• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whistleblower: The NSA is Lying–U.S. Government Has Copies of Most of Your Emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farooq

Banned
http://www.democracynow.org/2012/4/20/whistleblower_the_nsa_is_lying_us

It is a video.

Description:
National Security Agency whistleblower William Binney reveals he believes domestic surveillance has become more expansive under President Obama than President George W. Bush. He estimates the NSA has assembled 20 trillion "transactions" — phone calls, emails and other forms of data — from Americans. This likely includes copies of almost all of the emails sent and received from most people living in the United States. Binney talks about Section 215 of the USA PATRIOT Act and challenges NSA Director Keith Alexander’s assertion that the NSA is not intercepting information about U.S. citizens.

There are four parts, I linked the 3rd part, if you would like to view all the parts in sequential order the links are provided.

Description of the first part of the video :
In his first television interview since he resigned from the National Security Agency over its domestic surveillance program, William Binney discusses the NSA’s massive power to spy on Americans and why the FBI raided his home after he became a whistleblower. Binney was a key source for investigative journalist James Bamford’s recent exposé in Wired Magazine about how the NSA is quietly building the largest spy center in the country in Bluffdale, Utah. The Utah spy center will contain near-bottomless databases to store all forms of communication collected by the agency, including private emails, cell phone calls, Google searches and other personal data.

To give more background to Binney's story, here is a NewYorker article concerning Thomas Drake's (former senior executive at the NSA) trial.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/05/23/110523fa_fact_mayer?currentPage=all

I will quote excerpts from that article :

On June 13th, a fifty-four-year-old former government employee named Thomas Drake is scheduled to appear in a courtroom in Baltimore, where he will face some of the gravest charges that can be brought against an American citizen. A former senior executive at the National Security Agency, the government’s electronic-espionage service, he is accused, in essence, of being an enemy of the state. According to a ten-count indictment delivered against him in April, 2010, Drake violated the Espionage Act...

In 2007, the indictment says, Drake willfully retained top-secret defense documents that he had sworn an oath to protect, sneaking them out of the intelligence agency’s headquarters, at Fort Meade, Maryland, and taking them home, for the purpose of “unauthorized disclosure.” The aim of this scheme, the indictment says, was to leak government secrets to an unnamed newspaper reporter, who is identifiable as Siobhan Gorman, of the Baltimore Sun. Gorman wrote a prize-winning series of articles for the Sun about financial waste, bureaucratic dysfunction, and dubious legal practices in N.S.A. counterterrorism programs. Drake is also charged with obstructing justice and lying to federal law-enforcement agents. If he is convicted on all counts, he could receive a prison term of thirty-five years.

As Drake tells it, his problems began on September 11, 2001. “The next seven weeks were crucial,” he said. “It’s foundational to why I am a criminal defendant today.”
The morning that Al Qaeda attacked the U.S. was, coincidentally, Drake’s first full day of work as a civilian employee at the N.S.A.—an agency that James Bamford, the author of “The Shadow Factory” (2008), calls “the largest, most costly, and most technologically sophisticated spy organization the world has ever known.” Drake, a linguist and a computer expert with a background in military crypto-electronics, had worked for twelve years as an outside contractor at the N.S.A. Under a program code-named Jackpot, he focussed on finding and fixing weaknesses in the agency’s software programs. But, after going through interviews and background checks, he began working full time for Maureen Baginski, the chief of the Signals Intelligence Directorate at the N.S.A., and the agency’s third-highest-ranking official.

Drake, hoping to help fight back against Al Qaeda, immediately thought of a tantalizing secret project he had come across while working on Jackpot. Code-named ThinThread, it had been developed by technological wizards in a kind of Skunk Works on the N.S.A. campus. Formally, the project was supervised by the agency’s Signals Intelligence Automation Research Center, or SARC.
While most of the N.S.A. was reeling on September 11th, inside SARC the horror unfolded “almost like an ‘I-told-you-so’ moment,” according to J. Kirk Wiebe, an intelligence analyst who worked there. “We knew we weren’t keeping up.” SARC was led by a crypto-mathematician named Bill Binney, whom Wiebe describes as “one of the best analysts in history.” Binney and a team of some twenty others believed that they had pinpointed the N.S.A.’s biggest problem—data overload—and then solved it. But the agency’s management hadn’t agreed.

Binney expressed terrible remorse over the way some of his algorithms were used after 9/11. ThinThread, the “little program” that he invented to track enemies outside the U.S., “got twisted,” and was used for both foreign and domestic spying: “I should apologize to the American people. It’s violated everyone’s rights. It can be used to eavesdrop on the whole world.” According to Binney, Drake took his side against the N.S.A.’s management and, as a result, became a political target within the agency.

As Binney imagined it, ThinThread would correlate data from financial transactions, travel records, Web searches, G.P.S. equipment, and any other “attributes” that an analyst might find useful in pinpointing “the bad guys.” By 2000, Binney, using fibre optics, had set up a computer network that could chart relationships among people in real time. It also turned the N.S.A.’s data-collection paradigm upside down. Instead of vacuuming up information around the world and then sending it all back to headquarters for analysis, ThinThread processed information as it was collected—discarding useless information on the spot and avoiding the overload problem that plagued centralized systems. Binney says, “The beauty of it is that it was open-ended, so it could keep expanding.”

Pilot tests of ThinThread proved almost too successful, according to a former intelligence expert who analyzed it. “It was nearly perfect,” the official says. “But it processed such a large amount of data that it picked up more Americans than the other systems.” Though ThinThread was intended to intercept foreign communications, it continued documenting signals when a trail crossed into the U.S. This was a big problem: federal law forbade the monitoring of domestic communications without a court warrant. And a warrant couldn’t be issued without probable cause and a known suspect. In order to comply with the law, Binney installed privacy controls and added an “anonymizing feature,” so that all American communications would be encrypted until a warrant was issued. The system would indicate when a pattern looked suspicious enough to justify a warrant.

In the weeks after the attacks, rumors began circulating inside the N.S.A. that the agency, with the approval of the Bush White House, was violating the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act—the 1978 law, known as FISA, that bars domestic surveillance without a warrant. Years later, the rumors were proved correct. In nearly total secrecy, and under pressure from the White House, Hayden sanctioned warrantless domestic surveillance. The new policy, which lawyers in the Justice Department justified by citing President Bush’s executive authority as Commander-in-Chief, contravened a century of constitutional case law. Yet, on October 4, 2001, Bush authorized the policy, and it became operational by October 6th. Bamford, in “The Shadow Factory,” suggests that Hayden, having been overcautious about privacy before 9/11, swung to the opposite extreme after the attacks. Hayden, who now works for a security-consulting firm, declined to respond to detailed questions about the surveillance program.

When Binney heard the rumors, he was convinced that the new domestic-surveillance program employed components of ThinThread: a bastardized version, stripped of privacy controls. “It was my brainchild,” he said. “But they removed the protections, the anonymization process. When you remove that, you can target anyone.” He said that although he was not “read in” to the new secret surveillance program, “my people were brought in, and they told me, ‘Can you believe they’re doing this? They’re getting billing records on U.S. citizens! They’re putting pen registers’ ”—logs of dialled phone numbers—“ ‘on everyone in the country!’ ”

Binney, for his part, believes that the agency now stores copies of all e-mails transmitted in America, in case the government wants to retrieve the details later. In the past few years, the N.S.A. has built enormous electronic-storage facilities in Texas and Utah. Binney says that an N.S.A. e-mail database can be searched with “dictionary selection,” in the manner of Google.

There is a lot more in the article, I cannot quote everything. So please, if you are interested take a look.

antonz

Not surprising. The government always does it illegally then when caught will find a way to make it legal.

Even less shocking that government abuse is worse under Obama than Bush. Thats been the trend this entire administration.

Soda

9/10 of my emails are me uploading pictures from my phone to my computer.

NSA has a lot of dick pix.

smurfx

get some go again
not shocked that things are worst under obama. its like they have a plan and whoever the next president is will continue to expand on that plan.

"But we should trust the government when they ask us to compromise our freedoms for the illusion of security!"

"I have nothing to hide so I don't mind!!"

Mumei

"But we should trust the government when they ask us to compromise our freedoms for the illusion of security!"

"I have nothing to hide so I don't mind!!"

Perfect.

Absolutely ridiculous arguments people are making. If someone in the government wants to look at my e-mails, I want them to be required have a court order based on reasonable suspicion (or whatever the legal term is, exactly :|).

jchap

Could be true... or he could just have a big ego and a need for attention. Most of his claims are speculation.

EYEL1NER

I barely even read my own emails anymore. I get so much spam between my two accounts. I think I'm sitting at 7000 unread messages? I tell myself that one day I'll go through and get rid of a ton but I never do.
If they wanna read all of my emails one of these days? Eh. Have fun.

Edit: What would be cool is if, say, there was some server problem at Google or some shit and you lost all your emails, you could get a backup from the government. Probably wouldn't happen though.

I barely even read my own emails anymore. I get so much spam between my two accounts. I think I'm sitting at 7000 unread messages? I tell myself that one day I'll go through and get rid of a ton but I never do.
If they wanna read all of my emails one of these days? Eh. Have fun.

Apathy to this kind of stuff is why our rights are eroding.

Farooq

Banned
It's not just emails.

It is billing records, dialled phone numbers, web searches, G.P.S data, Basically infringing on everyone's privacy.

The goal was for national security, but instead they are using "Thin Thread" to spy on citizens domestically.

Regardless if what you email is garbage, the idea of your government having that information about you in databases across the country creates a host of problems.

charsace

No shit. Information has been power since man developed ways to communicate. You have a ton of intimate information being sent every day in emails and phone calls. Do people really think the government wouldn't be saving copies of this stuff?

msv

No shit. Information has been power since man developed ways to communicate. You have a ton of intimate information being sent every day in emails and phone calls. Do people really think the government wouldn't be saving copies of this stuff?
Who gives a shit about speculation, proof is what matters, and this is it. Good for you that you already 'knew' this was happening. Sadly that has nothing to do with being outraged at this. Just because you suspected something beforehand, doesn't mean you can't still be outraged when you find proof. In fact, it's kind of stupid not to be, since this is the time where it actually matters.

EYEL1NER

Apathy to this kind of stuff is why our rights are eroding.
I might get super-pissed about this later, but at the moment I can't bring myself to care.
My wife told me a couple hours ago that she doesnt love me anymore and that she is leaving me and then left with our daughter and I don't know if she is coming back or not.
I am pretty upset already about shit and trying to keep my mind occupied and my shit together. At the moment, the government reading my emails just makes me say "Okay. Have at 'em. Let me know if I missed something good in those 7000 unread messages."

noah111

Still Alive
Holy shit. Only most of my emails? And here I thought they had each and every one, that's some good news I guess.

Dalauz

Binney expressed terrible remorse over the way some of his algorithms were used after 9/11. ThinThread, the “little program” that he invented to track enemies outside the U.S., “got twisted,” and was used for both foreign and domestic spying: “I should apologize to the American people. It’s violated everyone’s rights. It can be used to eavesdrop on the whole world.” According to Binney, Drake took his side against the N.S.A.’s management and, as a result, became a political target within the agency.

21.-Sneakers.jpg

I like how most of the responses so far have been about the useless content of everyone's emails instead of, you know, the NSA fucking reading all your private shit.

inb4ifyoudonthavenothingtohidethough!

Aselith

I can only pray that they haven't realized how many cat pictures have actually come to me. I don't want to wind up on a hit list.

I like how most of the responses so far have been about the useless content of everyone's emails instead of, you know, the NSA fucking reading all your private shit.

inb4ifyoudonthavenothingtohidethough!

It's like watching children get disciplined and hearing them say 'I don't care, I don't even like Ice Cream!'. Such fucking disregard for the much larger issue at hand.

Dhx

My wife told me a couple hours ago that she doesnt love me anymore and that she is leaving me and then left with our daughter and I don't know if she is coming back or not.
I am pretty upset already about shit and trying to keep my mind occupied and my shit together.

Fuck, man. =/

Machine

Not surprising. The government always does it illegally then when caught will find a way to make it legal.

Even less shocking that government abuse is worse under Obama than Bush. Thats been the trend this entire administration.

The line between Democrat and Republic seems to have grown razor thin. Republicans under Bush opened the door to this shit and the Democrats cried foul. However, once Obama took office he didn't close the door, he opened it wider.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I've always assumed that everything I done online or said over the phone was recorded somewhere. I've got nothing to hide. Come at me gov!

The line between Democrat and Republic seems to have grown razor thin. Republicans under Bush opened the door to this shit and the Democrats cried foul. However, once Obama took office he didn't close the door, he opened it wider.

Change we can believe in.

btw, anyone who truly believes the "I've got nothing to hide so I don't care" logic, read this:

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=998565

Abstract:
In this short essay, written for a symposium in the San Diego Law Review, Professor Daniel Solove examines the nothing to hide argument. When asked about government surveillance and data mining, many people respond by declaring: "I've got nothing to hide." According to the nothing to hide argument, there is no threat to privacy unless the government uncovers unlawful activity, in which case a person has no legitimate justification to claim that it remain private. The nothing to hide argument and its variants are quite prevalent, and thus are worth addressing. In this essay, Solove critiques the nothing to hide argument and exposes its faulty underpinnings.

Aselith

I might get super-pissed about this later, but at the moment I can't bring myself to care.
I am pretty upset already about shit and trying to keep my mind occupied and my shit together. At the moment, the government reading my emails just makes me say "Okay. Have at 'em. Let me know if I missed something good in those 7000 unread messages."

That's pretty fucked up right there. Out of the blue or things coming to a head?

Brannon

What does this mean for those that pass around heavily encrypted emails? I know the government has some pretty impressive hardware, but some types of encryption will still take untold millions of years to crack.

ReBurn

Gold Member
People want an open Internet, yet expect what they do with it to be private. Have we all been lulled into a false sense of privacy?

Anyway, is J. Edgar Hoover running this thing from the grave?

Remember 10 years ago or so when people were laughing at those accusing the Patroit Act of being a "slippery slope"?

Oh Democracy Now, cleary an unbiased sourced if there ever was one.

Yeah I just noticed that. And like an idiot I didn't even read all of the OP. So far nothing is confirmed just stuff that is being accused. I'm still cynical though so I can see this being true.

Aselith

What does this mean for those that pass around heavily encrypted emails? I know the government has some pretty impressive hardware, but some types of encryption will still take untold millions of years to crack.

Well, they may simply have the files doesn't necessarily mean they have the contents in all cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom