• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"WHITEBOY" by Tom MacDonald - How do you feel about what he is saying here?

Grinchy

Banned

I'd be very interested to know what people think about the message of this song. Is he a racist neo-nazi white supremacist bigot? Does he make good points? Is his commentary so outlandish? What do you think?

"I refuse to feel ashamed cause of my pretty blue eyes"

Is this a racially charged parody, I thought.

But then this, talking about how anger fueled this song:

Culture shock and social media woo!

Otherwise his flow is bad, the hook is poor, and the song is forgettable. If he was American I'd say that he's fragile.

Last edited by a moderator:

highrider

Banned
Look it’s cool to be white, you just can’t be unapologetic, or have any charisma, or show cultural or national pride, or stand up for yourself, and you must always silently admonish yourself for what you ancestors did, and apparently we are all still a highly organized collective looking to lord over all people of color even in the present day. Yep, it’s pretty sweet 😔

The song is basura, I couldn’t even really run it.

Last edited:

Snoopycat

Banned
I got about a minute in. Whatever message he's trying to spread is completely drowned by his total lack of talent. He should take tips from these guys

Gun Animal

pretty trash but looking forward to seeing how this guy's position develops, essentially being a matter of 'how long can you sit on an electrified fence'

Last edited:

JDB

Banned
Shit post is shit.
Look it’s cool to be white, you just can’t be unapologetic, or have any charisma, or show cultural or national pride, or stand up for yourself, and you must always silently admonish yourself for what you ancestors did, and apparently we are all still a highly organized collective looking to lord over all people of color even in the present day. Yep, it’s pretty sweet 😔
Poor white people. Such a rough existence.

Guiberu

Good song. Good message.

Bad people are bad, irrespective of their skin colour.

Lumping all people of a specific skin colour into a group and labeling them, is bad.

Never heard of the guy before this, but have subsequently found a few other songs of his I quite like. Notably "Helluvit", and "Castles".

I'm not even a rap fan.

Some key lyrics, for those attempting to suggest that this chap is somehow a racist :

"My parents brought me up to treat everyone as an equal"

"I would never hate a man for what god gave him in pigments
And I would never plot against him just because he is different"

"Fuck a nazi, fuck a white supremacist"

"Ivory or ebony, 45 or 17, we all bleed the same"

"Hows a straight white male in 2018 bitching
You're making me the villain by demonizing my race
For things I didn't do and decisions I didn't make"

"I'm not the white devil, neo-nazi, cop tryna pull the trigger"

"White people that you hate aren't your neighbors or lawyers
They're the Rockafellers, Rothschilds, Bushes, and Royals
They're the people who monopolize the water and oil
And injected your communities with drugs 'til they spoil
Got no patience for nazis, I think they're better off dead
They're fighting hatred with hatred makin' the hate more intense"

Jenenser

hes not wrong in the things hes saying.

but his flow is bad., the lyrics bad... i wanna shut him of after 10 seconds...

That Rapping for jesus thing is better in every way. fuck it has me in tears x'D
thx@ snoopycat :D

Last edited:

manfestival

don't like his flow and delivery. His message is fine. American people will take the message the wrong way as it always happens since this is America and it wouldn't be unless someone is pissed about something.

OH-MyCar

His message is well-intentioned but it's just going to be "cringe" fodder for the exact people perpetuating what he's ranting about. An already corny "Let's try a little harder to get along and understand each other" rap coming from a white guy is just a minefield for lazy Twitter adhominem jokes.

Apocryphon

Poor white people. Such a rough existence.

There are six and a half times more white people living in poverty in the US than black people. The percentage of black people living in poverty is more than double, but twenty three million whites living in poverty is no joke. Almost thirty million white people in the US qualify as poor or low income. Sure, you have a far better chance at getting by and being comfortable in life if you're born white, but the whole "poor white people, it must be terrible..." is misguided. The song linked in the OP is dreadful, but at least part of the message is sound; white people in general are not the enemy.

OH-MyCar

There are six and a half times more white people living in poverty in the US than black people. The percentage of black people living in poverty is more than double, but twenty three million whites living in poverty is no joke. Almost thirty million white people in the US qualify as poor or low income. Sure, you have a far better chance at getting by and being comfortable in life if you're born white, but the whole "poor white people, it must be terrible..." is misguided. The song linked in the OP is dreadful, but at least part of the message is sound; white people in general are not the enemy.

This is the exact reason Trump won. I hate Trump, but there is a fundamental misunderstanding by the far left that willfully conflating these two for some sort of half-baked slacktivism and sense of moral superiority doesn't have any repercussions. I grew up in Appalachia from a line of farmers too poor to own any slaves (I can literally provide the documentation on that). Were any of them racist? I don't know, but recent DNA testing told me that one of them was 100% West African due to the little-known "Melungeon" population of the Appalachian Mountains; where people were so poor they didn't adhere to the standards you'd see in the wealthier parts of the south. I've lived in parts of West Virginia where there are no minorities, not because of any kind of inherent racism, but because the white people who are stuck there are so poor and with such a large family that they can't afford leave. When these people have rich college kids tell them that they're born with privileges that others don't have, it doesn't reflect their reality whatsoever. While I personally feel that voting for Trump was not in their best interests, I understand their anger and sense of helplessness. Moreover, I feel like nothing has been learned and we'll continue to willingly paint an entire group of people with an extremely large brush, irrespective of any conflicting information or nuance... You know, almost like a racist would do.

Last edited:
Im so tired that everything nowadays is about racism or sexism. It feels like everyone is rooting for their home team, instead of trying to defeat the walls and barriers, we're actually making them taller and taller.

TFGB

Lyrics aside, as a rap track and in its production and presentation it felt cringeworthy. Was that made by the same production team that gave us Rebecca Black’s ‘Friday’?

Last edited:

It's almost as if the real enemy (of most people) is an economic one.

Most meaningful conversations about inequality should hinge on rich man/poor man. (I'm talking about the economic divide that is ever-widening.) Unfortunately, poor man loses the plot in his/her day-to-day existence, trying to eke out a survival. Rich man knows this.

Future

I’d never listen to the song more than once, but the message sums up what I’m sure a great number of people think sure. Usually people don’t disagree with stuff like this because he’s not defending Nazis or putting down any ethnicity at the same time. He’s also not suggesting that there is no more racism or sexism or whatever. All he’s saying is that he’d like to not be demonized for things he didn’t do and has no intention of supporting in any way. If anyone has a real problem with that I’d say they are on the fringe extremes of an ideology.

Maybe the only counter argument to this is I’m sure people would want to correct him and say that most are not trying to demonize him in this way and are being misunderstood.

lil puff

It's almost as if the real enemy (of most people) is an economic one.

Most meaningful conversations about inequality should hinge on rich man/poor man. (I'm talking about the economic divide that is ever-widening.) Unfortunately, poor man loses the plot in his/her day-to-day existence, trying to eke out a survival. Rich man knows this.
I mostly agree.

Some frustration, though does come from being guilty of simply being a person of color, regardless of wealth. Targeting an entire group because of that frustration is hypocritical and wrong, but I do agree that most people don't intend to do that.

When I have to go to an HR meeting on sexual misconduct and the target seems to be directed at males, I don't take any offence. I know what they mean, and I understand that the intent is not to suggest all men are dogs. I try to understand that frustration... being a male, it will not always be apparent to me what others are dealing with every day.

I live in a somewhat shady area. If an outsider said "oh the folks in that area are blah blah whatever" I know they are not referring to me, so it does not bother me at all.

When people suggest "all" to refer to some frustration they may have experienced by others, I don't think they mean it literally, but they should perhaps try to express it more sensitively.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

The song is basura, I couldn’t even really run it.

I hope you realize that all of that is false right? White people are doing that all across America just fine.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It’s an opinion, much like your own.

No they are just wrong. If it's raining outside at 3:00 pm, someone can't just say "oh look it's a dry night out right now". There are facts and then there are opinions. White people are allowed to have charisma (Justin Timberlake), show cultural pride (Steve Austin the WWE wrestler), and be unpologetic (the PRESIDENT OF THE USA Donald Trump). And the only reason why Trump doesn't rate higher is for the obvious. If he dialed it back about 40% (and when I say dial it back I mean with the public cursing, getting into scandals, and showing he doesn't know that much relative to other presidents ) he'd have a higher poll rating score.

highrider

Banned
No they are just wrong. If it's raining outside at 3:00 pm, someone can't just say "oh look it's a dry night out right now". There are facts and then there are opinions. White people are allowed to have charisma (Justin Timberlake), show cultural pride (Steve Austin the WWE wrestler), and be unpologetic (the PRESIDENT OF THE USA Donald Trump). And the only reason why Trump doesn't rate higher is for the obvious. If he dialed it back about 40% (and when I say dial it back I mean with the public cursing, getting into scandals, and showing he doesn't know that much relative to other presidents ) he'd have a higher poll rating score.

Hmm, Justin is an irredeemably spineless wimp. The Janet incident alone pretty much illustrated that clearly, now he’s on his Man of the Woods trash. I guess he’s a decent dancer..🤔

Steve Austin? Is redneck a cultural thing? I mean, I’m white and I just see it as a lifestyle. I’m talking about real culture, European root type culture. That’s generally accepted if you’re the Irish dude from Ireland, but you’re really encouraged to be homogeneous in America.

Trump, I mean at a certain point you have to acknowledge the guy speaks for the legions of quietly seething white peoples, he’s definitely unapologetic, but he’s also incapable of taking responsibility, which you need to have empathy for things.

Trump supporters are largely single issue voters or lifelong conservatives that would never vote anything else. It sounds more dramatic to think it’s a cabal of rich whites looking to stick it to people of color, but it’s more about stealing your money, always has been. Keep the middle class and working poor at each others throats and rob the country.

In Politically Correct entertainment still takes a backseat to lecturing. He had two good bars though, lyrics lack overall.

"This House" is his good song because it has delivery and edge, actual entertainment value.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Is that being 100% entiiiiiirely intellectually honest though? You're using different people for each attribute you're describing, and still including concessions and qualifiers at some points of your post, right?

How about charisma, cultural pride, unapologetic, successful, and 58% approval ratings after two terms with a gridlocked congress at all once? Barack Obama. :goog_geek:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
'I'm not Racist' and 'This Is America' both got accolades from the media for bringing up real issues and speaking truth to power and really letting us all know what's really going on.

Doubtful that the reaction will be the same for this, even though it is the exact same thing, just coming from a different portion of the country's citizens.

The line "Don't tell me how to see it through my white eyes" is a perfectly valid outcry against how the West is acting. Students and citizens are literally being instructed by the powers-that-be on what they should be offended by and what they are not allowed to be offended by.

I won't say "imagine if..." because there are plenty of historical examples where oppressing a group's ability to advocate for themselves and engage with the public discourse didn't end well for that society.

'I'm not Racist' and 'This Is America' both got accolades from the media for bringing up real issues and speaking truth to power and really letting us all know what's really going on.

Doubtful that the reaction will be the same for this, even though it is the exact same thing, just coming from a different portion of the country's citizens.

The line "Don't tell me how to see it through my white eyes" is a perfectly valid outcry against how the West is acting. Students and citizens are literally being instructed by the powers-that-be on what they should be offended by and what they are not allowed to be offended by.

I won't say "imagine if..." because there are plenty of historical examples where oppressing a group's ability to advocate for themselves and engage with the public discourse didn't end well for that society.

Many white people tell other white people how they/to feel through their white eyes. It's done constantly on this forum.

Are you just mad that people are pushing back at all?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Many white people tell other white people how they/to feel through their white eyes. It's done constantly on this forum.

Are you just mad that people are pushing back at all?
Mad? Unsure what you mean.

Also, show me examples of white people telling other white people what to see on this forum. I'm curious to see a real-life example that you believe fits your description.

way more

It's ok. A bit broad and I'm probably squinting to see "both sides," but it's handy primer for how some whites view blacks and how black people view them back.

Edit: LOL, Wrong video. I thought you were talking about this.

White boy is crap.

Mad? Unsure what you mean.

Also, show me examples of white people telling other white people what to see on this forum. I'm curious to see a real-life example that you believe fits your description.

The ever present and constant attacks on the leftists subscribing "victimhood" mentality. Take out minorities and you have women, take out women and you have race traitors who don't agree and are verbal against white male "victimhood". Well on these forums they just get called racists despite also being white.

The point is, people really arent that interested in other people.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm conflicted.

I'm a white male and I understand the anger in the video. But at the same time I have deep seeded thoughts that my father and his father (and probably his father before him) taught and I know are wrong but it takes me a second to push out. But it's not about different races or religions. It's about French Canadians. My dad hates them with a passion.

Not too weird if you follow what most of Western Canada experienced under Pierre Trudeau.

Apparently during the time of his reign and he was passing the NEP, his train was passing through western Canada, there were protesters and he flipped them the bird. You may think this is insignificant, but that act got passed down to the next generation. Even the next.

I don't know. How am I as a white english speaking male to have an opinion on anything?

Ontario and Quebec can win a federal election. They don't give a flying fuck about anything west of the Ontario border.

Hah! I've been living in the US now for 20 years and this shit still pisses me off.

Edit: I believe that everyone should have food, clothing, shelter, and medical help. I will not be swayed from this. When I said this on old GAF I saw, "I'm disabled and need internet to communicate with people!"
Motherfucker, go outside and talk to your neighbors like everyone in your position like they all did before you before the internet. If you're having issues, there are a ton of people in the world that want you to succeed without you having to spend hundreds on a therapist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom