• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Why are soldiers sleeping in the Capitol?

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014

Seriously, what in the world is going on?
Have we been invaded by aliens? Are we at war?
Sounds like you just got a PS5 or Series X and haven't watched the news much the past week. Short version --> a bunch of nuts got mad that Pence wouldn't say do over like Trump was telling the whole world he would do unless he was a coward. Then those dudes ran wild through the capital. People got killed, including an officer. Pipe bombs were found too. Now the house is debating impeachment, and the FBI (I think) has come across threats of political violence. So they are bring in the Nat'l Guard to be in place in case things get bad again.

As an aside, did you get the PS5 or Series X?

FunkMiller

Aug 14, 2014
Maybe you haven't been paying attention but we just got our asses kicked.
understand pop culture GIF

• Fire
Reactions: Tesseract

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009

Seriously, what in the world is going on?
Have we been invaded by aliens? Are we at war?

The police weren't successful at containing the rioters last time so we have national guard camping out until at least inauguration day. National guard being deployed for major riots isn't the rarest thing in the world.

Were you asleep on January 6 or wut.

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
The police weren't successful at containing the rioters last time so we have national guard camping out until at least inauguration day. National guard being deployed for major riots isn't the rarest thing in the world.

Were you asleep on January 6 or wut.

Why would they need so many soldiers that they don't even have room for them to sleep? Are we being invaded by the Russians?

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
This will probably work. Riots are all about momentum. When your crew matches up and sees a slew of dudes with automatic weapons, it tends to encourage good behavior. Every big city in America should’ve looked like this for a few days at the beginning of the George Floyd insanity.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Feb 21, 2018
And how long did it take Portland other cities?

Oh those were just regular people and regular business.

Now that its politicians well thats a different story. Same thing happened when they went to Durkens house and Garcetti's house.

So I guess all of congress are bunker boys now scared and afraid amrite? Surely twatter will mock them endlessly. Pelosi can be bunker booze girl if she wants.

Falcs

Banned
May 5, 2011
Australia
Seems insanely over the top for it to be just a reaction to last weeks capital building incident.

1. There were thousands and thousands of people last week because Trump called for them all for weeks to come and PEACEFULLY protest.
2. There's no way that many people are going to show up there again on Jan 20, regardless of security level. Why would they when there has been no widespread plan for it like there was for Jan 6th?
3. If they only had 1/3 of armed security there now, you can be bet your ass Trump supporters are not going to come and try anything. You really think they all have a death wish?

Something else is going on.
That or it's all just for show and a complete waste of money.

Last edited:

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
Even my friends overseas are asking me "are you ok? are you safe?"

I tell them I have no idea what they are talking about, and they show me these pics and other news articles they are seeing about "massive riots in all 50 cities" etc.
Seems to me there's just a LITTLE overreaction to what happened on the 6th...but that's just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: cryptoadam

Xyrmellon

Mar 30, 2010
Florida
Before January 6th: Trump supporters are a bunch of inbred rednecks that don't have a high school education.

After January 6th: Trump supporters are a highly organized, cunning group of domestic terrorists that threaten our everyday way of life and we must take the utmost precautions they don't destroy the country.

I agree, overkill to scare everyone or something's up.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
Why would they need so many soldiers that they don't even have room for them to sleep? Are we being invaded by the Russians?

Its the national guard & its a limited time deployment. Seems more than justified given law enforcement could not adequately do the job.

But if you wanna talk wasteful military spending I'm all ears.

showernota

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2020
Seems covid proof. Oh wait they didn't care anymore probably

The risk is very low.
CumulativeCasesCumulative
Hospitalized
Cumulative
Recovered
Cumulative
Deaths
Military110,018
(+12,973)
945 (+64)72,647
(+13,179)

Mass Shift

Jun 12, 2019
We don't have sleeping accommodations for them at the Capital is the obvious answer. We also haven't had to mobilize a standing force in DC since Civil War.

But I've surmised that the threat is far more serious than the public has been informed. You have Congressional members even opting to bring their own firearms for their own protection. As always they are privy to info that we are not.

Which means that the threat is probably credible enough to warrant their presence AND the optics.

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
We don't have sleeping accommodations for them at the Capital is the obvious answer. We also haven't had to mobilize a standing force in DC since Civil War.

But I've surmised that the threat is far more serious than the public has been informed. You have Congressional members even opting to bring their own firearms for their own protection. As always they are privy to info that we are not.

Which means that the threat is probably credible enough to warrant their presence AND the optics.
I find it hard to believe there would be that many retards in the US that they would need this kind of response. Then I remember I’m for too optimistic about the number of retards out roaming around.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Banned
Jun 9, 2004
Even my friends overseas are asking me "are you ok? are you safe?"

I tell them I have no idea what they are talking about, and they show me these pics and other news articles they are seeing about "massive riots in all 50 cities" etc.
Seems to me there's just a LITTLE overreaction to what happened on the 6th...but that's just me.
It’s really not an overreaction, which is why it’s so concerning to other countries that have for so long looked to America as a place that gets this right. Well, we can’t really say that anymore.

• Empathy
Reactions: Mass Shift

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
Maybe overreaction is not the right word. Maybe the right word is overcompensation. Its a bit too late though since what happened on the 6th already happened.

Halo is Dead

May 20, 2018
Maybe overreaction is not the right word. Maybe the right word is overcompensation. Its a bit too late though since what happened on the 6th already happened.
Sorry but you would have to be a fool not to do something like this after the capitol attack. Especially after there was footage of cops letting people in for some reason.

Reactions: belmarduk

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA

Threats have been identified. It's needed, unfortunately.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/fox-...ble-threat’-following-capitol-mayhem.1586274/

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Feb 21, 2018
So Nancy finally sent her storm troopers and secret SS police to the capitol?

I don't even see badges or identification on half these people. I bet they have secret vans parked their as well to snatch up people and wisk them away to the secret gulags Trump was sending Portlandians too back over the summer.

Can't wait for all the articles form the media decrying the NG and the federal SS troops.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
So the soldiers dont get hotels or rooms?

One of the things you'll read in every other book if you read any sort of military stuff is that you learn is how to sleep anywhere, at any time. If you're waiting for transport, whatever, it's time to take a nap, you never know when you'll get the next opportunity.

Reactions: ArtemisClydeFrog

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
Sorry but you would have to be a fool not to do something like this after the capitol attack. Especially after there was footage of cops letting people in for some reason.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too, are they preparing mainly for the scenario that more Trump sympathizing soldiers/cops letting people in again? Wouldn't that be treason, though?

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
Threats have been identified. It's needed, unfortunately.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/fox-...ble-threat’-following-capitol-mayhem.1586274/
They won't tell us of course but I'm really curious how they are finding these credible threats. Even for the Jan 6 protests when Trump/Parler/conservatives weren't banned/shutdown yet, I saw no sign of any massive organization happening online.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
They won't tell us of course but I'm really curious how they are finding these credible threats. Even for the Jan 6 protests when Trump/Parler/conservatives weren't banned/shutdown yet, I saw no sign of any massive organization happening online.

The same way they become aware of domestic and foreign threats, I presume.

Halo is Dead

May 20, 2018
Yeah that's what I was thinking too, are they preparing mainly for the scenario that more Trump sympathizing soldiers/cops letting people in again? Wouldn't that be treason, though?
Possibly. Those cops are being investigated now and as head of security, I would think it's important to have more and different security forces on the grounds.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: pramod

ArtemisClydeFrog

Gold Member
Nov 7, 2020
So Nancy finally sent her storm troopers and secret SS police to the capitol?

I don't even see badges or identification on half these people. I bet they have secret vans parked their as well to snatch up people and wisk them away to the secret gulags Trump was sending Portlandians too back over the summer.

Can't wait for all the articles form the media decrying the NG and the federal SS troops.

Why would the National Guard be wearing badges? They have their last name on their uniform to identify them, as well as their rank.

Reactions: Maiden Voyage