• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are some making a big deal that the Xbox Home UI is going to run at 1080p?

Does it matter that the Xbox Home UI is going to run at 1080p?

• Who cares it’s just a Home Screen.

Votes: 219 67.8%
  • No, I’m canceling my preorder.

Votes: 104 32.2%

• Total voters

MaulerX

This only matters to people who spend more time navigating the UI rather than actually playing games.

Besides, if this means more RAM for games (what most people actually buy a console for) then what's the big deal?

Drewpee

Banned
Help me understand why some people are making a big deal over the fact that the home UI will run at 1080p? When 90% of us won’t even spend 10 to 15 minutes looking at the home UI. I don’t understand why, I mean at least for me I just look for something then I get to playing. As interesting as the Home UI for the PS5 is I’m not going to spend too much time on it.

We all know the answer. Because Sony.

It has been slim pickings for fanboys lately with Xbox dropping so much positive news. Gotta throw the jabs where they can find room.

It’s a bit surprising but I can’t say it’s a big deal for me. I’ve got a 60 inch 4K TV and the X1X dashboard looked fine on it. You could tell it wasn’t 4K but it wasn’t exactly blurry.

If it means giving a bit more RAM to games then I would prefer that anyway, although you would think they would have enough resources to do it regardless. I believe the Series X reserves 2.5GB for the OS, do we know yet how much the PS5 reserves?

IDappa

People dont jack off at their games either (at least most don't).

It's cool that you really don't care, and I personally don't think it's a deal breaker at all of course, but it's still a bummer, and I'm talking generally here.

If the OP's question is genuine and really wants to know why a lot care about a sharp looking UI or a UI designed for 4K, then the most helpful answer is from people who do put value on such things.

But maybe I have too much faith here, and all the OP was looking for is other people who share his opinion and tell him that it's just fanboy drivel (Although I'm sure some of the criticism is fanboy driven as is always the case, but only some).
Guess that depends what games people play..

I honestly would like someone to tell me why they think it is a deal breaker to them other than "The PlayStation has a 4k UI lul".

U don't see the need for 4 K UI when 1080 P would suffice. Unless people are using their consoles UI as a screensaver I just don't know

MrFunSocks

Banned
Remember how ever since the series x got announced and was more powerful than the ps5 and the narrative then changed to TF and power not mattering anymore? And then how we started seeing certain fan bases start the “who even wants native 4K? I prefer 1080p or checker boarding because 4K is a waste!” narrative? How come now 4K matters all of a sudden?

There lies your answer.

mejin

do you green folks really believe MS put 1080p UI on series X thinking about saving memory? lol

MS will fix this shit, relax.

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
Absolutely worthless poll congrats.
Some people care about it, 1080p UIs don't look good on a big 4K screen. That's a fact. I don't even have perfect eyesight and I feel that way.
No deal-breaker yeah but still.

Tulipanzo

It's not a particular problem with the UI itself, but it's symptomatic of the fundamental lack of ambition with a lot of aspects of the Series X.
Over last gen:
Controller - unchanged
Games - nothing new ("for up to two years")
UI - same
Console design and naming - very similar

None of these choices are going to ruin your experience, but they contribute to the general sense of apathy towards the XBox's launch.
The UI is the latest example: there's a TON to discuss about the PS5 UI, be it negative or positive.
The XBox's UI? No point, they haven't even bothered upping the resolution.

MaulerX

It’s a bit surprising but I can’t say it’s a big deal for me. I’ve got a 60 inch 4K TV and the X1X dashboard looked fine on it. You could tell it wasn’t 4K but it wasn’t exactly blurry.

If it means giving a bit more RAM to games then I would prefer that anyway, although you would think they would have enough resources to do it regardless. I believe the Series X reserves 2.5GB for the OS, do we know yet how much the PS5 reserves?

Sony has not said a word on this. The PS4 Pro uses 3.5GB - 4GB for the OS. However, the PS4 Pro has extra Dram to help with the OS. Sony was real keen on showing the extra Dram for the OS tasks on the Pro.
They have not made such a claim for the PS5. In fact, their official PS5 tear down video makes zero mention of any extra Dram to aid in OS tasks. Seems like Sony are saving the worst news for last if the PS5 ends up with less RAM for games.

Ar¢tos

The final version will very likely be 4k.
Assuming it's 1080p to save memory for games makes no sense. With the jump from HDD to SSD you can make much more efficient use of memory and the little memory this would save would make very little difference.

Ovek

7Member7
It's pretty lame that they haven't got it working in 4K on "the most powerful" console, it doesn't surprise me as the XBox Home UI has been complete shit since they changed it from the original Blade dash on the 360. But saying that it really isn't the end of the world.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Remember how ever since the series x got announced and was more powerful than the ps5 and the narrative then changed to TF and power not mattering anymore? And then how we started seeing certain fan bases start the “who even wants native 4K? I prefer 1080p or checker boarding because 4K is a waste!” narrative? How come now 4K matters all of a sudden?

There lies your answer.

:LOL: this is trying very hard, everything is a console war ammo. I guess this is why you will defend this as a non issue because you feel it would be a loss to your team and a victory for your enemies if you did. There is a big difference in how your 3D game worlds deal with dynamic resolution, temporal reconstruction, etc... that makes it possible to tolerate lower than native display resolution and still manage visuals that please users. 2D items such as text and GUI do not work well with the same tricks you would use for 3D and thus are the items that are kept in native 4K for games that render at lower resolutions.

I find it funny to believe that ML would magically allow games to use super low resolution textures and enhance assets and there is so much headroom left yet this is not something they are expected to be able to use for their console Home Screen/system UI and be expected for it to be 4K on an 8K ready console.

To customers that expect improvements to the UI performance, to the store, and to game library exploration and discoverability I would think premium level of polish for the UI would be important. You might spend a small percentage of time outside of games, but the better that time feels abd the more you can get done, the better it is for the overall experience of these multimedia social beasts.

Last edited:

IDappa

It's not a particular problem with the UI itself, but it's symptomatic of the fundamental lack of ambition with a lot of aspects of the Series X.
Over last gen:
Controller - unchanged
Games - nothing new ("for up to two years")
UI - same
Console design and naming - very similar

None of these choices are going to ruin your experience, but they contribute to the general sense of apathy towards the XBox's launch.
The UI is the latest example: there's a TON to discuss about the PS5 UI, be it negative or positive.
The XBox's UI? No point, they haven't even bothered upping the resolution.
Xbox just had a major update to their UI and storefront which has changed and sped the UI up significantly. For you to say it's the same is very disingenuous or you don't play on the console. PlayStations UI has added features the x1 has had for the past 8 years.

The controller honestly doesn't need anything added (except maybe a dedicated push to talk button so people can be in a party and still talk ingame ala PC). It is pretty much perfect as you can see from the PS5 controller as that is pretty much turning into a Xbox controller with its form factor and added trigger feedback.

Console design is completely different from a xbone and x1. Don't see why you'd say it's the same.

What do you mean no "new" games?. The past two years there has been releases and in the next two, well we shall see won't we.. imma bet the next two will be better than xboxes last two.

Tbh your post screams that you haven't actually played on Xbox .

IDappa

:LOL: this is trying very hard, everything is a console war ammo. I guess this is why you will defend this as a non issue because you feel it would be a loss to your team and a victory for your enemies if you did. There is a big difference in how your 3D game worlds deal with dynamic resolution, temporal reconstruction, etc... that makes it possible to tolerate lower than native display resolution and still manage visuals that please users.

2D items such as text and GUI do not work well with the same tricks you would use for 3D and thus are the items that are kept in native 4K for games that render at lower resolutions.

I find it funny that believing that ML would magically allow games to use super low resolution textures and enhance assets and there is so much headroom left yet this is not something they are expected to be able to use for their console Home Screen/system UI and be expected for it to be 4K on an 8K ready console.

To customers that expect improvements to the UI performance, to the store, and to game library exploration and discoverability I would think premium level of polish for the UI would be important. You might spend a small percentage of time outside of games, but the better that time feels abd the more you can get done, the better it is for the overall experience of these multimedia social beasts.
The UI has been improved. It just had a major overhaul to the design and storefront.

Let's not kid ourselves here it's not like Sony has pushed their UI to be totally different. You look at the PlayStation 3's upto the PS5 and you can tell they have been just refined upon over time same as Microsoft with Xbox.

He defends it as a non issue because that's what it is. Unless you root for the other team ofcourse. What benefit does a 4k UI have over a 1080p res other than the obvious. What are people doing with their consoles UI to need it in 4k.

Its shit that its 1080p, wont feel as next gen as ps5 but not a deal breaker, MS have been knocking it out the partk with regards to the series x/s so was due a bump i guess

Tulipanzo

Xbox just had a major update to their UI and storefront which has changed and sped the UI up significantly. For you to say it's the same is very disingenuous or you don't play on the console. PlayStations UI has added features the x1 has had for the past 8 years.

The controller honestly doesn't need anything added (except maybe a dedicated push to talk button so people can be in a party and still talk ingame ala PC). It is pretty much perfect as you can see from the PS5 controller as that is pretty much turning into a Xbox controller with its form factor and added trigger feedback.

Console design is completely different from a xbone and x1. Don't see why you'd say it's the same.

What do you mean no "new" games?. The past two years there has been releases and in the next two, well we shall see won't we.. imma bet the next two will be better than xboxes last two.

Tbh your post screams that you haven't actually played on Xbox .
You missed my point. These things don't NEED to change, but it's hardly exciting of worth discussing if they don't, hence the apathy.

XBox has "major updates to their UI" almost every year, often to bad results. Even your best attempt at selling it to me is "it's faster", which is to be expected. As a P.S., MS unfortunately removed snap-in features three years ago.
The XBox controller is again functional, but changes are unremarkable. It is now significantly less feature-rich than either Nintendo or Sony's offering, which leads to less discussion, excitement, and interest in the product.
Console design, it's another black box. Again, not a problem of internal performance or objective quality (the controller, UI etc. "work"), but how much do you genuinely have to say about it? The design is deliberately plain. It the SeS case, it's a near 1:1 replica of a 1S. Compare how much discussion has happened over the PS5's; even when negative, it's something new to discuss, which has shown as a lot more engagement and interest.
"We shall see" is the most lackluster and uninteresting attitude to games I can think of. Again, not going to generate excitement.

Ultimately, it should be no surprise people are far less interested. By your own points there's hardly anything to say about it.
I would also say that going all "console war" on it is quite silly. I got an XB1, but that doesn't change that the Series launch is utterly anemic. If anything, the fact they can't excite somebody who can technically use the new UI, controller, and most games already makes it worse.

ReBurn

Gold Member
it came out in 2017. It not having it then was kind of fine for a pass even though the PS4 pro came out a year earlier and has 4K UI and isn’t as powerful. There’s a lot more 4K TVs out now than in 2017 and this next gen is about 4K as much as anything. Msoft even has the x listed as 8k capable on its spec sheet
I don't understand this reasoning. What does 2017 have to do with it? The reasoning for it then is just as valid today. On One X the system resources required to render and operate the dashboard at 4K were given to developers to use for games as opposed to being reserved for the OS. Its not like games are less resource hungry in 2020 than they were in 2017. The menu on Series X appears to be clear, readable and performant. Even though there are more 4K TV's in 2020, which is completely irrelevant IMO, those extra pixels aren't free. So I really don't understand why someone would rather have system resources allocated to more pixels for a menu than to gameplay. Seems like an odd preference.

ZywyPL

Banned
It's almost 2021 where 720p isn't even considered as HD anymore, and it's time for 1080p to slowly start dying as well. Especially from a company that pushes 4K narrative so strong in recent years.

Great Hair

Banned
1080p on a 4K TV is like watching a 800x600 image on a 1080p. On my 2nd TV, PC Monitor 32" 1080p ... even 720p is unwatchable. Playing switch games on a 4K TV must be raffff.

The issue would be minor, if the dashboard was like ps3´s XMB. But with all those tiles, metro style rememba? with thumbnails low-res 1080p or lower ...; can´t they use SFS on the dashboard :p

Last edited:
OP you gave too much freedom of choice for the poll, this can lead to chaos.
Only the extremes count, there is no room for people who are just either slightly annoyed or disappointed--you need to feel like the 1080p dashboard is going to murder kittens or it's the best invention since sliced bread.

Seriously though, MS is selling us this piece of high technology made to take advantage of your 4(8)K HDR TV, to be used as a showcase of the latest display technology.... Then the dashboard is more or less the same as what the 360 had in the end, it seems to offer nothing special except for people who constantly switch games. It just shows a low level of care on MSs part.

IDappa

You missed my point. These things don't NEED to change, but it's hardly exciting of worth discussing if they don't, hence the apathy.

XBox has "major updates to their UI" almost every year, often to bad results. Even your best attempt at selling it to me is "it's faster", which is to be expected. As a P.S., MS unfortunately removed snap-in features three years ago.
The XBox controller is again functional, but changes are unremarkable. It is now significantly less feature-rich than either Nintendo or Sony's offering, which leads to less discussion, excitement, and interest in the product.
Console design, it's another black box. Again, not a problem of internal performance or objective quality (the controller, UI etc. "work"), but how much do you genuinely have to say about it? The design is deliberately plain. It the SeS case, it's a near 1:1 replica of a 1S. Compare how much discussion has happened over the PS5's; even when negative, it's something new to discuss, which has shown as a lot more engagement and interest.
"We shall see" is the most lackluster and uninteresting attitude to games I can think of. Again, not going to generate excitement.

Ultimately, it should be no surprise people are far less interested. By your own points there's hardly anything to say about it.
I would also say that going all "console war" on it is quite silly. I got an XB1, but that doesn't change that the Series launch is utterly anemic. If anything, the fact they can't excite somebody who can technically use the new UI, controller, and most games already makes it worse.
I haven't tried to sell you on anything just pointing out your statement was wrong. Snap features were most likely underutilized and a drain on resources so I can see why they dropped the feature.

Adding gimmicks to controllers may provide points of discussion but they also increase the price of the product. If it's not necessary or not a feature that is used them why bother having it. The touch pad is just used a big button mostly used for ingame menu shortcuts, that's not impressive to me and many others. Once again I'll repeat it's easy to seem like you're innovating when you're catching up to your competition and introducing features to your UI and controllers that the competition has already had for years.

Console design has more to it than let's design a cube/rectangle/clamshell. I think there's only so much you can do with a design of a console while taking in account performance and cooling. On one side you try to have the best hardware with optimal cooling in a small form factor (Xbox) or you try and stick to a more traditional console style while trying to stand out (playstation) I personally think the PS5 is ugly and massive (which is why I will wait for a redesign). Console appearance is subjective you say uninteresting and uninspired I say element and mature.

I'm not going to list the previous two years and next two years of exclusives for you. I'm sure you are able to do so yourself hence why I didn't bother to elaborate. That is if you even care to do so.

Who's less interested?, This is all your opinion. I've seen plenty of excitement about xbox from games to hardware capability. I think you're up your own arse a bit here taking your own word as gospel.

Tbh I think both console launch games are fairly lacklustre and don't believe either one is better than the other.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
He defends it as a non issue because that's what it is. Unless you root for the other team ofcourse. What benefit does a 4k UI have over a 1080p res other than the obvious. What are people doing with their consoles UI to need it in 4k.

Reading text, looking at games in the store, searching and finding content, etc... stuff where sharpness matters in terms of QoL. Is it life or death? Nope, but is it meaningless and just important if you root for the other team? Nope.
There are tons of reasons why PS4 Pro shipped with a modest RAM increase and no UHD BD upgrade over base PS4, but they are still disappointing in a premium console update especially the latter (despite the target of $399 which meant not raising the price of the console).

Last edited:

FrankWza

I don't understand this reasoning. What does 2017 have to do with it? The reasoning for it then is just as valid today. On One X the system resources required to render and operate the dashboard at 4K were given to developers to use for games as opposed to being reserved for the OS. Its not like games are less resource hungry in 2020 than they were in 2017. The menu on Series X appears to be clear, readable and performant. Even though there are more 4K TV's in 2020, which is completely irrelevant IMO, those extra pixels aren't free. So I really don't understand why someone would rather have system resources allocated to more pixels for a menu than to gameplay. Seems like an odd preference.

yours is the opinion. The fact is there are many more 4K TVs and, more will be purchased come Christmas and to pair with next generation consoles.

Aidah

Guess that depends what games people play..

I honestly would like someone to tell me why they think it is a deal breaker to them other than "The PlayStation has a 4k UI lul".

U don't see the need for 4 K UI when 1080 P would suffice. Unless people are using their consoles UI as a screensaver I just don't know
I would have an extremely hard time believing that someone had decided on a Series X, then the 1080p interface changed their mind. I pre-ordered a Series X then canceled, but it has nothing to do with a 1080p interface of course.

As for why care, functionally there wouldn't be any difference if a UI designed for 1080p was displayed at 4K. However if it was designed for 4K especially TVs with a significant size, there could be a functional/usability difference due to the fact that you can go smaller with certain elements while still maintaining their clarity. However, I doubt that any UI would be designed completely around 4K this time around, as the UI still needs to work well for people with 1080p TVs, smaller TVs, and people who sit at nowhere close to the appropriate distance in relation to the TV size.

