• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is your most beloved person all-time in gaming?

Fuz

Banned
1559922325867_9c259fbe4f4a333fa24cca2cb592cce7.jpeg

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Ehh there are too many.

I don't really have favorite people in the industry
Lol, Nice tho.

I volunteered to work GDC one year and by chance got assigned VIP sign in for the developer awards during the conference. Got to briefly hang out behind the scenes with Miyamoto, Reggie Fils-Aimé, Alexey Pajitnov, Tim Schafer, and many others. Was probably the only time I was "star struck" in my life. The other volunteer I was with had a sharpie and DS and Miyamoto autographed it with a drawing of Mario, I was so envious.

Reactions: Isa

ByWatterson

It's gotta be Kojima.

Metal Gear Solid 1 & 2 were such eye-openers to what gaming could be. Before I played those, I had a fixed idea of the limitations of gaming. After playing them, I saw no limitations. And while I don't love all of his games, he's capable of these watershed titles - I think Death Stranding was another one of those. Totally captivating and hypnotic and sad and innovative and optimistic.

And he never seems cynical. Just happy to do the work he does.

Is he high on his own supply? Sure. But his enthusiasm is infectious.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Old school!! Love it!

Ever read the stories about Sierra in the early days? Apparently it was like a 60s free love swingers party.
Yup. Hot tub parties.

As a kid, they were barometers of great games along with Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe. It was magic.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Loved the old EGM, 1UP, and Gamespot crew. Some of the old Giant Bomb crew would be up there as well. I know he rubs some the wrong way, but Gerstmann is probably my favorite person to listen to talk about games.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yukio Futatsugi - creator of Panzer Dragoon and Phantom Dust. My #1.

Other folks who I simply love:

David Jaffe - God of War and Twisted Metal.
Itagaki - Ninja Gaiden, cool as hell, self proclaimed asshole.
Miyazaki - Souls
Kojima - Metal Gear
Yoshida - Did the impossible with FFXIV.
Phil Spencer - Just made the list
Miyamoto - I mean c'mon
Kaz - Might be top 3
Kevin Butler - Best spokesman in gaming ever.
Jade Raymond - Assassin's Creed and fine as hell.
Mark Cerny - Evil Genius.
Ed Boon - Mortal Kombat

I just come to realize that I don't know who's responsible for some of my favorite games.
Splinter Cell? Who do I credit when it comes to this masterpiece?
GTA?? No Clue

Last edited:

Vangellis

Huge impact:
Miyamoto has made some of the most beloved games in history. Im not a huge Mario fan but his contribution is huge.
John Carmack, his work on 3d engines and now VR

My personal favs
Miyazaki has created some of my favorite games ever
Richard Garriot for Ultima, specifically UO.
Hiroshi Kawaguchi, made some of my favorite game music. Very nostalgic.

Miyazaki & Ueda are the first that spring to mind, and of course they have this deep connection on some level, appropriately enough.

I'd also have to include Mikami, Kamiya,

And Jeremy Soule for his soundtracks. I know there's some issue with him personally people have, although I don't remember what it is now. But I'm talking about creations, not personal life. I don't cancel people or keep up with that sort of thing. And I never judge what I cannot know. Hearsay is nasty imho.

There are others, of course...so many, but those jumped quickly from the gray matter for me.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I left out Havey Smith. I met him a few years ago at E3 and he was such a pleasant, down to earth, humble dude, plus I love Dishonored.

• Thoughtful

Fbh

It's probably tied between:

Hidetaka Miyazaki.
Really love his games and design philosophy, I probably wouldn't be as much into gaming these days as I still am if it wasn't for what FROM has been doing since Demon Souls, and the influence they've had on the industry. There's no one in gaming I'd be more crushed to hear that they are retiring than Miyazaki.

Hironobu Sakaguchi
He's basically involved in all my favorite gaming memories growing up and really shaped my taste in games. Also he really comes across as nice guy in all interview/videos I've seen and I love how he gets along with stuff like that Mega64 video.

Last edited:
There should be no answer other than Miyamoto.

I don't want to see the timeline where Shirgeru Miyamoto never was born.

Also, personally, as someone who spent his teenage and early 20s working at Chuck E Cheese's, a special shout out to Nolan Bushnell.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

Shuhei Yoshida
Gabe Newell
Shigeru Miyamoto
Reggie Fils-Aimé
Satoru Iwata
Hideo kojima

And if we can add press/website people then without a doubt the great and only:
v9YEKnk.gif

💫 :messenger_heart:

Nintendo's Triforce are the standouts for me.
Iwata - He ran the ship during some of the roughest years but his vision was always to make fun games. It's too bad he died so young.
Miyamoto - He either produced, directed or outright created a lot of the games I grew up with.
Reggie - He was 100% character from the moment he was introduced to the world. He could also easily kick the living shit out of any of the other executives from the other developers without even trying.

Most of the grizzled ancients and old school Bungie. Miyamoto without question. Phil for righting the Xbox ship. Josef Fares for being a straight shooter, passionate and funny as hell. Ken and Roberta Williams for igniting imagination and gaming fun for all those years. The dude who played Trevor in GTA5, what a character performance.

Nintendo's Triforce are the standouts for me.
Iwata - He ran the ship during some of the roughest years but his vision was always to make fun games. It's too bad he died so young.
Miyamoto - He either produced, directed or outright created a lot of the games I grew up with.
Reggie - He was 100% character from the moment he was introduced to the world. He could also easily kick the living shit out of any of the other executives from the other developers without even trying.
Miyamoto is my favorite developer, but Reggie is my favorite personality. The man just oozes charisma! He could have had a decent career in pro wrestling honestly, even as a manager or commentator. His promos would be straight 🔥

Kacho

Gold Member
Hard to pick just one but it's probably Iwata. His presence on the Nintendo Directs and Iwata Asks was legendary. Just a special guy in a lot of ways.

Miyamoto, Kojima, Carmack, Romero, Reggie are up there as well.

kyussman

That's a good question actually,when I think of other mediums like film or music there are lots of directors and musicians that could be in the running.....but for gaming,even though I've played video games for most of my life it's hard to pick out individuals.I guess Ueda for his approach to making games.I think Ico,Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian are the greatest trilogy in gaming.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Probably Iwata. Seemed like such a gentle soul, who was much more of a gamer and developer than the CEO role he found himself in.

R.I.P.

Shu also seems like an awesome person.

Last edited:

Isa

Lots of great names mentioned here. I'd add Amy Hennig to my list of notable people that left a mark on me. From the Legacy of Kain games to the Uncharted series, it was a notable drop off in quality for me in Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy, though I did like them. Warren Spector and Sid Meier are geniuses. So many Japanese legends man. Not to mention the poor souls that got left behind. I remember some poor sod at Konami did great things with early Castlevania but because it didn't meet their sales expectations or whatever they canned him or something and he just disappeared.

I want to shout-out every game designer who get's excited like we used to as kids about new ideas and game design. Every dev that ever put in a neat easter egg. All the talented artists that created beautiful art both aural and visual. I wish there was more of it like the ol' days.

Top Bottom