• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White House looking at ethics rule to weaken special investigation

I feel like a non-insignificant portion of the people who were all "if you have nothing to hide, then what do you care?" about Prism/Snowden probably voted for Trump but I'm sure they still think he's innocent

Derwind

Almost everything out of the White House already has a light of suspicion cast one it and yet they always find a way to make them look even more guilty than before.

Zolo

'This will be the end of the investigation for sure,' says increasingly nervous president.

rs-trump-nervous.png

IrishNinja

That's the thing that gets me. If they were actually truly all innocent, they wouldn't give a shit about this and just let it all play out. Actively trying to impede it just brings even more attention to it and ensures it's going to keep escalating.

it's so incredibly transparent too, you'd think we were dealing with a failed businessman and not a career politician

Armaros

The only way this works is if they can get rosenstien to refuse to give the permission. Sessions gets no word on it because it involves the invesigston.

Using obscure ethic laws signed in as executive orders to impede justice on yourself is still impeding justice and would never fly because you cannot makes laws or executive orders that shield you from justice. No one is above the law and if the White House lawyers think they could argue this in front of any judge. Well good luck.gif

What is his counsels record on winning implementation executive orders brought in front of judges? Yeah...

It sounds like it wouldn't happen.

It says the rule can be waived by the justice department. If Sessions is recused, that would mean the power to waive it would fall with Rosenstein, and obviously he would waive it because he appointed Mueller.

Boke1879

Trump's people started calling reporters as soon as Air Force One took off. They like "He ain't bringing me down with him"

Durden77

It sounds like it wouldn't happen.

It says the rule can be waived by the justice department. If Sessions is recused, that would mean the power to waive it would fall with Rosenstein, and obviously he would waive it because he appointed Mueller.

Recusing himself didn't stop him from "recommending" the firing of Comey. If Sessions knows this investigation is putting him in hot water, he might say fuck it and step in and no one will care just like the fact everyone barely mentioned his hand in firing Comey.

I kind of have a bad feeling about this.

Recusing himself didn't stop him from "recommending" the firing of Comey. If Sessions know this investigation is outting him in hit water, he might say fuck it and step in and no one will care just like the fact that barely mentioned his hand in firing Comey

I kind of have a bad feeling about this.

That;s not how it works. He legally cannot have a say in the investigation. He has no legal power to go to a court and invoke this ethics rule on Mueller and the investigation.

Only Rosenstein does.

So the purpose of this regulation, as far as I can tell, is so that lawyers don't go easy on prior clients. I don't think that is a concern here?

cameron

Cute.
But the administration is now mainly focused on placing a cloud over his reputation for independence, according to the sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Kathleen Clark, a professor of legal ethics at Washington University School of Law, said the Justice Department can grant a waiver if concerns about bias are minimal.

She said subjects of the investigation could later argue that its results cannot be trusted, but she believes the argument would not stand up in court.
It's desperate and very goofy. Good luck with all that.

So the purpose of this regulation, as far as I can tell, is so that lawyers don't go easy on prior clients. I don't think that is a concern here?

There are also ethical rules for attorneys that prevent them from opposing prior clients because it is unfair to the prior client. That seems separate from this federal statute.

MIMIC

Banned
Mueller's former law firm, WilmerHale, represents Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner, who met with a Russian bank executive in December, and the president's former campaign manager Paul Manafort, who is a subject of a federal investigation.

Washington, DC: where EVERYONE is separated by 1 degree.

Let them try. This just mean more charges will be handed out when the time comes. This will ensure that this takes Trump plus many other people that are complicit in this whole traitorous affair.

well... you'll get Pence or Ryan right after that though. And despite being 'career' Republicans, those are not really much better with the undying hatred of anything Obama, female, or non-white. They're just slightly less dumb.

This will not be easily handwaved away. Anyone and anything associated with Trump and company will be put through the firepit. Ryan and McConnell included. It took about 8 years before the Bush stank went away. And Jeb! paid a heavy price for it.

well... you'll get Pence or Ryan right after that though. And despite being 'career' Republicans, those are not really much better with the undying hatred of anything Obama, female, or non-white. They're just slightly less dumb.

Just until 2018/2020. I'm definitely cynical after the election, but I still believe that a Trump impeachment will remove the Republican majority in Congress.

He is really trying to weasel himself out of this. By attempting to do this you are just making yourself look more guilty. If you have nothing to hide why would you go to these lengths to weaken or stall an investigation Mr. President? I hope this backfires on him hard.

Top Bottom