The other reason (and, due to the above, I think the bigger reason for the current time) is the visual aspect. I can only speak for myself, but I like a nice looking UI, and would like it much more if it really popped on my large 4K TV. It's something that I'll be looking at, using, and customizing time and time again for the however many years that these consoles are going to be around. Microsoft and Sony know that a good chunk of people care about the visual aspect, and so they put a lot of effort into making their UI stylish, while providing many visual customization options on top. Tile and border colors, themes, backgrounds..etc. You see how Nintendo fans were bitching to Nintendo about adding themes and backgrounds for the longest time before they ran out of breath (I dislike the fact that the Switch UI is 720p in TV mode by they way. Not only does it make it look fuzzy, but I also feel like it undermines the hybrid concept).

So there you have it. Visual pleasure and potentially opening the door for better functionality/usability (at least partially this time around) in short.

Now a 1080p interface can still look kind of good on a large 4K TV, and it certainly is functional. It just isn't going to look impressive.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Because it's weird.

It's 2020 and a UI running in 1080p is just odd. Not to mention it may just look shit on big 4K screens.
Not on decent TVs with good upscaling. RTINGS shows plenty of examples of modern TV upscaling in their reviews.

Are you saying blu-rays are becoming unwatchable too and that only Ultra HD movies are acceptable?

Last edited:

Arun1910

Not on decent TVs with good upscaling. RTINGS shows plenty of examples of modern TV upscaling in their reviews.

Are you saying blu-rays are becoming unwatchable too and that only Ultra HD movies are acceptable?

No, don't remember saying that. I remember just saying that I think it's weird though.
If a requirement is that everyone has a good TV for good upscaling I don't think that's great.

And no, that's a dumb thing to ask. and also makes 0 sense. When did I see that the UI was "Unwatchable" ???

ReBurn

Gold Member
yours is the opinion. The fact is there are many more 4K TVs and, more will be purchased come Christmas and to pair with next generation consoles.
So then explain how more 4K TVs in homes justifies the dashboard UI take resources away from games in order to run at native 4K instead of upscaled 1080p.

IDappa

Reading text, looking at games in the store, searching and finding content, etc... stuff where sharpness matters in terms of QoL. Is it life or death? Nope, but is it meaningless and just important if you root for the other team? Nope.
There are tons of reasons why PS4 Pro shipped with a modest RAM increase and no UHD upgrade over base PS4, but they are still disappointing in a premium console update especially the latter (despite the target of $399 which meant not raising the price of the console).
Those points are hardly a deal breaker especially since most wont even see a difference in ui resolution.

Each to their own I suppose.

MrS

Banned
I think it's a storm in a teacup, personally. As long as the games are in 4K or close to, it shouldn't matter. Just my $0.02.

Ulysses 31

No, don't remember saying that. I remember just saying that I think it's weird though.
If a requirement is that everyone has a good TV for good upscaling I don't think that's great.

And no, that's a dumb thing to ask. and also makes 0 sense. When did I see that the UI was "Unwatchable" ???
You're saying that 1080p on 4K tvs may look bad and so 1080p blu-rays may look bad too with your logic.
Unless you have this weird position that only 1080p UIs can look bad while 1080p content can still look good on 4K TVs.

I'm sure you can still play Dark Souls III/Bloodborne on a PS4 Pro fine on a 4K TV despite the UI being 1080p.

These kinda threads are always an enjoyable read for the chuckle worthy excuses people will make instead of just shrugging it off.

A 1080 UI for a 4K centric console is a bit naff. Is it a big deal? Not really. Just accept it and move on with your day.

FrankWza

So then explain how more 4K TVs in homes justifies the dashboard UI take resources away from games in order to run at native 4K instead of upscaled 1080p.

Easy, the same way having series S takes away resources from developing games for more powerful systems. Or you take away 5 games quick resume that way less people will utilize compared to a 4K UI and make it 2 or 3 games. You brought up one x not having 4K UI and that was 2017. Now the series x is listing 8K compatible but has a 1080p UI. So they’re going to jump a generation in graphics but they’re going back 2 generations in UI? It’s a bad look. They need to change it and I think they will so you’ll get what’s needed.

Top Bottom