• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Xbox console did Microsoft do best with regarding their first-party ip output?

Xbox console with the best Microsoft first-party ip output?

• Xbox

Votes: 71 24.6%
  • Xbox 360

Votes: 211 73.0%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 7 2.4%

• Total voters
With the Xbox One being replaced by the Series X I think it's time to review how well Microsoft have managed their first party ips for all 3 of their recent consoles over the last 20 years. I'm only including major first party ip console releases developed by MS studios or a third party, not including digital titles. Of course, also not counting games that are on competing consoles like Minecraft. (Gears would not count for the 360 since it was brought the Xbox One Generation. Bethesda/Zenimax games of course won't count, those will apply to the Series X generation that just started)

Xbox
b4DWA6I.jpeg

Xbox 360

hkzR8I9.jpeg

Xbox One
T8OKQxA.png

Mention any overlooked Microsoft owned console title in the thread.
Imo, the Xbox One may actually be just as good if not better than the 360 looking at it from a strictly Microsoft ip perspective. I do give the edge to the first Xbox though, more experimental and more great titles. I will say thought that PGR3 and PGR4 still look great even now.

Looking at these screenshots which console do you think MS did the best job with first party wise?

SCB3

I mean kinda cheating with Halo there and Ori is also on switch

But yea Xbox 360 was the best days of Xbox, but this focus on BC has made them my favourite console this gen

But yea Xbox 360 was the best days of Xbox, but this focus on BC has made them my favourite console this gen
Ori wasn't on the Switch initially.

Also Halo isn't on any competing console. ???

GHG

Gold Member
360 easily. Some of my favourite games of all time.

Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Gears of War 1 & 2 (why are these not listed)
PGR3 & 4
Forza Horizon
Forza 2-4
Kameo

With the exception of Ori (if the Xbox 360 Gears titles aren't listed then why is this?) and the Forza Horizon games the Xbox One list is an abomination.

With the exception of Ori (if the Xbox 360 Gears titles aren't listed then why is this?) and the Forza Horizon games the Xbox One list is an abomination.
Microsoft didn't own Gears IP during the 360 generation so it wouldn't make much sense to include that when reviewing how Microsoft handled their first party then. Gears wasn't owned until post Xbox One. If buyout was in the same generation maybe but that's not the case. We are looking at each generation on its own and determining which Xbox console did Microsoft do the best job with FP output.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
This thread really reminds me how shitty most game covers are. Jeez that’s a big pile of shit.

and wtf was that “NUDE” game on the xbox?

GHG

Gold Member
Microsoft didn't own Gears IP during the 360 generation so it wouldn't make much sense to include that when reviewing how Microsoft handled their first party then. Gears wasn't owned until post Xbox One. If it was in the same generation maybe but that's not the case.

Fair enough.

I'm including gears in my personal list for the 360 since it was the first game I got for the console.

Indyblue

360. They were great right up until the Kinect and then Xbox just fell to shit for years. Hopefully they are back now.

Reactions: GHG

SCB3

Ori wasn't on the Switch initially.

Also Halo isn't on any competing console. ???
You can't change the goalposts like that and ask what is the best Exclusive Line up? Cause Ori or Super Luckys Tale are not exclusive to Xbox

As for Halo, I meant you included all the Xbox and 360 releases and then the MCC, was a little dig at that

Not really they still own those IP even if it shows up on another platform it is still their 1st party IP like example Minecraft and btw where is minecraft it should be included.

Last edited:

mejin

Almost 20 years in the market and most of the time their output was underwhelming.

But dat first 3 years of 360 were awesome.

You can't change the goalposts like that and ask what is the best Exclusive Line up? Cause Ori or Super Luckys Tale are not exclusive to Xbox

I didn't change the goal posts, we are looking at the generations as they were for each Xbox console.. I also never listed Super Luckys tale and don't know why you brought that up. The thread is straight forward no need to reexplain after this.

Last edited:

Goalus

Gears, Forza Horizon, Ori - the holy trinity.

For me it's easily the XB1 because I can play a lot of the important 360 games on it too.
For example, I played Blue Dragon for the first time in 2017 on my XB1, and it was glorious.

• Triggered
Reactions: GHG
I guess 360 since it has Lost Odyssey. I love Ori too, but since those games are also on Switch and PC, it's difficult to count them.

Last edited:
They've always delivered, except for when they stopped investing on Xbox One, and we had that terrible drought.

For me it's 360 cause of Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.

Last edited:
Xbox Ones llineup likely outsold the other two. There's a reason why they consolidated. People can force themselves to think that the 360 or OR are good if they want but drm stuff aside MS has never been more successful first party wise than the Xbox One.

Quantum Break was below expectations but likely sold more than all the 360 jrpges on that list with some to spare. People want Halo, they want Killer Instinct, they want QB, they want Gears, they want both Forzas, they want State of Decay, they want bleeding edge, they want Sea of thrives.

Guess what? These are the same games you're getting this new gen plus the games from the new studios. Xbox One is the platform that the Series X is launching off of.

The 10 people that want Blinx, Lips, Kameo or Lost Odyssey are irrelevant.

ZoukGalaxy

There is no contest, XBOX 360 is far ahead and is one of my favorite console EVER.
Nowadays, and since the Xbox One fiasco, I just hate the Xbox Brand. They totally lost me and I'm not anymore the public they are targeting I guess.

Zannegan

For me, it's not even a question. Halo 3 (multiplayer), Crackdown, and Banjo-Kazooie: N&B are three of my favorite contemporary gaming experiences of all time.

Last edited:
Original Xbox all day. Just by the numbers they had fighters, racers, rpgs, shooters, and adventure games. The games weren't amazing but many of them like Crimson Skies and Mechassault are classics. Let's not forget to mention Halo 1 and 2. I miss those days.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Halo was obviously the biggest one and that was mainly on OG Xbox and the 360. And now we know it was 100% bungie that made Halo good (was never a huge fan myself). The difference between MS and Sony is Sony only got better and better with their first parties and MS stayed the same, probably even got worse.

SaucyJack

Indeed. Ori is neither first party nor exclusive and I guess OP is including third party exclusives like Quantum Break then there’s a few others that should count too

But yeah Xbox 360 by a country mile.

Halo was obviously the biggest one and that was mainly on OG Xbox and the 360. And now we know it was 100% bungie that made Halo good (was never a huge fan myself). The difference between MS and Sony is Sony only got better and better with their first parties and MS stayed the same, probably even got worse.
MS shed internal studios and shifted the consoles' focus from games to media consumption and video calling. Sony added development teams and focused on making quality cinematic games. We all know how that turned out when we are talking about games. Now MS is focused on games again we'll see what they come up with.

Last edited:

Mabdia

There is only one right way to vote to this. x360 was a beast. Never have one but come on! Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Dead or Alive 4, Tales of Vesperia, Eternal Sonata (exclusive for a year). That alone almost make me jump in to Microsoft's console.

Markio128

OG Xbox for me. I loved the console design (it was big and brash, just how I like my consoles) and the stupidly big controller. Not to mention the fact that MS released the console with a whopper of an exclusive, in Halo. As a fan of arcade racers, PGR and Rallysport challenge were also great games. There were some cool single player games in general. MS have never matched it in my opinion. From 360 onwards, MS seemed to focus too much on online focused games, which didn’t suit my tastes.

Excess

Gotta give this to the OG Xbox. While the 360 is probably the most beloved one, the OG's 1st party titles and exclusives gave people a reason to purchase the Xbox. Those two are Halo and Fable.

MrS

Banned
360 was pretty great. Dunno about this. The 1-2 punch of Project Gotham and Halo was unreal too.

Last edited:

Unk Adams

Banned
Those Microsoft sports games take me back. I miss when we had competition with sports games. Me and my buddies would play NFL Fever and NBA Inside Drive every weekend and we honestly preferred them to Madden, NBA Live, and the 2K games. The Project Gotham and Mechassault games were also amazing, especially online. However, there's too many legitimately bad games that they released on the original Xbox such as Kakuto Chojin, Blinx, Sneakers, Azurik, Nightcaster, etc. compared to the 360 so I would say their second console had the best lineup.

Have not played most of the OG Xbox titles, so it's easily 360 for me. First Gears blew my mind, then Halo 3 and Reach was really really good, I spent thousands of hours on their MP, played their campaigns maybe a dozen of times.

Forza 4 is still the pinnacle of simcade racing games for me. PGR4 offered beautiful graphics with a lot of different setups. Fable 3 was not as good as previous entries but still was a good game. Alan Wake was also a great title.

Xbox 360 also is the console that I loved the most. Had a FAT Arcade pack without an HDD, I remember how loud it was with disks turning like crazy, making a lot of noise.

Xbox Live was great, I was feeling really good being able to party chat with a couple of friends, even more so as I bought 360 after PS3, PS3's PSN was the worst shit ever, occasional maintenances and failures, I even remember PSN going down for weeks after a hacking or some other stuff happened. 360 was the golden age of Xbox, Xbox Live and 360 gamepad was miles ahead of Playstation's. First party support was also okay during that generation.

Now Xbox brand is just struggling against Playstation, lacking the most important stuff, quality games. Xbox One was the worst console ever, I'm glad to see that they are taking the right steps with Series X.

Those Microsoft sports games take me back. I miss when we had competition with sports games. Me and my buddies would play NFL Fever and NBA Inside Drive every weekend and we honestly preferred them to Madden, NBA Live, and the 2K games. The Project Gotham and Mechassault games were also amazing, especially online. However, there's too many legitimately bad games that they released on the original Xbox such as Kakuto Chojin, Blinx, Sneakers, Azurik, Nightcaster, etc. compared to the 360 so I would say their second console had the best lineup.
There was a time when Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony had tried to compete in sports games, whether arcade or simulation. Now it's very barren.

As for the rest of your post I don't know, I don't think Night Caster or Blinx were bad, just maybe one off experimental titles that should not have had sequels.

Unk Adams

Banned
There was a time when Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony had tried to compete in sports games, whether arcade or simulation. Now it's very barren.

As for the rest of your post I don't know, I don't think Night Caster or Blinx were bad, just maybe one off experimental titles that should not have had sequels.

On one hand it was cool that they actually experimented with original ideas on the original Xbox. The results weren't very good in most cases, though. Their "generic" games (FPS, sports games, racing, online, etc.) were actually great while the unique games looked interesting but were terrible games to actually play.

Now, it's been years since I've actually played Blinx 1 and 2 but I remember both of them being infuriating to actually play for different reasons. The first game had an annoying timer that made it frustrating and the second game was too easy with annoying tutorials every few minutes which interrupted the game constantly. I actually liked the atmosphere of both games. The gameplay itself was the problem.

Top Bottom