• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why all games MUST be like Borderlands (because I'm a viral marketer for Borderlands)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Master Lee said:
Well, if it really was marketing 2003, then why aren't there more games that feature RPG elements still?

Your argue is something like "Just because XXX game has smart AI, doesn't mean every game should." Or "Just cause this game has great music, doesn't mean every game should."
You can't honestly be serious, can you?

I mean, uh, wow. I guess I can't wait for the next Super Mario Bros. where you have to level up Mario's jumping and running abilities.

Tain

I mean, uh, wow. I guess I can't wait for the next Super Mario Bros. where you have to level up Mario's jumping and running abilities.

dude it would make it DEEPER and more PERSONALIZED

Beaulieu

All game should be ass halfed efforts without variety in environnements and ennemy type, and be marketed as "diablo 2 in 1st person shooter" without actually delivering anything similar to diablo2 ?

edit : bosses always drop the same loot, gg.

edit2 : you can respec your character at any time for a cheap cost, how stupid.

bengraven said:
Castlevania third-person RPG set in a giant, free-roaming castle with four player co-op.

Fuck yes, I support the OP.

ZOMG, a Mario free-roaming platforming/loot-whoring RPG!

YES.

Actually... YES. They should have it. Doesn't mean you shouldn't have a great single player Mario experience. But why should the game include more features that allow for more variety in the way you want to play a game.

Note that the new Mario game allows for multiplayer. In many ways, Mario already has some elements of RPG in it, with the way your characters gradually improves and unlocks new moves the further you get into the game.

bengraven

Tain said:
god damn do i hate jamming rpg elements into good action games.

god damn it.

I mean I can stand it every once in a while and there are exceptions but

god damn it.

I completely agree.

jman2050

John Master Lee said:
Actually... YES. They should have it. Doesn't mean you shouldn't have a great single player Mario experience. But why should the game include more features that allow for more variety in the way you want to play a game.

Note that the new Mario game allows for multiplayer. In many ways, Mario already has some elements of RPG in it, with the way your characters gradually improves and unlocks new moves the further you get into the game.

OMG :lol :lol :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So games should be more like Diablo 2?

Am I getting this right?

Just remember that Borderlands was never the first game to do these things, nor will it be the last. Those heralding it as the next coming of gameplay christ need to add a bit more perspective to their hobby.

I have not personally played this game - Borderlands. In fact, I know very little about it.

However I have read this post and I can't say that I agree. Stating that we are at the edge of some sort of "paradigm shift" I think is a bit much for something like "mandatory RPG element inclusion" to all games of the genre. Perhaps they are nice for some titles, but I doubt it would be a snug fit or every game because some gamer decreed it so.

John Master Lee said:

When the hell was the last time you played a Mario platformer?!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Vercingetorix said:
Difference is that those shooters are enjoyed by their fans without needing a loot mechanic to prop everything up. Borderlands seems to be entirely dependent on it thus far.

No. Borderlands also has different classes, skill trees, online and split screen co-op, vehicles, etc etc etc.

Oh, and the gameplay isn't half bad either. But the haters are pissed off that you need more than 3 bullets to take down enemies.

Walshicus

WyndhamPrice said:
Shoehorning co-op in every game that can vaguely support it in some way is the worst idea ever, especially when it doesn't really change the experience other than having another dude.
No it isn't. I can't think of many genres at all that are better with one just player.

Halo 3 tried so hard to tell people that "when you play 4 player co-op you're all individual characters with names and shit" and yet this is never ever reflected beyond Chief and the Arbiter.
Who fucking cares? Halo 3's campaign was exponentially better with every human player added.

L4D gets it right.
Of course. Because L4D is plain and simple awesome.

Haunted

Borderlands rocks. Phat loot rocks.

This thread and the OP's article sucks. There's no raging debate to be had, just everyone agreeing that the OP is completely wrong.

Green Mamba said:
You can't honestly be serious, can you?

SMB already has elements of RPG. You can improve his various abilities with power ups that you pick up. That sort of depth allows you to tackle various levels in different ways.

So yes, I'm serious.

John Master Lee said:

My god, Super Mario Bros was an RPG, grabbing that mushroom is just like a buff!

Sir Fragula said:
No it isn't. I can't think of many genres at all that are better with one just player.

WRPGs for one. Imagine Mass Effect 2 with 4 player co-op, who the hell would decide what happens? Rock paper scissors over who gets to change the fate of the galaxy? :lol

Slavik81

John Master Lee said:
Well, if it really was marketing 2003, then why aren't there more games that feature RPG elements still?
Because after a few years, gamers realized it was a huge mistake to shove gameplay mechanics into games without ever thinking about whether they actually improve the game.

An example of a game that should never have RPG elements is Portal. In Portal, after a few tutorials, you have a static set of abilities. All the cool and awesome things you do are the result of applying things you've learned. There's nothing on the screen that pops up saying that your character learned the ability to do ______. You, the player, actually learn how to do things.

RPG elements would do nothing but detract from a game like Portal.

Tobor

John Master Lee said:
SMB already has elements of RPG. You can improve his various abilities with power ups that you pick up. That sort of depth allows you to tackle various levels in different ways.

So yes, I'm serious.

Uhhhh...I got nothing.

TheFallen

There's a whole genre for this, you realize this? It's called MMO. Check it out, I hear it's great. We don't need every game to be Borderlands.

John Master Lee said:
I'm bailing out right here.

jman2050

John Master Lee said:

So yes, I'm serious.

Wow

John Master Lee said:

So yes, I'm serious.
Once I tried making this argument. I lost pretty hard.

Save yourself before it is too late!

Slavik81 said:
Because after a few years, gamers realized it was a huge mistake to shove gameplay mechanics into games without ever thinking about whether they actually improve the game.

An example of a game that should never have RPG elements is Portal. In Portal, after a few tutorials, you have a static set of abilities. All the cool and awesome things you do are the result of applying things you've learned. There's nothing on the screen that pops up saying that your character learned the ability to do ______. You, the player, actually learn how to do things.

RPG elements would do nothing but detract from a game like Portal.

Ok - good point. And good counter argument.

Haunted

Tobor said:
I used to think this, then I played Too Human.

I thought Borderlands was going to be decent, by the way? GAF hype?
Borderlands will rock. Of course, the ridiculous shit posted in the OP will only serve to build up hate against it.

I'd equate this thread to 10-12 posts full of Killzone 2 .gifs in unrelated threads. That's how devastating this is.

John Master Lee said:
Ok - good point. And good counter argument.
... he just stated the goddamn obvious. How in the hell didn't you think of that before writing your article?

Borderlands looks like it has a LOT of potential but the reviews will be harsh and the commercial success won't be as high as everyone would like. What I believe it will end being like anyways.

bengraven

I'm kind of excited for this.

I'm more excited for RAGE.

However, I think if you played both you'd put three times the amount of time into Borderlands. Rage seems like it may be very short.

Tobor

Himuro said:
No, I agree with Speedpop.

Every game should be like Diablo 2.

But if every game were like Borderlands I'd stop playing games.

Borderlands is like Diablo 2, at least as far as this discussion.

Anyhoo, the OP want's all games to be action RPG's, and we can all agree that's stupid.

Action RPG is my favorite genre, but who want's to eat steak every day?

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Once I tried making this argument. I lost pretty hard.

Save yourself before it is too late!

I'm OK with being chewed a new one!

Because among the rants, there are some really interesting points. But posting on Gaf can elevate your blood pressure...

Gilgamesh

But... I like my games to have story. I don't want to just kill and loot. It's like an MMO. I hate MMOs.

Wario64 said:
Plus, get co-op out of my single player experience. If you want co-op, do it like Uncharted 2.
Also, this.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Tobor said:

Anyhoo, the OP want's all games to be action RPG's, and we can all agree that's stupid.

Oh definitely. There has to be variety in this industry otherwise it would be dead.

andymcc

Banned
John Master Lee said:

So yes, I'm serious.

maybe you should be on the cover of borderlands.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Borderlands isn't even out yet, shut the hell up.

Plus, get co-op out of my single player experience. If you want co-op, do it like Uncharted 2.

Haunted

Himuro said:
I think I will wait for Rage instead.
I'm totally excited for Rage, but I don't think skipping similar games while waiting for another to be released TBA down the line is the best choice to make.

darkwings

Banned
Wario64 said:
Borderlands isn't even out yet, shut the hell up.

Agreed. Co-op was so shitty in RE5 that it left a sour taste.

Tobor said:

This is where you get it wrong.

I don't want all games to be action RPGs.

I want games to offer up more than the standard package. A music game can still be a music game. A puzzle game can still be a puzzle game.

The key is that more elements can be added to the game to provide more variety to play.

Green Mamba said:
"All games should be more like the games I like. I will also ignore the fact that any of these features would take time out of a development process that may be better spent on other parts of development for certain games."
Frankly, 4 player drop in/drop out coop is something EVERY FPS EVER would be improved by with very little work. And who the fuck cares about the narrative justification.

Halo CE was all about the lone Spartan but in Coop another Spartan appeared magically and the narrative went on by simply ignoring that detail.

Who cares? When you have 4 friends playing a game together, nobody gives a shit about the story at that point.

Chromax

Just canceled Heavy Rain and Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth since there's no 4 player co-op with phat epic lewt farming!

Haunted

John Master Lee said:
This is where you get it wrong.

I don't want all games to be action RPGs.

I want games to offer up more than the standard package. A music game can still be a music game. A puzzle game can still be a puzzle game.

The key is that more elements can be added to the game to provide more variety to play.
Ah, much better. Your point was poorly made in that OP.

Then again, you're basically saying that you want Jack of all Trades, Master of None games. Putting shit in there "just for the sake of it" rarely helps games out.

Not every dev will get the balance juuust right. Sometimes it's better to narrow your focus in development, so you'll get a more focused and enjoyable experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom