• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

White House Wants a Full Trial in the Senate on Impeachment

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
When the Democrats vote to impeach (and they will), it's come out that Trump wants a full trial in the Senate rather than the Senate merely dismissing the charges out of hand. Doing so would allow them to call the whistleblower, Schiff, the Bidens, and so forth to testify while allowing the Republicans to further the narrative that the House hearings were a fucking joke. They also want to draw this out well into next year, which would cause several of the Democratic presidential candidates to miss out on campaigning as they would be involved in a Senate trial. I don't think there's a chance in hell Trump gets convicted in the Senate (everyone knows this was a farce to begin with), but it's a ballsy move nonetheless. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see Schiff get torn apart on the stand.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I don't agree with Trump. Don't play with fire, even if it might make a joke out of your political opponents.

That said, I'm not even confident it will leave the House. Official articles of impeachment need to be drafted and voted upon (which means media headlines and subjective impressions will suddenly lose their weight) and then once we have the "final" version of the impeachment articles, they get voted on by the House, who will pick apart any inconsistencies to the best of their abilities.

Personally, I think the Dems will draft the impeachment, will fight over the wording, and then it'll fail in the House vote. Democrats will make a big show about how they still believe the president is guilty, but they'll admit that the impeachment itself isn't strong enough and some will vote against it. Schiff and Pelosi get thrown under the bus and the Democrats move to the next manufactured controversy.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
I don't agree with Trump. Don't play with fire, even if it might make a joke out of your political opponents.

That said, I'm not even confident it will leave the House. Official articles of impeachment need to be drafted and voted upon (which means media headlines and subjective impressions will suddenly lose their weight) and then once we have the "final" version of the impeachment articles, they get voted on by the House, who will pick apart any inconsistencies to the best of their abilities.

Personally, I think the Dems will draft the impeachment, will fight over the wording, and then it'll fail in the House vote. Democrats will make a big show about how they still believe the president is guilty, but they'll admit that the impeachment itself isn't strong enough and some will vote against it. Schiff and Pelosi get thrown under the bus and the Democrats move to the next manufactured controversy.
That's certainly possible. They may end up thinking Censure is a safer bet that they'll try to paint as just as politically damaging. Time will tell, but I just think they're too damn crazy not to go full steam ahead. They're like those crazy fucks in Mad Max Fury Road thinking they're going to Valhalla.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009

Senior White House officials, including Jared Kushner, met privately Thursday with a group of Republican senators to discuss an all-but-assured Senate impeachment trial, with participants discussing a potential two-week, abbreviated timetable for the proceedings, a senior Trump administration official told ABC News.

Six Republicans, mostly from the Senate Judiciary Committee, including Chairman Lindsey Graham, John Kennedy of Louisiana and Mike Lee of Utah met with White House counsel Pat Cipollone and acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney, among other senior officials, who were said to be in "listening mode."

"I don't know what appetite anybody has as for a long, drawn-out trial," Graham told reporters.
"There is no consensus. That's just an idea," the senior administration official said about the possible trial duration, as first reported by The Washington Post.
"I think two weeks was thrown out as more of an example, not a goal. It's not written on a stone tablet," one GOP aide to a meeting attendee told ABC News.

• Fire
Reactions: Tesseract
Dec 15, 2011
lmao keep posting threads in your right leaning forum, that'll show those dirty democrats!
lmao don't let those pesky facts get in the way of your misplaced narrative.

Not only is it risk, but it's further waste of taxpayer money and, regardless of which side of the fence you're on, I think people's tolerance for that will only extend so far.

DeSo

Banned
Dec 10, 2009
Australia
BBC - LEFT LEANING RUBBISH AND LIES

NEOGAF- REAL SHIT AND TRUTH

Can't wait for the ResetEra accusation.

Everyone Trump comes in contact with goes to jail, seems a bit weird.

Last edited:

DeSo

Banned
Dec 10, 2009
Australia
WHERE'S THE EVIDENCE?

I'm laughing at the depths you people will go to defend TRUMP.

Would you defend Pence like this? fucking Yikes.

Last edited:
  • LOL

CausticVenom

Apr 27, 2018
lmao keep posting threads in your right leaning forum, that'll show those dirty democrats!
Better than the previous users on this forum before they went to Reeee.

You know, the pedophile apologists? What are your issues with this thread?

Idiots don't become billionaires.

Last edited:

DeSo

Banned
Dec 10, 2009
Australia
Wait,

What if I inherited a billian dollars?

• LOL

Hotspurr

Jan 27, 2018
I think they should go for it.
- clear evidence of 2 quid pro quos of white house meeting and aid being held in exchange for investigations
- both investigations not having any merit based on US intelligence
- both investigations personally and directly related to political benefits to Trump
- Trump and Rudy carrying out policy diametrically opposite to well eetablished official Ukraine anti-corruption policy
- numerous seasoned government officials that are clearly bipartisan, who were directly involved, corroborating the above

By all means have the trial. Would love to see how they will defend all this. Also by all means feel free to challenge me on any of this. Happy to provide first hand proof of any of these points.

• LOL

DeSo

Banned
Dec 10, 2009
Australia
Michael Flynn, Roger Stone, Michael Cohen, Paul Manafort, and Rick Gates

Who's the common denominator

You morons

Patriots7

Jul 15, 2008

I mean, why not anymore. Nixon is looking down like "damn, why the fuck weren't my Republicans this loyal?"

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
When the Democrats vote to impeach (and they will), it's come out that Trump wants a full trial in the Senate rather than the Senate merely dismissing the charges out of hand. Doing so would allow them to call the whistleblower, Schiff, the Bidens, and so forth to testify while allowing the Republicans to further the narrative that the House hearings were a fucking joke. They also want to draw this out well into next year, which would cause several of the Democratic presidential candidates to miss out on campaigning as they would be involved in a Senate trial. I don't think there's a chance in hell Trump gets convicted in the Senate (everyone knows this was a farce to begin with), but it's a ballsy move nonetheless. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see Schiff get torn apart on the stand.

Looks like I called it :)
I think there is absolutely no way the house will vote for impeachment.
Sending it to the Senate is political suicide for the democrats and their upcoming campaign.
ESPECIALLY now that the republicans say outright that they will do a long and thorough investigation (on their terms this time).

I don't think there will even be a vote in the house. It will just fizzle out. And they will just have to deal with AOC going completely nuts about it.

Last edited:

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Not only is it risk, but it's further waste of taxpayer money and, regardless of which side of the fence you're on, I think people's tolerance for that will only extend so far.
It is risk but also opportunity.

You can't win big without taking a risk. And Trump has shown time and again he does not fear taking risks.

One comment though is the senate only planning 2 weeks for the inquiry. That sounds like a lost opportunity.
I say, you need to spend at LEAST 2 months. Or maybe they just say 2 weeks right now not to scare people away from backing their plan?

Last edited:

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Looks like I called it :)
I think there is absolutely no way the house will vote for impeachment.
Sending it to the Senate is political suicide for the democrats and their upcoming campaign.
ESPECIALLY now that the republicans say outright that they will do a long and thorough investigation (on their terms this time).

I don't think there will even be a vote in the house. It will just fizzle out. And they will just have to deal with AOC going completely nuts about it.
I wouldn't put it past Pelosi to cripple the Dem field of candidates for what she personally thinks is the greater good. The establishment has no love for Bernie and I'm not sure Warren is different enough for them either, so sidelining them would be their way of rigging the election while using impeachment as a good excuse to cover for it. I'd still love to know exactly what she was doing with Schumer, Dem power brokers and Pete Buttigieg when they all met in mid-April.

Zefah

Jan 7, 2007

This is all another reason why I don't think they will actually vote for impeachment in the House.

They really needed something to come out from the hearings that was equivalent to a bomb and got the public out in the streets calling for Trump's removal. That didn't happen, to be honest, and we're largely where we were before the hearings in terms of our understanding of the situation. We just have more details and nuance now.

Last edited: