• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White House meeting between Trump, Pelosi, and Schumer.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
Ann and Tucker should keep it up. I'll never stop smiling about Clinton losing, but facts are facts. He was primarily elected for border security and to stop the adverse impacts caused by illegal immigration. And since then he let the swamp consistently convince him that the fight was not worth having until he lost the house, all while Mitchy pissed away a gift horse by not getting rid of the filibuster which is already dead and clinging to life support until the Dems take the Senate and pull the plug.

But for the Dems - how have they not pulled their head from their asses and just gotten the wall done? They wanted it a decade ago, and a ton of citizen's clearly want it still. And by God if they really want Trump to go away then common sense says get rid of the issue that got him where he is to render him pointless. They can trumpet approval ratings until the cows come home, but when the next man/women up for the White House on their side is siding with global entities and illegal immigrants, do they really think the people who voted in 2016 will sit home because he said mean things?

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member

If my VA benefits get fucked with over this...

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
If you really care at all about things the Dems want to see happen you would not be making this kind of comment. People are fed up with illegal immigration because of the economic impacts, which no politically slanted studies suggesting they contribute more than they take over 30 years will ever change their minds on. There is much room for compromise in politics, but consistently calling people who consist of 1/2 the country racist for their concerns will preserve the wall blocking progress and noting more. Unreal that not a single Dem has learned from HRC's mistakes yet.

ssolitare

Manbaby: The Member
Jan 12, 2009
If you really care at all about things the Dems want to see happen you would not be making this kind of comment. People are fed up with illegal immigration because of the economic impacts, which no politically slanted studies suggesting they contribute more than they take over 30 years will ever change their minds on. There is much room for compromise in politics, but consistently calling people who consist of 1/2 the country racist for their concerns will preserve the wall blocking progress and noting more. Unreal that not a single Dem has learned from HRC's mistakes yet.
The labor market competition hypothesis is false.

The people the most worries about immigration come from states with less immigration. Trump evoked "It's dem ruffians ova der"" like the Trump card Republicans have used a few times over, and it worked, again.

In a nutshell, identity politics.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I saw it live while it was happening...I can't put into words.
LOL, I had the same reaction. It was almost like watching three kids at recess yelling at each other. Pelosi was patting herself on the back for the Dems' congressional wins, Trump was patting himself on the back for the senate wins, Schumer looked like he realized he had made a big mistake trying to argue about the border funding in front of cameras. It was... entertaining. No one came out of that looking good.

danielberg

Jun 20, 2018
Kids table lol
"you can push it through the house!"
"i can get the house votes but i dont have 10 senate dems votes so its a waste of time."
"yeah but you can push it through the house!"
"i can get the house votes but i dont have 10 senate dems votes so its a waste of time."
"yeah but the house.."
Wtf nancy lol

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
May 17, 2018
Place bets on how long it takes Trump brag about ratings. He believes life is The Apprentice.

Dev1lXYZ

Sep 1, 2017
My take away is that neither Pelosi and Schumer ever looked at Trump in the eye when listening or speaking with him. That’s disrespectful and belies cowardice. What poor representatives the Democrat Party has for the citizens. They wanted this meeting in private so they could spin bullshit to the media.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Mar 1, 2017
It's funny because they all keep saying how friendly they are in this debate but obviously hate each other

Last edited:

PkunkFury

Jun 17, 2004
USA
why is Trump risking so much political capital on a border wall, when it isn't even a popular idea? Shutting down the government over something that doesn't even have much support seems like a recipe to go down in flames

My take away is that neither Pelosi and Schumer ever looked at Trump in the eye when listening or speaking with him.
They both look at him when speaking, but they also address the press and cameras (which Trump is facing) because it's clear the real audience with this meeting is the people, not the other politicians, hence Trump's strange need for making this meeting public when no details or negotiations have begun.

Schumer looks like he's avoiding looking at Trump so as not to crack up over how doofy Trump sounds. Trump can't even get his wall crap passed in a house he controls. So he's trying to make a spectacle out of it and make the dems look weak on security. Glad we have dem leaders like this who stand up to wasteful spending

Also they may as well have just brought a prop Mike Pence to the meeting

Last edited:

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
From the Washington Post:

Moments after returning to Capitol Hill after an Oval Office standoff with President Trump, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi questioned Trump’s manhood and said the border wall was a matter of masculine pride.

“It’s like a manhood thing for him. As if manhood could ever be associated with him. This wall thing,” said the California congresswoman.

Time to get some popcorn.

danielberg

Jun 20, 2018
why is Trump risking so much political capital on a border wall, when it isn't even a popular idea?
Because its actually pretty popular, that democrats dont like it doesnt factor into anything because they would never vote for Trump anyway.

PkunkFury

Jun 17, 2004
USA
Because its actually pretty popular, that democrats dont like it doesnt factor into anything because they would never vote for Trump anyway.
https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2517

"Voters oppose 59 - 37 percent building a wall along the border with Mexico. Opposition jumps to 65 - 33 percent in a question noting that Trump has asked Congress for $25 billion for the wall. "

and for extra laughs, it's even not popular on Rasmussen polls:

"The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 37% of Likely U.S. Voters believe the United States should build a wall along the Mexican border to help stop illegal immigration. Fifty-six percent (56%) disagree. (To see survey question wording, click here.)"
And of course this survey question did not mention cost (see above for why this matters)

Now it's your turn.

Show me some proof that its "actually pretty popular". Admittedly these surveys are old. Have these numbers changed much?

danielberg

Jun 20, 2018
https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2517

"Voters oppose 59 - 37 percent building a wall along the border with Mexico. Opposition jumps to 65 - 33 percent in a question noting that Trump has asked Congress for $25 billion for the wall. "

and for extra laughs, it's even not popular on Rasmussen polls:

"The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 37% of Likely U.S. Voters believe the United States should build a wall along the Mexican border to help stop illegal immigration. Fifty-six percent (56%) disagree. (To see survey question wording, click here.)"
And of course this survey question did not mention cost (see above for why this matters)

Now it's your turn.

Show me some proof that its "actually pretty popular". Admittedly these surveys are old. Have these numbers changed much?
There is no prove i am saying this because he is indeed pushing for it and the gov has all the numbers they need to decide on something like this, so if for example most of the "yes" are from republicans and most of the "no" are from democrats its smart for the gop to do it, they dont get any votes out of pandering to the democrat base.

Last edited:

Zangiefy360

Aug 30, 2018
My thoughts after watching the entire unedited meeting:

- Nancy and Chuck look like scared kids when talking to Trump. He overpowers them with ease. Chuck is so weak he can't even make eye contact.
- Nancy and Chuck have zero ideas. What do they want to do to improve border security? Who knows.
- Trump is a master negotiator and communicator. I love watching him in these situations.
- Remember when Democrats were for a wall until Trump came around? Obama and Hillary.
- Shut down the government. The wall must be built. Keep pressing, Mr. President!!!

Last edited:

PkunkFury

Jun 17, 2004
USA
There is no prove i am saying this because he is indeed pushing for it and the gov has all the numbers they need to decide on something like this, so if for example most of the "yes" are from republicans and most of the "no" are from democrats its smart for the gop to do it, they dont get any votes out of pandering to the democrat base.
If there's no prove, than why are you spreading false information which you can't backup?

I have posted prove.
The wall is an unpopular policy position.

The prove I posted even included information about how many republicans are against the wall, particularly once they know what it costs. Did you look at the links I posted? None of what you are saying changes the fact that a wall is supported by only a minority of US voters
Trump is threatening to shut down the government, a move which is historically unpopular with voters, in an effort to deliver on a promise that is also measurably unpopular with voters. What is the benefit of turning away voters for a policy that has little voter support?

The wall is a money pit with little to no benefit. No one wants this thing but Trump and his NPCs who haven't considered the issue, costs, or options available on any level

嫩翼

so it's not nice
Apr 2, 2013
香港

- Nancy and Chuck look like scared kids when talking to Trump. He overpowers them with ease. Chuck is so weak he can't even make eye contact.
- Nancy and Chuck have zero ideas. What do they want to do to improve border security? Who knows.
- Trump is a master negotiator and communicator. I love watching him in these situations.
- Remember when Democrats were for a wall until Trump came around? Obama and Hillary.
- Shut down the government. The wall must be built. Keep pressing, Mr. President!!!

Dev1lXYZ

Sep 1, 2017

Those posers didn’t know what hit them when Trump laid down how its going to be moving forward! Shut the government down just like Reagan did. We want that wall, and if the government gets shut down, so be it!

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
What did Chuck Schumer mean by this quote:

"When the President brags that he won North Dakota and Indiana, he's in real trouble."

EscapeArtist

Banned
Dec 18, 2014
Midwest

Overpowers them with his stupidity, watch anything but Fox News' take on the meeting and Trump looks like a child throwing a temper tantrum while adults in the room try to reign him in. This is silly, and the wall is a waste of money and you know it. It was a talking point for his campaign and won't stop a single person from getting in to the country.

Last edited:

EscapeArtist

Banned
Dec 18, 2014
Midwest
Those posers didn’t know what hit them when Trump laid down how its going to be moving forward! Shut the government down just like Reagan did. We want that wall, and if the government gets shut down, so be it!
Yeah, it's totes a power move when the "president" throws a tempter tantrum and threatens to shut down the government because he didn't get his way. I saw a 4 year old do that exact same thing at a playground last week when his mom wanted to go home and he didn't.

EscapeArtist

Banned
Dec 18, 2014
Midwest
Definitely the actions of a genius and not an old man that's basically senile and acting like a toddler throwing a tantrum

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/420917-reporter-says-trump-stormed-out-of-oval-office-after-dem-meeting?__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

EscapeArtist

Banned
Dec 18, 2014
Midwest
Oh, and this is the same guy that thinks Trump is a genius because his dumb ass can't spell the world "smoking" correctly. Disregard his opinion.

Smocking has a double meaning there. It’s Trump being facetious. Do you know what smocking is? Per the Urban Dictionary: Smocking is body painting for sexual gratification. While the majority of body painting is done forartistic reasons, smockers belong to the subgroup that's just interested in getting their kicks. Normally either a negative or playful context, smockers aren't generally considered artists.

Who is famous for smocking? John Podesta.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
"Support for Trump’s immigration policies underscores partisan divisions in the country: 91 percent of Republican respondents said they back the president on the issue, compared to just 42 percent of people who described themselves as politically independent and 14 percent of Democrats." -PBS, from a new PBS/NPR/Marist poll released today

There are a variety of other perspectives they take in approaching the issue, none of them all that favorable. There are, however, some other interesting findings from that poll unrelated to border security, namely the one that shows the media, more than Trump, has fueled the incivility in the country. That's gotta burn.

Since it's related, Pew also released a poll today involving 27 countries, none of which had a majority stating they wanted increased immigration.

Dude Abides

Apr 8, 2009
Trump ranting like the village idiot as per usual, Chuck blabbing about WaPo Pinocchios like anybody gives a fuck. San Fran Nan the only adult in the room.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Dec 5, 2008
www.twitch.tv
Sheesh what a shit show from everyone involved really. Shame on Trump for literally acting like a 5 year old taking his ball and going home. Shame on ChucknNancy for going to the meeting to begin with. Should have immediately walked out when Trump decided to turn this into an episode of Celebrity Apprentice.

our Politics have gotten so embarrassing

Last edited:

Dev1lXYZ

Sep 1, 2017
He pretty much put the two highest ranking Democrats to shame in front of the whole world. That’s why the media are having such a frenzy about it trying to spin it into something it isn’t. I guess you think that you are going to win a prize by insulting me or something. I don’t really care-please continue to prove me right.

PkunkFury

Jun 17, 2004
USA
"Support for Trump’s immigration policies underscores partisan divisions in the country: 91 percent of Republican respondents said they back the president on the issue, compared to just 42 percent of people who described themselves as politically independent and 14 percent of Democrats." -PBS, from a new PBS/NPR/Marist poll released today

There are a variety of other perspectives they take in approaching the issue, none of them all that favorable. There are, however, some other interesting findings from that poll unrelated to border security, namely the one that shows the media, more than Trump, has fueled the incivility in the country. That's gotta burn.

Since it's related, Pew also released a poll today involving 27 countries, none of which had a majority stating they wanted increased immigration.
First of all, the poll you've posted still shows that Trump's immigration policies are only popular among a minority (granted a much more significant minority) of voters:

Fifty-two percent of U.S. adults surveyed disapproved of Trump’s actions on immigration. Another 44 percent of respondents said they approve of the president’s work on the issue, with an additional 4 percent saying they were unsure.
More importantly, I asked for proof that "The Wall" is an "actually pretty popular" policy, not that Trump's immigration policies as a whole are popular. I have no doubt that Trump's immigration policies (including stricter deportation and fewer benefits for illegals) are more popular than the wall. There is some merit to some of Trump's other immigration positions, even if they are harsh and can be labeled cruel. Such policies can be framed as benefiting US citizens. "The wall" has no merit. People see it as the expensive eyesore it would be.

Edit: in fact, lower in your source:
A majority of Americans — 57 percent — said Trump needs to compromise on the border wall, while 36 percent said they would rather see the government shut down than Trump back down from building the wall.
So there we have it, wall remains unpopular

The poster I quoted claimed the wall is actually popular. I suspect he has made that inference with nothing beyond observation in his bubble of sources to back it up. Feel free to step in and prove me wrong for him, as I'd certainly like to know the truth, but there should be nothing stopping him from proving his point himself it there's any reality to it. I've never seen high support for the wall in any actual tabulation, and I have no doubt the poster I quoted pulled that information out of thin air

Last edited:

JareBear

Gold Member
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)

Have you ever said anything positive about a democrat? Honest question, I’m genuinely curious. My limited exposure to your posts seems to show 100 percent opposition to anything non-Trump but I could be wrong

Dev1lXYZ

Sep 1, 2017
First of all, the poll you've posted still shows that Trump's immigration policies are only popular among a minority (granted a much more significant minority) of voters:

More importantly, I asked for proof that "The Wall" is an "actually pretty popular" policy, not that Trump's immigration policies as a whole are popular. I have no doubt that Trump's immigration policies including stricter deportation and fewer benefits for illegals are more popular than the wall. There is some merit to some of Trump's other immigration positions, even if they are harsh and can be framed is cruel. Such policies can be framed as benefiting US citizens. "The wall" has no merit. What you have provided says nothing about the wall

The poster I quoted claimed the wall is actually popular. I suspect he has made that inference with nothing beyond observation in his bubble of sources to back it up. Feel free to step in and prove me wrong for him, as I'd certainly like to know the truth, but there should be nothing stopping him from proving his point himself it there's any reality to it. I've never seen high support for the wall in any actual tabulation, and I have no doubt the poster I quoted pulled that information out of thin air

It’s popular with Republicans and last time I checked, they have 2/3 of the government.

EscapeArtist

Banned
Dec 18, 2014
Midwest
He pretty much put the two highest ranking Democrats to shame in front of the whole world. That’s why the media are having such a frenzy about it trying to spin it into something it isn’t. I guess you think that you are going to win a prize by insulting me or something. I don’t really care-please continue to prove me right.
Yeah, okay dude. He totally looked presidential and not like a toddler throwing a temper tantrum. I'm gonna be straight up honest and don't care if I get banned for it, I think you're an absolute moron. You're the same guy that told me he misspelled "smoking" twice because he was trying to put out a message to his followers. You're a fucking idiot.

PkunkFury

Jun 17, 2004
USA
It’s popular with Republicans and last time I checked, they have 2/3 of the government.
then why hasn't it been built yet? They've had complete control for two years. Hint, it's because once a price is put on building the wall, it's not that popular.

Mid-thirty percent support is not popular. Just because republicans have control does not mean every idea that comes from a republican is favorable.

But, by all means, encourage Trump to push this direction!

Last edited:

EscapeArtist

Banned
Dec 18, 2014
Midwest
then why hasn't it been built yet? They've had complete control for two years. Hint, it's because once a price is put on building the wall, it's not that popular.

Mid-thirty percent support is not popular. Just because republicans have control does not mean every idea that comes from a republican is favorable.

But by all means, encourage Trump to push this direction!
Because he can't, because he can't get the votes, because it's a stupid idea and a dumb use of money. But it's Trump so he's used to spending money uselessly and having his dumb ass fanbase applaud him for it.

Last edited: