• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who needs a job when you can just buy stocks?

Athena~

Banned
I have HAD it and CANT TAKE THIS ANYMORE! I have been OT off my butt for an eternity and especially in this climate and this happens last month:

My Tesla stock made me more money than my underpaid job did in a month!! Because it doubled! 100% up! And the beauty is that all it needs to do next month is only go 50% up to match it! Don’t even need it to double in a month haha.

Sorry I am no angel and I cannot work with other physicians and nurses and patients anymore especially in this dangerous climate. Why risk everything when I can just stay home and earn more? Done at 26 and I quit forever hooray!!

Now one advice: don’t do margin so you can’t lose more than what you put in! Put that $1200 check you don’t need to work! Do the same when you get another $1200 that you don’t need next month! Keep getting government money and keep buying stocks that’s all you need to know!

So in recap:
1. buy stocks for Tesla, Apple, Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, Google, Nvidia, AMD, Microsoft, Shopify, The Trade Desk, and Square
2. Retire maybe unless you like your job? (laughs)

you are welcome GAF. Tell me your approach and results!

P.S. for the smartasses I know what you are going to say. “Thanks for letting me know that the top is near”, right? SHUT UP! You don’t know that! If a month later they are higher than now then are you going to eat crow? How about next year? Yeah thought so. So SHUT UP

P.P.S. More more I need MORE! Keep going up and up and up AND UPPPPP IM IN LOVEEeee

Karmic Raze

Stocks are like a videogame. You can win or you can lose. I prefer to keep the little bit of money I have right now and not risk it on something that won’t pay out. If I was going to throw my money away, I’d just go out gambling instead. At least then I’d have fun (while it lasted) instead of straight up getting fucked raw dawg style with no lube.

Last edited:
I like my job, thanks. Although I've always been very curious about stocks, perhaps I should've bought some when they were tanking hard a few months back.

V4skunk

Banned
I have HAD it and CANT TAKE THIS ANYMORE! I have been OT off my butt for an eternity and especially in this climate and this happens last month:

My Tesla stock made me more money than my underpaid job did in a month!! Because it doubled! 100% up! And the beauty is that all it needs to do next month is only go 50% up to match it! Don’t even need it to double in a month haha.

Sorry I am no angel and I cannot work with other physicians and nurses and patients anymore especially in this dangerous climate. Why risk everything when I can just stay home and earn more? Done at 26 and I quit forever hooray!!

Now one advice: don’t do margin so you can’t lose more than what you put in! Put that $1200 check you don’t need to work! Do the same when you get another $1200 that you don’t need next month! Keep getting government money and keep buying stocks that’s all you need to know!

So in recap:
1. buy stocks for Tesla, Apple, Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, Google, Nvidia, AMD, Microsoft, Shopify, The Trade Desk, and Square
2. Retire maybe unless you like your job? (laughs)

you are welcome GAF. Tell me your approach and results!

P.S. for the smartasses I know what you are going to say. “Thanks for letting me know that the top is near”, right? SHUT UP! You don’t know that! If a month later they are higher than now then are you going to eat crow? How about next year? Yeah thought so. So SHUT UP

P.P.S. More more I need MORE! Keep going up and up and up AND UPPPPP IM IN LOVEEeee
I agree but don't put all your eggs into one basket. Put some money in gold and bitcoin as well.

thefool

If you make enough money of an investment and you cashed out , sure you can live off it. Stopping altogether to trade stocks with not a lot of money, or just trading whatever is popular is a disaster waiting to happen.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
The prices of stock matches people's emotions and doesn't really match the value of the company. You're thinking foolishly OP. You have to look at different financial criteria before putting money in a stock. The price to earnings ratio of some of these tech companies are really high and don't match their true value. Right now people are paying $1000 for one dollar of earnings for Tesla when you can pay $37 for a dollar of earnings for apple which is also high. Many stable, good companies are charging in the $20s for a dollar of their earnings. You're going to get hit if you continue on like this. Read the intelligent investor to teach you how to think the right way when investing.

Last edited:
I prefer to gamble on sporting events, thanks.
tenor.gif

Hudo

I mean, if it works for you and you are OK with it then go ahead. Not everyone needs to work a "normal" job.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Yup it's just that easy. I lost money on my day trades today cause I didn't need it and I don't like winning all the time.

DogofWar

Well the OP might be a little too overenthusiastic, but stocks can be a fun hobby and as long as you stay alert the risk of losing too much is quite small. But definitely only invest money that you feel you could actually lose without starving.

That said, my biggest regret in my life was hearing about bitcoin 11~ years ago, scoffing and saying "someone who pays real money for pretend money is stupid". Oh how I wish I had sold everything my 17 year old self owned and bought bitcoins hahaha!

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
There are a million people before you, who thought the same and there will be a million people after.

When the betting is easy it seems like everyone wins, but what will you do during the pullbacks?

There’s a reason only the very few can sustain the life, and I doubt you have the capital to do it.

Blade2.0

What is it, like 90% of stocks are owned by the top 5% earners or some shit like that. I'm happy you're making some dough but this is just another club that the majority of Americans aren't in.

Kagey K

Banned
What is it, like 90% of stocks are owned by the top 5% earners or some shit like that. I'm happy you're making some dough but this is just another club that the majority of Americans aren't in.
Arent mostAkericans actually in rather then out? Your 401k is all market dependent.

DKehoe

Bought a 2nd home and rented it out two years back. That way I enjoy passive income every month without worrying about stock prices falling.

Yeh, nothing against those playing the stock market, good luck to you. But I prefer property as an investment. I get rent that more than covers the mortgage. The property prices have already gone up significantly in the couple years that I’ve owned it.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
I actually love my job and would be miserable sitting at home watching stocks and trying to fill my day with meaningful activities. I prefer to invest on more of a ground level, in businesses and in people I know well.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

It seems when everybody has the same idea and uses the same strategy you have devised that's when things go to shit. It's only good for those willing to take a risk when no one else is. Thus its only for the few. It seems pointless to dole out this kind of financial advice. If you catch onto something, probably just better off keeping it yourself because once people adopt that advice you kill it.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
It seems when everybody has the same idea and uses the same strategy you have devised that's when things go to shit. It's only good for those willing to take a risk when no one else is. Thus its only for the few. It seems pointless to dole out this kind of financial advice. If you catch onto something, probably just better off keeping it yourself because once people adopt that advice you kill it.

Ops doing the exact opposite of what someone's who is in it for the long term should be doing. The more you tell people to buy stocks you recommended the more demand goes up and the higher the price of the stock is which means the stock becomes more expensive for you to purchase. This hyping up of stocks is only for traders that bought the stock cheap and are trying to unload it soon to make a quick profit.

Top Bottom