• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are people down on Smart Glass?

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Not sure I really get it(maybe I'm not "core" enough), I'd love for my iPad to be able to be used in conjunction with Xbox games and the dashboard.

There's tons of games that could make something like this very useful, would be cool if a second player could use the iPad for like aiming, fire control, navigation, I can think of endless uses for this idea in a single or multiples on the same couch. Apple TV already does something like this were you can play Zombie Gunship on your television but use the iPad screen as a radar, it's super cool.

So whats with all the negativity?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Because nothing they showed would let you do what you described. Currently it's just a parallel app/data, synced to what you are doing on the Xbox. A bit like a picture in picture directors commentary on a bluray.

Streaming locally to your tablet would be very different. Doable (Sony are basically doing that with vita and LBP2 as their wiiU spoiler), but the current MS method is very data light and Internet based.

Tried finding a picture from that episode of The Simpsons where Homer and Marge go to the candy convention and he talks to the guy selling wax lips, but couldn't find one.

Man: Hey, sir! Try our wax lips: the candy of 1,000 uses!

Homer: Like what?

Man: One, a humorous substitute for your own lips!

Homer: Mm hmm, keep going.

Man: Two, er...ooh, I'm needed in the basement!

Get MamaRobotnik to make a gif...

You know how I know Jon Snow is north of The Wall? Because I pay attention to the plot as I'm watching the show, I'm not distracted reading shit on my phone!

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It won't be used, there'll just be a handful demo applications that will use this concept and that will be it. Why would developers/publishers make all that effort for something that's not integral to gameplay, will be used by a handful of people and costs a lot of money to develop?

Patryn

It sounds great and full of possibility, but so did the Wii's motion controls and Kinect. Look how that turned out.

Basically: I don't very many things will take advantage of it, and it'll be gimmick shoved into a few things before people realize that they don't know what to do with it.

Dunlop

Because it's gaming uses are light (never a good thing on Gaf) and people want to try and compare it to the WiiU tablet.

I think it will be good as it is obviously a testing ground and will incorporated more thoroughly in the next system. The fact they are not trying to force it only on windows phones/tablets is a great sign

Hammer24

Banned
Smart Glass seems one of the most interesting things of this years E3. I just hope they really really support it.

Karak

Not sure I really get it(maybe I'm not "core" enough), I'd love for my iPad to be able to be used in conjunction with Xbox games and the dashboard.

There's tons of games that could make something like this very useful, would be cool if a second player could use the iPad for like aiming, fire control, navigation, I can think of endless uses for this idea in a single or multiples on the same couch. Apple TV already does something like this were you can play Zombie Gunship on your television but use the iPad screen as a radar, it's super cool.

So whats with all the negativity?

Hey it might be cool. But their entire bit about it seemed to be based around 1 thing.
Hey our stuff CAN do the same thing as the Wiiu or close, and its on items "you already have today" as they said many times. It seemed a clear cut reminder that a new system isn't needed. That coupled with the poor presentation from Wiiu might have actually made it somewhat useful as a presentation piece for them. On the other hand MS at times DOES push things to fruition(kinect) that seem like they are just out there. *Shrugs*

Truth or not, for some it was effective, for those who are accustomed to the big 3 making promises of various things and not delivering it had the smack of years passed promises from the console makers that never came to pass.

Ricker

Still not sure what this is...is it a Tablet per say (hardware)or just an app that you will download from the 360 Marketplace.?

tzare

i see it interesting as a remote control and used as a remote play device for video content. No so much for gaming. I wonder how it works though, if you need the console connected to a router and uses LAN or ad-hoc . I guess i am out as i have my 360 offline and is and old premium without wifi (maybe uses gamepad wifi channels? )

wrowa

Personally, the idea to need both a controller and a tablett at the same time kinda breaks most potential uses I would be interested in.

You know how I know Jon Snow is north of The Wall? Because I pay attention to the plot as I'm watching the show, I'm not distracted reading shit on my phone!

Yeah, I was gonna post this. It's a nice idea in theory, but reading additional info on the tablet just means that you will miss parts of the running episode. Great success!

tinfoilhatman

It won't be used, there'll just be a handful demo applications that will use this concept and that will be it. Why would developers/publishers make all that effort for something that's not integral to gameplay, will be used by a handful of people and costs a lot of money to develop?

Not sure I get this, how many people do you know WITHOUT and Windows\Android\iOS mobile device?

You guys could very well be right I just see allot of potential there based on my experiences with iOS+Apple TV , it's Microsoft people said the exact same thing about Kinnect or whatever it's called.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Because nothing they showed would let you do what you described. Currently it's just a parallel app/data, synced to what you are doing on the Xbox.

They showed some control stuff in the madden concept, right?

Aiming at the TV would be pretty easy to accomplish, I think.

I think it's a clever way to do this kind of stuff, not needing extra proprietary investments, leveraging things people will probably already have. Although obviously not having the screen+controller in one unit ala the Wii-U is the trade-off.

But still, I do see some potential in some games for companion apps on everyday mobile hardware interacting with console games.

KageMaru

Using it to control my console and browser (if it isn't shit) is kinda neat, but I really don't care about information being sent to my smartphone while I'm watching a movie.

Hammer24

Banned
I think it's a clever way to do this kind of stuff, not needing extra proprietary investments, leveraging things people will probably already have.

Absolutely this.

But still, I do see some potential in some games for companion apps on everyday mobile hardware interacting with console games.

Why not a map screen for my RPG´s?

KingKong

The idea of having an app that can control your 360/360 apps is cool. I would prefer to use my iPhone to navigate ESPN3, for example.

The real interesting thing is how it could integrate with games, letting your high quality multitouch touchscreen devices control aspects of games would be impressive

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
What's not to like in SmartGlass? It's a good idea. And as a future Wii U owner it will help justify extra investments in titles using GamePad, while showing Nintendo's technology in a greater light.

ElFly

This is more about commoditizing the tablets and taking further control of the living room, than about taking on the Wii U and improving videogame input options.

Gamers shouldn't worry too much about this, it isn't going to end in another "better with kinect" debacle.

SoulUnison

Banned
If I want to hold a tablet in my hands and mess around with it while I'm watching a TV show or movie, it's because I need to do something important that's separate from what I'm watching, or because whatever's on isn't holding my attention in the first place.

If something good is on, I don't want to pay *less* attention to it, and if for some reason I do, I could probably find more interesting stuff more quickly checking out the relevant Wikipedia or TVTropes page.

GQman2121

Banned
When a developer like Peter Molyduex is questioning the need for your tech, you know you done goofed.

Budgets are already ballooning out of control. Do you think the majority of devs are looking forward to having to plan for more shit to program for? I don't. It's a nice idea, but it just doesn't seem practical in the way it was presented.

You know how I know Jon Snow is north of The Wall? Because I pay attention the plot as I'm watching the show, I'm not distracted reading shit on my phone!

And basically this.

The entire time during the presentation I kept saying to myself, "no, I actually don't want to do that. What else you got?"

theDeeDubs

Would love this for a realtime map. Going into a pause screen takes me out of the action too often sometimes. My problem with some of the WiiU suggestions is it seems I will spend too much time looking at the tablet instead of my TV. Something purely additive for convenience, like a map or inventory, would be quite welcome though. Although as a fan of coverart, I'm not looking forward to a Better with Smart Glass under the Better with Kinect in clashing colors.

patapuf

using the tablet/smartphone and the controller at the same time seems uncomfortable. The non-gaming applications seem neat though

Hammer24

Banned
Budgets are already ballooning out of control. Do you think the majority of devs are looking forward to having to plan for more shit to program for? I don't. It's a nice idea, but it just doesn't seem practical in the way it was presented.

And if it enables devs to port easier between WiiU and 360, using SG as an substitute for the WiiU controller screen?

Davidion

Because it's more branding than substance, and it requires a tie-in to the xbox/live ecosystem. There's little potential for cross-device synergy because the different pieces of hardware aren't standardized and there's no guarantee that others will have them.

There's nothing wrong with the idea, in fact its existence should be kind of a no-brainer. However, two things have caused complaints.

1. The big branding move is unattractive for those who who can appreciate the idea but aren't really interested in the xbox ecosystem.
2. It's a very big move targeting the broader media-consumption market as opposed to the specific gamer market, which probably introduces more than its share of complaints re: gamer alienation.

derFeef

Very curious what the RL applications are going to be. I really like the concept and that you can use it without new hardware.

GQman2121

Banned
And if it enables devs to port easier between WiiU and 360, using SG as an substitute for the WiiU controller screen?

Is the 360 going to be their focus for the five years? If not, why would games be ported to or from the two consoles? From a power standpoint, next gen is going to look at lot like this gen. The Wii U will have its games, and the next box/PS4 will have their own.

dock

Smart Glass seems to have some useful features, like moving movies between devices seamlessly and keeping the current position.

If it can be used to display text dumps like Skyrim books on my iPad that would be a great thing, or allow me to have fast inventory management.

The bonus content, however, looks like garbage.

Mrbob

I only have two hands so I don't care about smart glass for gaming. Maybe if I had 4 it would be a more interesting concept.

Slime

Banned
The idea is leagues beyond PS3/Vita, but I'm not convinced the actual application will be anything to write home about. What they showed at E3 seemed really vague and featureless.

Hammer24

Banned
Is the 360 going to be their focus for the five years? If not, why would games be ported to or from the two consoles? From a power standpoint, next gen is going to look at lot like this gen. The Wii U will have its games, and the next box/PS4 will have their own.

Thats not the point.
There will always be third parties porting to all platforms available. Why not re-use assets produced for one platform (i.e. WiiU) on another platform? And as I understood SG, it´ll be no problem to use this functionality in next gen too.

GQman2121

Banned
Because it's more branding than substance, and it requires a tie-in to the xbox/live ecosystem. There's little potential for cross-device synergy because the different pieces of hardware aren't standardized and there's no guarantee that others will have them.

There's nothing wrong with the idea, in fact its existence should be kind of a no-brainer. However, two things have caused complaints.

1. The big branding move is unattractive for those who who can appreciate the idea but aren't really interested in the xbox ecosystem.
2. It's a very big move targeting the broader media-consumption market as opposed to the specific gamer market, which probably introduces more than its share of complaints re: gamer alienation.

I agree with this. Taking content (videos, music, etc.) from devices that are already in tens of millions of hands and using the xbox brand to display that content is a logical step. A no-brainer as you say. They just seemed to be more excited about it at the conference then they should be.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It depends on what the developer can get working with it. The product itself is appealing to me - I have NO extra costs on my end as the consumer and all it will ideally do is enrich my experience. Whether or not developers can make it worth enjoying remains to be seen, but I am optimistic.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Because it will be a tablet app from which the support is completely reliant on the developers to implement. It's not something that's included in the box with a 360 either, so my personal guess is that it will be completely barren of content because A) from a usability standpoint, using a bulky tablet next to your conventional gamepad is fucking stupid B) not nearly everyone has a tablet C) it'll cost time and money to create the content.

Why even spend time and money on a companion app that only a segment of the audience gets to see, instead of investing that money into the actual development of the game. I just don't think it'll ever take off unless microsoft hires people to create content for it.

Did anyone ask Ubisoft why they chose to integrate SmartGlass in Watch_Dogs?
In addition, Ubisoft has confirmed that the game will implement Microsoft’s SmartGlass technology that utilises an additional tablet or smartphone whilst playing the main game.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/e3-2012-watch-dogs-could-be-next-gen-will-use-smartglass/097531

Because it will be a tablet app from which the support is completely reliant on the developers to implement. It's not something that's included in the box with a 360 either, so my personal guess is that it will be completely barren of content because A) from a usability standpoint, using a bulky tablet next to your conventional gamepad is fucking stupid B) not nearly everyone has a tablet C) it'll cost time and money to create the content.

Why even spend time and money on a companion app that only a segment of the audience gets to see, instead of investing that money into the actual development of the game. I just don't think it'll ever take off unless microsoft hires people to create content for it.

It's a Windows 8 app, which means it will also work on Windows 8 PCs and not only on tablets.

Derrick01

Banned
Because its gaming uses are extremely small and limited, and when you're on stage demoing something that's not really gaming related at E3 we're going to get our pitchforks.

Me personally? I don't care at all about it and felt like it was wasting time. All this tablet/phone/app shit really burns me out.

tinfoilhatman

Smart Glass seems to have some useful features, like moving movies between devices seamlessly and keeping the current position.

If it can be used to display text dumps like Skyrim books on my iPad that would be a great thing, or allow me to have fast inventory management.

The bonus content, however, looks like garbage.

Absolutely this.

Why not a map screen for my RPG´s?

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about, if it's part of the API\Framework then "extra" coding for this shouldn't be a big deal, it should basically be semi-transparent to the developer, this is MS bread and butter skills were talking about here.

Bgamer90

Banned
I actually really like the idea of Smartglass. People can have Wii U like features without having to buy an accessory (since many people already have a smartphone or a tablet) so it's pretty cool that MS found a way for a seven year old console to have Wii U features.

I can see there being many things for smartglass such as viewing leaderboard stats, being able to update items, create plays for sports games and then transfer them over or control online leagues, make customizations and other changes for cars in your racing games, create levels for games and then transfer them over, etc.

Also, Watch Dogs will be using smartglass. And man...I can think of a more perfect game to be using the feature.

Striek

We've had games that have companion apps. They mostly suck. And all SmartGlass is (as described/shown in the E3 conference) is a fancy name for an app that MS hopes developers will use to provide their own companion apps.

Its not a new thing, its just a bigger committment.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Did anyone ask Ubisoft why they chose to integrate SmartGlass in Watch_Dogs?

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/e3-2012-watch-dogs-could-be-next-gen-will-use-smartglass/097531

It's a Windows 8 app, which means it will also work on Windows 8 PCs and not only on tablets.

So you're going to be playing Xbox games while balancing a laptop on your lap? Because in a desktop environment, what's going to be the appeal of a dedicated app for info when you have the entire internet in front of you?

Sounds stupid either way.

if anyone here has used the 'chrome to phone' extension in chrome, I feel like this is just a glorified two-way enhancement of that idea, with bells and whistles piled on top to try and make it look unique and original- not to mention patentable so they can sue anyone already doing this exact thing into oblivion. see? my hate for patent laws is already boiling.

Bgamer90

Banned
When a developer like Peter Molyduex is questioning the need for your tech, you know you done goofed.

Budgets are already ballooning out of control. Do you think the majority of devs are looking forward to having to plan for more shit to program for? I don't.

Well ubisoft already confirmed that they will be using smartglass for watchdogs.

EA already has a whole lot of apps in which people can view console stats from their smartphones/tablets so I can see EA supporting it pretty well. They basically already showed that Madden will have smartglass features.

So, developers are just given more options. Developers shouldn't have to be forced to use smartglass if they don't want to.

Raide

I am neither up or down on SmartGlass. Until a developer shows off something I am interested in, it will remain that way. Much like the Kinect was and how the WIi-U currently is.

I actually really like the idea of Smartglass. People can have Wii U like features without having to buy an accessory (since many people already have a smartphone or a tablet) so it's pretty cool that MS found a way for a seven year old console to have Wii U features.

Which ironically works out well for the WiiU - if developers add additional features for game + tablet, then roll those out for PS3+Vita and 360+whatever-you-have-lying-around it helps justify the whole point of the WiiU

Top Bottom