• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White House, Senate reach deal on $2 trillion stimulus package

Mihos

Gold Member
May 10, 2009
steamcommunity.com
So I make less that 75K a year easily and my lady is stay at home Mom with our 3 boys. Does that mean only I get a check? Or does she too?
You will probably get $3600 I would think, as long as you filed jointly or if she is listed as a dependent on yours I would think

Last edited:
Reactions: Fun Fanboy

Fun Fanboy

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
You will probably get $3600 I would think, as long as you filed jointly or if she is listed as a dependent on yours I would think
Looks like I can cut that in half then. She is stay at home mom and we aren't married. I'm head of household. So we shall see what happens. I'm still working, so don't know if that takes away the check from me. I'm working 5 hours a day instead of 10. So who knows. Thanks for the reply.

May 22, 2018
After seeing the specifics this bill is marginally better than nothing, but not by much. $1200 is too little and it's going to take far too long to get the money out. In some cases it will apparently take up to 4 months.

Congress can do better, but if this is all we get then like I said it's better than getting no aid at all I guess.

Reactions: Miku Miku

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
Oh, May? That is fantastic. Not like people need money now or anything.
It looks like as long you put chose direct deposit for your 2018 return, and your direct deposit info hasn't changed, it will be more like mid April.

If you need help sooner you'll need to apply for unemployment or for an emergency small business loan if thats your situation.

I'm sorry man.

Calcium

May 15, 2013
It looks like as long you put chose direct deposit for your 2018 return, and your direct deposit info hasn't changed, it will be more like mid April.

If you need help sooner you'll need to apply for unemployment or for an emergency small business loan if thats your situation.

I'm sorry man.
Nah, I don't need the money but there are countless out there that do. Getting it out to them faster should have been priority.

Reactions: Sub_Level

TwoDurans

Formerly 'One (1) Giant Size Novelty Sexual Device'
Apr 23, 2011
Bernie is gonna hold this up now
He's threatening to hold it up if Graham and the funky bunch hold it up over the unemployment lines. It's a race to act the dumbest in the country's time of need.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
He's threatening to hold it up if Graham and the funky bunch hold it up over the unemployment lines. It's a race to act the dumbest in the country's time of need.
The bill accidentally made it better to lay-off people than keep them working. I'd say that's worth spending 15 minutes tonight voting on an amendment to fix that. That is not going to stall the bill to a significant extent.

Reactions: Oner and DeepEnigma

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Sounds like a few ghouls including Lindsay Graham are going to hold it up anyways because some poor people might get more money for a few months with extra unemployment benefits than at their shitty job.
They aren't holding it up - they are introducing an amendment to fix that loophole that already has bipartisan approval. It'll take all of 15 minutes.

This isn't supposed to be benefits - this is supposed to be emergency aid. Fixing a loophole without significant delays is fine.

Damage Inc

Nov 10, 2013
After seeing the specifics this bill is marginally better than nothing, but not by much. $1200 is too little and it's going to take far too long to get the money out. In some cases it will apparently take up to 4 months.

Congress can do better, but if this is all we get then like I said it's better than getting no aid at all I guess.
How does someone not have a bank account? To me this is like the whole argument against Voter IDs because minorities don’t have drivers licenses (Hyperbole). Basically if you’re a worker you should have a bank account. Hell my 13 and 6 year olds have one. I’ve had the same one since I was born.

Oh I got it! All the minorities that don’t have IDs to have a Voter ID system can’t setup a bank account without a drivers license.

/s

Side note. Is there a repayment plan for this? Are we going to be taxed back for it?

Last edited:

PKM

Oct 11, 2017
Quick question...my brothers been bugging me.

33 year old, homeless for the last year, hasnt worked since 2015..
Hes not getting s check right?

If so...how? Dudes homeless.

Hes hyped about his Trump buxs but I keep telling him hes probably not getting anything.

Mar 18, 2018

Hes hyped about his Trump buxs but I keep telling him hes probably not getting anything.
Is he disabled or just lazy?

womfalcs3

May 11, 2007

Personal question, and please don't take it as an attack. But why doesn't your brother stay with you if he's homeless?

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019

He probably won't because he hasn't filed a tax return. He can still file the 2019 version and get his money. It'll take a while since he likely doesn't have direct deposit.

duhu1148

May 18, 2018

My brother is in a similar situation. He hasn't worked since 2018 and is living with the parents. Knowing the government, he'll probably still get a check.

And he's not disabled. He's just a lazy fuck.

He probably won't because he hasn't filed a tax return. He can still file the 2019 version and get his money. It'll take a while since he likely doesn't have direct deposit.
I believe you have to have made a minimum amount. You can't file taxes otherwise.

Mihos

Gold Member
May 10, 2009
steamcommunity.com

Why would he? He is completely uneffected financially.

MaximusPayne

Jun 6, 2013
United States
2. Yes, it looks like the $600 is in addition to the usual payment. Lower paid workers just seem to get the shaft on this one because you can't qualify for unemployment if you quit or get fired (in most cases).
This makes no sense. This seems like lower paid workers all get fired or quit. If you got laid off due to the rona virus, you qualify, period. So instead of getting the lowly payment you would have by the state's calculation of unemployment per week, you will be getting $600 extra per week. It actually turns out great for the "lower" paid worker that has the hardship.

Reactions: Mihos

Xtyle

May 25, 2006
U.S.A
This makes no sense. This seems like lower paid workers all get fired or quit. If you got laid off due to the rona virus, you qualify, period. So instead of getting the lowly payment you would have by the state's calculation of unemployment per week, you will be getting $600 extra per week. It actually turns out great for the "lower" paid worker that has the hardship.
That's actually not how unemployment works.

If you quit, I don't think in most or maybe all places you will qualify for unemployment.

If you are fired, you may not qualify for it (if the firing being your fault).

The regular unemployment contribution actually comes from the employers

So no, it doesn't mean an McDonald's employee could just quit or cause the company to fire em and get this 600 a week

Last edited:

MaximusPayne

Jun 6, 2013
United States
That's actually not how unemployment works.

If you quit, I don't think in most or maybe all places you will qualify for unemployment.

If you are fired, you may not qualify for it (if the firing being your fault).

The regular unemployment contribution actually comes from the employers

So no, it doesn't mean an McDonald's employee could just quit or cause the company to fire em and get this 600 a week
It's exactly how unemployment works. If you are laid off by no fault of your own(coronavirus/business closures). You will qualify.

The original statement I responded to made it seem like all low paid workers quit or get fired. Of course you don't qualify for unemployment from those circumstances.

Last edited:

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
Keep in mind it goes off adjusted gross income. My salary is over 75k. I checked my last tax filing this year and the adjusted gross income is just under 75k, so I should qualify for the full amount.

Article I linked in the OP said 1 time payment. Unless something changed this morning.
Yeah the AGI distinction is key. It brings my wife and I from being almost completely phased out based on total income, to sneaking in JUST under the threshold to get the max payment based on AGI.

Reactions: JORMBO

PKM

Oct 11, 2017
Personal question, and please don't take it as an attack. But why doesn't your brother stay with you if he's homeless?
Hes an addict. I let him once a few years back and took around 3 grand worth of stop and sold it and another 2 grand in cash.
Hes a liar and cheat and a hustler who's always on the scheme.

Right now hes staying in a Welfare supplied motel room with 5 other addicts.

Still my brother tho. I bring him leftovers and try to help him with social services.
Right now trying to get him into transitional housing via a mens shelter.

Reactions: and 3 others
Jan 2, 2011
The original statement I responded to made it seem like all low paid workers quit or get fired. Of course you don't qualify for unemployment from those circumstances.
But the original post I was quoting specifically said that lower paid workers will just try to get fired or quit so they can collect the higher unemployment payout. I responded saying you won't qualify if you get fired (in most cases) or quit. I didn't say all low paid workers quit or get fired. The vast vast vast majority are getting laid off or furloughed and would qualify.

MaximusPayne

Jun 6, 2013
United States
But the original post I was quoting specifically said that lower paid workers will just try to get fired or quit so they can collect the higher unemployment payout. I responded saying you won't qualify if you get fired (in most cases) or quit. I didn't say all low paid workers quit or get fired. The vast vast vast majority are getting laid off or furloughed and would qualify.
Ah, I see. Yes agreed 100%.

Apr 12, 2013
Is this saying that next year when I file taxes I will get less of a refund? Like this is just an advance payment on my refund for next year?

Here (I think) is the relevant part of that link I'm asking about:
So how does this work? Do I need to file anything to get my check? Technically, the checks are advances of refundable credits. Treasury will advance your check based on your most recently filed tax return (2018 or 2019 tax return). If you haven’t filed a tax return, the bill allows Treasury to use the information on your 2019 Form SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement, Form RRB-1099, Social Security Equivalent Benefit Statement.

Okay, I don’t understand. What is a refundable tax credit? The check acts like a refund you get in advance. When you file your 2020 tax return, the IRS will compare your income numbers. If you should have gotten more than you did, you’ll get a refund. If the numbers on your 2020 tax return are different from your 2019 tax return, I don’t expect that you’ll have to pay it back (as the bill is written now). Don’t worry: most taxpayers should get just the right amount.

To be clear with my question here's an example. Let's say that normally every year I get a refund of $5,000. With this stimulus I qualify for myself and 2 kids, for a total of $2,200. Does that mean that next year my refund will be $2,200 less than the $5,000 I normally get back?

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Sep 5, 2014
USA
Is this saying that next year when I file taxes I will get less of a refund? Like this is just an advance payment on my refund for next year?

Here (I think) is the relevant part of that link I'm asking about:

To be clear with my question here's an example. Let's say that normally every year I get a refund of $5,000. With this stimulus I qualify for myself and 2 kids, for a total of $2,200. Does that mean that next year my refund will be $2,200 less than the $5,000 I normally get back?
If that's true, this is going to suck for me. I pay in every year because I make too much.

Reactions: Mihos

Mihos

Gold Member
May 10, 2009
steamcommunity.com
Hes an addict. I let him once a few years back and took around 3 grand worth of stop and sold it and another 2 grand in cash.
Hes a liar and cheat and a hustler who's always on the scheme.

Right now hes staying in a Welfare supplied motel room with 5 other addicts.

Still my brother tho. I bring him leftovers and try to help him with social services.
Right now trying to get him into transitional housing via a mens shelter.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
Bill officially signed. Depending on what you may have been watching you may not have heard.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
1200 dollar dollar bills y'all

come to daddy
Hey, is there a way to get a direct deposit account into the system without filing? I thought you could go through the IRS website but all there is is Form 2015.

I'm not filing until the extension and have never done DD for returns before.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
Hey, is there a way to get a direct deposit account into the system without filing? I thought you could go through the IRS website but all there is is Form 2015.

I'm not filing until the extension and have never done DD for returns before.
Not that I know of. You can always try EFTPS and claim you're making an estimated tax payment towards your 2019 or 2020 tax and put an amount down. (like I dunno a 100)

But I would wait until next week. This is a huge logistical undertaking so methinks there will be a website that eventually goes up where folks can opt in and provide information.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: infinitys_7th

TwoDurans

Apr 23, 2011
I don't want to get too "bitch eating crackers" over Trump, but him writing his signature seriously looks like how a child would draw water. Also he signed the entire bill with one pen, handed that to Moscow Mitch, then grabbed pens from the box next to his that weren't used and handed them to everyone else that was around. Orange retard can't even get historic bill signings right.

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Jan 24, 2015
I don't want to get too "bitch eating crackers" over Trump, but him writing his signature seriously looks like how a child would draw water. Also he signed the entire bill with one pen, handed that to Moscow Mitch, then grabbed pens from the box next to his that weren't used and handed them to everyone else that was around. Orange retard can't even get historic bill signings right.

Reactions: OmegaSupreme

Zangiefy360

Cross Forum Drama ..........Queen
Aug 30, 2018
This is your take? Let me guess, you're the type to spell check people and tell them they're missing a comma.

• LOL
Reactions: Schrödinger's cat

OmegaSupreme

Apr 17, 2019
Yes this is some bitch eating crackers shit. Do you dislike his handwriting as well?

TwoDurans

Apr 23, 2011
Yes this is some bitch eating crackers shit. Do you dislike his handwriting as well?
Never gave much thought about it, but come on now. Watch this. There aren't that many w's in Trump.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
  • LOL
Reactions: TwoDurans

OmegaSupreme

Apr 17, 2019
Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: DeepEnigma