.

Honorable mentions to Tony Hawk Pro Skater.

Top Bottom