• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who here has played Gungrave G.O.R.E.?

I bought it last night because it was on sale + I couldn’t sleep.

The game left a very very bad first impression. Like, holy shit.

Sluggish movement, very janky animations, obnoxious music, amateurish UI, very basic level design, enemies pop practically out of nowhere, the camera zooms out when Grave rolls or uses manual attacks which looks and feels sloppy IMO, I mean I could go on.

I gave it another shot this morning, and it sort of started clicking? Like, the story finally actually started around Stage 6/7, the stages actually have some pleasant-looking neon lighting, there was a cool cutscene, I’m finally getting the hang of the gameplay/controls, and it can actually be pretty fun. Also, thank goodness I bought this game after they patched in automatic firing, because I would NOT put up with having to manually fire after every 4 bullets.

I think it’s decent enough to keep playing, but yeah. No one should pay more than $10 for this game lol.

Anyone else have thoughts on it?

Sorry, didn’t see an OT for this

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I love it. Its objectively bad in many ways but it doesn't really bother me. I can turn the game on and I'm just shooting shit nonstop. Every object in the game explodes lol. Its a great game to mix in with other stuff since its just all action and no down time. Im buying it to own when it gets down to $15-20. Have it on GP now.

I wouldn't really recommend it to people since you have to have a certain specific taste for this game. But I love how unapologetic it is. Your super is soccer kicking a giant skull bullet into enemies. Every stage starts with "Kick their Ass" on the screen.

I will say the game has a surprising amount of moves and upgrades. Also hard mode can be a fun challenge as well. For me its like a lost action game from 20 years ago and I'm happy to have it.

Last edited:
Someone missed the PS2 era.
I literally play my PS2 games, whether they’re remastered ports, or the PS2 versions themselves, regularly.

Maybe this game is “PS2 era” in the sense of more basic level design, but that’s about it. The rest of the game’s problems can be attributed to seemingly amateurish devs + not enough budget.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

I will give it another shot if they manage to make the controls more fluid than they were when the game launched. You have to be able to have somekind of a buffer time for your inputs in this sort of game or you are screwed.

//DEVIL//

1 Hour. it's all I could handle before I give up on how bad its. and I do love Gungrave in general. but the PS2 gameplay coated in a PS3 graphics and being sold as a PS5/XSX game is just fucking NOOO

Good thing I tried it on game pass. imagine getting so hyped about it and buying it.. oh man I will be crying a river to this day.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I really like this game. It's absolutely a PS2 game with an Unreal Engine 4 skin, but there's something charming about that, like they've updated the controls a bit but it stays so committed to the original vision of this series and it works inasmuch as the series ever did.

It is absolutely not for everyone, it's super linear repetitive, and kind of jank. But I feel like it pulls off what it was going for.

rkofan87

Gold Member
I love it. Its objectively bad in many ways but it doesn't really bother me. I can turn the game on and I'm just shooting shit nonstop. Every object in the game explodes lol. Its a great game to mix in with other stuff since its just all action and no down time. Im buying it to own when it gets down to $15-20. Have it on GP now.

I wouldn't really recommend it to people since you have to have a certain specific taste for this game. But I love how unapologetic it is. Your super is soccer kicking a giant skull bullet into enemies. Every stage starts with "Kick their Ass" on the screen.

I will say the game has a surprising amount of moves and upgrades. Also hard mode can be a fun challenge as well. For me its like a lost action game from 20 years ago and I'm happy to have it.
me as well but 50$ is to much at 30$ i will get it on ps5.
ps yes i know its on gp but the ps5 is my 1 console.
ps ps yes i have all 3 and a steam d.

Last edited:

Arsic

Gold Member
This is the only game I’ve ever played literally 2 minutes and went “nope”, and uninstalled . I played the original gungrave on ps2 and enjoyed it, plus I love trigun.

This game makes any game that got shit on this year (Babylons fall, Gotham knights) look like GOTY because it is abysmal donkey shit to just TOUCH let alone spend anymore time with than I did.

Last edited:

Banned
just like the original Gungrave on PS2 this game is just really bad...
but like the original it has things about it that people like...

that's basically it. yeah it's shit, but can be brainless fun if you are able to ignore it's flaws

ACESHIGH

Banned
It's a bad sixth gen game with a new coat of paint. But these are the games you get gsmepass for. You try it and if it's not up your alley no big deal.

anthony2690

Banned
I bought it last night because it was on sale + I couldn’t sleep.

The game left a very very bad first impression. Like, holy shit.

Sluggish movement, very janky animations, obnoxious music, amateurish UI, very basic level design, enemies pop practically out of nowhere, the camera zooms out when Grave rolls or uses manual attacks which looks and feels sloppy IMO, I mean I could go on.

I gave it another shot this morning, and it sort of started clicking? Like, the story finally actually started around Stage 6/7, the stages actually have some pleasant-looking neon lighting, there was a cool cutscene, I’m finally getting the hang of the gameplay/controls, and it can actually be pretty fun. Also, thank goodness I bought this game after they patched in automatic firing, because I would NOT put up with having to manually fire after every 4 bullets.

I think it’s decent enough to keep playing, but yeah. No one should pay more than $10 for this game lol.

Anyone else have thoughts on it?

Sorry, didn’t see an OT for this
Automatic fire got patched in?

May finally give it a go now.

The manual during sounded like a nightmare as I suffer with RSI.

Well, I beat it. The CG cutscenes were pretty but the rest of the game was total shit.

1. Story was literally just “stop the SEED/stop the bad guys”
2. Hilariously bad animations
3. Bad voice acting outside of Quartz and Bunji
4. Did the game even have a “polishing” phase? It’s so buggy/glitchy.
5. Enemies appear out of thin air so it starts to get annoying when enemies that can destroy your shield in 1 or 2 hits start being commonplace
6. It’s the same thing over and over and over and over again for like 8 hours
7. Who the hell thought adding platforming to this jank fest was a good idea?
8. Melee combat is the most janky thing I’ve ever experienced

One of the worst games I’ve ever played. I might boot it up here and there just to rewatch the pretty cutscenes. That’s it.

3/10

Last edited:

Neolombax

I played the few Gungrave games on the PS2 and at the time, what drew me in was the design and graphics (they were cell shaded at the time I think), so it was unique in that sense. The gameplay was not really good, I remember the game being quite hard, mostly due to the controls being sluggish. But at the time, the action was bombastic, the character had a coffin which could transform into over the top weapons, the teenage me was all about it. I'm surprised not much has changed since, it looks to be the same, with updated graphics.

Roberts

It's like a videogame equivalent of a very bad (that is not completely aware of it) but ultimately entertaining movie.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
One of the worst games I tried in a long time. I turned it on and turned it off about 30min later and deleted it from my Series X.

And don't come at me with the "it's the ps2-era, you don't understand." I had a ps2 and I don't remember anything being as shit as this. And if that means I misremember, than I gladly keep it that way.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's just mindless fun, trying to critique it is like like saying the 2000's scooby doo films are bad for not being Oscar worthy.

Top Bottom