• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Wii U first party game would you like to see ported to Switch?

Which Wii U first party game would you want on Switch?

• Total voters

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ploughing through my Switch library, I started thinking, “which games could I still want over from the Wii U?”

In decided to take Gamatsu’s excellent list of Wii U exclusives as basis for a long list of games that could still come over. Then I started crossing off games.

Already ported

First, I crossed off the ports that have already been done. A surprisingly big chunk of Wii U first party catalog is already playable on Switch!

Bayonetta (Nintendo)
Bayonetta 2 (Nintendo)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Nintendo)
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Nintendo)
Hyrule Warriors (Nintendo)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)
LEGO City: Undercover (Nintendo)
Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo)
New Super Luigi U (Nintendo)
New Super Mario Bros. U (Nintendo)
Pokken Tournament (Nintendo)

Already has a sequel for Switch

Then I crossed out games that have a recent newer instalment on the Switch, as precedent shows these are unlikely to be ported. And yes, I’d love Xenoblade Chronicles X too.

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival (Nintendo)
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (Nintendo)
Mario Party 10 (Nintendo)
Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash (Nintendo)
Splatoon (Nintendo)
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Nintendo)
Xenoblade Chronicles X (Nintendo)
Yoshi’s Woolly World (Nintendo)

Not ported, possible touch controls issue

Then I crossed out games that would require a substantial amount of reworking to work on Switch, if at all. Aside of Super Mario Maker, it’s hard to imagine any of these could make it over.

Game & Wario (Nintendo)
Nintendo Land (Nintendo)
Star Fox Guard (Nintendo)
Star Fox Zero (Nintendo)
Super Mario Maker (Nintendo)
Wii Fit U (Nintendo)
Wii Party U (Nintendo)
Wii Sports Club (Nintendo)

Not ported, not relevant anymore

Finally, I removed a couple of titles that have no relevance anymore.

Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Nintendo)
Sing Party (Nintendo)

Not ported

With that, we are left with a *very small list* of original, Nintendo published, high quality first party Wii U games that could easily be brought over to Switch. Wonderful 101 being an anomaly, but given the hinting they’ve done, I think it’s conceivable.

Devil’s Third (Nintendo)
Paper Mario: Color Splash (Nintendo)
Pikmin 3 (Nintendo)
Project Zero / Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
Super Mario 3D World (Nintendo)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (Nintendo)
Ultimate NES Remix Pack (Nintendo)
The Wonderful 101 (Nintendo)

So there you have it GAF, just seven more original first party Wii U games that could easily come on Switch.

Which one would you like to see most?

Edit: added Super Mario Maker and Project Zero / Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water to the poll

Last edited:

Raph64

Basically all the good exclusives :

Wonderful 101
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Pikmin 3 ( PLEASE )
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Maker ( or just make a sequel to it, and don’t worry regarding touch control issues, that can easily be overcome with a stylus offered with the game )

Last edited:

CoolZombie

Neo Member
I’d really like to see Pikmin 3 come over. Loved that game, would be great to be able to play on the go.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
None. Make new games. Best game on Wii U is Pikmin 3 though.

Cattlyst

Super Mario 3D World is a game I've heard great things about, but never played. I think a port of that would finally tempt me to get a Switch. That and the rumoured Metroid Prime Trilogy collection. And while we're in 'dreaming' mode, a new Wave Race and/or F-Zero.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
My head says Super Mario 3D World. Packed with content, great controls, timeless graphics.

But my heart says W101, so that's how I voted.

Akuza89

Super Mario maker.

You can solve the touch pad stuff easily by just using the controller in general in docked mode and using the switch's touch screen in handheld mode.

That's the only game I want from Wii u now.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Chittagong Chittagong any reason why Metroid Prime is left out? Its bc Retro Studios isn't first party? Same for Zombi U?

Because those would be my picks.

db1416

Super Mario maker.

You can solve the touch pad stuff easily by just using the controller in general in docked mode and using the switch's touch screen in handheld mode.

That's the only game I want from Wii u now.
I second this. If this got ported to the Switch it’d be beyond huge. We think YouTube exploded with Mario Maker content back then? Holy hell just you WAIT till it comes to Switch.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Xenoblade Chronicles X is the one and only port I've been holding out for. Bah, at least I own a Wii U now. No need for a port anymore.

Vawn

Banned
Whichever 5-7 year-old game you port next, just make sure it is more expensive than it was originally. As a Switch owner, that's how I know I'm getting a good value.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Chittagong Chittagong any reason why Metroid Prime is left out? Its bc Retro Studios isn't first party? Same for Zombi U?

Because those would be my picks.

Zombi U wasn’t a first party game, it was Ubisoft, and got eventually ported to other consoles.

I omitted Wii U remakes (Wind Waker, Twilight Princess) because Nintendo tends to keep re-releasing stuff anyway. However Metroid Prime Trilogy didn’t exist as a native Wii U game unless I’m mistaken.

