• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who will be the next to step out of their comfort zone like Guerilla Games?

Woggleman

Guerilla was mainly known for a FPS like Killzone and then they made HZD which was completely different from anything they had done. While it had room improvement they hit the mark and it is a beloved new IP with a highly anticipated sequel. Which other Dev who are known for making one kind of game will go in a completely different direction and succeed?

Kuranghi

I really like Croteam with The Talos Principle as an example, but it was more a confluence of things coming together rather than the company changing tact since they went back to Serious Sam afterwards.

They made what you could call "mindless" shooters for years with Serious Sam, and then suddenly in 2014 released a puzzle game which I would say is a modern classic in the genre. I love the puzzles, narrative and themes of it. I also love the music. The presentation could be called copy and paste but there is a narrative reason for that.

It really crushes you with the cold harsh reality of the world/life but also makes you feel the beauty of it at the same time.

Its currently buttons on Steam so no better time to give it go if you like logic puzzles and philosophy:

You can even get the base game + DLC + soundtrack around a tenner.

Last edited:
hopefully Naughty Dog. try something new and daring instead of sticking with safe formulas and pandering to a particular safe market

There is no need for another Uncharted or TLOU game. Uncharted Lost Legacy seemed like they were taking it in another direction but who knows what'll happen. Uncharted is just stale. TLOU had so much promise but they fucked that right up.

Last edited:

Bridges

Next Fable !

From racing game to roleplaying game.

https://www.playground-games.com/
Yeah I think we're gonna see this with several Xbox teams going forward.
Playground jumping from racing to RPG
InXile jumping from Tactics RPG to FPS
Compulsion jumping from First-person survival to cinematic TPS

I'd like to see more proven devs branch out into something new across the board tbh

hopefully Naughty Dog. try something new and daring instead of sticking with safe formulas and pandering to a particular safe market

There is no need for another Uncharted or TLOU game. Uncharted Lost Legacy seemed like they were taking it in another direction but who knows what'll happen. Uncharted is just stale. TLOU had so much promise but they fucked that right up.

I can bet 100$ that ND will always do 3rd person linear cinematic games.

TrueLegend

Well, Naughty Dogs is doing a new medieval game according to some news buzz. Yes no need for any more Uncharted, no need to make it HALO of PlayStation.

I really want to see them make some kind of extremely intricate military themed FPS. Like I'm talking physics, sound design, 100's of attachments for weapons. That or that Dragon Slayer IP that were making concept art about.

yurinka

Guerilla was mainly known for a FPS like Killzone and then they made HZD which was completely different from anything they had done. While it had room improvement they hit the mark and it is a beloved new IP with a highly anticipated sequel. Which other Dev who are known for making one kind of game will go in a completely different direction and succeed?
It was Sony Santa Monica rebooting GoW adding tons of new stuff to the genre from other genres, and after them Bend Studio going back to console AAA and debuting in open world games.

Well, Naughty Dogs is doing a new medieval game according to some news buzz.
No, that was debunked. It was just a random drawing one of their artists made on his free time. We know several projects where they have been working on since TLOU2 release and none of them is a new IP or set in a medieval setting.

Last edited:

Yoboman

There are multiple devs who already doing it.

Asobo

Plague tale
And
Flight Sim.

Flight sim sold more and got better meta than critically acclaimed Plague tale SP game.

Obsidian with Grounded and Avowed
I'd say Obsidian has always been experimental

But the Asobo example is really cool

mansoor1980

I really like Croteam with The Talos Principle as an example, but it was more a confluence of things coming together rather than the company changing tact since they went back to Serious Sam afterwards.

They made what you could call "mindless" shooters for years with Serious Sam, and then suddenly in 2014 released a puzzle game which I would say is a modern classic in the genre. I love the puzzles, narrative and themes of it. I also love the music. The presentation could be called copy and paste but there is a narrative reason for that.

It really crushes you with the cold harsh reality of the world/life but it also makes you feel the beauty of the world at the same time.

Its currently buttons on Steam so no better time to give it go if you like logic puzzles and philosophy:

You can even get the base game + DLC + soundtrack around a tenner.
brilliant game

MrS

Banned
Would like to see Sumo Digital tackle something meaty instead of things like Sackboy and Snake Pass. That team seem very capable. Could deliver something as meaningful as Hellblade if given the resources as they are clearly talented.

BabyYoda

Banned
I'd say it's rather safe to make an Ass Creed type open world game, with an admittedly pretty skin, they are so samey at this point. Now if a developer wants to branch out into something truly new and innovative like From did with the original Demon Souls, then I will be the first in line to pat them on the back! I'm watching Kohhcarnage's playthrough of God of War and it is a quality game, but it's essentially a reskin of a thousand other games out there, albeit, a really quality reskin! I honestly thought Hellblade was far more innovative and memorable (obviously GOW has a far bigger budget). Both quality games though!

Yoboman

I'd say it's rather safe to make an Ass Creed type open world game, with an admittedly pretty skin, they are so samey at this point. Now if a developer wants to branch out into something truly new and innovative like From did with the original Demon Souls, then I will be the first in line to pat them on the back! I'm watching Kohhcarnage's playthrough of God of War and it is a quality game, but it's essentially a reskin of a thousand other games out there, albeit, a really quality reskin! I honestly thought Hellblade was far more innovative and memorable (obviously GOW has a far bigger budget). Both quality games though!
What game is it a reskin of?

BabyYoda

Banned
What game is it a reskin of?
Essentially every 3rd person action game of the last two generations. I'm not sure it has an original bone in it's entire body. Can you name me something truly new and innovative about it? Again, it is executed very well though and that is enough for most.

It's like Darksiders, Uncharted, Arkham, Tombraider and Dark Souls et al all had a baby, it's a beautiful baby though ;)

Last edited:

Yoboman

Essentially every 3rd person action game of the last two generations. I'm not sure it has an original bone in it's entire body. Can you name me something truly new and innovative about it? Again, it is executed very well though and that is enough for most.

It's like Darksiders, Uncharted, Arkham, Tombraider and Dark Souls et al all had a baby, it's a beautiful baby though ;)
I'd say you would struggle to name a game that doesn't have inspirations from elsewhere. Especially interesting you mention Tomb Raider seeing as Cory Barlog also worked on that

Especially funny to make this call when you haven't actually played it

BabyYoda

Banned
I'd say you would struggle to name a game that doesn't have inspirations from elsewhere. Especially interesting you mention Tomb Raider seeing as Cory Barlog also worked on that

Especially funny to make this call when you haven't actually played it
Sure, but most have something original or innovative about them, the ones being called goty usually do anyway...so you're saying watching watching 12 hours or so wouldn't give me a fairly good idea about the game? Sure playing it would teach something else, I can already tell I would like the game though, I'm not hating!

sainraja

I can bet 100$ that ND will always do 3rd person linear cinematic games.
And we still need game studios working on linear based games that are 3rd person with a strong narrative and a good character focus, the likes of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, God of War 2, Uncharted, The Last of Us etc. There aren't that many studios working on that. Why does everything have to be open world or FPS or RPG with loot?

If linear based games with a strong story aren't for you, then you all have other great options, stop looking to Naughtydog for those. It is very puzzling to see how people with this attitude towards ND and their games (who seemingly have no interest in playing those type of games) are always the ones mentioning ND. They are one of the only ones still focusing on those.

Games are an illusion of control no matter how many buttons they can get you to press.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Sure, but most have something original or innovative about them, the ones being called goty usually do anyway...so you're saying watching watching 12 hours or so wouldn't give me a fairly good idea about the game? Sure playing it would teach something else, I can already tell I would like the game though, I'm not hating!
Well it doesn't actually play like any of the games you listed or any other game really so that's a core problem to the point of your argument, when it feels very different to play than any other game in its genre

It does plenty to innovate. The closed in camera combined with axe mechanics. The Non-linear hub with the layered level design across multiple realms and the sinking water levels opening up the level design. Single cut camera. Introducing progression mechanics into the series.

No denying there are inspirations but to go and change so many fundamentals of a series in such drastic ways and then claim its not innovating without having played it is a bit absurd

A bit like claiming BOTW isn't doing anything original because its an amalgamation of things done in Ubisoft games, Shadow of the colossus and older Zeldas. You can generally point to another game that did something similar before for anything released these days

Woggleman

And we still need game studios working on linear based games that are 3rd person with a strong narrative and a good character focus, the likes of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, God of War 2, Uncharted, The Last of Us etc. There aren't that many studios working on that. Why does everything have to be open world or FPS or RPG with loot?

If linear based games with a strong story aren't for you, then you all have other great options, stop looking to Naughtydog for those. It is very puzzling to see how people with this attitude towards ND and their games (who seemingly have no interest in playing those type of games) are always the ones mentioning ND. They are one of the only ones still focusing on those.

Games are an illusion of control no matter how many buttons they can get you to press.
I agree. It's like getting mad at Rockstar for making crime based open world games. That is what they do so if that is not your cup of tea move on.

SkylineRKR

Naughty Dog should do a lower budget, smaller project like a Jak 4 or something.

Guerrilla was a mixed bag with Killzone, redeemed itself with Horizon, but I somewhat want them to go back Killzone eventually. And then not a CoD like shooter, but more of a open world or hub based FPS with RPG mechanics.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
SSM and ND have to move on. While I want TLOU3's story to finish, ND has to do a new IP. Last gen was the first time they didnt do a new IP.

I want Coalition and 343i to do different things as well. You simply cannot please the Gears and Halo fanbase so why bother. Just go do something new.

Avatar looks amazing and I am happy that Ubisoft is letting Massive move away from Division.

Woggleman

ND will make a completely non-woke Duke Nukem-style game where the protagonist is a badass macho dude who bangs hot chicks and kills antifa thugs.
They should do that and release TLOU3 with Lev and Abby as the main story in the same year. The outrage mobs on both sides won't know what to do.

ksdixon

Just let us get that standalone MP game brother, then TLOU can go in the fire.

Ammogeddon

I agree, ND need to release at least one game this gen that doesn’t follow the same formula as Uncharted and Last of Us.

Yoboman

I agree, ND need to release at least one game this gen that doesn’t follow the same formula as Uncharted and Last of Us.
Why? Its what they do well and there is plenty of room for variation with a new IP while keeping a linear narrative based game

Its kind of like asking Rockstar to stop with the open world games

Pure blasphemy, Naughty Dog is the only studio which pushes the medium with every new game they make. Every other studio just tries to copy what Naughty Dog did in terms of story telling, authentic charakters, cinematic gameplay, pacing et cetera. Fact that many prople are still sour about TloU 2 is proof that ND made something incredible, fanbase is still split even a year after TLoU 2s release. Fact that people raged, cried and threatened Druckman with death threats just because of what they did with the story, speaks volumes that they developed characters, not just NPCs or a generic dude who nobody cares about.

Top Bottom