White liberals dumb-down language when speaking to minorities.

Bryank75

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2018
Ireland

An interesting bit of research that backs up my theory that many on the extreme left have narcissistic tendencies.

ssolitare

Manbaby: The Member
Jan 12, 2009
The team found that Democratic candidates used fewer competence-related words in speeches delivered to mostly minority audiences than they did in speeches delivered to mostly white audiences. The difference wasn’t statistically significant in speeches by Republican candidates, though “it was harder to find speeches from Republicans delivered to minority audiences,” Dupree notes. There was no difference in Democrats’ or Republicans’ usage of words related to warmth. “It was really surprising to see that for nearly three decades, Democratic presidential canidates have been engaging in this predicted behavior.”
Dupree and Fiske suspect that the behavior stems from a liberal person’s desire to connect with other races. One possible reason for the “competence downshift,” as the authors describe it, is that, regardless of race, people tend to downplay their competence when they want to appear likeable and friendly. But it’s also possible that “this is happening because people are using common stereotypes in an effort to get along,” Dupree says.
“My hope is that this work will help include well-intentioned people who see themselves as allies but who may be unwittingly contributing to group divides.”
I find myself doing this too when I talk to people on this forum. I'm actually doing it right now.

Last edited:

danielberg

Jun 20, 2018
I mean the video is kinda weird and "biased" but the actual study is real and done by libs themselves so what in the fuck lol

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
it makes total sense. if we are in a system of white supremacy then the white libs are part of that as well. a large part of white supremacy is the infantilizing of POC (ie. calling black men "boys") so while libs may attempt to be "woke" they are still from that same culture and are prone to falling back on the same behavior.

also see how often libs like the trash & ignore poor states like Mississippi for being dumb and backwards (got to get those swipes at the south in), while those are the same states with the largest minority populations.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
I do it with my white family members at times.

A couple of weeks ago I had to explain to my brother-in-law what property taxes are used for and why they go up or down. He is 38.

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
This is funny. I've seen this happen. They instinctively feel blacks are dumber than them. It's the same way I interact with foreigners who's English is limited.

Bryank75

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2018
Ireland
This is funny. I've seen this happen. They instinctively feel blacks are dumber than them. It's the same way I interact with foreigners who's English is limited.
Funny, my dad is a decent businessman but when I was a kid we were in France and asked for directions. As he pulled away he shouts out 'Gracias, Gracias!". No wonder the French aren't too fond of English speakers.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I saw Big Daddy talk this way in Django Unchained too. ;)

Last edited:

Blood Borne

Oct 30, 2017
I don’t need a study to show me what I experience virtually everyday, white leftists and their messiah complex. They believe that they’re wiser, more virtuous, more noble and caring than everyone. This mindset manifest itself in several ways, one of them is being a condescending and patronising dick especially when talking to non-whites. Another is that they try to force their ideology on you, because they believe they know what’s best for you, very colonialist-like.

JareBear

Gold Member
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
I’m skeptical because I feel like I don’t see this happening within my little “bubble of life experience” but I have to be open to this possibly being true in many cases.

I definitely have witnessed people “talk dumbed down” to people who don’t speak English natively and probably guilty myself.

As far as narcissism, that’s worldwide homie

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
This is the same far left that believes wholeheartedly that black people don't have drivers licenses or any form of ID, even though you have to have ID to even get a job...

PKM

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2017
It's because people with far left ideology see them as victims/less then.

They see ever POC as a poor soul that needs to be coddled...when 9 times out of 10 that POC is more educated and financially well off then them.

ssolitare

Jan 12, 2009
It's sad that nothing could be further apart than from right-wingers and the truth on this one.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I find the study results inconclusive: white liberals dumb down their language when talking to anyone they feel superior to, which is everyone.

Imagine being able to watch that video and finding it respectable..
It's sad that nothing could be further apart than from right-wingers and the truth on this one.
Imagine proving the study right in one short sentence. :pie_invert:

Yale was a good-enough name when it came to voicing their support of Blaisey-Ford's credibility, but not good enough when it comes to their actual academic research.

ssolitare

Jan 12, 2009
I find the study results inconclusive: white liberals dumb down their language when talking to anyone they feel superior to, which is everyone.

Yale was a good-enough name when it came to voicing their support of Blaisey-Ford's credibility, but not good enough when it comes to their actual academic research.
Oh I'm not taking about the study, I'm talking about people in here. In the videos introduction, and in the last minute or so of that video she started interjecting bullshit perspectives to suit her agenda, and low and behold in this topic many of your are doing the same thing.

It's kinda like adding an arrow to your quiver. But for Democrats it's a good learing experience.

In tracking the word choices made by white Republican and Democratic presidential candidates before white and black voters, her sample size was limited primarily by “the number of speeches in which Republican presidential candidates showed up for black audiences,” she said. The race of the audience was approximated by setting, at a black church for example, and by occasion, say the 40th anniversary of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.’s death.

What she found, by performing online text analysis of 74 campaign speeches over the past 25 years, was that white candidates who were Democrats used significantly fewer words about “agency or power” and more about “affiliation and communality” when addressing minority voters. There was no significant difference exhibited by Republican candidates.

The irony, as the paper notes, is that “Whites who may be more affiliative toward Blacks alter their verbal responses toward them in a way that matches negative stereotypes. Despite the patronizing behavior that they enact, these liberal candidates may hold more goodwill toward minorities.”

Last edited:

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014

I think white liberals tend to fetishise the non-white experience -- but they always do it from a distance.

Oct 26, 2018
Presentations and speeches are always catered to the audience. If the presenter isn't doing that, they are an idiot.

When I chat with fellow finance people at work, we talk one way and are fast. We totally get what we are discussing.

When we present to a group, we always have to dumb it down, use less acronyms and go slow, so hopefully the person who doesn't get it the most still gets it at the end.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
This is why I can’t be woke. I can’t dumb down my language any further

lil puff

Dec 1, 2017
As if I talk at work the same way I talk on the block.

Who uses curse words at a job interview. Of course people adjust. You are supposed to.

lil puff

Dec 1, 2017
When we were young, my mom dated this African man.

My brothers and I all developed this fake African accent when we spoke to him LOL

We laugh about it to this day.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018

I think white liberals tend to fetishise the non-white experience -- but they always do it from a distance.
yes the black experience is to be used so that white liberals can dress themselves in it. here we see Clinton using it on herself to give her some "authenticity", a quality owned by black people and desired by whites, in that outdated stereotype dynamic.

yet when confronted by a BLM protester, she doesn't want to talk on her level, she wants them out of the room. she sarcastically says "I've never been asked that before" before having security remove them from the premises.

Last edited:

Sacred

Aug 22, 2018
Its true, I need to use small words and speak like I'm speaking to a 6 year old when I'm talking to right wingers
Yep us right-wingers who have jobs, college degrees, and families vs moderate to extreme left that have no jobs and sit on the picket line all day waiting to be offended by something, while accepting their free handouts.

Last edited:

lil puff

Dec 1, 2017
Not surprised at all on this. But It's hard not to wonder what the presenter thinks about the intelligence of her audience with the way she was talking. Yeesh. Way to step on your point lady.
Yeah, it's kinda hard to frame it without hypocrisy.

It's not really an intellectual thing, it's just adjustment of dialect. I don't like the term 'dumbing down' because it does seem loaded with presumption.

Having said that, I hate when people talk to kids like their slow and dumb. I often wonder how that affects their development growing up. A friend of mine talks to her 10 year old only in these dumb short phrases "awgh you want food? Eat?" Kids are smart and understand things. You can say "Are you ready for lunch?" They will get it.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Not surprised at all on this. But It's hard not to wonder what the presenter thinks about the intelligence of her audience with the way she was talking. Yeesh. Way to step on your point lady.
Here is a better analysis of this study from a true leftie if you dislike the person presenting:

Who would have thought that white middle class liberals that obsess about race and victim-hood 24/7 would have issues interacting with other races?

Last edited:

12Goblins

Mar 1, 2017

How did what I said prove the study right? You can't just say shit that makes no sense lol

I don't know why right wingers can't just reference the actual study without embellishing it in a garbage video..

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Dec 13, 2016
I mean when people stare at you with a blank face after you say something normally, you're bound to tone down your vocabulary... And just about all base voters are pretty fucking dumb...

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
Some White Liberals also attempt to hijack others outrage or fight too. The feeling of superiority is rampant in progressives right now. At least in America

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
As if I talk at work the same way I talk on the block.

Who uses curse words at a job interview. Of course people adjust. You are supposed to.
Ok but generally you adjust up (the block -> job interview) not down (Clinton -> whatever that was supposed to be).

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
The reverse of this is probably true as well. Just watch Dave Chappelle's white characters he plays. White speech is seen as "job interview" speech, and too formal, uptight and nerdy.

I'm sure racism is part of it in a lot of cases, but really it's just two groups of people that on average do speak different. Even other black people get insulted for talking "too white" if they speak more formally.

Zangiefy360

Aug 30, 2018
For the white liberals and their ilk that subscribe to identity politics and social justice, it really comes down to the fact that they think POC are somehow defective and need to be saved from themselves. It's insulting to the concept of self-agency and that we're all masters of our own destiny.

It's super easy to see through these types. They get on their high horse, virtue signal, and are unable to see how racist and condescending they are to POC.

Topic: Voter ID
What SJW's are really thinking: Oh, POC's are too stupid and lazy to get a drivers licenses so we'll make sure they can vote without them. After all, they vote the same way I do!

Topic: TV Shows
What SJW's are really thinking: Oh, POC's are not creative enough to create good ideas and get them made, so we're obligated to cast them in roles that are already established. Because if we didn't they would never get representation!

Topic: Voting
What SJW's are really thinking: Oh, POC's don't know what's good for them. Kayne wearing a MAGA hat? He's an Uncle Tom! How dare POC's vote for who they want to. They're too stupid to vote for their own interests! They need to stay on the plantation and vote my way!

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
yes the black experience is to be used so that white liberals can dress themselves in it. here we see Clinton using it on herself to give her some "authenticity", a quality owned by black people and desired by whites, in that outdated stereotype dynamic.

yet when confronted by a BLM protester, she doesn't want to talk on her level, she wants them out of the room. she sarcastically says "I've never been asked that before" before having security remove them from the premises.
Yeah, the dishonesty is palpable. White liberals don't actually want to be involved with the non-whites they pretend to really care about. They just use them as pawns in their [true] battle against white conservatives. Flattering non-whites is just an act to make themselves feel better and ultimately gain more power.
For example, I think this is what is happening with the trendy white European liberals who defend and enable Islam to flourish in Europe – they have no desire to follow the Islamic way of life (quite the opposite actually), but instead seek to use the growth of Islam to defeat white European conservatives.

Sqorin Hammerfarf

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2018
Sometimes, politics seems like a chess match between the progressives and the racists. One takes pride in playing the white side, and the other tries to win by sacrificing black pawns to protect their queen.

hariseldon

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I definitely have witnessed people “talk dumbed down” to people who don’t speak English natively and probably guilty myself.
It depends on the level of English of the person you're talking to but given English is a ridiculous language in many respects it can be helpful to simplify it for non-English speakers. One thing I noticed living in Thailand for instance was that people would speak English but with Thai grammatical structures, knowingly or not, which helped Thais to understand with a lot less effort.

hariseldon

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yep us right-wingers who have jobs, college degrees, and families vs moderate to extreme left that have no jobs and sit on the picket line all day waiting to be offended by something, while accepting their free handouts.
*cough* hate to burst your bubble dear but I'm a leftie earning about double the national average and paying my taxes accordingly. Never striked, always worked, never claimed a penny in benefits. Try again without the prejudice.

hariseldon

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
White speech is seen as "job interview" speech, and too formal, uptight and nerdy.

Even other black people get insulted for talking "too white" if they speak more formally.
Highlighting two key quotes there. I wonder, how much harm this mentality does to black communities. Consider that speech and language are deeply integrated into cognitive development, that language influences how we think (for instance, some languages lack formal distinctions between past, present and future tenses which cause some issues with time management skills and create a rather YOLO outlook) and one has to wonder if black people are actively being harmed by this and the anti-intellectualism it represents.