• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White House furious after being trolled with Russia Oval Office photos

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/11/politics/oval-office-photos-donald-trump-russians/index.html

The White House did not anticipate that the Russian government would allow its state news agency to post photographs of an Oval Office meeting between President Donald Trump, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Russia's ambassador to the US, a White House official said.

Photos of Wednesday's meeting, taken by a Russian state news media photographer one day after Trump fired FBI Director James Comey amid questions about possible Trump campaign collusion with Moscow, were ultimately posted by Russia's news agency, TASS.

The White House did not post photos of the meeting although an official White House photographer was also in the room, the White House said. The State Department did post photos of Lavrov's meeting with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, but that was open to the press.

"They tricked us," an angry White House official said.

"That's the problem with the Russians -- they lie," the official added.

The Russians used the photos to troll the White House in its social media posts Wednesday. The Russian Foreign Ministry posted a photo of a smiling US President shaking hands with Lavrov on Twitter, adding strange and ironic optics to the questions already swirling around the White House over Comey's firing.

What incompetent fucks.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Wh... what do you think the photographs were for? Putin's personal spank bank?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
mQJF9e.gif

wildfire

Banned
Putin didn't get the Manchurian candidate he hoped for so he's basically telling everyone in the Kremlin to go YOLO.

Wait, he invites the Russian press in and thinks the pictures aren't going to get out? What does the think the word "press" means??

How did they troll them? You stupid fucks invited them and only pissed now because the firing of Comey paints it in the worst light possible. This is entirely self inflicted.

studyguy

What more would a state NEWS AGENCY do than post news that happens to include photos? Even without the influence of the kremlin on the agency... I mean he clearly took photo ops. What did he expect?

daveo42

Banned
The WH better hope that's the only unexpected events that come from letting a Russian State News Agency photographer and Russian spy into the Oval Office.

Wh... what do you think the photographs were for? Putin's personal spank bank?

I'm sure Putin is getting off on this news as we speak.

chefbags

What more would a state NEWS AGENCY do than post news that happens to include photos? Even without the influence of the kremlin on the agency... I mean he clearly took photo ops. What did he expect?

Like what I'm thinking is did Trump think the photos were for private use or some shit lol

Kasparov tweeted yesterday how this all perfectly fits into Putins domestic (Russian/European) agenda. By photographing Russian officials next to the American president, juxtaposing them as all equals together, it raises Putin (and his cronies) international cache domestically. It's one of the reasons why both Bush and Obama stopped having prominent photo ops with Putin after his first term as Russian president... the photos were all used as Russian propaganda internal to the Russian zone (Russia and former Soviet bloc countries)

Is that real?

It is, but it's a bit of a double entendre. Someone Garry Kasparov retweeted yesterday explained that the Russian can be interpreted to mean, "within his power" (e.g., the FBI Director reports to the president and can be fired by the president) or "within his ability" (e.g., Trump is an idiot). I think Putin chose the words intentionally to send a difficult to decipher message.

Kite

If you needed more proof that the Russian's goal is the destabilize and weaken the US, they're not Trump's friends no matter what the idiot thinks.

ZOONAMI

Why would you think they want a photographer lol?

Putin just wants to look at these glorious photos in private? So basically they are ok with spying but not the press publishing stuff.

Top Bottom