• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are black people so universally hated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Like, I feel like if black people collectively had a literal physiological variation in every single one of them, it'd be a big enough deal that you would know about it.

A physical identifier of "blackness" outside of skin tone would be a big deal.
Coincidentally, a surgical procedure to remove those variations would probably become popular for some people.

This is what I thought. If there was a giant genetic difference then there would be more talk about that rather than skin colour or shit about big dicks or whatever.

It's just this notion of 'we' hating black people that's in the thread title... Doesn't sit right to me that it was even asked.

So far, black people being mean to me has only cost me 20 pounds sterling.

The number of times I've been screwed over by white people I can not possibly count but I think they've collectively screwed me out of more than 5000 Euros.

So yeah, I'm with the OP -- what's the hate?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It was related to the beginning of the discussion you had about how skin has nothing to do with perceived negative stereotypes. It was just the first post I saw that continued from that initial conversation.

Well, I am unfortunately not an expert in the complete world history. But from the examples we did mention, it seems that the the blackness of the skin is not the reason why someones brain said "ARGH, THOSE GUYS ARE DANGEROUS". When the first white guys encountered the first black guys, history showed that problems of superiority and slavery arose over time. But that did not happen because they were black, more simply because they were different. They could have had a green skin and we would have the same outcome. People make it seem like from the beginning of dawn, peoples brains were out to hate BLACK people, which isnt true. People are afraid of people different to them, and darker skinned people seemed to have worse luck in the course of history than others.

The perception of skin color is so entrenched into our society that this may affect other people with a darker skin color, as the Filipinos you mentioned. But again, the reason for that is not because they are black, which would mean that our brains are programmed to hate black people. Its about what history makes people think.

Future

It always amazed me that no matter where I've travelled, the hotel cleanup staff and janitors are always of darker skin. They may not be black, but a dark Japanese, French, Spanish, Turkish, whatever. Them having these jobs doesn't mean everyone hates them, but it definitely represents some sort of class distinction. Darker skinned people seem to have it rough everywhere, and black people happen to be the darkest of the bunch. Don't know why that is, I love me some dark skin

Wilbur

Banned
So far, black people being mean to me has only cost me 20 pounds sterling.

The number of times I've been screwed over by white people I can not possibly count but I think they've collectively screwed me out of more than 5000 Euros.

So yeah, I'm with the OP -- what's the hate?

The case isn't that simple though when answering the question. If a black guy robbed you and a white guy robbed you, that's the same case. If you live in a country with a very small population of black people where you've only been in contact with one guy who screwed you out of 20 euros but with lots of white people that screwed you out of 5000 collectively, it's the same case but with different numbers. It has nothing to do with their skin colour, so it seems a futile question

Blacks were not necessarily "black", for the sake of hatred, to the first non-blacks that went to fuck with them.

They were "savages", or "bushmen", or "heathens", or any number of other things first. But what they really were most of all, were people who were sitting on top of the precious land/food/resources that they wanted. The part where they were considered "black" came later, once they found a convenient way of categorizing their otherness.

That's what it was with trying to colonize Africa and starting the slave trade.
That's what it was with colonizing the New World.
That's what it was with colonizing the Caribbean/Antilles/West Indies/South America.
That's pretty much what it is everywhere in history a non-white indigenous people occurred.

...except for in Asia, maybe? I dunno.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It's just this notion of 'we' hating black people that's in the thread title... Doesn't sit right to me that it was even asked.

Would that sit right with you in an US american context? Generalising that topic for the whole world is a a bit tricky indeed.

Statistics show that the majority of ethnicities indeed prefer other ethnicities over black:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37708152&postcount=269#

Why wouldnt that question be allowed? This is a serious, and seriously intriguing question if discussed properly.

Fritz

I believe black people have a pretty good standing in Germany. For instance Germany had no relevant colonies so there never have been any real issues on that front. Consequently there are almost no black communities in Germany. Chances are when you're a black guy growing up in Germany that you're just another German really, cause there is no alternative for you to turn to. And Germans are more open towards black people than let's say Arabs cause there are so few that it is impossible to impose any "threat" at all. Finally Germans associate many traits with Africans that they admire: Strength, agility, honor and pride (e.g. Leni Riefenstahl made a couple of documentaries pushing that picture after her Nazi career). This is of course pretty racist, albeit positively racist, but nonetheless racist.

All that blends to a pretty positive attitude towards black people in Germany. I wouldn't know for sure though cause I am no black guy living in Germany, it's just my impression.

Wilbur

Banned
Who's non-black and would have a long term relationship with a black woman ?

Me. I lost my virginity to a mixed race girl who was darker than light. I don't give a shit about their colour.

I'm in a long term relationship with a white girl, but it isn't because I wasn't looking for black girls.

The OP title is so bizarre to me.

Wilbur

Banned
Would that sit right with you in an US american context? Generalising that topic for the whole world is a a bit tricky indeed.

Statistics show that the majority of ethnicities indeed prefer other ethnicities over black:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37708152&postcount=269#

Why wouldnt that question be allowed? This is a serious, and seriously intriguing question if discussed properly.

That certainly is, and I think it should be encouraged in schools and the like. If kids are discussing whether or not race relations should be encouraged, whether any race is different apart from surface level etc, then it can only be informative for future generations. Just the sweeping generalisation of the OP's title seems more relevant to past generations

Everyone wants to be black. There's nothing more punk rock on Earth than being black. We stroll in, all muscle and sinew and cocoa, fucking the game up like dirty edge connectors. We laugh loud and speak bold and emit "I-just-don't-give-a-fuck" with every movement. We have been scrutinized and analyzed in every conceivable way, and still we are mysterious and exotic right down to the kink of our hair to those - surprising, still numerous - people who haven't been in contact with us before. We've created the rhythm and the blues, the rock and the roll, the hip and the hop. We brought in the noise and the funk. We put the soul in food, and pretty much everything else too. We built your pyramids, and we leap over them with our seemingly impossible collective athleticism, borne of mountains, jungles and plains that many of us still live in all across the world. Everyone wants to be black.

No one wants to be black. There's nothing more terrifying than the knowledge that we exist in every way but individually to everyone - even other black people. We can never be judged by our own merits; we carry the weight of the race's progression with every step into the future like Atlas, and even he shrugged...but we can't, because it's considered weak and selling out if we do. Every bit of slang, every bit of clothing that sits the wrong way, every head nod and hand gesture can and will be taken in the wrong way, a universal "there-goes-the-neighborhood" by everyone that can do so, which basically consists of everyone that doesn't want the social association with black people. That group, naturally, consists of everyone that is able to pass as "non-black". We live in a world where we were kings until we were cattle, and then we were weapons, and then we were like aphids, sprouting up where we weren't wanted, corrupting non-black youth, and the reason for everything from crime to lowered test scores or property value. Nobody wants to be black.

My blackness offends infinitely.
I want to be black.

Also, I'm just not going to address the topic. I'm just going to sit back and watch. I wouldn't say we are universally reviled; it just seems that way sometimes.
my man...

i am about to print this and hang it on my wall.

i'll get a frame for it later.

Really? Define long term? My dating pre-marriage was not racially exclusive and did include black girls in high school and shortly thereafter. I married a white woman, but I know a couple of mixed race married couples in which one spouse is black.

Are you trying to make some kind of point here?

edit: I should point out that I said "black girls" and "white woman" here because I dated these girls in high school, and married my wife at 25.

I believe black people have a pretty good standing in Germany. For instance Germany had no relevant colonies so there never have been any real issues on that front. Consequently there are almost no black communities in Germany. Chances are when you're a black guy growing up in Germany that you're just another German really, cause there is no alternative for you to turn to. And Germans are more open towards black people than let's say Arabs cause there are so few that it is impossible to impose any "threat" at all. Finally Germans associate many traits with Africans that they admire: Strength, agility, honor and pride (e.g. Leni Riefenstahl made a couple of documentaries pushing that picture after her Nazi career). This is of course pretty racist, albeit positively racist, but nonetheless racist.

All that blends to a pretty positive attitude towards black people in Germany. I wouldn't know for sure though cause I am no black guy living in Germany, it's just my impression.

I went to Oktoberfest in 2008 and was pretty worried about standing out. I found that everyone was very friendly and accommodating. I had a great time out there.

Toma

Taken from the US general social survey of 2006:

1wlBm.png

31% of whites would oppose a black marriage in their family, while 15% of other ethnicities would oppose black marriage in their family.

the points about gangsta rap and black culture would resonate more if animosity towards black wasnt a centuries old phenomenon. I dont buy the notion that there's an overwhelming number of well meaning people out there that became wary of blacks because of the LA riots and Snoop Dogg. people look for shit to reinforce their beliefs. if it wasnt gangsta rap and black guys with oversized white tees, it would be something else, like it was decades before.

Guys, almost everything ever that was cool was blamed on blacks and stated as the death of society, usually by old people who sucked of all ages and races.

Rap music, rock music, jazz music, marijuana, any kind of dancing that wasn't the Charleston or some kind of ballroom style, Elvis, basketball, your favorite NBA stars, the crossover dribble, the slam dunk, and so on.

I think we should collectively blame old people for stuff. I mean, basketball? Elvis? jazz? Those things are awesome, bros.

aznpxdd

I think the word hate is definitely exaggerated. But like many in this thread have already said, just dumb people afraid of others looking different, and I guess Blacks just have the worst of it.

Toma

Thank you for editing, I have been sitting here for five minutes trying to make sense of that! ;p

Haha, yeah sorry. It came to me after posting that explaining that may be useful as I had problem understanding their row system at first as well.

Guys, almost everything ever that was cool was blamed on blacks and stated as the death of society, usually by old people who sucked of all ages and races.

Rap music, rock music, jazz music, marijuana, any kind of dancing that wasn't the Charleston or some kind of ballroom style, Elvis, basketball, your favorite NBA stars, the crossover dribble, the slam dunk, and so on.

I think we should collectively blame old people for stuff. I mean, basketball? Elvis? jazz? Those things are awesome, bros.

People tend to forget that jazz really was regarded the same way rap is now.

Toma

Right now, it would be Arabs or Muslims.

For the US at least, based on the statistics I posted in this thread. I doubt its much different for other parts of the world, but someone would need to dig up some social distance surveys for other regions to prove that.

Toma

Pure conjecture but I bet that extends well beyond the US. My Uzbeki neighbors were victims of racial attacks when they went on vacation in Vancouver, and it is a widespread problem in Europe.

Yeah, sorry. Edited my post and added basically what you said :p

A lot of "stupid, eats watermelon/chicken, lesser race, bushmen, etc."
By the way, I am not arguing about the quality or quantity of racism. I'm not saying that people are less or more racist now. I'm just saying that the racism was expressed differently.

I'm trying to provide a concise example:
As far as I understand, people 50+ years ago would not change the side of the street when they would run into black people. They would expect the blacks to move out of their way. Because in their mind blacks were lesser people.

Now, racist/xenophobic people would probably try to move to the other side of the street because they would be afraid of being robbed/hassled/whatever. In their minds, blacks are aggressive gangbangers. (Exception to militant white power idiots, of course)

That's the difference in expression of racism that happend in the last 30 years I am trying to convey. And I think the portrayal of blacks in mainstream media has a lot to do with it.
fear of the rabid black criminal is nothing new. Check out Martin Podhoretz's "My Negro Problem" from Commentary. That was the 60s.

botty

Banned
The best thing about this thread is how it clumps all dark skinned people (of the world) under "black," and then makes it come off as if those people all practice african-american culture.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
We were having this discussion in another thread about how it seems that black people are hated or distrusted no matter where they go on the globe. Even countries and cultures that have little to no contact with black people seem fearful or at least wary around us.

But on the flip side Black Culture is so widely assimilated.

I'll give it a shot, most of Africa is poor and horrible as shit on most scales we measure quality of life by. Therefore TONS of Africans bail the fuck out and achieve immigrant in new land status. Like most groups of immigrants, they tend to be poor there for at least some generations.

Poor = Crime

people are scared of poor people. Because poor people are desperate (usually).

Also, I disagree with your 'hated and distrusted anywhere on the globe'

Another thing America constantly portraying the gansta image through media probably helps with the 'oh shit a black guy' thing, because Americas media is amazingly far reaching.

That's all I have.

I thought it was the Jews that were the most hated or mistrusted people on the planet. Then again, I'm biased.

Not even close to true, unless you just talk about the middle east. I've never even met a person who can tell who is jewish just by looking at them and all the people i've ever met have never even seen Jewish as 'a thing'. I've met tons of racist against black people sorts though. Even those Jewish people that dress weird and won't touch people have only ever been treated as a curiosity as far as I can tell when I stayed in that neighbourhood in London.

Tawpgun

Real talk though. They're stuck in a Catch 22.

People are racist and don't give them a fair chance because statistics show black people commit more crimes.

They are driven to crime because they don't have a fair chance in the world and people have a stereotypes on them.

DanteFox

I'm pretty sure certain countries don't hate black people, unless you're implying that they're self-hating.

Teknoman

It doesn't help that a lot of our people have decided to double down on the negative shit that's thrown at us though. Taking pride in and hamming up the negative connotations we've been associated with is a huge problem in our community.

I think this is the biggest issue concerning the way black people are looked at.

Toma

Maybe it's just me or my environment but I don't see nearly as much black people hate as I did say...10 years ago.

Funny you would mention that, the social distance survey before the one I posted showed that the social distance to all ethnic minorities is shrinking in the US. So it indeed gets better.

ReiGun

Everyone wants to be black. There's nothing more punk rock on Earth than being black. We stroll in, all muscle and sinew and cocoa, fucking the game up like dirty edge connectors. We laugh loud and speak bold and emit "I-just-don't-give-a-fuck" with every movement. We have been scrutinized and analyzed in every conceivable way, and still we are mysterious and exotic right down to the kink of our hair to those - surprising, still numerous - people who haven't been in contact with us before. We've created the rhythm and the blues, the rock and the roll, the hip and the hop. We brought in the noise and the funk. We put the soul in food, and pretty much everything else too. We built your pyramids, and we leap over them with our seemingly impossible collective athleticism, borne of mountains, jungles and plains that many of us still live in all across the world. Everyone wants to be black.

No one wants to be black. There's nothing more terrifying than the knowledge that we exist in every way but individually to everyone - even other black people. We can never be judged by our own merits; we carry the weight of the race's progression with every step into the future like Atlas, and even he shrugged...but we can't, because it's considered weak and selling out if we do. Every bit of slang, every bit of clothing that sits the wrong way, every head nod and hand gesture can and will be taken in the wrong way, a universal "there-goes-the-neighborhood" by everyone that can do so, which basically consists of everyone that doesn't want the social association with black people. That group, naturally, consists of everyone that is able to pass as "non-black". We live in a world where we were kings until we were cattle, and then we were weapons, and then we were like aphids, sprouting up where we weren't wanted, corrupting non-black youth, and the reason for everything from crime to lowered test scores or property value. Nobody wants to be black.

I want to be black.

Also, I'm just not going to address the topic. I'm just going to sit back and watch. I wouldn't say we are universally reviled; it just seems that way sometimes.
Beautiful.

Maybe it's just me or my environment but I don't see nearly as much black people hate as I did say...10 years ago.

What do you consider hate?

There is inarguably less of the stuff that was public and commonplace in say...the 1950s or something, but this is still the same world in which it behooves me to walk around in a store with my receipt out so I don't get accused of stealing.

Things are definitely better now, seeing as I don't get bought or sold, and I can vote, and get a job, and go to college, and don't have to sit in the back of a bus. But my brother will still get arrested and handcuffed for just looking like he's "up to no good"...which basically equates to "he's black and looks like a gangsta or something".

I no longer have to worry about someone dragging me from a truck with a Confederate flag license plate by a rope...but I can still get called "nigger" at a bar in Park Slope for winning a pool game in 2012 against an older white man who wasn't happy about how I stunted on him and didn't know how else to react except to use what he thought would be most damaging to me.

So it depends on what you consider black people hate. The hate that occurs now is the stuff that is the most subtle, and the most insidious because it's the easiest to put behind you when it's called out. It's easy to say "well, we're post-racial now" or "well, you only see what you're looking for" and so on when you get to live a life in which none of these things will ever happen or even occur to you.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
They have it in Asia as well, where Filipinos are considered ugly because they're dark. I even hear it here with those saying they have so called 'yellow fever' that they would never get with a Filipino because they are ugly.

That's fine though as it leaves more for me :D
Eh, that have that even within in the Philipines amongst the various ethnicities of Filipinos who will variously look down on each other for having Spanish, Chinese, Indochinese, Malay, Polynesian, or Austronesian/Melanesian ancestry. The Aeta, Ati, and Mamanwan (Negritos) probably have it the hardest as they're the most disenfranchised people in the archipelago due to their low numbers, relative isolation, and general attitudes toward them among both the Filipinos and the conquering Spanish. I'm not sure of these attitudes are because of color and general features or because the Negrito groups had lower technological sophisitcation due to their extreme isolation.

Note that a lot of East Asian groups have looked down on Koreans historically and that was more due to issues of cultural isolation and wealth rather than the skin color/features of Koreans. There are also similar tensions with various groups in greater India among other Indians, and while some Gujurati might point out the darkness of the Tamil, probably the greatest discrimination is against the Indians in the North East who look more Burmese and Tibetan and were relatively isolated from the rest of India.

That stuff about extra bones in feet or whatever, is that proven?
Oh come on.

Slayven

There is inarguably less of the stuff that was public and commonplace in say...the 1950s or something, but this is still the same world in which it behooves me to walk around in a store with my receipt out so I don't get accused of stealing.

Things are definitely better now, seeing as I don't get bought or sold, and I can vote, and get a job, and go to college, and don't have to sit in the back of a bus. But my brother will still get arrested and handcuffed for just looking like he's "up to no good"...which basically equates to "he's black and looks like a gangsta or something".

I no longer have to worry about someone dragging me from a truck with a Confederate flag license plate by a rope...but I can still get called "nigger" at a bar in Park Slope for winning a pool game in 2012 against an older white man who wasn't happy about how I stunted on him and didn't know how else to react except to use what he thought would be most damaging to me.

So it depends on what you consider black people hate. The hate that occurs now is the stuff that is the most subtle, and the most insidious because it's the easiest to put behind you when it's called out. It's easy to say "well, we're post-racial now" or "well, you only see what you're looking for" and so on when you get to live a life in which none of these things will ever happen or even occur to you.

You are on fire.

Toma

You are right, racism isnt gone. And as you correctly pointed out, it indeed got better. Which is the whole point of it. Life sucks worse if you arent white (in the US), but its still BETTER than 50 years ago. Ignoring that would be rather stupid as well. We shouldnt stop at this point, though. However, the poster you quoted is entirely correct in his observations relative to the general public attitude.

Yo Gotti

Banned

I want to be black.

Goddamn.

Had to play some Marvin Gaye after reading this.

We are also held at some vague higher standard as well I feel. This may be completely incorrect but I definitely have this feeling sometimes.

So true. I've seen loud white kids acting like assholes in restaurants and no one blinks and eye. I've seen security or the cops called on black kids for being the same way.

Perfect example. 3 black kids sleeping are seen as more dangerous than 3 White kids destroying a neighborhood car.

I believe black people have a pretty good standing in Germany. For instance Germany had no relevant colonies so there never have been any real issues on that front. Consequently there are almost no black communities in Germany. Chances are when you're a black guy growing up in Germany that you're just another German really, cause there is no alternative for you to turn to. All that blends to a pretty positive attitude towards black people in Germany. I wouldn't know for sure though cause I am no black guy living in Germany, it's just my impression.
New film uncovers racism in Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom