• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are several PS4 Pro games arbitrarily locking 1080p users out of downsampling?

DSN2K

I feel it's 100% deliberate if that's for a technical reason or simply Sony want to push 4K Content for 4K TV's it's debatable.

downsampling to 1080P looks pretty fantastic. It has definitely put me off buying a 4K TV anytime soon.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Lord Error said:
My understanding is that all games on Pro that render at say 1440p, or 1800p do in fact upscale that to 4K - somewhere - before sending that 4K signal to the detected 4K TV
No, as a general rule games output a 'display compatible' resolution. Display hw/system takes care of any scaling needed to match the connected display resolution - if/when they're different.

As I mentioned - there may be "potential" benefits to scale on the game side and perform final operations in native resolution for quality purposes, but given the trade-offs involved I'd expect it to be a rare thing at best. I certainly wouldn't expect it in games that do quick Pro support with resolution-doubling and not much else.

Would they have to be tricked that they are displaying on the 4K TV or what?
That's what I've been saying all along - option would be best placed in system display options, so yes, from game perspective it'd be identical to displaying on a 4k display.

sujay

https://community.playstation.com/c...ral.topic.html/the_last_of_us_remas-ynl8.html

We've just launched a new update for The Last of Us Remastered and The Last of Us Remastered: Left Behind that introduces expanded display settings for players using a PlayStation 4 Pro system. Starting today, PS4 Pro players will be able to select from new menu options and presets that provide additional configurations for resolution, framerate, and shadow quality. These new display settings options offer greater flexibility to PS4 Pro players connected to a 4K display, as well as traditional HD displays through supersampling. Additionally, today's patches resolve bugs and exploits identified in Factions Multiplayer.

Melchiah

https://community.playstation.com/c...ral.topic.html/the_last_of_us_remas-ynl8.html

We've just launched a new update for The Last of Us Remastered and The Last of Us Remastered: Left Behind that introduces expanded display settings for players using a PlayStation 4 Pro system. Starting today, PS4 Pro players will be able to select from new menu options and presets that provide additional configurations for resolution, framerate, and shadow quality. These new display settings options offer greater flexibility to PS4 Pro players connected to a 4K display, as well as traditional HD displays through supersampling. Additionally, today's patches resolve bugs and exploits identified in Factions Multiplayer.

Finally! Now I can get back to my third playthrough, and meet Bill again.

Lnds500

Sure took them a while. And I guess that is not a signal for good news to come for system wide downsampling... damn Sony :(

NewDust

I think you can remove the listing for Gran Turismo Sport. The Beta is no longer available, and the full game does allow for down sampling.

I'd also suggest to replace The Last of Us:
Remastered
with a strike through, to make it more clear the game now again does support down sampling. You either play unpatched (with down sampling) or with the latest patch, which also has down sampling.

Vashetti

Banned
I think you can remove the listing for Gran Turismo Sport. The Beta is no longer available, and the full game does allow for down sampling.

I'd also suggest to replace The Last of Us:
Remastered
with a strike through, to make it more clear the game now again does support down sampling. You either play unpatched (with down sampling) or with the latest patch, which also has down sampling.

Just updated both listings, take a look!

INC

Bf4 say super sampling enabled, but game felt jittery, could been the server tho

Will bf1 benefit from this?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Bf4 say super sampling enabled, but game felt jittery, could been the server tho

Will bf1 benefit from this?

Isn't BF4 a non-pro game that only boost mode helps? If it runs at 900P how is SS going to help?

Top Bottom