Personally I think some Metroid port is a lock now with the MP4 restart. Either Trilogy or Samus Returns I think.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I’ve added Super Mario Maker to the poll. Seems I overestimated the control hurdle, given that The Wonderful 101 is included.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Zombi U wasn’t a first party game, it was Ubisoft, and got eventually ported to other consoles.

I omitted Wii U remakes (Wind Waker, Twilight Princess) because Nintendo tends to keep re-releasing stuff anyway. However Metroid Prime Trilogy didn’t exist as a native Wii U game unless I’m mistaken.

Personally I think some Metroid port is a lock now with the MP4 restart. Either Trilogy or Samus Returns I think.
I still would want a Switch release regardless since Zombi U is too good of a game to leave hanging.

Trilogy was a Wii U eShop release.

Ogbert

I absolutely love my Wii U. About seven or eight stone cold classics on there. In some ways, I prefer it to my Switch, which lately has turned into a garbage Steam shop.

3D World for me.

Chittagong

Gold Member
After some research, added also Project Zero: Maiden of the Black Water, as it was a first party release in many regions.

Mr Hyde

Since I haven´t bothered with Nintendo during the whole Wii-era, I´d say they can port every game there is on both of those systems. But from Wii U, I would say Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World and Xenoblade Chronicles X would be the most interesting ones to bring over to the Switch for me.

It truly is the normie pick, but I went with Super Mario 3D World. That game is so amazing and weirdly underrated. While a port is probably the most we could expect, I wouldn't mind a true sequel.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
What about Kirby Rainbow Curse? Will that be forever locked to its hardware, just like its DS predecessor?

Also, what are thoughts on Paper Mario: Color Splash? My son played it for a while but I never started a save file, myself. The "realistic" art style is definitely eye-popping, probably moreso than Yoshi's Wooly World, even.

It truly is the normie pick, but I went with Super Mario 3D World. That game is so amazing and weirdly underrated. While a port is probably the most we could expect, I wouldn't mind a true sequel.
Best 3D Mario, in my opinion. I think a lot of people soured on the 8-way movement, but I think it's one of the games strengths. Navigating 3D has always been a bit slippery when it comes to precise jumps, and 3D World simplified it in a necessary way. Don't get me wrong, I think the crazy-nuanced movement set in games like SM64, Odyssey, Galaxy, and Sunshine are all great, but 3D World was some much-needed simplicity. If you play Mario for its variety, 3D World is also probably the best pick there, surpassing even Galaxy 2's suite of levels.

Last edited:
I voted Super Mario 3D World, but Mario Maker is also a no-brainer and I never got to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions so I'd like to see that too.

EDIT: Also bring over the HD versions of Windwaker and Twilight Princess. I didn't get to finish either of them :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Fbh

Wonderful 101 of course. The game is flawed yet so fucking good and while it was never going to be a megaseller I do think if it was given a second chance on a well selling and popular console it could find an audience. Though I think it would do better releasing at $40 or $30 but that's nightmare fuel for Nintendo.

cireza

Banned
Xeno X is very different from Xeno 2. This one would be great, but pretty sure that it was already announced as very unlikely/too difficult for technical reasons.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions of course, still the best game Atlus made in my humble opinion, with Catherine.

Wonderful 101 could see some nice improvements too in a re-release. Why not restore the original art-style ? That would be awesome.

Also, it is not first party, but I would love to have Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge and Sonic Lost World as well.

I'd rather see new games made for the Switch
Retro Studios got you covered. See you in 4 years to play a brand new Metroid Prime game.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Initially it was an easy choice of Tokyo Mirage Sessions for me, as a big Persona fan I always wanted to give it a go. Switch is amazing for playing RPGs. But Super Mario Maker and Project Zero / Fatal Frame: Maiden of Dark Water would be very tempting too.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Wonderful 101 of course. The game is flawed yet so fucking good and while it was never going to be a megaseller I do think if it was given a second chance on a well selling and popular console it could find an audience. Though I think it would do better releasing at $40 or $30 but that's nightmare fuel for Nintendo.
Nintendo cares so little about the game, I can see them launching it at that price.

The real question is whether or not there will be refinements. Less-complicated menu system? It was always a slog to search through things, but I loved the depth of the menus and all the content tucked away in there (with full enemy bios, a "model viewer" for your heroes, move explanations, etc). Maybe give Unite Guts as a pre-installed ability instead of making someone buy the game's blocking ability? I also wouldn't mind additional content but I think that rests solely on Kamiya's own ego: he really seemed to love this game and perhaps he'd like a second shot at popularizing it.

Platinum added Nintendo-specific stuff to the first Bayonetta, did they not?

Last edited:

sn0man

So very much agree. I bought a WiiU but Nintendo is to some extent reasonably trying to make money from titles that never sold enough for them due to previous console failure.

I came in to say “make new stuff” for the same reason as you but then I saw the NES Remix and got excited even though I already own it. Maybe a sequel or a game and watch game would be better.

Super Mario 3D World is a game I've heard great things about, but never played. I think a port of that would finally tempt me to get a Switch. That and the rumoured Metroid Prime Trilogy collection. And while we're in 'dreaming' mode, a new Wave Race and/or F-Zero.

Yeah I would rather a wave race or f-zero personally.

A sequel would be great! My wife and I played through 3D world and loved it. Imagine a 2-player tabletop mode for those plane rides and new fun levels and ... dog suites!!!!! Each character could be a different dog breed!

Xeno X is very different from Xeno 2. This one would be great, but pretty sure that it was already announced as very unlikely/too difficult for technical reasons.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions of course, still the best game Atlus made in my humble opinion, with Catherine.

Wonderful 101 could see some nice improvements too in a re-release. Why not restore the original art-style ? That would be awesome.

Also, it is not first party, but I would love to have Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge and Sonic Lost World as well.

Retro Studios got you covered. See you in 4 years to play a brand new Metroid Prime game.
I heard NG3 was pretty meh. Did RE add some cool stuff or tweak the balance?

The Shepard

I chose Mario 3d World as I never played it and it always looked good to me. I also want the wind waker HD remaster as I'd love to play that again, one of my fave zeldas.

cireza

Banned
I heard NG3 was pretty meh. Did RE add some cool stuff or tweak the balance?
It's awesome, I love it :) Never played the first NG3, but RE is great fun. Very hard, very rewarding. Many characters, you also have a number of challenges. Many weapons too. Secret bosses hidden in all stages. This game is over the top, the action is insane, and you don't have invincibility frames or slowing down time. It is pure action.

Last edited:

zenspider

In lieu of Xenoblade Chronicles X not being in the poll - which did not get a sequel on Switch technically or spiritually - I chose Devil's Third.

I know, I know. But 1) copies are super expensive 2) the multiplayer was great fun (if you could find a match) and I'd like to see the F2P model come to consoles. 3) I think the Switch library and Nintendo's output is strong enough, plus the simple fact we know what we're getting is enough to soften the insane scrutiny this title recieved the first time around.

With the right price point and context, Devil's Third is a genuinely fun game with some novel ideas. It's the closest to an arcade style TPS/FPS I've played since StarFox Assault - another game I think takes way more flak than is warranted taken on its actual merits.

Fbh

Nintendo cares so little about the game, I can see them launching it at that price.

The real question is whether or not there will be refinements. Less-complicated menu system? It was always a slog to search through things, but I loved the depth of the menus and all the content tucked away in there (with full enemy bios, a "model viewer" for your heroes, move explanations, etc). Maybe give Unite Guts as a pre-installed ability instead of making someone buy the game's blocking ability? I also wouldn't mind additional content but I think that rests solely on Kamiya's own ego: he really seemed to love this game and perhaps he'd like a second shot at popularizing it.

Platinum added Nintendo-specific stuff to the first Bayonetta, did they not?

Yeah Unite Guts needs to be pre installed and I think in general the game could have done a better job explaining itself. They'd also need to rework the short sections where you had to use the gamepad but that shouldn't be too hard.
IMO they could also slightly tweak the camera. Always felt like it was a bit too zoomed out during combat and too zoomed in outside of combat

As for the price. Maybe you are right but I think they'd probably still want to release it at full price just to not set a precedent of reasonably priced ports

Whichever 5-7 year-old game you port next, just make sure it is more expensive than it was originally. As a Switch owner, that's how I know I'm getting a good value.

Hey... they might slightly increase the resolution and if you are very lucky they might add an easy mode or something.
That's SO MUCH VALUE that they should be looking into selling them for $70

Last edited:
Best 3D Mario, in my opinion. I think a lot of people soured on the 8-way movement, but I think it's one of the games strengths. Navigating 3D has always been a bit slippery when it comes to precise jumps, and 3D World simplified it in a necessary way. Don't get me wrong, I think the crazy-nuanced movement set in games like SM64, Odyssey, Galaxy, and Sunshine are all great, but 3D World was some much-needed simplicity. If you play Mario for its variety, 3D World is also probably the best pick there, surpassing even Galaxy 2's suite of levels.

I like Galaxy a bit more than 3D World, but it's definitely up there as my favorite as well. The creativity level to level is just insane and the game is such a great time. I don't remember a single level feeling anything less than stellar. I think it got underrated because it released on a dead console and because people really wanted an exploration based game. Now that we have Odyssey, 3D World 2 would just terrific when you also consider how much of a jump World is in relation to 3D Land. I don't think they explored the full potential of the 8-way, towards the flag style.

Ivellios

Agreed, i came to post this.

I want new games on the system, i did not buy a Switch to play remastered versions of Wii U games or older consoles.

That being said i would really like a remaster of Metroid Prime Trilogy though.

ISubZBR

Star fox Zero.

This game is amazing. So good than 64 version. Gyro controls is weird, but when you learn how to play, this game turns real fun.

Super Mario 3d world is really good too, but I have played so much...

Top Bottom