• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are several PS4 Pro games arbitrarily locking 1080p users out of downsampling?

GHG

Gold Member
This is the thing we need to get a Twitter campaign going for.

Instead we have man children trying to rally the troops (and fanboys) for a meme filled Twitter campaign about crossplay that only effects a couple of kids games.

I digress.

Melchiah

I love my Pro and I play on a 4K TV but holy fuck this is infuriating.

I'm glad competition will soon be a thing.

If the competition will have a system-wide supersampling on all games, I really hope that forces Sony's hand. It would be both amusing and sad, if they finally offered that for 1080p owners after the X's launch, a whole fucking year after the Pro launch. Even if they do so, I'm not getting my hopes up for older games like TLOU getting it retrospectively. Not to mention, that my third playthrough was already ruined when they removed it. Picking up from where I left off after all this time wouldn't fix it; the long pause diminishes the immersion, and I have no desire to start again from the beginning.

Eventhough I'm mostly satisfied with how the Pro handles games on 1080p displays, like Horizon for example, I'll be very hesitant to buy another mid-gen upgrade from them.

After PS4 Pro launched, I made a thread about how all new PS4 games should have a a few simple mandatory graphical options on PS4 Pro. The thread got less than two pages of replies.
Even here, no one cared.

Maybe there aren't that many Pro owners on Gaf, or the Internet in general. And the majority of who own one also own a 4K tv.

Tyaren

Is there any plausible excuse for many games not to offer downsampling? Does that have to be programmed too? Is this hard to do? Does it claim system power? Seriously, where is the problem? :/

DR2K

Banned
Is there any plausible excuse for many games not to offer downsampling? Does that have to be programmed too? Is this hard to do? Does it claim system power? Seriously, where is the problem? :/

csnt sell those 4K sets if 1080p customers are satisfied

vpance

Instead we have man children trying to rally the troops (and fanboys) for a meme filled Twitter campaign about crossplay that only effects a couple of kids games.

I digress.

😆

Ahasverus

I digress.
What I find incredible is that Game "Press" is so fucking terrible they'd rather run a piece of "Best Cosplay of E3" than grow a pair and ask Sony directly in their 38484920 interviews. Like, really? NOBODY? no Jason Schreier, nor Digital Foundry, nor NXGamer, nor IGN, nor anybody? For fucks sake!

I digress.

Crossplay would benefit way more people than the issue discussed in this thread. Both issues are stupid and shouldn't exist, though.

E92 M3

Good thing Xbox One X has it at an OS level. Really no reason for Sony to not force it either - it benefits everyone.

I ended up buying a 4K TV because of this shit. I'm happy I did, but every single game should support downsampling. It better be part of the next major OS update.

I digress.
Whynotboth.gif

I digress.
Kids games? Lol

This is a total bummer. I actually got my Pro for free due to some shipping errors but I can't imagine plunking down $400 thinking most games will have supersampling only to get some games removing the feature and others not even allowing it.

Total bullshit to be honest.

neoemonk

I'm disappointed in the Pro overall. I would have been better off keeping my OG PS4. I never intended to get a 4K TV, and I thought that 1080p owners would get more love.

If I could find someone to trade me a PS4 and like $50 I probably would do it.

Vashetti

Banned
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...t-created-one-of-the-most-distinct-rpgs-ever/

I posted:

Why doesn’t the game downsample for 1080p displays on PS4 Pro?

Why in general is there a growing trend of games that provide no benefits for PS4 Pro owners with 1080p displays?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1340484

Why is it impossible to get a response from anyone on this, be it Sony, Shuhei Yoshida, Square Enix, and other developers?

Square Enix games that provide no downsampling/graphical benefits on PS4 Pro for 1080p display owners:

Kingdom Hearts 1.5/2.5 HD

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 HD

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Why? Why? Why? Why have 1080p owners been misled and deceived since the initial PS4 Pro unveiling?

Anyone care to upvote/like it and reply and/or post their own replies?

leeh

I digress.
They're not mutually exclusive you know.

Also it's being short sighted and just salty/defensive saying what you have about cross-play.

sn0man

I'm still salty about TLOU debacle.

1080p owners were mislead, plain and simple. Really pissed me off when they took it out of the Last of Us. This console was a huge waste of money for me.0

Agreed. I was absolutely livid, since it was removed while I was playing the game through. I haven't touched it since. It's all the more annoying, that this bullshit makes me feel bitter about one of my favorite games.

They patched out the downsampling a week or so after I purchased the Pro. I remember them announcing support for TLOU and me getting a it on sale for $10 in anticipation of purchase. I was enjoying the early levels on my friend's 1080p 100" projector. It was clear the differences between 1080p 60fps and the 4K mode. The downsampling was incredible. We were both impressed and had discussed letting go of Forza and Gears and committing to Sony this gen as the primary console.

A week or so later it was all gone. I took the Pro back and lost $30 on the deal with GameStop. I didn't care and wanted to send a message. My 1080p plasma is 3 years old and has very low hours on it. It'll last me another 4 years easy.

Sony has until launch and reviews of xbonex launches this fall. If not I'll skip PS4 for a few more years. The whole thing is funny because when PS4 launched I couldn't quite convince my friends to go PS4 (despite explaining the power advanstages) because they loved gears and forza so much. I kept saying that a GT7 is coming but Sony botched that as well. I had wore them down, they're all in their 30s like me and parents; they don't have the time to game on all systems so they would have followed me to Sony.

I'll still collect the odd PS4 game here or there on Black Friday and clearance sales but I won't play them for a few years. The upscaling was the final nail in the coffin for me and my friend group.

He works for Naughty Dog, the studio behind Uncharted and The Last of Us.

If I remember correctly, I think one of the patches for The Last of Us Remastered got rid of supersampling, which no one has been able to figure out why.

Maybe Sony told them to remove it? Gotta push those 4k TV's.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Most games aren't even 4k native and I doubt we will see many in the future. If they reallywanted to push 4k TVs then how about releasing a console that can actually handle native 4k/HDR
That also has nothing to do with the issue. 1440p already looks better on a 4K, than 1080p (without downsampling) does on a 1080p. Requiring games to be native 4K just to clear some checkbox is dumb.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Seriously, it's infuriating.

I know people at Sony and dev studios like Naughty Dog are reading this. Just make a fucking statement already!
My guess is that in a case of TLOU someone made a bad judgment call (that they thought was a good call), and we're stuck with the 1.08 patch - and they don't want to put any more time into patching that game over and over. And they also probably don't want to say that they don't want to put more time into it, as it'd sound bad.

Vashetti

Banned
Are we sure they are making an article about it? This is one issue they should've tackled a LONG time ago...

Yes, if you look back through the pages I posted a response from dark10x (John at DF).

They're definitely working on it.

Vashetti

Banned
Another response I had from dark10x last week I forgot to post

dark10x said:
Hey man, sorry for the late reply!

If you couldn't tell, things have been super busy. Was at E3 then just cranking away on content.

We're still discussing this as an article and it's not clear who will tackle it (likely Rich, I'd say). Unfortunately, still no concrete plans in place just due to the limited amount of time and staff.

This will not be an issue on Xbox One X, interestingly, and maybe if we tie that into it (adding competition to the mix) it will help light a fire under third parties (or not).

Dante83

Banned
Downsampling means that the game's frame rate might take a hit if it already has frame rate issues at higher res. I am kind of 50/50 on this. As a 1080p TV owner, I do enjoy the more stable frame rates at 1080p, but there are also games that run fine at higher res with no issues, and that's where I will be a little disappointed. To cater to everyone, I would like to see more games having options to take advantage of better frame rate and better resolution modes.

pottuvoi

Banned
Downsampling means that the game's frame rate might take a hit if it already has frame rate issues at higher res. I am kind of 50/50 on this. As a 1080p TV owner, I do enjoy the more stable frame rates at 1080p, but there are also games that run fine at higher res with no issues, and that's where I will be a little disappointed. To cater to everyone, I would like to see more games having options to take advantage of better frame rate and better resolution modes.
Yes, option in games would be nice.
One thing good in doing downsample within game is that developers can do custom solutions for it, some which could improve quality or performance.

Top Bottom