• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

White House, in fiery letter, declares Trump won’t participate in House Judiciary impeachment hearing

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009

President Trump and his lawyers won't participate in the House Judiciary Committee’s first impeachment hearing scheduled for Wednesday, the White House said in a forceful letter Sunday night.

The response came as the Democratic majority on the House Intelligence Committee was preparing to approve a report on Tuesday that will outline possible charges of bribery or “high crimes and misdemeanors,” the constitutional standard for impeachment. After receiving the report, the Judiciary Committee would prepare actual charges.
“This baseless and highly partisan inquiry violates all past historical precedent, basic due process rights, and fundamental fairness,” wrote White House counsel Pat Cipollone, continuing the West Wing’s attack on the procedural form of the impeachment proceedings. Trump himself was scheduled to attend a summit with NATO allies outside London on Wednesday.

Cipollone's five-page letter, sent to Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler, D-N.Y, made clear that his response applied only to the Wednesday hearing, at least for now. Cipollone emanded more information from Democrats on how they intended to conduct further hearings before Trump would decide whether to participate in those hearings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tesseract

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Were I Trump I would take a shit in a bag and mail it to Schiff along with some tools to pick through it and a hand written note saying, "have fun".

But that probably isn't as diplomatic as a strongly worded letter.

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
He wanted a chance to defend himself I thought? Isn't that what this is?
They wouldn't even provide a list of who he would be defending himself from until the last minute. I wouldn't go either. They gave clinton and his lawyers 2 weeks notice prior to any hearing and details of who would be testifying. This was done in a few days when Trump is going to be out of the country, Nadler has been running it super fast during all of these hearings he has headed up so far so they can try and push obstruction when you don't comply with his last minute demands. Defending yourself on the fly with no prep is not a good idea with how this shitshow has been misconstrued.

Democrats have pulled this stunt a couple times now. They know he is going to be out of the country and they put on these public spectacles, he was meeting with Kim and they trotted out Cohen to tell everybody nothing.

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
if i was an advisor to trump i would tell him to stay the hell away from any kind of sitdown. whether you like trump or not he is no orator and would probably incriminate himself even if he didn't do anything wrong. this is why he did the written responses to mueller instead of sitting down and talking to him

Reactions: cryptoadam

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
Because Trump is a coward.
You do know how simple this sounds right? These people are not internet posters, they are highly trained lawyers who will stop at nothing to incriminate you, make you look bad, or perjury trap you regardless of whether or not you did, or didn't do it.

Life isn't a T.V. show, they go for blood.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Good summary.

He points out that Trump has played the Democrats by pushing them into a hasty impeachment (manipulation via Twitter and the Dem's own far-left members) and further manipulated them by pushing them into actual inquiry hearings (as opposed to closed-door hearings that leak rumors to the press).

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
None of the "evidence" we have so far moved the needle. At this point it is probably best to let Nadler make a fool out of himself and laugh from the outside.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
I don't really know if Nixon actually did anything wrong, retrospectively. Nixon was an honorable man and a good president, who was stepping on the toes of foes larger than himself. Unlike Trump, who is larger than his foes.

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
None of the "evidence" we have so far moved the needle. At this point it is probably best to let Nadler make a fool out of himself and laugh from the outside.
One of these people named Noah Feldman who they have testifying that what Trump did was an impeachable offence is a bit of a lunatic. He has already publicly endorsed impeachment for all kinds of things such as calling certain press the enemy of the people to an ad for Trump hotels accidentally showing up on a government website. Expect a lot of appeal to authority comments from the resident tin foil hat brigade.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Joe T. and JORMBO

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
One of these people Noah Feldman they have testifying that what Trump did was an impeachable offence is a bit of a lunatic. He has already publicly endorsed impeachment for all kinds of things such as calling certain press the enemy of the people to an ad for Trump hotels accidentally showing up on a government website. Expect a lot of appeal to authority comments from the resident tin foil hat brigade.
I don’t plan on watching. I’ve already heard all the testimony directly myself. I don’t need it filtered through a bunch of lawyers for reasons you mentioned.

zeorhymer

Gold Member
Nov 9, 2013
San Francisco, CA
I don't really know if Nixon actually did anything wrong, retrospectively. Nixon was an honorable man and a good president, who was stepping on the toes of foes larger than himself. Unlike Trump, who is larger than his foes.
Nixon was paranoid that he wasn't going to win. So instead of letting events play out, he sent his own people and got caught.

In other news, Trump played the Dems like puppets. Forced their hand with the inquiry, which lead to a whole lot of nothing. Now with the hearing which is happening while Trump is with the UN, makes the Dems look even worse because the optics to the regular person would be, why schedule something when the President is away? It absolutely goes against the notion of a fair hearing that people grew up with.

Horns

Jun 23, 2010
Of course he's not participating. Trump is guilty. His own staff has admitted as much. Trump has fumbled all the talking points. He will lie like he always does and make up excuses. His obstruction is only further proof of guilt. Really enjoy all the cute responses defending him though.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
The 'overwhelming' levels of objectively verifiable evidence speak for themselves.
In lieu of evidence, just call it "overwhelming" over and over while sycophants in the media repeat the term to their viewers.

Overwhelming. Oh heavens, oh my stars, how can I hold all these evidence?

It hints at how emotionally-driven their logic is instead of being fact-driven.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
In lieu of evidence, just call it "overwhelming" over and over while sycophants in the media repeat the term to their viewers.

Overwhelming. Oh heavens, oh my stars, how can I hold all these evidence?

It hints at how emotionally-driven their logic is instead of being fact-driven.
Shades of "walls are closing in" all over again.

Can't wait for the "overwhelming" YouTube dub of all the controlled media in a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

dragonfart28

Banned
Jun 12, 2009
It's the KFC