• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are games with Witches in so damn expensive?

It's an interesting thing I noticed when trying to find interesting games to play.

Every time I come across an extremely rare game on a system, it tends to have a Witch as a main character.

I am pretty sure it's just a conspiracy I am seeing here, but honestly...it's pretty scary that having a Witch as a main character makes the game or series worth so much more than an otherwise obscure mecha game.

Here are examples of games with Witches in it that are WAY too expensive to buy these days, and I honestly think it is safe to just buy a game with a Witch on it for the value to go up.

The Cotton Series (Various)

boomerang.jpg
18898-55129.jpg
T0080.jpg
4944076000334.jpg
cotton4.jpg

Probably the most Japanese series that only ever got....one release on the Neo Geo Pocket Color? (The UK Plastic Box version seems to be very valuable).

The games are known to be excellent, and for Shmup fans, they can be very easy and accessable, but I find it incredibly funny that the series is best known for shipping such limited quantities that the Mega Drive game got Traditional Japanese Tea Cups as a Prize Winning Bonus!

If you own the whole set, you can easily sell it for a few grand!

It's also one of the only Sunsoft Mega Drive games to be of Normal Size. (compared to Super Fantasy Zone, Lemmings and Batman).

All of the games are super expensive, but the Tea Set probably makes the Mega Drive one the most expensive.

TurboDuo Version

Reason: Limited Numbers despite having many entries. A few Competitions with very limited Prizes raising the complete set even more.

Magical Chase (Turbographix 16 and Game Boy)

220px-Magical_Chase_video_game_cover.jpg
default.jpg
PA.54229.001.jpg

A little known Gem, that came out very late in the TG16's life.

They changed a lot of things to the game when it came out in America, meaning that the Japanese version is likely worth even more.

The game easily goes for $300+ and if that's not bad enough, the Game Boy Colour Varient goes for this much too, despite being a watered down port.

Do you really wanna look?

Reason: Late release and changed appearance in the US (TG16), Late Release on the GBC in Japan.

Twinkle Tale (Mega Drive)
TwinkleTaleReviewFront.jpg

The one game I honestly wish to own. It's an obscure virtual shooter that I don't believe even got great advertising in Japan.

It was released by an unknown developer and publisher and seems to be extremely rare. Easily going for £300+.

Reason: Lack of Advertising, Limited Quantities and Obscure developer/publisher

Wendy Witch Way (Game Boy Colour)

220px-Wendy-EWW_coverart.jpg

A late release game that has an interesting platforming premise.

The game is mentioned on Racket Boy as one of the rarer titles (along with Magical Chase GBC) that easily goes for $100s and I believe it was made for America rather than Japan, but I would contribute a late release as to why it is rare, plus WayForward before Shantae.

It's a licensed game about Casper's friend so it is likely never going to get a re-release either. (Never came out in Europe so a US Exclusive)

How Much it is Worth

Reason: Limited Quantities, based off of the Casper License and Late Release.

Stella Glow (Nintendo 3DS)

91u6S2JfbxL._SX569_.jpg

A very recent Tactical RPG game that only came out in 2016. It is the last Imageepoch game to release and SEGA/ATLUS picked it up to distribute.

NISA released a Limited Edition (which I own as I liked the premise), which is slowly reaching £170+ with the standard game going for £50+ now.

I hope that SEGA re-releases this.

Reason: Obscure game and Developer Closure

Twinkle Star Sprites (Neo Geo, Saturn, PS2 and Dreamcast)

packshot-d74abd0c26ed286da83553f9ff55cc19.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
285215-twinkle-star-sprites-la-petite-princesse-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg
s-l1000.jpg

The game is considered an amazing Multiplayer Experience for Shmup fans and has kept demand high despite a digital release on the PS4 (ADK Collection). PS3 release was Physical in Japan only.

All things considered, the main character is more of a fairy than a Witch but it's interesting to note that they do use a broom.

The Saturn version has additional content at least but may not replicate the Arcade experience of the Neo Geo version.

There is a release on PS2 which is cheaper, but I believe it is not as good of a port/remake. The character artwork reminds me of a Certain Magical Girl anime that is Dark too.

Value of the Game on Neo Geo

Reason: Best version on Neo Geo has kept the prices of the other ports high.

A Witch's Tale (Nintendo DS)

97747_front.jpg

Only came out in America but it seems to be creeping up in Price for whatever reason. (there IS an American Version of this game but the Images are terrible, but it is more akin to a Disgaea looking Character than this one).

Reason: Unknown....likely small quantities.

Alisia Dragoon

220px-Alisia_Dragoon_PAL.jpg
AlisiaDragoonCaption1.jpg

She does magic, so I guess she is a Witch/Sorcress but the Artwork for the West fooled people.

