• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who could have predicted that so many PlayStation 1st Party games would be selling 10 , 15 & 20 million copies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllBizness

Banned
I think it sets bad precedent for upcoming games as sony will cancel other titles which did not perform well in their dictionary. For ex DAYS GONE got canned as it did not do well.
Huh? Days Gone released and went on to sell 5 million if I'm not mistaken. Turned a profit too I think, pretty sure they may bring it to PC at some point as well.

My exact thoughts this is Nintendo like. Even when PS2 was selling like hotcakes Sony games wasn't selling 15 million copies.
I think it's unfair to put it on the same level as Nintendo titles when many PS titles were sold in bundled with other first party games together with discount and lower price than Nintendo titles.

91zXzCCzN8L._SL1500_.jpg

MEGAPACK2.png

ps4_hits_bundle_2018.jpg

double11-202010-my-megapack

EiXAh0pXkAAVatz.jpg

It's not a bad thing since Sony is very generous and aggressive with their sales promotions and discounts, while Nintendo Switch only getting overpriced special edition bundle that made no difference than buying a new console plus a new game as the bundle price was around $359.99.

MK8D limited bundle was the only discount bundle from Nintendo and still expensive than Sony Playstation official bundle. There were few retailers exclusive bundles with similar price.

12367272-9544725914915655-4d82.jpg

If games like BOTW, Smash Ultimate, Pokemon Sword and Shield, Animal Crossing, Super Mario Odyssey, MK8D, SMP, and etc were receiving the same bundle treatment as PS bundle then the current ltd sales for those games are likely 10-15 millions higher. Those games are still retaining the same original pricing as when they were released on the market while PS games are already getting official price drop for multiple times.

FrankWza

Exactly that`s my point. Deathloop wasn't even close to the Sony games when it comes to the expensive non internet advertisement. I didn't see a single billboard, i didn't see a single tv spot, no radio ads, no Sony truck, no nothing. Please explain me why high quality PS3 games only reached like 5-7% of the user base while some high quality PS4 games did >15%. Marketing sells games, more marketing sells more games. It's that simple, that's why marketing exists.
I don’t know about where it was advertised, but we all saw A LOT of that game. It’s been a running joke around here for a while now. As far as 5-7% vs 15%, IF that is accurate I would probably start by looking at active IPs and exclusives during each generation. If PS3 had more then there’s a big chunk for your answer. Otherwise we’d have to dig deeper. Either way, it’s more than just marketing. Sure it’s necessary and it helps. But some of these sales numbers are insane and speak to 25 years of quality and consistency that people are accustomed to.

I think it's unfair to put it on the same level as Nintendo titles when many PS titles were sold in bundled with other first party games together with discount and lower price than Nintendo titles.

91zXzCCzN8L._SL1500_.jpg

MEGAPACK2.png

ps4_hits_bundle_2018.jpg

double11-202010-my-megapack

EiXAh0pXkAAVatz.jpg

It's not a bad thing since Sony is very generous and aggressive with their sales promotions and discounts, while Nintendo Switch only getting overpriced special edition bundle that made no difference than buying a new console plus a new game as the bundle price was around $359.99.

MK8D limited bundle was the only discount bundle from Nintendo and still expensive than Sony Playstation official bundle. There were few retailers exclusive bundles with similar price.

12367272-9544725914915655-4d82.jpg

If games like BOTW, Smash Ultimate, Pokemon Sword and Shield, Animal Crossing, Super Mario Odyssey, MK8D, SMP, and etc were receiving the same bundle treatment as PS bundle then the current ltd sales for those games are likely 10-15 millions higher. Those games are still retaining the same original pricing as when they were released on the market while PS games are already getting official price drop for multiple times.

People keep referencing these bundles. Sony weren't giving you God of War or Spiderman for free with those bundles. You might have gotten like a $10 discount but that's about it

AllBizness

Banned
It's been on PC.

Rumor is Sony decided not to fund a sequel as it underperformed in their eyes. The bar is set high.
I think that's just pr so when the sequel is announced it's big news and lots of Twitter chatter and buz on social media will come from that. You dont walk away from a fanbase of 5 million. Let me put it like this many of Sony's 1st party block busters sold less then that on their 1st game.

I don’t know about where it was advertised, but we all saw A LOT of that game. It’s been a running joke around here for a while now. As far as 5-7% vs 15%, IF that is accurate I would probably start by looking at active IPs and exclusives during each generation. If PS3 had more then there’s a big chunk for your answer. Otherwise we’d have to dig deeper. Either way, it’s more than just marketing. Sure it’s necessary and it helps. But some of these sales numbers are insane and speak to 25 years of quality and consistency that people are accustomed to.
Yeah, we saw a lot of Deathloop....on the internet and forums like GAF, so just us few core gamers and freaks not the vast majority of the casuals. I never that it's just 100% marketing, but marketing is by far the biggest factor and in case of Spider-Man the franchise together with the popularity of the movies. I could agree with you more if we were talking about Nintendo. They have crazy sales numbers and attach rates WITHOUT this agressive ultra high budget marketing for their games and they also can keep up their game prices while Sony's highly advertised games drop super fast to keep them selling.

jakinov

- Social media and sites like Reddit; you have gameplay snippets and screenshots trending all the time promoting the game
- I think googled helped too. when you googled best games, now google will show you cards with these
- Anecdotal but I noticed that every time I go to a store the PS4 was bundled with one of these games. From PS3 days bundles were temporary and you wouldn't really find them again later on. So if you selling millions of bundles a year you add on to these numbers pretty quickly.
- With digital you get a lot more spotlight on sales on old games, old school flyers aren't going to waste a lot of advertising space to show you speicific game is 30-50% and you'd actually have to go to the store to see what's on sale and hope they have stock; Remedy had a presentation on this about how with digital they get consistent revenue by doing promotions every once a while. for their old games and they get great lifetime revenue.

Robb

Gold Member
It’s not though.

aren't Nintendo's in the 30s millions?

But it's not?

I’d argue it’s similar. Nintendo games that sell a lot usually land at 10-25M. Going past 25 is more of an anomaly. Here’s the number of games in each category listed (by a quick Wiki search):

N64
10-25M: 1
>25M: 0

GB
10-25M: 4
>25M: 2

GC:
10-25M: 0

GBA:
10-25M: 2

Wii:
>25M: 5

DS:
10-25M: 9
>25M: 1

WiiU:

3DS:
10-25M: 7

Switch:

That's what Sony management dreams of, but it is actually pretty far, and with games that require a lot of money and time to be made.
Yeah that’s a good point, I’d assume there’s definitely a much bigger investment in the Sony titles compared to Nintendo.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
Days Gone did well, not far from launch it sold more than all previous Bend Studio games combined according to its co-director. Sony was happy with the game according to him.

Not greenlighting a sequel to be developed right after the first game doesn't mean they weren't happy with it and doesn't mean the game will never get a sequel. It can be due to many reasons, like them already having too much sequels under development at that point and wanting a new IP instead leaving the sequel for later.
The director basically said it was because of sales.

I mean...when the game is good and gets god tier reviews it will sell. I think the surprising thing is that how consistently successful every 1st party release was.

For a lot of people God of War is regarded as the best single player game of all time they ever played in their life.

I've loved every second of it and also made a following off it as well on youtube by making guides.

Bloodborne is another of my big favorites and my #1 title of all PS4 exclusives.

TLOU 2 has phenomenal visuals and gameplay but the story is doo doo compared to the first. Still a game I deeply enjoyed.

Never played Spiderman, simply because I just do not like Spiderman himself and don't really have an interest.

Wolverine however...I am all aboard.

Corndog

Banned
Your point was, these games are reaching these sales levels because they’re marketed more than others. Deathloop has been shoved down our throats at every turn. It ain’t selling 10 million and it has nothing to do with marketing.
Sonys Spider-Man game isn’t the highest selling superhero game of all time because it’s a Spider-Man game, it because it’s INSOMNIACs Spider-Man. Despite being on one platform, it’s the highest because the quality is there. You’ll see the same thing with Wolverine vs the origins game that was multiplat (and I actually liked that game)
If that’s true why didn’t Insomniacs games sell this well before acquisition?

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’d argue it’s similar. Nintendo games that sell a lot usually land at 10-25M. Going past 25 is more of an anomaly. Here’s the number of games in each category listed (by a quick Wiki search):

N64

GB

GC:

GBA:

Wii:

DS:

WiiU:

3DS:

Switch:

Yeah that’s a good point, I’d assume there’s definitely a much bigger investment in the Sony titles compared to Nintendo.
Ok, but I’d also state that most Sony games land between 5 and 15 million and that any game going above 15 million since the PS1 gen (including PSP and Vita) is an outlier.

Only Wikipedia, but only 4 Sony games from the PS1 to PS3 era (including third party exclusives like Crash and Spyro) surpassed 10m sales (literally just scrapped past it) and all 4 of them are Gran Turismo games.

The PS4 is an outlier in that multiple first party games have finally breached 10m.

Last edited:

SSfox

I don't even care about the games selling, all i care is that those are great games, now if they're selling very well that's for sure good plus but honestly i don't get why people "I'm talking here about Gamers not Businessmen"pay too much attention and details about sales.

Last edited:
Really? So why does Hollywood pump out sequel after sequel with no regard to reviews? Companies exist to make money.

Genius take. No they exist to deliver products and services.

Sony especially wants those products to be well recieved, and it's not just Sony. Why do you think we've heard publishers tieing developer bonuses to metacritic scores?

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Sony 1st party has been pretty amazing since 2009.

Uncharted Series blew up
God of War 3 and 2018
The Last of Us 1&2
Bloodborne
Spiderman etc
Horizon
Shadow of the Colossus
Ghost of Tsushima
Demon Souls

And newer games like Returnal

To think many people were writing them off before 2009 and saying they can’t match Gears and Halo.

Right now Sony needs to concentrate on getthing a JRPG and WRPG. A 1st person shooter, a Fighting game and some smaller titles In the mix.
They seem to have a few multiplayer game projects so thats fine

Glad Nintendo has made a comeback too.

I think it is more "bad open world fatigue". Cuz personally, I don't think Days Gone measures up to any of their other open world offerings.

Yeah I agree. Bend’s next game has to be better otherwise I see them getting the axe lol. Compared to the rest of the games and studios they are lagging. I tried to like days gone but it just didnt feel top quality like the rest of Sony’s games

Kokoloko85

I don't even care about the games selling, all i care is that those are great games, now if they're selling very well that's for sure good plus but honestly i don't get why people "I'm talking here about Gamers not Businessmen"pay too much attention and details about sales.

Because the better the sales, it means more money for new games. Sequels to games we love and also it gives studios chances to take more risks and make new games too

Kokoloko85

"Worried about" would indicate a future state. We are talking about Sony not green lighting a sequel to Days Gone. Maybe learn to read.

Im glad they didnt green light a sequel.
It was the only 1st party game I stopped playing.
Plus Sony can’t just do a million sequels at once, they need some studios to make something new. Spiderman 2, GOW Ragnarok, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon 2 were all obviously gonna get sequels before Days gone and deservedly so

onesvenus

N64

GB

GC:

GBA:

Wii:

DS:

WiiU:

3DS:

Switch:

Can you now add the number of consoles sold? I feel like that's an important metric to be able to compare

yurinka

The director basically said it was because of sales.
No he alluded to the metacritic score being the biggest offense
The co-director and creative director left just 6 days after they shipped the game so he didn't know anyhting about the sales or the greenlight process of the sequel, praised Sony many times -like the other one- and said what he said about metacritic is a sentence that without knowing the context and the rest of the interview gets misunderstood.

When asked how the took the reviews and criticism said that 'metacritic is everything for Sony, if you're the creative director of a franchise and your game comes in the 70 you're not going to be the creative director of that franchise for very long'. Just after that he gets asked if he don't thinks that sales is more important or that than metacritic? He says again (several times he mentioned he was on the creative side of the game so he didn't have any idea of the business part or the sales part of the game) that 'hey, that's just my opinion, I have to ask those guys. Honestly I don't know what they'd say. But I think that if you're Disney you can't affort to make a shitty movie even if a bunch of people goes to see it'.

But again, it's importat to watch the full interview (at least the first half or so before they start replying stuff from the chat) because the press maliciously put the sentence out of context, etc. He later tried to explain it on twitter and so on and even made a video about it. He didn't meant that if he left or that if the sequel wasn't greenlighted the reason was the metacritic. That sentence was his personal opinion and said several times that he only was involved in the creative side and had no idea of business stuff like budget, sales, greenlights and so on. And specially regarding sales of DG1 and DG2 greenlight process because it was done while already he was out of Sony.

The other guy in charge (codirecor, lead game designer) , who was more in charge of the business side of the game -not only in the creative side- and who staid in the studio for longer after DG release before leaving, said they were happy with sales because it sold more than any previous Bend Studios games combined in a few months, praised SCEA bosses, Druckmann, Jimbo etc. And regarding the DG2 pitch process and greenlight he couldn't give details but said something like it isn't everything lost or something like that, hinting at that they may do the sequel but later (he mentions that he'd liked to do it using UE5) or that the new IP already will have many things they wanted to put in the sequel like a coop riders gang

Jeff -unlike Garvin- was there when they -well, he- pitched the sequel and didn't get greenlighted and later pitched the new IP that got greenlighted but he left to Netherrealm because -like Garvin- development of games like Days Gone is too long for him and he starts to be old so he wants to make at least a couple of shorter games before retiring. John mentioned he did crunch during 6 years for Days Gone because he liked to crunch but he knew it wasn't good for him.

Both Days Gone and Death Stranding sold 5 million. Not good enough for Sony.
You're wrong.

Days Gone achieved over that in a few months (according to his codirector 'Days Gone sold more than all the previous Bend Studio games combined') and also mentioned Sony was happy with its sales. And after that it continued selling and got ported to PC where until now sold around a million more.

Death Stranding is on track of becoming the best selling Kojima game ever. Sony got happy enough to greenlight its Director's Cut and according to Norman Reedus, its sequel.

Last edited:
I love the success Sony is having, as my exclusive box I jump into their games twice a year and have a blast for the week or two it last. Only downside to their success is everyone wants others to recreate their kinds of game which I disagree with. I love the cinematic games but I also love that every game isn’t trying to recreate a cinematic experience. A game being move movie like isn’t automatically a good thing imo. Let them do what they do well but let’s not pressure other companies into doing the same.

yurinka

Yes, 1 in 10 people buying a game is the same as 1 in 2 people buying it🤦‍♂️
Platform A has like 20 super sellers every year and like 50 indies/AAs with nice sales, platform B has 2 or 3 super sellers every year and like 15 indies/AAs with nice sales. Platform A sells 2 or 3 times more games than platform B. Sales in platform B get focused in fewer supersellers, so each one of them end selling more/having a higher percentage of game units sold per console.

Vaelka

Normie games that are basically interactive movies, no wonder.

All I really wish is that they weren't thrown in your face constantly and didn't get so much artifical hype.
It's kinda annoying how predictable most awards are and how it's more an emphasis on popularity contests than actual originality and depth.
And also how basically it's what AAA games are now, it feels very stale and repetitive.
Wish they'd take more risks and make more '' video gamey '' AAA games too.
And uh, more imaginative art directions and styles ( still wish HZD looked more like the concept art ).

And imo a lot of those games tell better stories and are more fun to play too, they're just not as pretty if you like realistic graphics.

Robb

Gold Member
The PS4 is an outlier in that multiple first party games have finally breached 10m.
Yeah, that’s exactly what I (and I assume the OP) mean. Sony first party games usually don’t sell this much.

Can you now add the number of consoles sold?
Feel free to look it up and add it. That should be easier to find than the number of games.

The best selling is the DS (around 150M?) though. Not sure about the order of the rest.

Last edited:

Warablo

In the early console days only multiplayer games were hitting those numbers Cod, Halo, Gears, but as the hobby grew and production value/storytelling improved single player games could sell, but its a major risk if it doesn't become a hit. Open world kinda saved lower budget single player games.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
This really helped playstation over the past couple of gens. Having blockbuster IP is paramount to succes in this biz.

DeepSpace5D

Forbidden West is the next major success coming up, I have no doubt now with over 70 hours put into Zero Dawn.

If H:ZD reached over 10 million copies as of 2019, Forbidden West will reach 15+ million easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom