• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are people down on Smart Glass?

I am down on Smart Glass because nothing about its E3 demonstration showed it as being practical or useful to me. I use my Xbox 360 to play games and watch Netflix and that's it. It is not my entertainment box the way MS wants it to be. I'm sure SG will be useful to people somewhere.

saichi

Yep.

Rayman Legends for the Wii U would be a good example of that.

I'm pretty sure Smart Glass wouldn't be able to do Raymond Legend on Wii U since the one holding the gamepad is actually see the same as it is on TV and not just a second scrreen with other stuff.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
It's not that the idea is bad, but look at about two minutes into the video. Xbox marketing manager lady asks the person filming if she is near the end of the map because you can't concentrate on screen and on the phone at the same time. This is the huge difference between smartglass and what the wii u offers. The screen is easily in front of you to look at.

Do you hold up your controller in front of your face while your playing, or do you some handicap that prevents you from holding your controller with one hand?

I use my iPad to look at maps and use game faqs\walk throughs all the time when I play, it's never been an issue.

Buy a 5$ stand from walmart to sit on your coffee table, problem solved you barely need to take your eyes off of the TV, and for many tasks a touchscreen has HUGE advantages over a sticks or a d-pad.

I am down on Smart Glass because nothing about its E3 demonstration showed it as being practical or useful to me. I use my Xbox 360 to play games and watch Netflix and that's it. It is not my entertainment box the way MS wants it to be. I'm sure SG will be useful to people somewhere.

Did you bother to watch the youtube video of a working demo posted above?

UberTag

I'm not big on the idea of SmartGlass for gaming.
I LOVE the idea of SmartGlass for other forms of entertainment.

Specifically...

Live sports - I want to have stats show up of certain players seamlessly after big plays, being able to select from multiple camera angles right on my tablet and to fling them over to my television to switch shots.

If someone is up to bat, I want to see streaks, his batting average, what he did last time he faced that pitcher, etc.

If I'm watching a NASCAR event, I want to see a seamlessly updating grid of all the racers from overhead and being able to switch to dozens of car cams or to listen in to their pit crews.

If I'm watching the NFL, I want to see the play that was last called, check out replays at an instant or switch between games on my TV just by tapping them off a score grid.

I also love the application for other types of programming like reality TV (switching between multiple Big Brother cams would be easier this way than through my laptop), award shows and the news.

Could care less about SmartGlass application with gaming as of right now.

Dabanton

I never considered the juggling act problem but that's because I have my laptop and tablet (on a stand) always sitting next to me while I play games already. It drives my wife crazy but I need the sensory overload :). As a chievo guy, it helps on cleanup playthroughs tremendously.

I think this is a wise move by MS. I think this and Kinect will payoff big in the long run.

Pretty much how I do it. I've got a small laptop stand setup next to my 'gaming' chair. So if this thing is used for maps,inventory etc i don't even need to 'juggle' items. I just put the iPad standing like this and play.

dsc07223dv72z.jpg

Mrbob

People need to stop arguing against me that I'm against the concept. I'm for it, on a device like the Wii U pad controller.

So it's better to leave the game and navigate into a separate set of menus to look at the map, inventory or read additional information screens?

Yeah it is because you're still concentrating on the tv. I don't know why this concept is so hard to grasp.

I'm playing Ass Creed 1 on PC right now with the 360 controller. I hit select to check the map quick, and select to get back. Wow that was rough.

Raide

Because despite the fact that Xbox Smart Glass looks neato, they didn't announce any games that would get me to actually turn on my 360 in the first place.

Well, they kinda did not say it was for games. They just showed off the media stuff. I don;t think it will be long till something game related it shown off.

Hammer24

Banned
If I'm watching a NASCAR event, I want to see a seamlessly updating grid of all the racers from overhead and being able to switch to dozens of car cams or to listen in to their pit crews.

Thats basically how I watch Formula 1 nowadays. The official F1 timing app for android is a great info tool while the race is on to have on the tablet.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not big on the idea of SmartGlass for gaming.
I LOVE the idea of SmartGlass for other forms of entertainment.

Specifically...

Live sports - I want to have stats show up of certain players seamlessly after big plays, being able to select from multiple camera angles right on my tablet and to fling them over to my television to switch shots.

If someone is up to bat, I want to see streaks, his batting average, what he did last time he faced that pitcher, etc.

If I'm watching the NFL, I want to see the play that was last called, check out replays at an instant or switch between games on my TV just by tapping them off a score grid.

I also love the application for other types of programming like reality TV (switching between multiple Big Brother cams would be easier this way than through my laptop), award shows and the news.

Could care less about SmartGlass application with gaming as of right now.

I'm optimistic this functionality will extend to the apps on 360 as well. ESPN3 please.

megamerican

Most of the stuff they showed seemed like hypothetical bullshit. When you think of all the media available on XBL it would impossible to devote the resources to create meaningful interactive elements for most of them.

Which means it's likely just another control interface for navigating menus.

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm pretty sure Smart Glass wouldn't be able to do Raymond Legend on Wii U since the one holding the gamepad is actually see the same as it is on TV and not just a second scrreen with other stuff.

While that's true, I don't think it's necessary to show exactly what the TV is showing for a game like Rayman Legends.

Just prompt the user with the smartphone or tablet when it's time for them to help out and then let them control items as they appear on the phone or tablet's screen.

Like in rayman, the person with the Wii U tablet can help to raise up platforms in levels for the other people playing.

For smartglass, I can see the player with the tablet or smartphone having an in-game platform on their screen (and nothing else) that they can control by swiping their finger up and down. The person with the smartglass will already be looking at the TV so he/she will know when to use smartglass to raise the platform up. When they swipe their finger up, the platform will raise and come back down as it will in the game itself.

So yeah, I can see it working well.

zroid

Banned
Not sure why it's so difficult for people to wrap their negative heads around, I have my ipad sitting on a 5$ stand on my coffee table where I console game, it would take about .1 second for me to look down and use it as a map, inventory, book or reading device(as someone mentioned for Skyrim)

it's not so much a problem of looking at the touchscreen, it's manipulating it. regardless, if you honestly believe that there is advantage in having a second screen awkwardly perched outside your line of sight, most likely on a flat surface that isn't at a comfortable 90 degree viewing angle, more power to you. I think it'd be bizarre and toilsome.

Raide

Most of the stuff they showed seemed like hypothetical bullshit. When you think of all the media available on XBL it would impossible to devote the resources to create meaningful interactive elements for most of them.

Which means it's likely just another control interface for navigating menus.

One team is made within MS that spends all their time making that stuff. Sorted! They already have most of that built in, since you can see images and information about the titles just from the dashboard. Link to IMDB for extra stuff, sorted!

I don't care for it when applied to anything other than games. I think gaming can actually benefit the most from it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I just imagine things like if Alpha Protocol implemented it. All dossiers, searchable and readable on demand by your couch partner. You're in timed conversations with options, and your partner can let you know what these people are like, don't bullshit them, etc. Small things like that. That is what I want. Whether we'll see it, again, is up to the developer but it's exciting potential to me.

I know this a slightly tired thing to say, but I think that if Apple introduced Smart Glass, people would see what a big deal it is.

With SG, Microsoft has solved a crucial problem for the living room: there was no good interface to wade through all that content. And no, Kinect doesn't count.

Now, whether or not it ever gets used in gaming, there is a clear, established way to search for things and control the UI in a way that casuals are familiar with.

If Microsoft figures out how to market and sell it, it could be a huge deal. The mainstream/tech press is just now catching up to the idea that MS is way ahead of Apple in the living room - and this looks to solidify that position by providing an interface well suited to the living room.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
They could really do some neat XBLA 2 player stuff with this. I hope for more Pac Man Vs like ideas to come from this.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah it is because you're still concentrating on the tv. I don't know why this concept is so hard to grasp.

As I said in my previous post, to view things in some deeper games, you usually have to go into a bunch of menus away from the game itself. With smartglass, you can have your smartphone or tablet right next to you, play the game, pick it up if you want to change some things about your game, and then go back to the game instantly especially if the menu stays on the phone or tablet. Plus, touchscreen helps to save time since with a controller, you may have to scroll down or up a lot using the d-pad or analog stick. On phones or tablets, you can just swipe and touch.

I'm playing Ass Creed 1 on PC right now with the 360 controller. I hit select to check the map quick, and select to get back. Wow that was rough.

Yeah since that situation you mentioned while you were playing Assassin's Creed = all situations with games that have menus

:|

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Not sure I really get it(maybe I'm not "core" enough), I'd love for my iPad to be able to be used in conjunction with Xbox games and the dashboard.

There's tons of games that could make something like this very useful, would be cool if a second player could use the iPad for like aiming, fire control, navigation, I can think of endless uses for this idea in a single or multiples on the same couch. Apple TV already does something like this were you can play Zombie Gunship on your television but use the iPad screen as a radar, it's super cool.

So whats with all the negativity?

There are tons of games that could make use of it (the usefulness of which is arguable), but none will. How many people are actually going to use the feature? Probably a small segment on the consumer base, so you can't build a game around it. And if you can't build the game around it, chances are whatever functionality a developer actually incorporates won't amount to much.

zroid

Banned
They could really do some neat XBLA 2 player stuff with this. I hope for more Pac Man Vs like ideas to come from this.

yep, the most potential lies with asymmetric gameplay, I believe. I think some good stuff could from this.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If xbox360achievements.org managed to partner with a lot of the developers and have an Achievements tab that DID something meaningful...oh boy howdy, I'd be all over that.

syko de4d

looks not that bad but i think not many games will use it, i think Smartglass for Xbox360 is only a little Preview for what we will see on xbox3.

Is really nice to see how many things are changed during the lifecycle of xbox360

MajorPain

It isn't that I am against smart glass but the problem for me is they are turning my console into a set top box and not that this is a bad thing but I feel like game development may be taking a backseat because of it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
yep, the most potential lies with asymmetric gameplay, I believe. I think some good stuff could from this.

It really could. Madden - give it a player and coach mode, with you and your friend. Coach calls the play. Player HAS to play it and make it work. And this is just the beginning.

What was shown was VH1 Pop-Up Video that you don't even get to look at on the same screen. It's like optional Pop-Up Video if you decide to STOP watching what you're watching.

However, using my iPad to control my 360 would be sweet. So I'm hoping.

Mrbob

As I said in my previous post, to view things in some deeper games, you usually have to go into a bunch of menus away from the game itself. With smartglass, you can have your smartphone or tablet right next to you, play the game, pick it up if you want to change some things about your game, and then go back to the game instantly especially if the menu stays on the phone or tablet. Plus, touchscreen helps to save time since with a controller, you may have to scroll down or up a lot using the d-pad or analog stick. On phones or tablets, you can just swipe and touch.

Yeah since that situation you mentioned while you were playing Assassin's Creed = all situations with games that have menus

Play games on the best platform and you don't have to resort to gimmicks to enhance the experience. I play most my games on PC with keyboard and mouse and easy, fast, quick navigation.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
And if it enables devs to port easier between WiiU and 360, using SG as an substitute for the WiiU controller screen?

This is fucking ridiculous, that would mean anyone that doesn't have a Smart Glass device would be shit out of luck. No way in HELL will this happen.

njean777

Because I dont have or need a tablet for any reason, and controlling games on the iphone is not interesting at all to me. If I am watching a show I am watching a show, not screwing around on my phone at the same time, same thing for games.

Bgamer90

Banned
Play games on the best platform and you don't have to resort to gimmicks to enhance the experience. I play most my games on PC with keyboard and mouse and easy, fast, quick navigation.

LOL, so it's my (and other people's) fault for not having the game on PC?

What about the games that don't come out on PC and/or games that are offline co-op?

Come on. Being elitist about something like this is silly.

Like most things that are introduced this late in the cycle AND left for the developers to do something with it will have very little support. But still, if you already have a tablet and this is free, it's gonna be a cool thing to have.

Btw, anyone that enjoyed the using the tablet/smartphone as a track pad for IE part, you can do that on PS3 right now. There's an app for android called bluetoothdroid, or something like that. Works pretty well, also lets you use it as a wireless keyboard/dualshock.

*edit*

Found it: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...Nlcmtlci5hbmRyb2lkLmFwcHMuYmx1ZXB1dGRyb2lkIl0.

clav

This is fucking ridiculous, that would mean anyone that doesn't have a Smart Glass device would be shit out of luck. No way in HELL will this happen.

?

The SG device, which you may already own (e.g. iOS, Android, Windows phone/computer), would be an add-on to the experience, not a requirement.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar

I sit behind a computer 50-60 hours per week, I'd rather gauge a fork into my eye than spend another second behind a PC or laptop

Sorry but navigating menu's\maps and shit like that is a 100x easier on a touchscreen, rather than having to get out of the game and navigate a bunch of menu's and sub menu's

You must be clumsy on consoles, I play PC games and console games and have no problem with either.

Did you bother to watch the youtube video of a working demo posted above?

Yes. I'm not talking people out of using Smart Glass. I'm saying nothing about it, including what that video showed, interested me. I'm happy playing games the way I am now. Even I'll admit I've occasionally used my iPad to go to GameFAQs or look up a map if the game provides none. MS is trying to make it sound as if I need SG. For the moment, I disagree with that.

GorillaJu

It looks like the most pointless expansion of non-interactive content. It's the kind of thing your grandfather who keeps up with technological advances looks at and sends an email to you to show how awesome tech is.

When there is an applicable, practical use for it, it'll definitely catch on, though not necessarily through MS or the Xbox.

Or maybe it'll take off when people can play Angry Birds on their oven.

Smartglass is a non-starter.

Developers will never implement Smartglass as a main feature of a game because not everyone has a capable phone/tablet, or simply just wont be bothered to use the feature.

Much like Kinect, not everyone has one and you will see the odd niche game that uses it as one of the main ways of controlling the game and the rest will just add smart glass features like menus, inventories and information.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
?

The SG device, which you may already own (e.g. iOS, Android, Windows phone/computer), would be an add-on to the experience, not a requirement.

I know not all WiiU games will require the controller, but the ones that do use it as a primary experience would be shit out of luck on the 360. That is my point.

Sure the Batmans or Assassin's Creeds would just add to the experience, but hopefully there are devs out there trying to push the use of the WiiU Controller more than just a nice feature to have.

Speaking of which, has Nintendo shown anything that would actually require the controller as part of the experience and not just a nice add-on? I haven't really been following this E3 outside a few things.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
?

Which is why no one will support it. It's too late to introduce another gimmick, they already have Kinect to push. I'm sure they will wedge it into some first party games, but it will be largely forgotten. Maybe they can make it a requirement next gen, but that also pisses off devs.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Well, they kinda did not say it was for games. They just showed off the media stuff. I don;t think it will be long till something game related it shown off.

What? They showed off Smart Glass functionality in Halo 4 at the conference.

Mrbob

If Smart Glass becomes the next big thing in gaming I'll eat my hat (figuratively, jerkies!).

I have an android phone and ipad, so MS will have a chance to wow me!

mbmonk

I am warming up to SG, but I think some people are letting their imagination run w/o being concerned with the details.

If the game is non linear,sandbox, etc and the map is actually important then the dev is going to make it easy to access or just put it on the playing screen.

Arma 2, map one button press away. GTA, Diablo 3 a partial map is on the screen. If it's important it will be easy to get to, assuming decent game design. If it's a linear corridor game then maybe they make you dig for the map.

Bgamer90

Banned

Wow. Amazing ideas.

That would be cool.

Top Bottom