Due to the marketing of the game as a Gladiator with a Ferocious Dragon in the West, people likely assumed this was another typical western Hack n Slash game, but it's a very competent platformer that uses basic RPG mechanics.

The game seems more rarer in America than in Europe, which seems to have reasonable prices, so I would say that US copies are worth more in this case.

The Japan version however has beautiful box at as shown above.

Reason: Bad Image Marketing by the Publisher at the time (US only)

Magical Doropie/The Krion Conquest

42156_front.jpg
f84ebe0064de74e9f9a82d67f2fb8b78.jpg

A very Obscure NES Gem that looks like a Mega Man game and made by Vic Tokai (the same dudes who never gave us Battle Mania in Europe or Battle Mania 2 in general)

I would say that the game's Boxart didn't do it justice and looking like a Mega Man Clone made it even worse.

Reason: Limited Release and Bad Box Art for America (doesn't help that it looks like a Mega Man Clone)

Bonus Game: Keio's Flying Squadron 1&2 (MEGA CD/SEGA Saturn)

page1-602px-Keio_Flying_Squadron_MCD_EU_Manual.pdf.jpg
2468731-box.png

Not technically a Witch game, but I will include it just to highlight this scenario as the character is a Bunny Girl who rides on a Carrot Stick (like a parody of a Witch)

The Demo is infamous for letting you play the whole game....via a Cheat Code.

You heard that right, the guys who were supposed to put this out as a Demo forgot to take out the Cheat Code!

The main game on the Mega/SEGA CD is worth a huge amount, but the Demo Version is still pretty high if only because people know how to get past Level 1.

The second game however only came out in Europe in terms of a Western Appearance and seems to be holding its value well. (Over £1000 from what I have seen)

Doesn't help that I believe JVC have since they sold their gaming Division to Pack-In-Video which in turn went into Marvelous who will likely sit on this franchise forever...

Keio Flying Prices

Reason: Demo version has the full game via a Cheat Code, thereby people not buying the main game. Sequel came out in Europe only, limiting the sales of the series to Americans.

There are a few games that haven't gone up for various reasons, that I would like to point out.

Bayonetta 1&2

3max.jpg
61ymLupgHPL.AC_SX215_.jpg

I would say it is mostly thanks to being recognised as a good game and funded by Nintendo.

On top of this, it has been ported on the more popular Switch, however I will state that Bayonetta 2 only got a Physical copy on the Switch in Japan so the Japanese version will be worth more.

Reason: In the Spotlight thanks to Smash and ported a few times (Bayonetta 1 numerous times, 2 on Switch)

Deathsmiles 1 and 2

220px-Deathsmiles.jpg
220px-DeathsmilesII.jpg

These games are not that costly yet but I think it will be soon because CAVE make great games and Shmups tend to hold their value much better than other genres at the moment.

I would say though that the Gothic Lolita (or Loli) appearance may have put a few off which maybe a factor in why it hasn't gone up but this is just speculation.

Very good Shmups I believe.

Reason: Unknown to many gamers as of yet. Can still be obtained at a good price. Likely the Boxart appearance.

Current trend

Please be aware that in future that these games COULD go for more as CAVE is a renowned Developer that have a good history of expensive games on the PS2 and PS1.

Bullet Witch (Xbox 360/Steam)

220px-Bulletwitchcover.jpg

This is another game that hasn't really crept up in price but I heard that isn't that good. It's also getting a PC release.

Reason: Not the best game to play as it is quite clunky but has its fans and is getting a PC Port soon.

Witch and the Hundred Knight Series (PS3/PS4)

220px-TheWitchAndTheHundredKnight.jpg
220px-Witch-and-hundred-knight2.jpg

This game is that type of game that didn't take off because it has a game changing bug that put off a lot of people, as well as not fixing this in the remake on PS4 I believe. The sequel is still available but history may go against this. Unlike A Witch's Tale, this game did get more advertising so was likely assumed to have sold well.

Reason: Game breaking bug that wasn't fixed. Sequel doesn't look promising as it deviates from the first game in plot and gameplay.

One to watch out for!

Dragon Star Varnir (PS4 - Coming out Soon)

pc-and-video-games-games-ps4-dragon-star-varnir.png

It's one game I have spotted now and again across Gaming Websites that looks interesting.

Given it is an Idea Factory game, it usually means low sales and dubious gameplay, but hey....it's a Witch Game, coming out of nowhere and it could be a good game!

I'm definitely watching out for reviews on this one and will likely be a hidden gem just because of being obscure, an RPG and is currently flying under the radar unbeknownst to everyone except from the NepNep fans (or are they unaware as well?)

Reasons to keep an eye out: Potentially going to be limited in copies, an Idea Factory game...the Company tends to not do a big Print Run, Limited Edition and a somewhat late PS4 release.

Anyway, that's my thoughts and some evidence on the matter. Hopefully it brings some interesting conversation and whether or not I am crazy (I already know I am!)

Hope to hear your thoughts! 😄

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
I was gonna say “because witches are hot and people will spend any amount to see sexy witches”. But then I saw that most of the examples you posted are lolis or young teens. 😬

Maybe there’s a cult of witches cursing them to be rare and obscure so they won’t the tarnish the witches’ street cred.

A high-quality thread from OP :messenger_fire: :messenger_ok:

I never knew about this trend, especially since I have an eBay seller's account and sold on Amazon before too. I guess I never tried to search for games with witches as main characters but great read nonetheless!

Wondering what else would make a game valuable besides rarity and whatnot.

I was gonna say “because witches are hot and people will spend any amount to see sexy witches”. But then I saw that most of the examples you posted are lolis or young teens. 😬

Maybe there’s a cult of witches cursing them to be rare and obscure so they won’t the tarnish the witches’ street cred.

lol I was thinking it could be the young witch aspect but that doesn't explain Alisia! 🤣

It's quite interesting though and makes you wonder if we could play the market to our advantage.

MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima : Thanks! It's been on my mind for so long from a few years back when I was looking for games to play.

Got Stella Glow actually with this mindset and lo and behold...it's come to be expensive!

Last edited:
Since the advancement of science Witches have lost a lot of work as the world has evolved and has moved past paying for curses. Games depicting witches clearly are part of a cornered market by witches themselves trying to raise what little capital they can since they have not evolved. Shows such as Charmed and comics such as Sabrina are also ways that witches make money. Clearly there needs to be a worker program for witches as they need help acclimating to the new world.

Great OP by the way as I have never thought about this and after you pointed it out it got me thinking about the topic.

>why are mostly obscure games expensive
hmmm i wonder

Most are obscure but it's weird to see that most of the Witch games in particular going for much more than other types of games.

Bullet Witch is obscure but it's not worth much. Same for Deathsmiles but I would say that the boxart will put off many without seeing that CAVE made it.

Since the advancement of science Witches have lost a lot of work as the world has evolved and has moved past paying for curses. Games depicting witches clearly are part of a cornered market by witches themselves trying to raise what little capital they can since they have not evolved. Shows such as Charmed and comics such as Sabrina are also ways that witches make money. Clearly there needs to be a worker program for witches as they need help acclimating to the new world.

Great OP by the way as I have never thought about this and after you pointed it out it got me thinking about the topic.

Thanks for the great post! Although Harry Potter has the 90% market share there (poor Charmed)..

I am thinking that the Japanese didn't think it was a big market in Japan (or even Europe/America) to bother.

The only Cotton game we do get in the West is an NGPC Color version and even then....the UK version is worth more because we got them in Plastic Cases over Cardboard that the Americans got. I once looked one up on eBay and someone was selling it...in Canada for.....$300!!!

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
I think part of the reason they didn’t recieve much marketing and they didn’t sell well with consumers is because this type of aesthetic doesn’t appeal much to western audiences. First impressions are everything, and people over here are put off of by seeing moe japanese cartoon girls on the front of the box. I don’t know anyone IRL that would have any interest in a game that looks like that. Hell, I tend to be a lot more open-minded than most when comes to niche games, and just looking at these covers I don’t find these games at all interesting.

Colorful moe anime girls evoke mental images of boring cutesy easy games that were made for little girls. Which is pretty much the opposite of the average western videogame player want. People here want cool rather than cute. They’re much more likely to be interested in a shooter with a cool military man on the cover, or a racing game with a sleek sexy sports-car on it.

More importantly, publishers know this, so they aren’t gonna waste money advertising to a market that probably won’t buy it anyway, so they just release it and hope it gets some niche success.

Compare to Bayonetta and Bullet Witch which both feauture 3D-rendered sexy women that western markets tend to feel positively about, or Witch and the Hundred Knight which is less moe which got more advertising, if what you say is true.

Of course, this is all speculation. I am not a games publisher or a marketer, and I cannot speak for all consumers.
But I feel this is a likely explanation.

Last edited:
I think part of the reason they didn’t recieve much marketing and they didn’t sell well with consumers is because this type of aesthetic doesn’t appeal much to western audiences. First impressions are everything, and people over here are put off of by seeing moe japanese cartoon girls on the front of the box. I don’t know anyone IRL that would have any interest in a game that looks like that. Hell, I tend to be a lot more open-minded than most when comes to niche games, and just looking at these covers I don’t find these games at all interesting.

Colorful moe anime girls evoke mental images of boring cutesy easy games that were made for little girls. Which is pretty much the opposite of the average western videogame player want. People here want cool rather than cute. They’re much more likely to be interested in a shooter with a cool military man on the cover, or a racing game with a sleek sexy sports-car on it.

More importantly, publishers know this, so they aren’t gonna waste money advertising to a market that probably won’t buy it anyway, so they just release it and hope it gets some niche success.

Compare to Bayonetta and Bullet Witch which both feauture 3D-rendered sexy women that western markets tend to feel positively about, or Witch and the Hundred Knight which is less moe which got more advertising, if what you say is true.

Of course, this is all speculation. I am not a games publisher or a marketer, and I cannot speak for all consumers.
But I feel this is a likely explanation.

It is very likely the case, but it makes you wonder why they would make these games in the first place really if they don't sell. :(

And some of these games sell poorly even in Japan (the ones who love Moe stuff!)

Would be hilarious that people our age when we were young hated these games and now they are eating it all up in droves.

If these games really did sell terribly, then you would assume they would stop doing them, but Cotton seems to be one of the only games that carried on with sequels (which is going to get a new game as well!)

Bullet Witch is an interesting one though....I would expect that to go up simply because it's so hardcore but the game is very much a B Tiered Title.

Believe me about Bayonetta, it would have very likely gotten rarer if it never got a sequel funded by Nintendo. The game is amazing and would be classed as a hidden gem if it weren't for Nintendo's marketing. It's not a million seller but it does have appeal. :)

Witch and the Hundred Knight is weird as it is unbeatable due to a glitch. I think the remake kept the glitch in too!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Baba Yaga’s DLC for Tomb Raider was alright. Baba Yaga is a very well known folklore witch. Yet the DLC was alright. I think those games satisfy a creative itch for video game enthusiast, especially since they’re from Japan. Look at Far East of Eden or Lunar SSSC, excellent produced games, especially for the JRPG enthusiast.

I think it might also come from overestimating the market. I’ve seen copies of Worms on N64 at close to $200 and copies of .Hack up near $100. I think there’s an issue with availability when it comes to “cute” titles like these. They aren’t necessarily produced all the time and their ideas weren’t made for a P2W market.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
What a weird premise, but what an awesome thread! I have no idea why they're more expensive. All I know is that I really really need at least one more respectable Twinkle Star Sprites game before I die. Rival Megagun seems like a cool adjunct but I want the real deal, robo-cat warrior and all.

PhoenixTank

Crown Jewel of the early Switch library "Vroom in the Night Sky" and its accessible price would like to have a word, OP.
Though I guess it doesn't count since there is no physical version?
Perhaps in several years, when the eshop is dead, Switch consoles with Vroom installed will be worth a kidney...

The best witch game is Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia.

Damn. I saw that once for £20 and passed up on it as I couldn't get the money at the time but now it's pretty expensive.

Might still bite when I get the chance though.

Crown Jewel of the early Switch library "Vroom in the Night Sky" and its accessible price would like to have a word, OP.
Though I guess it doesn't count since there is no physical version?
Perhaps in several years, when the eshop is dead, Switch consoles with Vroom installed will be worth a kidney...

You never know! It could!

Although the gamw is known to be terrible so it would most likely be seen as a curio more than anything if it did.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Damn. I saw that once for £20 and passed up on it as I couldn't get the money at the time but now it's pretty expensive.

Might still bite when I get the chance though.
Konami might do a collection of DS Castlevania games.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
In the west we are a little too conscious of the history of witch hunts, it’s too political of a topic, plus everyone is so crazy about religion, either you are an evangelical Christian or a atheist. Nuance is not really encouraged here, everything is far more political.

Japan is a different culture, they have less hang ups, hence why Castlevania games could have crosses and stuff whereas it gets censored here in the west. Also similar to how religions are often used in Japanese games as a more nuanced take, whereas in the US it feels like either it’s seen as good or bad. For instance FFX has a plot about religious duty that isn’t strictly anti or pro, it takes a more personal approach through Yuna’s story.

Japan has less hang ups, thus they made more games, and Japanese games are more expensive. Simple

Last edited:
Konami might do a collection of DS Castlevania games.

I sure hope so. I own Dawn of Sorrow but not the others.

Cotton 2 has fantastic music

I love that game! (Own it)

Very accessable too for beginners.

Era admins all up in here with lotion and tissues.

The guy above you has them ready! I have a funny feeling I have seen that before...and not as a good reason.
How much for this witch?
9PbPOwS.gif

Dragon's Crown is one of my all time faves. I mained the Elf!

Original game is cheap but the Pro Version kept its price thanks to Koch Media's low print run in Europe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom