• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who here plays with subtitles on when gaming?

I seem to be addicted to it. Always have it on
Allows me to understand what they're saying when there is ambient chatter going on

Dysun

I always leave them on as well. In games they aren't distracting due to all the other HUD elements usually present

pakkit

Banned
It's wrong not to.

I get really peeved when subtitles don't show up for a conversation I'm eavesdropping in on (e.g. GTA pedestrian chatter).

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
All the time. I like reading. Plus sometimes there's other shit going on and you can't hear the character, subs help.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Never for anything in English. Games are really bad about pacing subtitles with conversations. Winds up ruining the moment when you read stuff far in advance of them actually appearing in game. I read very fast too so the issue is compounded.

Iksenpets

Banned
Always. I find it hard to consistently understand dialog in game without them since you're focused on other things, and unlike a movie, you don't always have a close up on an actor's face with accurate lip sync to help you out visually.

Matty77

Always on. I am usually listening to something else, but even when I am not I leave them on.
As I have said before and will probably end up saying again at some point in the future I actively avoid games without them.

How would you do it? I'm curious

Ideally letting you configure them in a menu so you could set a size/placement that suits the player. Lots of newer games have tiny UI text that extends to tiny subtitle text, especially when playing on a television that sits at a distance.

Card Boy

Banned
Always, i even do it for movies and shows. It helps me remember names and places, cuts through shitty audio and makes dialogue easier to follow. Every game should have it for deaf people aswell, AC1 was a failure because of it's no subtitles.

Nah, I usually wear headphones when I'm gaming. I also notice that I focus on the subtitles instead of the action when I have them on.

I do turn them on if there is dialogue I can't understand though.

Kilvas

Ever since I couldn't hear what the characters were saying at the end of Red Dead Redemption because of a random storm, I always play with them on.

Got Xenoblade for 3DS, opening cutscene has subtitles, *during gameplay* (start > options > subtitles > off).

Main reason being that I find it hard not to read subtitles when I want to focus on the cutscene.

I usually do. Even with English games.

Sometimes characters are voiced with thick accents, and the subtitles help me ensure I'm understanding all the dialog right. Other times it's a game where there's so much action and sound effects in the background that it can just be too difficult to understand what a character is saying on top of it all.

I turn them on all the time. Usually I have a hard time understanding what people are saying. But also I do manage to catch other conversations I don't even hear.

border

Oftentimes the subtitles will display dialogue that is ambient or too faint to be heard amongst the other in-game sounds. Rarely does this yield essential or crucial information, but you get more of the flavor bits game designers put into a world.

For Assassin's Creed Unity, I changed the spoken dialogue to French and left on the English subtitles, since Ubisoft were too cowardly to actually include French accents on the characters.

I mostly do since I'm playing them in English even though I'm not a native English speaker. So I don't understand everything and subtitles help me.

Springy

Off if I can help it. Most games implement subtitles terribly anyway, and I don't have any issues with disability or accessibility that would be aided by them.

entremet

I do because most gaming sound mixes are horrible.

The BG noise/music tends to muffle the dialog.

Only a few studios do this well, but not enough for me to stop using subs.

Oftentimes the subtitles will display dialogue that is ambient or too faint to be heard amongst the other in-game sounds. Rarely does this yield essential or crucial information, but you get more of the flavor bits game designers put into a world.

For Assassin's Creed Unity, I changed the spoken dialogue to French and left on the English subtitles, since Ubisoft were too cowardly to actually include French accents on the characters.

how good is the french dialogue?

Matty77

No sound? Man you're missing a lot of immersion?
Beyond non-gameplay reasons that some people may have legitimately everyone is different. Not only do I not find sound aiding that aspect for me, there are a lot of video game specific things from bad voice acting, repetitive sound effects, ost's that do nothing for me, and licensed music that outright annoys me that a lot of the time for me sound is immersion breaking.

Top Bottom