• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Day, a Korean horror game (remake?), announced for PSVR

Dazza

Excellent, I hope we seen more Korean developers jump onto Playstation, we need some more diversity

This in VR? People are going to shit their pants.

Yeah, it's awesome they're making this based on the reactions in the old thread linked above and how well the horror was apparently done but I don't think I could even play this in non-VR let alone in VR. :D

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
SNL Korea - GTA White Day predicted this (kind of).

The game here is a remake of a 15-year old horror game, so the concept isn't quite predicted as there's been a horror game based off of the holiday for a while now. Though it is a parody, there was a remake in the works that got canned.

The remake was for mobile phones, this might be that remake, or a new remake... I need more details since the studio that made WhiteDay went under ages ago.

Dusk Golem

OKAY, DUG AROUND THE INTERNET, AND HERE'S WHAT I HAVE FOUND:

-This is not PS4 exclusive, apparently it is also releasing on iOS/Android/PC
-This is actually an International release, so it will be releasing out of Korea. English version for the mobile versions is confirmed.
-Here's a conference showing for the game that also shows some gameplay from the first 10 minutes of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IEFAPzW4hU
-The game releases in Korea in 2 weeks (November 19th).
-Will be an English dub for the Mobile release, and maybe others if it proves popular enough.
-The fucking limited edition of the PC version sold out super quickly, fuuuuck.
-Remake includes some new ghosts, as well as some of the scrapped ghosts that never made it to the original game.

Dascu

-This is actually an International release, so it will be releasing out of Korea. English version for the mobile versions is confirmed.
-Here's a conference showing for the game that also shows some gameplay from the first 10 minutes of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IEFAPzW4hU
-Will be an English dub for the Mobile release, and maybe others if it proves popular enough.
-Remake includes some new ghosts, as well as some of the scrapped ghosts that never made it to the original game.

Out of fucking nowhere.

Wonder if they can get this on Steam.

Dusk Golem

Out of fucking nowhere.

Wonder if they can get this on Steam.

If they wanted too, I'm sure they could. What's interesting is the Remake seems to include the original voice actors and voice acting, except they've also recorded some new lines it seems (the fact they tracked down all the original voice actors and got new lines from all of them is impressive in itself), they have the same composer who is working on the music (there's actually a video of him talking about this remake here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=113&v=s4909Xe4nV4 ), apparently almost the full team of the original game are working on the remake as well.

So since the same people are involved, it has a PC version, and getting an English dub, I'm sure a Steam version could exist if they want it to exist, but I guess they need to sense there's demand for such a thing.

Dascu

So since the same people are involved, it has a PC version, and getting an English dub, I'm sure a Steam version could exist if they want it to exist, but I guess they need to sense there's demand for such a thing.
Game is perfect for streaming/Twitch.

Steamlord

Holy shit, this came out of nowhere. I don't really get scared, but White Day might be the scariest game I've played. Hopefully this can nail the atmosphere of the original while fixing its problems.

Dusk Golem

Hopefully this gets a western releade, as I never got play the original.

Apparently a Western release is confirmed for the mobile version, but not for the other versions yet. I hope it comes Westside on PC/PS4, apparently the Mobile version has an English dub as well, and a Korean PS4/PC version is happening. Hoping they take the full dive.

Melchiah

Apparently a Western release is confirmed for the mobile version, but not for the other versions yet. I hope it comes Westside on PC/PS4, apparently the Mobile version has an English dub as well, and a Korean PS4/PC version is happening. Hoping they take the full dive.

Yeah, the PS4 version would be preferred, as I don't tend to play on laptop/mobile.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I still remember that Dusk thread. Pretty scary game, and I haven't even played it!

Hope it makes it to the west. Would love to try it.

Thanks, I'll stick this in the OP. I think a mobile release is bizarre but I guess that's the market nowadays.

Dusk Golem

In the convention held a few weeks ago in the video in the post of mine quoted in the OP, the gameplay and stuff shown shows a few interesting things. They look like they have new unlockable costumes for some of the characters for one, theyshow some weird mode where you can shoot fireballs or something that looks like some bonus thing or scrapped thing, they show something about the let's plays of the original WhiteDay and something about the West with WhiteDay, and also the gameplay looks pretty good for what it is. I wish there were some translation or key points from the showing.

Reedirect

Well I certainly didn't expect this. Awesome news. Let's hope they also did some work on the puzzles, some of the ones in the original were incredibly obtuse and confusing.

Dusk Golem

Well I certainly didn't expect this. Awesome news. Let's hope they also did some work on the puzzles, some of the ones in the original were incredibly obtuse and confusing.

Based off the video/what has been said, it sounds like they're keeping intact basically the whole original game, and one of the gameplay points they mention is puzzles, so it seems unlikely, but some scenes are receiving some changes, so maybe? They're saying this version is basically, "a remake and a director's cut," since they're trying to remake WhiteDay for newer and broader computer with some nicer graphics, but also trying to add new things and scenes to the game and put in things that were scrapped in the original game (there were a surprising number of scrapped scenes, enemies, and the like from the original release).

