• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White lines as rain, why haven't devs improved this yet?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Done right you wouldn't be able to see it. Often in movies the filmmakers will add milk to the rainwater so it shows up on camera, which is probably where the "white lines" depiction of rain in games comes from in the first place.

btags

I don't think it is physically/optically correct or whatever, but the rain in KI 2013 on Thunder's stage looks really cool. I am sure someone can find a good video, gif, or webm showcasing it as I am terrible with that stuff.

I would love to play a game where rain is handled properly. I guess it is too resource intensive to do convincing rain, with all the water particles falling in 3D space.

In the 16 bit era I liked A Link to the Past's depiction of rain.

Karak

Agreed.
Forza Horizon 2, and for that fact racing games seem to be doing it rather well. But I agree wholeheartedly.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Really hard to simulate, that's a lot of particles we're talking about, even before we get to them interacting with stuff in the environment. And like someone mentioned above, the effect is exaggerated from what your average rainfall looks like IRL.

Same reason we still see a lot of pre-baked paint scratching on cars and texture/maps of droplets on cars in racing games.

I liked the rain in Infamous ss

2477569-infamous_secondson_nospoil-5.png

As already mentioned, rain isn't really visible unless it's a real downpour. Trying to mimic realistic rain would probably be too resource intensive for the value that it adds as well.

Burt

Best part of the Arkham Knight reveal was definitely how crazy the rain looked. Improvements are coming.

DOWN

Banned
When it rains, it isn't white lines falling from the sky. Puddles look awesome now, but the falling rain still looks stupid.

Any examples of falling rain done right?

GROUND ZEROES
2610812-5_reflex+mode.jpg

Very visible droplets when slow motion kicks in. No real problems with it during full speed either.

DRIVECLUB does it great. Watch Dogs has a good slow motion rain.

Piers

To me, falling rain done right would be rain that adds to the atmosphere a lot - though I do agree it can look goofy and out of place in some games.

Heavy Rain did a good job, imo.

Abelian75

Neo Member
It's an interesting point, but I think this is more just an issue of stylizing something. Like mentioned above, isn't it actually rather hard to see rain most of the time?

Shit, I started typing all confident that you can't see rain very easily, but man, I'm so conditioned by photos that now I'm thinking "of course you can!" I have to wait for it to rain again to confirm. :)

Certainly it's not that easy in a light rain, because I've had numerous debates with people about whether or not it is raining when looking out a window (particularly when you can't see the ground from the window).

Krejlooc

Banned
Really hard to simulate, that's a lot of particles we're talking about, even before we get to them interacting with stuff in the environment. And like someone mentioned above, the effect is exaggerated from what your average rainfall looks like IRL.

Same reason we still see a lot of pre-baked paint scratching on cars and texture/maps of droplets on cars in racing games.

This is the correct answer.

SJRB

Gold Member
I hate poor rain effects. Take Black Flag for example. The wet texturing looks good, but the rain itself looks like a two-dimensional overlay; there's no depth whatsoever. Watchdogs absolutely nails rain effects. I have a billion screenshots but the irony is that in screenshots the rain does look like white lines. In motion however it looks aces, you can see gusts of wind moving through the rain, lighting reflects on the raindrops. The rain gives off the illusion of being three-dimensional. They're particles, and using focus perfectly shows each individual raindrop.

The game has several intensities of rain too, I really love the heavy rain/storm, city gets all foggy because of how dense the rain is. Super cool.

CREMSteve

I think most games are actually nailing it pretty well. This generation has gotten water almost perfect as far as puddles and large bodies go. But yeah, that Shadow Fail...lol

"No...look at my face!"

killzone-sf-resized-600.png

Toxi

Banned
Guys, be happy your rain effects are better than Demon's Souls'. The Valley of Defilement has one of the shittiest rain effects I've seen in a video game.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member

I never played that game but I don't particularly like that gif. It looks like there are boxes of rain. Sorta makes me think of old N64 games where you could walk a few feet out of the box of rain and have nothing falling, and a few feet further and you're in the rain again. Also, whoever posted those Watch Dog pictures, the falling rain does not look like it has any depth whatsoever. It looks very flat. The puddles on the other hand look great.

Top Bottom