• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are black people so universally hated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Some German newspaper commentators have accused the filmmaker himself of racism for acting out such a negative stereotype of a black person. The character of Kwami speaks broken German and is childlike in his ignorance of dangerous situations.

Anti-racism pressure groups, meanwhile, have complained that the filmmaker is paternally speaking for black people, rather than with them. Why did he not simply film the experiences of real black people?

That plus anecdotal evidence. We got this guys stupid behaviour compared to someone in this thread saying that germany treated him very well. Who do you believe? Its not black or white. Of course Germany has racism, every country has to some extent.

RawPower

Banned
Not even close to true, unless you just talk about the middle east. I've never even met a person who can tell who is jewish just by looking at them and all the people i've ever met have never even seen Jewish as 'a thing'. I've met tons of racist against black people sorts though. Even those Jewish people that dress weird and won't touch people have only ever been treated as a curiosity as far as I can tell when I stayed in that neighbourhood in London.

My experience has been quite different from yours, apparently.

That plus anecdotal evidence. We got this guys stupid behaviour compared to someone in this thread saying that germany treated him very well. Who do you believe? Its not black or white. Of course Germany has racism, every country has to some extent.

I saw the video and have friends who have spent time in Germany.

You are right, racism isnt gone. And as you correctly pointed out, it indeed got better. Which is the whole point of it. Life sucks worse if you arent white (in the US), but its still BETTER than 50 years ago. Ignoring that would be rather stupid as well. We shouldnt stop at this point, though. However, the poster you quoted is entirely correct in his observations relative to the general public attitude.

Socially yes, economically not really.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I saw the video and have friends who have spent time in Germany.

I have quite a few black friends here as well. Aside from obvious right wing racism, they havent told us about any racist occurence here.

And some of them live here for 3-4 years now. Its simply not black or white.

Socially yes, economically not really.

Well, yeah. I assumed he was talking from a social point of view.

Slayven

I have quite a few black friends here as well. Aside from obvious right wing racism, they havent told us about any racist occurence here.

And some of them live here for 3-4 years now. Its simply not black or white.

Have you asked if they experienced any?

Toma

Have you asked if they experienced any?

Yeah, I got to know them in a group devoted to cultural differences and that topic frequently came up. They definitely were objected to racism, no doubt about that, but they havent complained about underhand racism, like store clerks being mean or whatever.

That still might change depending on the region you are conducting a survey about this topic in and we'd be stupid to ignore racism as a problem. But that video is a grossly exaggerated piece of anecdotal evidence that is not conform with what the people I know have experienced here.

IceCold

From what I've read in some racist forums, their reasoning is that black people are inferior to other races genetically. Basically they argue that due to their genes, black people are less intelligent, more prone to violent etc. They bring up statistics as proof of this and how sub-Saharan Africa has not evolve much technologically over the centuries compared to other areas. Or they'll mention that areas with more black people are usually more poor and have more violence. I've actually tried to debate against such people and it's impossible to win.

I think the issue with a lot of people is that they see patterns and instead of attributing such patterns to socio-economical issues, they attribute it to race since it's it the easiest of all answers. It's easy to attribute all the problems you see around you to a specific group of people instead of admitting that the root of the problems is much much deeper and is due to our society as a whole being broken.

Slayven

Yeah, I got to know them in a group devoted to cultural differences and that topic frequently came up. They definitely were objected to racism, no doubt about that, but they havent complained about underhand racism, like store clerks being mean or whatever.

I doubt they would have. Most black people take the little shit in stride and move on.

Ecotic

It really comes down to colonialism and how most all of Africa became subjugated against their will, basically becoming minorities even in their own lands.

And research has shown that people who are minorities against their will are given two choices in society: pass as the ruling majority ethnic group as best as you can, or take an "oppositional identity" to the dominant ethnic group to salvage your self-esteem.

And since blacks have a very, very hard time passing as a European, most will take an oppositional identity. This means that everything the dominant ethnicity represents, people who take an oppositional identity will be opposed to that. This makes most or enough black people scary in Western society to stigmatize all of them negatively. Then it self-perpetuates and festers into what we have today.

Toma

I doubt they would have. Most black people take the little shit in stride and move on.

