• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who Is Mark Cerny, The Man Behind PS5?

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
The amount of hype this guy gets... Obviously he has a big hand in the end result of the consoles but you are aware he doesn't do this alone right? There is a whole team of engineers. This is Steve Jobs kind of worship

Last edited by a moderator:

Hostile_18

Banned
The amount of hype this guy gets... Obviously he has a big hand in the end result of the consoles but you are aware he doesn't do this alone right? There is a whole team of engineers. This is Steve Jobs kind of worship

Could it be true!? 😬😭

Hmar6sc.jpg

POEBqG7.jpg

Last edited:

B_Boss

No worship necessary. Caught wind of this article, I know Cerny to be one (of many) significant figures in console gaming history and thought I'd post here. Would be great to see articles on others as well but I did not see those articles today, I just caught this one about Cerny. You're barking up the wrong tree. You should email the source's webmaster and let them know how you feel.

Last edited:

redfirm

Banned

YOU MUST BE FUCKING KIDDING. do you have any idea what he has done for the gaming industry? he is a legend.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
No worship necessary. caught wind of this article, I know Cerny to be one (of many) significant figures in console gaming history and thought I'd post here. Would be great to see articles on others as well but I did not see those articles today, I just caught this one about Cerny.
Yeah this was actually the wrong topic to say this, since it's just a decent article, good post. I was just thinking this for a while how much credit he gets for stuff where there's a whole team behind.

Sorcerer

No, I didn't realise this. I thought Mark Cerny designed and built ever single PS4 by his own hands. Thanks for letting us all know.

Every team needs a leader to lead them. Mark Cerny is that guy. Steve Jobs was someone who would push people to tears to get what he wanted done, not really much of hands on tech guy. Where would have Steve Jobs been if he had never met Woz?

Last edited:

nowhat

I mean, compared to Spencer he does much more. He arguably does have a way bigger say in the hardware that eventually materializes - he may not have a trendy "yeah I'm a gamer" T-shirt, but he knows his shit. Not to mention his contributions to games such Crash Bandicoot and Marble-fucking-Madness, not that you younguns would know anything about the latter.

(And Knack. Yay, Knack.)

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, compared to Spencer he does much more. He arguably does have a way bigger say in the hardware that eventually materializes - he may not have a trendy "yeah I'm a gamer" T-shirt, but he knows his shit. Not to mention his contributions to games such Crash Bandicoot and Marble-fucking-Madness, not that you younguns would know anything about the latter.

(And Knack. Yay, Knack.)
Let's not make the assumption on my age. I've played crash bandicoot on the PlayStation. Also I agree that he has done way more for gaming than Spencer, but my comment wasn't about anything Microsoft. Just that I'm pretty sure the guy can start a cult and a lot of people would follow.

nowhat

The amount of times I heard/read his name and the amount of times they wrote articles about him is fucking pathetic. He’s not doing everything ALONE! I don’t care how much he has a hand in something, he’s not doing it ALONE. Kutaragi didn’t get this much praise for fuck sake...
...but at the same time, replace Cerny with Spencer, or Kojima, or Taro, or Miyazaki, or... I think you get the point. Ultimately it is the team leader that gets the most credit, for better or for worse. Kutaragi hasn't been really active in the "scene" for a decade at least (and while people certainly were online then, they were not to the extent as people are now), so it's apples and oranges.

(and you shouldn't fuck sake, it's better when you drink it - you may want to warm it up beforehand though, depending on the variant)

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
The amount of times I heard/read his name and the amount of times they wrote articles about him is fucking pathetic. He’s not doing everything ALONE! I don’t care how much he has a hand in something, he’s not doing it ALONE. Kutaragi didn’t get this much praise for fuck sake...

We have 10 Phil Spencer threads a week. All he does is PR talk, usually contradicting himself. Cerny gets a tiny fraction of the attention (because he doesn't seek it out like Phil), while doing countless more for the industry.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
...but at the same time, replace Cerny with Spencer, or Kojima, or Taro, or Miyazaki, or... I think you get the point. Ultimately it is the team leader that gets the most credit, for better or for worse. Kutaragi hasn't been really active in the "scene" for a decade at least (and while people certainly were online then, they were not to the extent as people are now), so it's apples and oranges.

(and you shouldn't fuck sake, it's better when you drink it - you may want to warm it up beforehand though, depending on the variant)
Shouldn’t happen too. Never said it should nor agreed with such act
We have 10 Phil Spencer threads a week. All he does is PR talk, usually contradicting himself. Cerny gets a tiny fraction of the attention (because he doesn't seek it out like Phil), while doing countless more for the industry.
Articles about interviews he makes? Normal. Its gaming news. PR talk is part of the job when you’re a head of something. No problem in that

I have a problem when someone praises him alone. You get the rest of the point

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Decent article but nothing for the PS5.

Let's be honest, nothing Cerny has done will matter when he announces a 9 tflops PS5. His legacy depends on what he does with the PS5. If he somehow manages to go toe to toe with MS engineers and launches a console with more tflops, more bandwidth, and faster SSD speeds then he will go down in history as one of the greatest system architects of all time.

MS has shown what it takes to put 12 tflops in a console. A massive 405mm2 die and a PC like console design, and I'm guessing a lot of money. Does Cerny have that budget? Even if he does, can he get HBM, 14 tflops and a 5GBps SSD in a console that costs the same? That's going to be his biggest test.

Even if he comes close to breaking even with xsex specs, his legacy will take a hit. If some nameless, faceless engineers over at a bloated MS corporation can make the same spec'ed console like Cerny, then where is this genius everyone is talking about?

Steven Spielberg doesnt do everything ALONE.
Steve Jobs didnt do everything ALONE.
Conan O'Brien doesnt write all of his jokes.
Kojima doesnt do everything ALONE.
Ken Kutaragi didnt do everything ALONE.

Read the article. He had an idea and he went to Sony with it and he was the chief architect.

Mista

Banned
Steven Spielberg doesnt do everything ALONE.
Steve Jobs didnt do everything ALONE.
Conan O'Brien doesnt write all of his jokes.
Kojima doesnt do everything ALONE.
Ken Kutaragi didnt do everything ALONE.

Read the article. He had an idea and he went to Sony with it and he was the chief architect.
No shit? I know Cerny’s work very well and I NEVER said he isn’t a genius by the way.

quickwhips

Shouldn’t happen too. Never said it should nor agreed with such act

Articles about interviews he makes? Normal. Its gaming news. PR talk is part of the job when you’re a head of something. No problem in that

I have a problem when someone praises him alone. You get the rest of the point
Vawn is an idiot he wont understand anything. Cerny is ok but crash is ok but i love marble madness.

Kumomeme

competent leader/ lead designer/director etc. play important role in a team.No matter how good the team is, still need someone capable to lead them.Obviously properly capable person, not just dead weight who know only to talk and dumber than rest of the team member.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
No one does anything alone. Cronaldo doesn't. Messi doesn't. Steve didn't. Gates didn't. Historic figures didn't. But they were leaders and they were/are legends for a reason.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't making an assumption as such, but thanks for proving my point on Marble Madness :) (which I meant with latter)
Yeah never heard of it, but to be honest Playstation was mostly at friends. We were a SNES and N64 household

Top Bottom