• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Who is America's Worst President?

Worst American President

• Andrew Johnson

Votes: 15 5.8%
  • James Buchanan

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • Herbert Hoover

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Warren G Harding

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donald Trump

Votes: 124 47.9%
  • Richard Nixon

Votes: 15 5.8%
  • John Tyler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Franklin Pierce

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other (Specify)

Votes: 65 25.1%
  • Woodrow Wilson

Votes: 23 8.9%

• Total voters

QuantumZebra

Dec 5, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Wilson is the beginning of the modern day "Progressive" movement which is pure trash.
My vote goes Obama though.
Dubya was way worse than Obama, though. Nothing in modern history can top the damage Iraq & Afghanistan did from an economic and citizenry standpoint. So many friends of mine fucked up for life over wars for oil.

Woodrow Wilson is easily the winner of this IMO, though, because income tax has been a burden on Americans for over a century, now. Nothing else, not even the war on drugs, can compare.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
Heck of a job, Brownie!

AppleBlade

Dec 6, 2008
Connecticut
No accomplishments . . . anemic economy at the end of his 2nd term despite ample time to improve it, etc.

Not the worst, but he was as bad as Bush, if not worse.
I think some of you are downplaying the economic crisis Obama inherited and how the country recovered from that. I graduated college in 2007 and was job hunting and also started investing so I was reading a lot about the economy at the time and the predictions of where are country was heading were quite dire. Our entire banking system and the housing market were on the verge of absolute collapse. Look at most of the major metrics (especially Jobs numbers and the stock market) from the day Obama took office to the day he left and every single rational minded person would have taken that performance with a big smile on their if it was offered in 2008.

Reactions: Madonis and edify

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
I think some of you are downplaying the economic crisis Obama inherited and how the country recovered from that. I graduated college in 2007 and was job hunting and also started investing so I was reading a lot about the economy at the time and the predictions of where are country was heading were quite dire. Our entire banking system and the housing market were on the verge of absolute collapse. Look at most of the major metrics (especially Jobs numbers and the stock market) from the day Obama took office to the day he left and every single rational minded person would have taken that performance with a big smile on their if it was offered in 2008.

The economy wouldn't have improved dramatically six months into Trump's term if the Great Recession was still dragging it down at the end of Obama's term. Obama should have had 2-3 years of that at the end of of his presidency, but once it recovered it stayed in the same mediocre position. Obama was even adamant that it would never really get better, that manufacturing wouldn't return.

Reactions: HeresJohnny

SpartanN92

Sep 7, 2012
Kentucky, it’s not as bad as Australia
I thought people attributed that to FDR.
No it was Wilson. He created the federal Income Tax, and was part of the founding of the failed League of Nations. He is widely considered the father of Progressivism.
He is the antithesis of the Madisonian model.
A great book on the subject is "The Conservative Sensibility" by George Will. It is a compare/contrast of Madison and Wilson and how that applies to Modern Liberals and Goldwater Conservatives of today.

Ailike

Mar 10, 2013
How could you not include Woodrow Wilson. Dude basically forever destroyed out country by creating the Federal Reserve system under his Administration.
Yeah. Destroyed. Life sure does suck now. BRB going to take my turnip soup off the charcoals.

You can be hyperbolic in threads like these, but don't make it ridiculous.

Irobot82

Apr 21, 2012
South Florida
Yeah. Destroyed. Life sure does suck now. BRB going to take my turnip soup off the charcoals.

I guess it's a matter of scale. We went from one household incomes for people to have a nice life, car house, family of three to two incomes minimum and still just getting by. Maybe I was a bit hyperbolic but he was still a shitty president.

The dollar has lost what now... 99% of its value?

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
Added Wilson to the poll, you guys make a good case.

Wilson is the beginning of the modern day "Progressive" movement which is pure trash.
I don't know where you get this. Wilson was a segregationist KKK sympathizer.

Last edited:

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
andrew johnson and james buchannon were WAY worse than trump
trump is by far the worst president in my lifetime though
trump is like the modern day harding. still a terrible president, just not the worst

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
That makes him worse, not better.
Yeah, I think SpartanN92 SpartanN92 is confusing progressivism and liberalism in the more classical sense.
andrew johnson and james buchannon were WAY worse than trump
trump is by far the worst president in my lifetime though
trump is like the modern day harding. still a terrible president, just not the worst
I picked AJ, for what it's worth, but some of the parallels are pretty striking. Loudmouth narcissist known for long rambling tirades, weak stance on white supremacists, pissing off both sides of the aisle, defying congress and getting impeached...

Trump is better at rallying his people, though, where Johnson totally lost the base. But for that same reason he also gets away with shit Johnson never could. Like what Johnson got impeached for wouldn't even be a scandal for Trump.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheContact
Aug 11, 2019

You should read the book, The Creature from Jekyll Island. Highly recommended

The federal reserve and fractional reserve banking is a direct gateway to the endless wars and artificially inflated economy that includes endless wars for our friends in the military industrial complex.

Reactions: infinitys_7th

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
curious as to why Obama should be put on the list of worst presidents
Obama for president in my lifetime

Built the “cages” at the border that another president got blamed for
Deported more immigrants than any other president
Drone bombing the shit out of everyone killing innocent civilians ( it is estimated up to 90% were unintended casualties)
just to name a few....

Last edited:

cd_jakevas

Aug 28, 2019
I voted other, FDR was by far the worst.

If he was in good health and coming off a WW2 victory, no telling how many more terms he would have served.

Reactions: nyr88nyg

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
Obama for president in my lifetime

Built the “cages” at the border that another president got blamed for
Trump caught shit for Steven Miller's zero tolerance child separation policy, not for detention of unaccompanied minors, which is what Obama did.
Deported more immigrants than any other president
Misleading, the classification of deportations was changed under the Obama administration to include border apprehensions when it didn't previously, which makes it look like a huge increase, when in reality it wasn't.

Drone bombing the shit out of everyone killing innocent civilians ( it is estimated up to 90% were unintended casualties)
just to name a few....
But you got that one right.

I voted other, FDR was by far the worst.

If he was in good health and coming off a WW2 victory, no telling how many more terms he would have served.
So terrible he would have been voted in as many times as the people allowed!

Last edited:

Axelotl

Aug 1, 2019
Trump.

But Woodrow Wilson is maybe in hindsight another level of problematic.

Trump is just embarrassing on so many level.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
There is a good reason why the two term limit was an unwritten rule. I guess you feel the same way about Putin?
Putin murders his political opponents. FDR was just a popular president who abided the law as written.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Apr 3, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
For me, it's either Trump (Muslim mishandling, Mexico, immigrant politics in general, COVID flipflop, the Puerto Rico embarrassment, oligarchic tendencies, him being a puppet for long stretches, the whole election debacle, his dicksucking of dictatorships, list goes on and on) or Bush (Iraq alone was just too much). I picked Trump here.

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
Trump caught shit for Steven Miller's zero tolerance child separation policy, not for detention of unaccompanied minors, which is what Obama did.

Misleading, the classification of deportations was changed under the Obama administration to include border apprehensions when it didn't previously, which makes it look like a huge increase, when in reality it wasn't.

But you got that one right.

So terrible he would have been voted in as many times as the people allowed!
I got all of them right and your definitely being disingenuous and delusional when a quick google search can find many stories to back it up.
Stop lying to make to yourself look smarter than you think you are, it’s not working

Pumpkin Seeds

Jul 13, 2018
I think Woodrow Wilson definitely qualifies. Terrible fucking human being all around, and he was the real start of America's decline as a land of liberty.

No accomplishments, numerous scandals hid by the media because "So HiStOrIc", lied about being against interventionism, damaged race relations by dramatizing shit like Trayvon Martin's attempted murder of George Zimmerman, anemic economy at the end of his 2nd term despite ample time to improve it, etc.

Not the worst, but he was as bad as Bush, if not worse.

Basically Obama the candidate was nothing like Obama the President.

Press went to sleep for 8 years and the public still thinks of the wonderful orator and not the actual things Obama did.

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
I got all of them right and your definitely being disingenuous and delusional when a quick google search can find many stories to back it up.
Stop lying to make to yourself look smarter than you think you are, it’s not working
The pictures you see of children in detention centers from the Obama era are almost 100% unaccompanied minors, not children who were separated from parents. Under Obama children were only separated if they believed the adult accompanying them was a threat to their safety. This is pretty uncontroversial.

The thing Trump took shit for was a policy instituted in 2017 that lasted only a few months, where ALL children were being separated from their parents, specifically as a display of cruelty to discourage border crossings.

That policy was begun and ended under Trump. Comparing it to Obama's policy, if you indeed do know and understand that difference is completely insane.

danowat

Aug 30, 2014
Trump.

He never made America great again, he made it worse.

He never drained the swamp, he made it worse.

onipex

Jan 3, 2008
For me it is Reagan .

Reagan ( Very corrupt administration, Fueled the Irag-Iran war and really the whole Middle East crisis, partly responsible for the rise of Osama Bin Laden, bad economic policies put millions out of work, gutted the middle class, ignored AIDS for too long, fueled the illegal drug crisis, lead to Bush, Bush Jr, and Trump)

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
My bottom five in no particular order: Andrew Johnson, Woodrow Wilson, LBJ, FDR, James Buchanan.

FDR and LBJ probably would be the two worst if I had to pick due to the long ranging ramifications of what they put into place. But you could definitely make an argument for Wilson too.

Anyone saying Trump, Obama, or Bush Jr. suffer from severe recency bias and don't know history. Though in my opinion Trump was easily the least bad of those three. It'll be interesting to see how history looks back on Trump. Probably depends on who is writing it as always.

The other two of those three most recent were pretty bad though, don't get me wrong, especially Obama for the reasons infinitys_7th infinitys_7th stated at the end of page 1. Probably in the next tier above the five I stated.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: nyr88nyg

DESTROYA

Jan 1, 2011
USA
The pictures you see of children in detention centers from the Obama era are almost 100% unaccompanied minors, not children who were separated from parents. Under Obama children were only separated if they believed the adult accompanying them was a threat to their safety. This is pretty uncontroversial.

The thing Trump took shit for was a policy instituted in 2017 that lasted only a few months, where ALL children were being separated from their parents, specifically as a display of cruelty to discourage border crossings.

That policy was begun and ended under Trump. Comparing it to Obama's policy, if you indeed do know and understand that difference is completely insane.
Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
It'll be interesting to see how history looks back on Trump. Probably depends on who is writing it as always.
It's difficult to imagine that a twice impeached, unpopular one-term president will be remembered kindly by historians.

In fairness, it's a different conversation than assessing the long term impacts of a president's policy, but with the arc of the Trump era complete it's pretty clear what story will be written:

"The outsider who rose to power on nationalist and xenophobic rhetroric who failed to lead during the pandemic and, got voted out of office, and tried to overturn a democratic election."

Those are the the essential bullet points of his legacy and I can't imagine those that reduce our history to theme and narrative will try to squeeze a redemption arc into the gaps of that narrative.

The last part especially is going to be hard to justify without wholesale swallowing the conspiracy stuff, which is not something historians are going to do.

Hulk_Smash

Jan 8, 2014

23 trillion in debt. We will never recover from that. We will eventually default on our loans and fed workers can say goodbye to their retirement and everyone sucking on the tit of welfare will have their money dry up. Not to mention whole segments of the military getting laid off en masse.

When it happens, not if but when, it will make what happened to Greece in 2010 look quaint. It will lead to a true overthrow of the government (as opposed to the old flabby overweight tourists that “stormed” the Capitol the other day).

All because we took ourselves off the gold standard which allow us to print money whenever the interest rate for the loans we have become too great.

Last edited: