• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Story (PS3) new? screens

king zell

20080628103841100.jpg
20080628103842916.jpg
20080628103843122.jpg

20080628103843135.jpg
20080628103843527.jpg
20080628103843655.jpg

20080628103844328.jpg
20080628103846575.jpg

20080628103842256.jpg

20080628103841780.jpg
20080628103842265.jpg

20080628103842724.jpg
20080628103842829.jpg

20080628103842821.jpg
20080628103842829.jpg

20080628103842834.jpg
20080628103843667.jpg

20080628103844504.jpg

20080628103844584.jpg
20080628103845597.jpg

20080628103846681.jpg

joey_z

Banned
Given the time this title has had you'd think it would look much better in the graphics department. Lost Odyssey>White Knight Story

Durante

Of all the non-photorealistic HD JRPG character styles I still like WKS' best.

Most of these screenshots seem to still be in that one area we've seen years (!) ago though. I hopy the recent confirmation of a FY08 release holds true.

joey_z said:
Lost Odyssey>White Knight Story
:lol

biocat

Those are all shots from the demo that was at the last Tokyo Game Show. Nothing especially new.

Looks nice, though!

Durante

Strange, I really like the character art. I would call it "understated" instead of "bland" (Compared to the overwrought design in many JRPGs)). Well, de gustibus non est disputandum.

Durante said:
Strange, I really like the character art. I would call it "understated" instead of "bland" (Compared to the overwrought design in many JRPGs)).

Yeah, the art and the character designs are pretty cool, it doesn't beat you over the head with "THESE GUYS ARE THE MAIN CHARACTERS", everyone looks like they're dressed appropriately in the world they inhabit.

de gustibus non est disputandum.

wat

Squash

Main guy sure has a big nose, and that token furry looking thing is pretty ugly.

Upon further investigation, that feathered edge on the minimap is gonna bug the hell outta me.

zoukka

BlockBastard said:
Yeah, the art and the character designs are pretty cool, it doesn't beat you over the head with "THESE GUYS ARE THE MAIN CHARACTERS", everyone looks like they're dressed appropriately in the world they inhabit.

It's not the overall art-style or the clothes. Theyre fine. It's the faces that creep the shit out of me...

20080628103842265.jpg

Squash

zoukka said:
It's not the overall art-style or the clothes. Theyre fine. It's the faces that creep the shit out of me...

20080628103842265.jpg

The video that AmMortal posted and that screenshot look way different for some reason. The video version looks pretty damn good.

Elios83

I think the pics are all from the TGS2007 build hence old.
But I guess the title will be shown again soon since it will be a big title of the japanese lineup this holyday season.

I know that saying this on GAF could be the end of me, but I've never been a fan of JRPGs. Howveer I quite like what I've seen of WKS, including the character design, with the exception of the chick with the pink hair. When I think feudal-type setting (e.g. knights), pink hair isn't the first thing that springs to mind. :D

commissar

AmMortal said:
I'll believe it because the quest setup leads to heavy scripting.

These pics are from a different build to the above video (TGS07?), as the girl has different hair in the video vs. the screenshots.

So what I can figure out from the game is there's discrete areas with separate quests per area a la FFTactics. Scenarios are heavily scripted, down to specific animations. However the combat is realtime, and the loading implausible.

Were there any hands on impressions from the showing? I only saw that video at the time.

Darkpen

Banned
what the fuck? What's with the downgrade? The original trailer looked freaking awesome, hell, the faces were brilliant in the original trailer. What the hell?

Gantz

Banned
Darkpen said:
what the fuck? What's with the downgrade? The original trailer looked freaking awesome, hell, the faces were brilliant in the original trailer. What the hell?

this always happens to games. they never look as good as their initial bullshots or fmvs for that matter. I expect the same of FFXIII.

Darkpen said:
... We've already had a new trailer after the original target trailer, why act so shocked?...

And the differences aint even that big, it's more like some minor art changes...

First trailer:
29c4cit.jpg

Still looks fucking awesome.

Darkpen said:

It's amazing you managed to spot a downgrade from these tiny screens. So tell me which elements of the game got downgraded? Faces have the exact same geometry and texturing btw.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Man I sure hope this game is gettting the help from Sony it needs. This one game has the potential to start a new HUGE franchise and give the RPG genre on the PS3 a boost...

Final Fantasy while great is long in the tooth. I would like to see a new Series start up and get popular for about 10 years now...

but the lack of ANYTHING on a title that looked this good back than tells me they are having some problem either in direction of the game or gameplay. Most likely the story which needs to be great..

Desi

I hope they did some more work on the hit detection. In the TGS gameplay the party sometimes didn't even make contact with the enemy (a good foot and a half away) but it still cleared as a hit.

Defuser said:
http://www.psu.com/media/white-knight-story/white-knight-story-ss-19.jpg

Ugh.
What's Ugh about it?

Desi said:
I hope they did some more work on the hit detection. In the TGS gameplay the party sometimes didn't even make contact with the enemy (a good foot and a half away) but it still cleared as a hit.
oO It's an RPG, not a fighting game.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i think it's a pretty gorgeous game.

any detes on the battle system? from a cursory glance at the wiki for the game, it sounds vaguely similar to final fantasy 12 with some tweaks. anyone know more about it?

Desi

Metalmurphy said:
oO It's an RPG, not a fighting game.
That doesn't matter. That doesn't change the fact that seeing characters wiff air and get still get hit is disappointing no matter what genre it is in. The only genre that can get away with that is MMO's.

Defuser said:
The pic I post looks a bit better. I guess it kinda look ugly without effects plus I don't recall seeing his face looks so damn ugly.
Well... I believe they're from the exact same video...

Tntnnbltn

Desi said:
Pokemon Stadium would break your heart.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
joey_z said:
Given the time this title has had you'd think it would look much better in the graphics department. Lost Odyssey>White Knight Story
I think the person questioning whether or not you've played LO was quite serious. I found the visuals in LO to be somewhat attractive at times, but the game had a pretty low level of detail on a lot of objects, bland lighting, a choppy framerate, and other technical hitches. It was not impressive. Blue Dragon was a much more impressive looking game (though it also had issues).

White Knight has a very solid appearance with a greater level of detail and will likely run at a smooth framerate as this is their own custom engine that has been in the works for a while.

Top Bottom