Well yeah, I can neither prove nor disprove this statement.

Toma

It really comes down to colonialism and how most all of Africa became subjugated against their will, basically becoming minorities even in their own lands.

And research has shown that people who are minorities against their will are given two choices in society: pass as the ruling majority ethnic group as best as you can, or take an "oppositional identity" to the dominant ethnic group to salvage your self-esteem.

And since blacks have a very, very hard time passing as a European, most will take an oppositional identity. This means that everything the dominant ethnicity represents, people who take an oppositional identity will be opposed to that. This makes most or enough black people scary in Western society to stigmatize all of them negatively. Then it self-perpetuates and festers into what we have today.

Best post in this thread. I completely agree.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

.... /thread

TheContact

I think Black people have the richest history of any other race, they had the best scholars, professors, astronomers.....

fast forward a few thousand years and they're slinging crack on the street.

Where did they go wrong?

Circle gets the square. Nice post.

[EDIT: ^^^ they collectively aren't slinging "crack" on the streets...and if they were, the point is that they didn't get there by anything that they as a monolithic group did.]

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I think Black people have the richest history of any other race, they had the best scholars, professors, astronomers.....

Where did they go wrong?

And whites are slinging meth and brown people are moving heroin. Not really sure what you're point is....

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

Where did they go wrong?

what-the-fuck-am-I-reading-700x525.jpg

jp_zer0

Banned
I think its mainly because there are a lot of black people that are liberals.

For example, when I watch a video of Van Jones, it enrages me because of the liberal content. I absolutely loathe Van Jones, but it is mainly his liberal opinions that put me into rage.

zero_suit

I think its mainly because there are a lot of black people that are liberals.

For example, when I watch a video of Van Jones, it enrages me because of the liberal content. I absolutely loathe Van Jones, but it is mainly his liberal opinions that put me into rage.

Sarcasm? The majority of first world nations are liberal compared to the U.S.

Real talk though. They're stuck in a Catch 22.

People are racist and don't give them a fair chance because statistics show black people commit more crimes.

They are driven to crime because they don't have a fair chance in the world and people have a stereotypes on them.

Those "statistics" magically started happening that way in the late 1960's...

Gee, what else happened in the late 1960's that might promote a biased "enforcement" of the law for Blacks in America.....?

iavi

Where did they go wrong?

Lol, the fuck?

SoilBreak

Banned

Where did they go wrong?

Young Money

Ganhyun

Honestly alot of people probably have a bad experience, such as a robbery, mugging, or other crime, committed against them by a black person and then generalize that experience onto all black people.

It's sad. I see racism every day here in GA. From black and white people. Ignorant people on both sides keep the hatred flowing.

As an example, I know white families that are incredibly racist. I know black families that are just as racist.

A friend of mine used to be scared to death of me. He grew up in a insulated community. There were literally no other races around. All he knew about other races is what his friends and family told him. He met me and was scared to death of me. He would not talk around me very much. He would do little things such as make sure he had a wall to his back. He would recognize all the ways out of a room when he entered. When I confronted him about it, he admitted that all he knew about white people were the things his family and friends told him. White people were evil. All we cared about was forcing black people to be our slaves again. We routinely carried around nooses to lynch black people if the mood came upon us. All white people were redneck hillbillies who joined the KKK as children. After talking to me, he relaxed and thanked me for opening his eyes to the fact this is obviously not true.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fairly sure it originates from skin color. I don't pretend to know about every culture in the world, but of the ones I do know, dark skin is not looked upon fondly. In the east Asian countries I've been to and lived in, even people of the same ethnicity often receive discrimination if their skin color is of a darker tone. I've ready that even in African countries (where the vast majority of the populations are "black"), the lighter-skinned population receives better treatment. My limited exposure to Latin American television also seems to indicate that lighter-skinned people are treated better (or at least featured more on television) in those countries.

Why do so many humans seem to prefer lighter skin to darker? That's something I'd be interested in hearing about.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

this is a great post

These conversations are exhausting even to look at on the first page of the O/T. Not that it doesn't warrant discussion or that it doesn't exist, but it is such a pervasive problem that we'll always be dealing with it, and we'll always have the same reasons as to why it exists.

Throughout history, it's all about the color of the skin, and the limitations of the African continent in fostering economic development. The darker skin color is closer to the color of apes (less evolved in the eyes of the ignorant), and Africans being behind in economic development reinforced the idea to the colonists of them being inferior.

Nowadays, it's a vicious circle as the result of institutionalized racism. Limitations, poberty, etc, result in rescentment, rebelliousness, crime, victim mentallity (not for all of course), which in turn reinforce negative stereotypes. Rinse and repeat. There will always be the poor in a society. Sadly, one minority has been historically discriminated against.

I find myself more afraid of black people than white people. But only black people and others who behave a certain way. It's a cultural thing. We're told that black people are the face of crime, black people are dangerous, etc. And to make it worse, a lot of rapper tend to find it hilarious to promote that image of the "tough black guy" and people without any stability to begin with, gyrate to that.

There is nothing inherently bad about black people, but people have been made ot think that way. There is nothing inherently bad about the way a lot of black youth dress, talk or act; but people have been made to think that way. It is just a different kind of attack on black people.

And quite frnakly, a lot of black people are promoting that image as their own. When I'm walking at night, I'm wary of everyone! No lie. But during the day in an isolated area, I'll be more suspicious of someone if I see them wearing "gangsta" clothing. I'm sorry but it's the truth. The people I see wearing that type of dress style are A) Usually not very educated, B) Way too brazen C) Want to act tough. So I tend to cross the street or just ignore them. Here in Canada though, a lot of Asians and Native Americans/Indians dress like that, not just black people. So they all get the "Averting path" from me.

I find the way someone carries themselves to be the discerning factor for me. The way a lot of black people carry themselves in NA is typically very sloppy. I walk with a swag, a lot of my black friends walk with a swag. But we don't overdo it and dress like we just rolled out of bed. Note that this doesn't mean a suit and tie or form fitting clothing. Simply walking with some sense of urgency, not lazily waddling from side to side makes a BIG difference. It's about confidence and the way one promotes themself. And sadly enough, the way we promote ourselves is largely by the very famous people. Because they are the only black people they see or know. White people, Asian people; have it much easier because the vast majority of their famous people are scientists or from famous backgrounds.

So yeah, people love rap music, "black culture" whatever the F that means. But they don't like black people. I might love some heavy rap music, but I don't want to be around an actual gangster. This is sadly what a lot of black youth are failing to see. So when they say "Man! I wish I was black!" They're missing the point that being a black person, you have so much more to prove to begin with.

//Lastly. One last thing I want to touch on is the colour discussion. It is no falsehood that in European cultures, black was traditionally seen as the colour of death, evil, destruction. While in Africa and Japan as far as I know, White is seen as the colour of death. And then you have European civilizations taking power...So it is no coincidence that...we, "black people" got that label stuck to them. Because we were demonic and different. I know very few actual "black" people. And even then I wouldn't say they're outright pitch black. SO you see this terminology being thrown around all the time as a "Black and White" issue. That alone creates such a massive mental gap that one can't help but acknowledge the differences. The majority of "black people" in America are more cocoa and light brown than anything! Yet they are still labeled as being "black" or "African American" and not "American". So a question:

If there are African Americans, Asian American, American Indians. Who are the true Americans? When will those groups become actual Americans? Because it seems that only white people are true Americans. Not, White Americans.
Who are the true Americans?

Honestly alot of people probably have a bad experience, such as a robbery, mugging, or other crime, committed against them by a black person and then generalize that experience onto all black people.

It's sad. I see racism every day here in GA. From black and white people. Ignorant people on both sides keep the hatred flowing.
No.

Tim Wise said:
Ironically, the racialization of danger has skewed our criminal justice resources while doing nothing to make us safe. In 1964, sixty-five percent of inmates were white, while thirty-five percent were people of color. By 1991, the figures had flipped. Did whites decide to stop committing crime in the intervening years, while people of color went nuts? Or was something else at work? According to FBI data, the share of crimes committed by blacks has remained steady for over twenty years, while the number of Blacks in prison has tripled and their rates of incarceration have skyrocketed. Much of this increase is due to the “war on drugs.” Despite the fact that Blacks are fewer than fourteen percent of drug users, they are thirty-five percent of possession arrests, fifty-five percent of possession convictions, and seventy-four percent of those sent to prison for possession. How is the “drug crisis” to be solved by focusing attention on those least responsible for driving the demand side of the problem to begin with?
Similarly, by encouraging whites to fear Blacks, we paint a highly unrealistic picture of danger that leaves people less safe. Less than three percent of blacks will commit a violent crime in a given year, and only a small percentage of these will choose white victims. Only seventeen percent of the attackers of whites are Black, while three-quarters of them are white. Yet, if we’re encouraged to avoid people of color, we let our guards down to the real sources of danger that confront us: spouses, family members or neighbors of our same race.
http://www.timwise.org/1998/10/color-conscious-white-blind-race-crime-and-pathology-in-america/

I think the numbers are a bit old but to say "alot" of white people have been robbed, mugged or had crimes committed against them by a black person is bullshit. There are racist people out there who hate black people that HAVE NEVER MET A BLACK PERSON. Stop perpetuating myths because you are just making excuses for the bigots.

If there are African Americans, Asian American, American Indians. Who are the true Americans? When will those groups become actual Americans? Because it seems that only white people are true Americans. Not, White Americans.
Who are the true Americans?

Native americans are the true 'americans' by racial geographical diferentiation. British colonialists (after the spanish and french I think) would be historically the 'americans' per land estabilishment.
Ethnically, everyone that is born and can be identified by cultural traits of the country, is american.
EDIT: I think.

Ganhyun

No.

http://www.timwise.org/1998/10/color-conscious-white-blind-race-crime-and-pathology-in-america/

I think the numbers are a bit old but to say "alot" of white people have been robbed, mugged or had crimes committed against them by a black person is bullshit. There are racist people out there who hate black people that HAVE NEVER MET A BLACK PERSON. Stop perpetuating myths because you are just making excuses for the bigots.

All my evidence is anecdotal. And my opinion. I never claimed otherwise. Where I live 95% of violent crime is caused by a black person. Does that mean white people do not commit violent crimes? No. It does not. You also ignored the next line where I stated that ignorant people on both sides keep hatred flowing. Anyways, before I get accused of being a racist I'm going to leave this topic. I posted my thoughts on the subject, which is what the OP asked for.

I find the way someone carries themselves to be the discerning factor for me. The way a lot of black people carry themselves in NA is typically very sloppy. I walk with a swag, a lot of my black friends walk with a swag. But we don't overdo it and dress like we just rolled out of bed.

sam3810.gif

Native americans are the true 'americans' by racial geographical diferentiation. British colonialists (after the spanish and french I think) would be historically the 'americans' per land estabilishment.
Ethnically, everyone that is born and can be identified by cultural traits of the country, is american.
EDIT: I think.

I know who the true Americans are.

My point is, in America. You guys always refer to everyone BUT white people as " X American". When it is Native Americans who are the actual Americans. But white people somehow are the "true" Americans. It's disgusting.

Honesty time!

You see a black man walking towards you in Jeans and a Tee. How do you react?

You see a black man walking towards you with overly bagging clothing, a loose fitting hat, lame $2 Jewels. How do you react?

Which of those two people are you going to be more wary of? This really has little to do with colour and much more to do with the way on carries them-self. It isn't even a "Black" people thing. Everyone knows the importance of dressing well, speaking politely and hell; even shaking hands firmly. And no, doing that does not make you a "White person". It makes you an approachable person. Sometimes you have to give a little in order to be accepted. Someone wearing a mask all the time for example, would not be liked by anyone! Dressing and moving with power portrays confidence and assuredness. Are you going to tell me with a straight face that the way a lot of people who idolize rap moguls dress portrays any of that? I see Jazy-Z when he's making deals, going out or business meetings, dressed sharply with a suit or high end clothing and speaking strongly. Yet when he's at a concert or whatever, he's sagging unbelievably.

It annoys me that people like him USE their "own people" to rise.

commedieu

Banned
Why do white people love Wayne Brady lol

I just see seas of confused black people googling this. Genuinely, and honestly confused about it... oh my god. It almost makes up for the rest of the questionable, black people searches...

as far as OP goes..

I think it was covered with the dark skin issue. Being dark just rubs people the wrong way. Its historically evil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom