• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are some making a big deal that the Xbox Home UI is going to run at 1080p?

Does it matter that the Xbox Home UI is going to run at 1080p?

• Who cares it’s just a Home Screen.

Votes: 219 67.8%
  • No, I’m canceling my preorder.

Votes: 104 32.2%

• Total voters

Derktron

Banned
Help me understand why some people are making a big deal over the fact that the home UI will run at 1080p? When 90% of us won’t even spend 10 to 15 minutes looking at the home UI. I don’t understand why, I mean at least for me I just look for something then I get to playing. As interesting as the Home UI for the PS5 is I’m not going to spend too much time on it.

Last edited:

Fake

As John from Digital Foundry said, you spend a huge amount of time on the console UI no matter what its your console of choise.

Again, the series X have enough power to delivery a beautiful UI. What I've seeing are poor excuses for the 'most powerful console' to not run their UI at native 4k on a decent 4K TV.

No offense for those who will play series X on a old CRT.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Because all I've been hearing about this past year is about how powerful the series x is. No excuses, right?

Funny that the truth is we've been hearing all year is a whole lot of screeching that nothing matters except the games.

Now the same users that screech "BUT GAEMS GAEMS GAEMS!!!" are all of a sudden home UI aficionados and that UI resolution is the one and only important thing about consoles.

LQX

Will wait until the PS5 SSD size is confirmed before caring. If anywhere close to what is being reported at under 700GB then I would rather live with less snazzy UI demanding less space. That said, I hate how bleak the XSX UI is. At least allow wallpapers

Andodalf

Banned
As John from Digital Foundry said, you spend a huge amount of time on the console UI no matter what its your console of choise.

Again, the series X have enough power to delivery a beautiful UI. What I've seeing are poor excuses for the 'most powerful console' to not run their UI at native 4k on a decent 4K TV.

No offense for those who will play series X on a old CRT.

I mean, do you want a higher res UI at the cost of less RAM for games? It's fine if so, but it's not a no brainer.

FrankWza

Funny that the truth is we've been hearing all year is a whole lot of screeching that nothing matters except the games.

Now the same users that screech "BUT GAEMS GAEMS GAEMS!!!" are all of a sudden home UI aficionados and that UI resolution is the one and only important thing about consoles.

inall fairness, when it was about the size and design of PS5, saying you don’t stare at your console didn’t fly well. Even though you will look at the UI more than you stare at your console it now a meaningless thing because you don’t look at the UI you look at games. It’s on both sides.

Justin9mm

It doesn't sound like a big deal but I think it is.

As mentioned, you spend a lot of time in that UI. It's a big part of your console and for what is basically an almost 2021 next gen machine it should look crisp and next gen not the same old shit. It's got the horsepower for it, it makes no sense!

Big fail on Microsoft's part.

Isn't this supposed to be only in the prototype units that were sent out to influencers for preview, and not in retail units?

If I were a potential Xbox Series X customer, I wouldn't worry about it until it's confirmed to be 1080p in the retail units too (highly unlikely, and most probably a day one system update) and even if it is, Microsoft are really good on their software side and their UI/UX team will fix this ASAP.

FrankWza

I'll worry about it if It actually becomes an issue. Xbox One X only renders the dashboard at 1080p, right? It's not a problem on that machine and it's pretty much the same UI.

it came out in 2017. It not having it then was kind of fine for a pass even though the PS4 pro came out a year earlier and has 4K UI and isn’t as powerful. There’s a lot more 4K TVs out now than in 2017 and this next gen is about 4K as much as anything. Msoft even has the x listed as 8k capable on its spec sheet

FrankWza

Isn't this supposed to be only in the prototype units that were sent out to influencers for preview, and not in retail units?

If I were a potential Xbox Series X customer, I wouldn't worry about it until it's confirmed to be 1080p in the retail units too (highly unlikely, and most probably a day one system update) and even if it is, Microsoft are really good on their software side and their UI/UX team will fix this ASAP.

They really should. It’s not a good look. I think they will

Kagey K

Banned
I’d be more annoyed at playing B/C games and trying to remember which games are HDR/non HDR and having to go into my settings and untick HDR every time I have to go play a game that doesn’t support it.

If making the UI 4K HDR had that side effect, I’ll gladly read menus at 1080 for the limited time I’m on them.

If the PS5 had a 1080 UI. I would get a PS5 pro. AppleTv UI bothered me so I bought a AppleTv 4K. But no I wouldnt switch platforms.

Because this is a 4k console in 2020, and all the marketing says it's the world's most powerful console that is focused on 4k. Obviously the UI is 1080p by choice and not because they can't do it or that it doesn't have the power. Like I said in some other thread, if they want to free up more RAM resources they should have just added more ram dedicated to the UI, it's like the most basic stuff and bare minimum that I would expect.

To me, it detracts from the overall quality and package and is seriously detrimental to the overall presentation. Of course I would never base my console choice on something as silly as the UI or the UI resolution, but I think it's as embarrassing as it's unacceptable to not render the UI at native 4k for this kind of premium 4k product, and with that kind of marketing that they have.

Just the fact that PS4 pro does it makes it even more embarrassing, and I'm baffled that even the X1X doesn't render the UI at native 4k. So.. I don't know if it's a "big deal" and it wouldn't put me off buying either console, but it's fucking stupid. And it has nothing to do with console-warring.

I'm even more astounded that the Switch UI renders at 720p in TV mode, but then again nobody should expect anything by Nintendo when it comes to resolution but.. yeah in 2020 it's just beyond unacceptable to me. Like I said, it's just bare fucking minimum.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Because like 7 years ago, when you're on the losing under-powered out-engineered side of things, you need to cling to any minor positive that you have in order to justify and validate your love for the plastic fucking box that you sleep with every night.

That's why certain people and by certain people I mean PlayStation fans are making it a big deal. But it gets better, these are the same people who are highly unlikely to ever own an Xbox console and thus, would never see the home screen dashboard or user interface to begin with but yet they feel the need to bash it for some odd reason. Go figure that one out.

For me, it's real simple, the UI could be 240P. I don't give a flying fuck because I would be looking at the UI for maybe 5 seconds while I scroll over a few spots and press A to play the game that I want to play. I much rather see that 1 or 2GB of RAM get added to the already 10GB of RAM at the higher speed for developers than making the UI 4K.

What's even better is that for what seems like forever, PlayStation fans brag about we have the best exclusive games but yet, when something like having an extra GB or two of RAM would help make their games even better, they go the opposite way. LMFAO. It's fucking hilarious to me.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Because like 7 years ago, when you're on the losing under-powered out-engineered side of things, you need to cling to any minor positive that you have in order to justify and validate your love for the plastic fucking box that you sleep with every night.

That's why certain people and by certain people I mean PlayStation fans are making it a big deal. But it gets better, these are the same people who are highly unlikely to ever own an Xbox console and thus, would never see the home screen dashboard or user interface to begin with but yet they feel the need to bash it for some odd reason. Go figure that one out.

For me, it's real simple, the UI could be 240P. I don't give a flying fuck because I would be looking at the UI for maybe 5 seconds while I scroll over a few spots and press A to play the game that I want to play. I much rather see that 1 or 2GB of RAM get added to the already 10GB of RAM at the higher speed for developers than making the UI 4K.

What's even better is that for what seems like forever, PlayStation fans brag about we have the best exclusive games but yet, when something like having an extra GB or two of RAM would help make their games even better, they go the opposite way. LMFAO. It's fucking hilarious to me.
I63u92H.gif

Kagey K

Banned
the ps4 pro can do 4k ui why not the xsx?

btw the key word here is presentation and its weird MS are not pushing that on their most powerful console.
So many people on this forum argue that 4K is a waste of resources and developers are wrong for chasing it, yet demand the UI is in 4K?

So 4K is unimportant in the game itself, but greatly important on the dashboard you use to launch said game?

In what world does this even start to make sense?

IDappa

I'll tell you the one and only reason why, you can just ignore everyone else.

Fanboys need a win so they'll take this and run with it just like they did with the now debunked console overheating debacle.

This is a non problem and most people wouldn't even realise it wasn't 4k unless told so before hand. You'd think giving Devs some extra juice would be applauded but nope everything has to be used as ammunition for stupid console warring.

Kagey K

Banned
I'll tell you the one and only reason why, you can just ignore everyone else.

Fanboys need a win so they'll take this and run with it just like they did with the now debunked console overheating debacle.

This is a non problem and most people wouldn't even realise it wasn't 4k unless told so before hand. You'd think giving Devs some extra juice would be applauded but nope everything has to be used as ammunition for stupid console warring.
And in the meantime they’ll tell you 1440 or 1080 checkerboarded are good enough.

Because this is a 4k console in 2020, and all the marketing says it's the world's most powerful console that is focused on 4k.

The Xbox One X was marketed as the world's most powerful console that was focused on 4k, but had a 1080p UI.

According to DF, Microsoft planned 1GB RAM set aside for the dash being 4k when devs were like hey, we can use that for games.

If their reasoning for having the UI be 1080p is the same, ie more resources for games, on Xbox Series - then I don't think most will care at all.

Aidah

So many people on this forum argue that 4K is a waste of resources and developers are wrong for chasing it, yet demand the UI is in 4K?

So 4K is unimportant in the game itself, but greatly important on the dashboard you use to launch said game?

In what world does this even start to make sense?
I don't think many wouldn't mind their games topping out at 1080p on their 4K console either.

Top Bottom