Steamlord

I have to say, I really like the new look. It's an update of the original game's aesthetic rather than trying to be perfectly realistic.

Anyway, can we please at least not have the janitor clipping through doors or jumping off balconies? Or you-know-what tossing you out of the map? As long as those bugs are no longer an issue, I'll be happy.

Also Seong-ah is best girl fight me

Nice finds, thx for sharing. Based off the footage of the mobile version, seems like this would be easily ported for Samsung Gear VR. Glad its coming to PC too.

Dusk Golem

Something interesting: During the conference, they talk about how there will be new ghosts, and show off a Ghost List. The Ghost List shown shows this version of the game will have 21 ghosts in it,

12fa9881f0563b2a69f69dc709d891d5.png

Now the ghosts that are 'known' are shown in the chart, those would be:
-
The Giant Baby
-
Mirror Doppelganger
-
Cafeteria Lady's Floating Head
-
Anatomy Model
-
Na-yeong, the girl we see hanging with the white shirt
-
The Long-Haired Crawling Woman
-
The Tree

And those seven are in the original game, and there's a few that aren't there that likely will be added
like the Master of the Labyrinth
. However, even if you counted all the ghosts in the game, it sounds like the new version of the game will feature around double the amount of ghosts to the original.

There were a variety of scrapped ghost found in the demo game's files, and they likely have some new ones they want to do, but this is regardless rather exciting for a fan. In the trailer, they mostly show scenes that were in the original game, but there are two new scenes I spotted, and the one that seems linked to a new ghosts is
a quick cut-away scene of the main character in one of the bathrooms and he see's in the bathroom mirror a reflection of something behind him, and in a later very fast cut-away we see the ghost crawling out of the mirror

I may be one of the more excited people for the remake, but it's something I never thought would ever happen, but now that it is I am terribly excited.

OH, MAJOR SPOILERS. I realized they actually FLASH some of the new ghosts on screen just now! I will spoiler tag the image, but you can see some of the new ghosts here:

07f5adbbe13bcefce6ca0caba47b6822.png
cae6a48e5e2e938dbe4210a1da83d63c.png

So, while not all of them (since the middle row is covered), there are at least nine new ghost confirmed, may be up to 14 new ghost in the remake.

What I can tell from the pictures, the ones that really catch my attention are:
-
The woman who's head seems to be able to twist backwards
-
A broken neck woman who's all twisted and gnarled
-
First one almost looks like an insect-type thing

Oh my, I almost didn't catch that.

---

Some other misc observations from the conference:

f161dd07309a9ec14b7b867fba92e183.png
083dd1b5e49d002c1b6178c6aeab27fe.png

After showing the reveal trailer, they showed this 2012 mobile game based off of White Day that never came to fruitation. You seem to be in the school, has some online interaction, and can shoot fireball spells you enchant to other players/ghosts, and have some sort of party system. I don't know the specifics, but since they showed it off, will it play a role? The original WhiteDay was planned to have multiplayer that was scrapped where a few players would play as people, and another couple would play as the Janitor/Ghosts. May these multiplayer things finally find their way into White Day, since they've tossed the idea around since the original game.

THOUGH, they show X's on the mobile game to imply the game was scrapped, and then show a fullscreen version of the game, which may be implying this mode found its way into the remake since the graphics in it also look better and a single screen now:

8c7178bc6a57c1eda49acb8dd5530a73.png

---

If I'm understanding the slides correctly, the company seems to have plans for the WhiteDay Franchise leading up to 2030:

1eadd7e183350fd938320ec2bf0f7ad6.png

Apparently after the remake, they have other plans for White Day as a brand.

They do a comparison of the original game's models to the remakes:

303e419f2dbb82549350d46335fb774d.png
80f7f90c00a408f17d23824b0f5483af.png

They show the remake will have some new collectibles, they show puzzle pieces you can apparently collect to fill out puzzles (looks like there's multiple but they only show off one), and getting all the pieces to a puzzle unlocks something or another:

7b1206a9bc4ffb5e683fb6261a79a9a4.png
6996fbdffecacfea34c7a47d9e4c02ba.png

They show off the Mobile version of the game, and boy do the bathrooms look more musty:
9db94c49b13a59b92a00d96748a0b229.png

Show off that crouching has been approved, and you can also peek under bathroom stall doors now:
16b641bb75291b6ca8e836ee133d8ad7.png

While this is the mobile version they're showing off, I'm happy it looks like they're keeping the original game's style instead of trying to go for super realistic:

7005104623ed6845f402e1990ed36355.png

-Items notable also now give off a shiny-sparkle effect to help make them spotable. Also in the first room, the room you start off in, there's at least one new item.

Inventory has seen an overhaul:
9b805f4b17ec64a255057e0d553ce8ca.png

>Can still turn and observe items in it though.

I had talked previously how WhiteDay followed 'real world logic' things in its design, and they seem to be amplifying that in the game now. An example is it now seems when you unlock doors they don't just magically unlock, you have to manually turn a key:

88bc5fc72bcb7f54aacca2bcd825cb6f.png

^That might be fun if trying to unlock things as something chases you.

They also show when you're in the vents you have to manually turn the valves now instead of it being a cutscene.

The alarm puzzle at the beginning has a new puzzle attached to it where you turn pipes, as well as the original switchboard:
f6bb55420d32677cf29935c7325c8dfc.png

The game has the original voice actors for the characters it seems, impressively they did new lines since we see a new scene not in the original game in the beginning bathroom:
141598d0f6d697f0ed2d160065ff3a07.png

Like or dislike Let's Plays, they point to the Let's Play scene for White Day and talk about how this can prove the game might have a global market, which I guess also points well to maybe the PC and PS4 version coming to the West?

65a5271f98bdacbebd4ea65fced57445.png

From what I can tell, they talk about how horror is liable in the west, and that low-budgeted but scary games can be appreciated, they point to the Five Nights series specifically:
9003ffa90aabebcbfd4a21cb7e586ed8.png

Talk about the global market for something or another:
5b94f6cb61c6fe41df5ba9aa1d409574.png

Now I have no idea what this slide is about, but they show what looks like David Lynch with Starbucks Coffee. I have no idea.

1272539df13ce8bf3936541231f5e84f.png

They show off the Collector's Edition, and the artbook page they show seems to show off some new puzzle thing and one of the new ghosts?

2ef7504a638fd237ca5e8986182217cd.png

Not sure if this is part of the Collector's Edition or what, but they show off some alt costumes for the girls that are White Day (the holiday) themed:
326b86b2c06114c0da765a2c4e895fb2.png

What all I spotted.

Dusk Golem

Best news in a long time.
Original game is incredible, what a random surprise to see this come back.

Surprise for all fans, but I'm definitely interested. Hope the remake can keep what made the original super good at what it does, though.

VR is getting a lot of interesting games behind it.

Still lacking big AAA titles.
(Come on Skyrim VR...)

I think some may come around when it proves itself/market viability. Indies and smaller companies in general are more experimental.

YuShtink

LOL people think they want all this super scary horror stuff in VR but I have a good feeling it will quickly become purely a "Hey come over and try this game I have" thing where the only fun you get out of it is watching other people like friends and family nope the fuck out of it in 5-10 minutes like you did. I know that after a couple playthroughs of Dreadhalls I probably won't be partaking in much VR horror. I've already seen more than enough haha. And that was a super early demo made by like one guy with crappy graphics on a dev kit....

Dusk Golem

LOL people think they want all this super scary horror stuff in VR but I have a good feeling it will quickly become purely a "Hey come over and try this game I have" thing where the only fun you get out of it is watching other people like friends and family nope the fuck out of it in 5-10 minutes like you did. I know that after a couple playthroughs of Dreadhalls I probably won't be partaking in much VR horror. I've already seen more than enough haha. And that was a super early demo made by like one guy with crappy graphics on a dev kit....

Might be the mainstream thing, but some of us like it, and as a horror enthusiast I want to play the whole game through at least once like that.

If this remake is as scary, or maybe scarier, than the original game, then it should be quite a fun VR experience. White Day itself works fantastically with VR since the game has some meat to it, and the janitor and other hauntings can wander around at random (don't appear at random, they have some dynamic AI of how they patrol the areas), and some randomized scares, so you actually need to look around and be careful as you progress.

Man

Like others I read Dusk Golems passionate thread from 2012 and I've been wanting it since. PSVR is the most interesting piece of hardware coming up and this game a classic and mysterious abandonware ala P.T.

Peru

"Unlike the PC industry before - we can now directly distribute games globally."

"Local language of 12 countries [translated], dubbing 3 languages"

Now I have no idea what this slide is about, but they show what looks like David Lynch with Starbucks Coffee. I have no idea.
1272539df13ce8bf3936541231f5e84f.png

Just says "for the price of a coffee or a pack of cigs you can buy a game" basically.

Dusk Golem

"Unlike the PC industry before - we can now directly distribute games globally."

"Local language of 12 countries [translated], dubbing 3 languages"

Just says "for the price of a coffee or a pack of cigs you can buy a game" basically.

Oh my, that does make it sound very likely the PC version is coming out of Korea.

Might be the mainstream thing, but some of us like it, and as a horror enthusiast I want to play the whole game through at least once like that.

If this remake is as scary, or maybe scarier, than the original game, then it should be quite a fun VR experience. White Day itself works fantastically with VR since the game has some meat to it, and the janitor and other hauntings can wander around at random (don't appear at random, they have some dynamic AI of how they patrol the areas), and some randomized scares, so you actually need to look around and be careful as you progress.

Out of curiosity what have you played in VR that's horror? Most 2d horror games don't affect me but it's a different thing entirely in VR. If anything I've grown more skittish about vr horror the more I've played games/demos. Tried this homage to The Shining the other day that was really well done on my dk2 and the equivalent of Room 237 opens up and a ball rolls out. Couldn't bring myself to go into the room which was pitch black xD

Top Bottom