• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are several PS4 Pro games arbitrarily locking 1080p users out of downsampling?

Vashetti

Banned
I'm aware of tlou, being a last gen game that was feasible to run at downsample 4k. But it would appear that performance was the motivator to cut that feature. I like the downsampling in Titanfall. I prefer that it be implemented, but I'm not going to ask for it to be mandated when not feasible for optimal framerate and performance at 1080p.

From Eurogamer/Digital Foundry:

Bad News - 1080p users lose super-sampling on both 60fps and 30fps modes and we don't understand why: This just doesn't make sense. Despite handing in exactly the kind of optimisations required for a mostly silky smooth experience, Naughty Dog has completely cut off access to The Last of Us Remastered's higher resolution mode when the Pro is attached to a full HD screen, meaning that the enhanced super-sampling anti-aliasing is now completely gone. Adding to the frustration is that this applies also to the 30fps mode, which never had any performance issues at all. It's perplexing and we're not entirely sure why Naughty Dog has done this: simply rolling out the 4K optimisations would have kept everyone happy, regardless of the screen their Pro was attached to.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-us-remastered-patch-108-for-ps4-pro-analysed

They fixed performance for 4K and 1080p display users, and for no apparent reason removed the option to downsample for 1080p users.

With Scorpio going for system level supersampling and developers seem to have stopped including the option on the Pro lately, do you think Sony are planning to announce system level supersampling at E3 ?

That is the only good reason I could think of, as to why developers have stopped including supersampling on Pro.

If Sony don't plan on doing that though, they really need to start telling developers to include it now, because it doesn't make sense that early games include it and more recent games don't, even Uncharted 4 and Horizon do supersampling and they are two of the most technically impressive / graphically demanding games on they system.

pottuvoi

Banned
With Scorpio going for system level supersampling and developers seem to have stopped including the option on the Pro lately, do you think Sony are planning to announce system level supersampling at E3 ?
Could be.

It certaily should be very easy thing to do.
Simple option for always downsample 4k buffer to 1080p output.
Additional scaling options would be nice. (Box, gaussian etc.)

arhra

I prefer that it be implemented, but I'm not going to ask for it to be mandated when not feasible for optimal framerate and performance at 1080p.

Downsampling should have basically zero impact on performance.

If the framerate is suboptimal when downsampled to 1080p, to the point that 1080p TV owners shouldn't be subjected to it, then it's still going to be suboptimal at 4k, and 4k TV owners shouldn't be subjected to it either.

Either the performance of the >1080p mode is acceptable, in which case it should offer downsampling to give 1080p TVs better image quality, or the performance is unacceptable, in which case they should drop the resolution until it is acceptable (and still offer downsampling for 1080p TVs).

But they've already coded it into the metal. It won't be that easy.

Assuming their video output hardware is capable of doing the downsampling transparently (the same way it downsamples 1080 to 720 if you have the output set to that), it shouldn't be hard - issue an SDK update that deprecates whatever methods games are using to detect the TV type, and mandate that all performance/resolution options are offered to users via in-game menus for future games. For games built on older SDKs, spoof the TV output setting, and always respond as if a 4k TV is connected.

The only problem then would be the occasional game with no in-game settings, but where the high-res mode has a shoddy framerate, while the 1080p mode has no downsampling, but solid framerate, making the 1080p mode the preferred experience, even if it means changing the output setting manually if you have a 4k TV (yes, The Last Guardian, I'm looking at you). Maybe they could have a toggle in the settings alongside the Boost Mode option, if that was felt to be a big enough issue (or they could just patch the goddamn game).

Melchiah

I'm aware of tlou, being a last gen game that was feasible to run at downsample 4k. But it would appear that performance was the motivator to cut that feature. I like the downsampling in Titanfall. I prefer that it be implemented, but I'm not going to ask for it to be mandated when not feasible for optimal framerate and performance at 1080p.

There were absolutely no performance issues in the locked 30fps mode with supersampling, which was removed after minor framerate issues in the 60fps mode created bad publicity. Without those unflattering headlines following the release of Pro, we who prefer quality over performance could still be playing the game in that mode.

Freeman76

This is what happens when one company has a monopoly. They dont have to try atm. Hopefully the Scorpio release will push Sony harder...as for us 1080p owners this shit is wrong from Sony

T-0800

This is what happens when one company has a monopoly. They dont have to try atm. Hopefully the Scorpio release will push Sony harder...as for us 1080p owners this shit is wrong from Sony

Comments like this really annoy me. Horizon released 2 months ago. Probably the best looking game I've ever played and it supports downsampling. Yes it should be system wide but lets not spout nonsense.

Melchiah

If Sony had monopoly, they'd have "exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices", which isn't the case. It's not like there isn't competition in the gaming market.

Assuming their video output hardware is capable of doing the downsampling transparently (the same way it downsamples 1080 to 720 if you have the output set to that), it shouldn't be hard - issue an SDK update that deprecates whatever methods games are using to detect the TV type, and mandate that all performance/resolution options are offered to users via in-game menus for future games. For games built on older SDKs, spoof the TV output setting, and always respond as if a 4k TV is connected.

The only problem then would be the occasional game with no in-game settings, but where the high-res mode has a shoddy framerate, while the 1080p mode has no downsampling, but solid framerate, making the 1080p mode the preferred experience, even if it means changing the output setting manually if you have a 4k TV (yes, The Last Guardian, I'm looking at you). Maybe they could have a toggle in the settings alongside the Boost Mode option, if that was felt to be a big enough issue (or they could just patch the goddamn game).

I mean, people have been telling us that patching games with Pro mode would be easy.

And yet here we are, some devs are still struggling with it. Even Prey could get away with not giving Pro support at all.

Freeman76

Comments like this really annoy me. Horizon released 2 months ago. Probably the best looking game I've ever played and it supports downsampling. Yes it should be system wide but lets not spout nonsense.

Its not nonsense at all, you just disagree with it. This should be system wide and it isnt because sony dont have to try atm. Fact.

For TLoU: Remastered, part of it was because people complained that the framerate dropped lower than the PS4 version while supersampling. Doesn't make it right, but that's what happened.

So perhaps this is the way most games would be with supersampling on PS4Pro, and therefore it would take extra development time, so the devs don't bother. It's not like the Pro is selling hot, its still a very niche market.

pottuvoi

Banned
I mean, people have been telling us that patching games with Pro mode would be easy.

And yet here we are, some devs are still struggling with it. Even Prey could get away with not giving Pro support at all.
It has compiled executable, thus it has pro mode.
I do not see them to be strugling with it. (No crashes etc.)

It's more about allocating resources for additional features when having crunch to finalize the game.

Melchiah

It has compiled executable, thus it has pro mode.
I do not see them to be strugling with it. (No crashes etc.)

It's more about allocating resources for additional features when having crunch to finalize the game.

That doesn't explain the removal of supersampled 30fps mode from TLOU remaster though.

This is what happens when one company has a monopoly.

I don't think it has anything to do with Sony's sales domination. It seems to me that the product was rushed to market without Sony having a clear idea of the features it should have at a base level and the policies that Sony should have mandated regarding its support. Right now there is a not insignificant number of games out there in which PS4 Pro's enhancements compared to PS4 for 1080p TVs amount to little more than slightly higher framerates.

RudoIudo

An option should be mandatory , but I can see a reason from Sony: less power consumption for a feature most people wouldn't even notice and push the 4k TVs market.

Or maybe Sony is working on an OSlevel implementation feature like the Scorpio.

Yeah I would have thought that would be possible to do and definitely seems like the best solution at this point.

Melchiah

Indeed.
Removal of already released features is strange.

Not to mention, that it still remains unchanged in the official EU blog:
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...-4-and-the-last-of-us-remastered-for-ps4-pro/
For those with a 4K display, Uncharted 4’s story can be played on PS4 Pro at 1440p resolution, up from 1080p on PS4. Multiplayer’s fluid, high-framerate gameplay remains the same, but the resolution has also been increased to a full 1080p on PS4 Pro, up from 900p on PS4. The Last of Us Remastered, on the other hand, allows you to choose whether you want to play in the game’s original target framerate of 30 frames per second at 2160p or at a high targeted 60 frames per second at 1800p.

However, those using PS4 Pro with a standard high-definition (1080p) display will also benefit. Both Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us Remastered will render at the highest resolution and downscale the super-sampled image to 1080p, resulting in noticeably crisp and smooth graphics.

No such benefit for 1080p users anymore, eventhough it was and still is advertised.

Haribokart

Banned
System-wide downsampling announcement at E3? I cannot imagine the general opinion on this issue (and what MS are doing) has gone unnoticed by Sony, and it would explain why dev support for the feature has basically been dropped.

Melchiah

This needs to be addressed and I put responsibility with Sony. Frankly, it will be a long time until I upgrade to 4K. PS5 or beyond.

Agreed. It's quite likely, that the PS5 will be out by the time 55" full-array HDMI 2.1 LEDs will be affordable (below 1000€). I won't be buying a 4K TV before that. Unfortunately, at the moment it seems like 1080p Pro users are increasingly being neglected when it comes to image quality.

Tyaren

I was so annoyed by this that I bought a $4k 4K TV.

Welp

bcc.gif

Kinyou

An option should be mandatory , but I can see a reason from Sony: less power consumption for a feature most people wouldn't even notice and push the 4k TVs market.

Or maybe Sony is working on an OSlevel implementation feature like the Scorpio.
That's the hope, but it's weird that Sony would keep so quiet about it

(then again, they also kept the boost mode a secret and that was also something people had been eagerly asking for)

Lnds500

In the video playing during the pre-show at E3, Cerny says that around half of the PS4 Pro users have a 4K TV. So there is no excuse for not supporting half their user-base in some cases.

ForboJack

Neo Member
I always had the impression, that Sony doesn't want games to look too much better on Pro. If they would look extremely different, that would fragment their playerbase into 2 groups. For me the Pro was always for PS VR, 4K TV and nothing more.

In the video playing during the pre-show at E3, Cerny says that around half of the PS4 Pro users have a 4K TV. So there is no excuse for not supporting half their user-base in some cases.
Later in the same video he said the PS4 pro can downscale 4k to 1080p so 1080p users can enjoy the extra whatever...

So, no more excuses Sony...

Vashetti

Banned
I didn't expect a formal announcement on stage for a firmware update about this

But some comment, something at least at the show...

I didn't expect a formal announcement on stage for a firmware update about this

But some comment, something at least at the show...

From whom? It seems as if you and few people in this thread missed the fact that Sony doesn't dictate these implementation to devs. They also didn't do so for ND. The idea is that developers have the choice to use the power as they see fit. This is an issue you would need to address the developer of said games. You use the term "Arbitrarily" and that is not how these choices work. This doesn't happen overnight and these titles do have a submission process for the updates. What Sony did mandate was performance in relation to PS4 release, supposedly. So if the implementation of supersampling causes the title to perform worse than that may be a reason devs chose to remove it.

Vashetti

Banned
From whom? It seems as if you and few people in this thread missed the fact that Sony doesn't dictate these implementation to devs. They also didn't do so for ND. The idea is that developers have the choice to use the power as they see fit. This is an issue you would need to address the developer of said games. You use the term "Arbitrarily" and that is not how these choices work. This doesn't happen overnight and these titles do have a submission process for the updates. What Sony did mandate was performance in relation to PS4 release, supposedly. So if the implementation of supersampling causes the title to perform worse than that may be a reason devs chose to remove it.

Downsampling a 4K image to 1080p is identical performance to rendering that 4K image.

That's why I use the term 'arbitrarily'. Digital Foundry have corroborated this in their testings. When the Pro is connected to a 4K TV, you can freely change between the 2160p and 1080p resolutions in display settings.

That's why they're so flummoxed at Naughty Dog fixing TLOU's performance on PS4 Pro for all users and then stripping out the downsampling option for 1080p users.

Top Bottom